2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Ed Cooley cares so much about his Providence reputation and being loved in Friartown that he is allowing a massive distraction to hover over his team in a game against a blue blood that they have a very good chance of winning. Does that sound right?
The mental gymnastics on the Friar board are pretty funny, reminds me of hurley leaving us lol. If he was staying he would have shut this shit down
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Ed Cooley cares so much about his Providence reputation and being loved in Friartown that he is allowing a massive distraction to hover over his team in a game against a blue blood that they have a very good chance of winning. Does that sound right?
The mental gymnastics on the Friar board are pretty funny, reminds me of hurley leaving us lol. If he was staying he would have shut this shit down
If he stays and didn't shut all this down it's then very strange indeed.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

These quotes wouldn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies if I were a PC fan.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

These quotes wouldn't exactly give me the warm and fuzzies if I were a PC fan.
Friar Board up to 47 pages on Cooley moving on. Comments now are more about Pitino, who would leave, who would stay, etc. Leaning more and more towards he is gone.

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 5/?page=47
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Zero chance. Zero
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I know it's a ego thing for coaches when they get better jobs

But does it not make more sense to try to achieve greater heights at PC rather than G-Town?

He'll just go be in the shadow of John Thompson. No way in hell does he have the same success he had.

Why not maintain legend status at PC?

Like what if Mark Few left Gonzaga? His legacy is way less interesting and his accomplishments would likely mean less.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I was in Europe recently and stores were selling Georgetown gear…didn’t see any PC gear. Or URI for that matter. Georgetown has international name recognition.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Zero chance. Zero
Yea man, maybe I’ll be wrong! So be it. We’ll see!

People have had much bigger and ridiculous opinions on here than me thinking Cooley stays at PC.

Also shouldn’t you be bragging about how much money you donate to the program?

Big shot!
0 x
Go Rhody
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

It's been stated over and over and has never been more true. It is a business. With the creation of the transfer portal and the NIL, good programs don't stress over losing players and good players care more about their NIL deals than losing their coach. Boheim was correct when he stated that it was the reason coaches like Roy Williams, Coach K and Jay Wright walked away. He eventually walked back his remarks but he did tell us something we already knew. Cooley is going nowhere and he is enjoying the drama and angst that he is causing the PC fanbase becuase they booed his team the last two games of the season.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

There's nothing that Dodg'em Cooley could say that would stop the chatter. It won't stop until Georgetown hires someone else.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago I know it's a ego thing for coaches when they get better jobs

But does it not make more sense to try to achieve greater heights at PC rather than G-Town?

He'll just go be in the shadow of John Thompson. No way in hell does he have the same success he had.

Like what if Mark Few left Gonzaga? His legacy is way less interesting and his accomplishments would likely mean less.
Legend status at pc? Has he made a Final Four yet? I'm thinking he is just making pc fans happy by making the NCAAT.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago I know it's a ego thing for coaches when they get better jobs

Legend status at pc? Has he made a Final Four yet? I'm thinking he is just making pc fans happy by making the NCAAT.

If legend status is Final Four, then URI has zero legends according to you?
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

If legend status is Final Four, then URI has zero legends according to you?
We are talking about pc here, not URI. I don't know what they think a legend is. Just guessing
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I mean he's already their second best coach ever
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

I assume you mean Pitino is #1. I guess you don't remember Joe Mullaney.
2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Or Dave Gavitt?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

People have had much bigger and ridiculous opinions on here than me thinking Cooley stays at PC.

Big shot!
You must be reeling …diggin way back on that one.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Big shot!
Reeling? Nah I don’t really care whether he stays or goes.

Just wondering why you devote so many posts on my very legitimate opinion on this, but crickets on everyone else’s ridiculous dumb predictions this season and last few years.
1 x
Go Rhody
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Been told this afternoon by a source Cooley is as good as gone as they’ve about to offer twice his salary at PC, one very important fact that is Cooley’s daughter attends Georgetown
Last edited by Dino611 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s not that impt tho unless she plans on living there post graduation. She graduates this May.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Big shot!
Reeling? Nah I don’t really care whether he stays or goes.

Just wondering why you devote so many posts on my very legitimate opinion on this, but crickets on everyone else’s ridiculous dumb predictions this season and last few years.
“My very legitimate opinion.” LOL Don’t stop being you 15.
Zero chance, zero.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Didn't someone say there is ZERO percent chance he leaves? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Cooley is enjoying all the attention he is getting. He really loves getting his ugly face in front of every camera possible. let's not forget that he has won 3 NCAA games in 11 years at PC. I have to admit that he is a 1st team All-American in promoting himself.

He talks about all the attention his staff gets EVERY year but I only remember the Michigan alleged interest a few years ago. Does anyone remember anyone of his staff members moving on from PC? He is a professional BS artist and has taken PC to the cleaners with his salary increases
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

I wasn't counting Pitino because he was only there two years.

I was just thinking about him being second to Dave Gavitt and I hardly knew who Joe Mullaney is

Either way he already has more tournament appearances than any other PC coach

If he's not second best ever now then he would be very soon.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Because G'town has the history, and you're not coming in to be the guy right after The Guy....there been spacers in between. This is perfect for Cools.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sorry....not many do, really.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Been told this afternoon by a source Cooley is as good as gone as they’ve about to offer twice his salary at PC, one very important fact that is Copley’s daughter attends Georgetown
why would Cooley care about where Copley's daughter goes to school?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

You guys say you know a lot about basketball. Mullaney took PC to the NIT (when it was important) 6 times, winning it twice. He then took them to the NCAA's a few times. He won over 300 games at PC. He left them in 1969 to coach a team called the Los Angeles Lakers. Many do.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You guys say you know a lot about basketball. Mullaney took PC to the NIT (when it was important) 6 times, winning it twice. He then took them to the NCAA's a few times. He won over 300 games at PC. He left them in 1969 to coach a team called the Los Angeles Lakers. Many do.
I never ever said I know a lot about basketball, but...go to a game anywhere and ask the fans around you if they know Joe... better yet, ask active players anywhere...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I never ever said I know a lot about basketball, but...go to a game anywhere and ask the fans around you if they know Joe... better yet, ask active players anywhere...
Why don't we ask people here?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sure, but I was thinking more of the people that would make a material difference being swayed by the legend-ness...like players, but go ahead. Put my vote in for NHOH.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Didn't someone say there is ZERO percent chance he leaves? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And then doubled down on it!!

Already lost. There is no possibly way the chances Cooley goes to Georgetown is zero. It was never zero since the initial discussion started.
Unrealistic.
Even if Cooley stays at PC it was still never a Zero chance.

Sometimes posters on this board can be so preposterous it defies all the logic of the universe.

This prediction is headed for the KB looniest post hall of fame!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Been told this afternoon by a source Cooley is as good as gone as they’ve about to offer twice his salary at PC, one very important fact that is Copley’s daughter attends Georgetown
why would Cooley care about where Copley's daughter goes to school?
They were good friends in college.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Didn't someone say there is ZERO percent chance he leaves? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Already lost. There is no possibly way the chances Cooley goes to Georgetown is zero. It was never zero since the initial discussion started.
Unrealistic.

Sometimes posters on this board can be so preposterous it defies all the logic of the universe.

No...because if he doesn't go, it will be "hurr durrr...see? I told ya! zero percent!"
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sure, but I was thinking more of the people that would make a material difference being swayed by the legend-ness...like players, but go ahead. Put my vote in for NHOH.
Anyway, it's not like he coached there a hundred years ago. He was the coach right before Gavitt was there. He left for the pros, then came and coached for a few more years and was the coach right before Pitino was there in the 80s.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Anyway, it's not like he coached there a hundred years ago. He was the coach right before Gavitt was there. He left for the pros, then came and coached for a few more years and was the coach right before Pitino was there in the 80s.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... aches.html
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

And he taught my high school team the matchup zone. Pretty cool experience. We used it to throttle Rhody Jay and his deadly three point prowess.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Been told this afternoon by a source Cooley is as good as gone as they’ve about to offer twice his salary at PC, one very important fact that is Cooley’s daughter attends Georgetown
Pretty sure she graduates this May, so not sure how relevant that is
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mullaney was definitely a legend , played with Cousy @ Holy Cross too

Cooley would be # 3 behind Mullaney and Gavitt unless of course he stayed another 10 years and broke all their records
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Active players? Most people that age don't know anything that wasn't on ESPN or TikTok.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Active players? Most people that age don't know anything that wasn't on ESPN or TikTok.
If one thinks that players (really the only party that matters) care about "the rich history"....then they would be familiar with Joe...right?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If one thinks that players (really the only party that matters) care about "the rich history"....then they would be familiar with Joe...right?
I don't know where I said that current players know who Joe Mullaney is. I'm sure none of them know who Frank Keaney is either. Hell, I'm sure very few of them know who John Wooden is. I was talking about basketball fans, not current players.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't know where I said that current players know who Joe Mullaney is. I'm sure none of them know who Frank Keaney is either. Hell, I'm sure very few of them know who John Wooden is. I was talking about basketball fans, not current players.
Got it. And I do appreciate the history and tradition stuff. I was just saying that it has little impact on future success (as in, being the reason the players go there) and it sounds like we kind of agree
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Got it. And I do appreciate the history and tradition stuff. I was just saying that it has little impact on future success (as in, being the reason the players go there) and it sounds like we kind of agree
Oh, nobody is going to PC because of Joe Mullaney, nobody is coming here because of Frank Keaney and I'm pretty sure nobody is even going to UCLA because of John Wooden. I don't even remember what my point was, but it wasn't about that.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Oh, nobody is going to PC because of Joe Mullaney, nobody is coming here because of Frank Keaney and I'm pretty sure nobody is even going to UCLA because of John Wooden. I don't even remember what my point was, but it wasn't about that.
Lol....me either, but just make it muddier ...I would go to a school because of John Wooden. :lol:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Unrealistic.

Lol yea, 99% of your predictions were wrong this season. You got the Dayton game right, congrats! 23-8! Attendance records in Kingston! We’d make a run in the A10 tourney!

Someone else said we’d be top 4 A10 and on the bubble, nice!

Another said we’d be in masks for 3 years at games!

Another said Harris would average 10 and 5!

Countless others have also said ridiculous shit, those are just a few that stand out to me.

But yea, me thinking Cooley would stay at PC over Georgetown is so outlandish. Got it.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They knew they had to get it done before the PC game ends
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cooley will exit Providence with FOUR straight losses to end his Friars tenure.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bye-bye Easy Ed... You'll love a couple years in DC
0 x