2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Hmm

Beware the "two shites" moment....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago I take it as he’s fighting for a raise for himself and his staff
which hoyatown would gladly fund....
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I think it’s definitely possible he goes to GTown especially if they get in the 5-6 M annually range
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Hmm

Beware the "two shites" moment....
First he pretended he didn't hear the question. Then he gave canned answers that you have heard before and in most of those cases it preceded a coach leaving. There were more than a few red flags in how he reacted to that question. He may say No but he is getting offered and he has indicated he will listen.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

That quote is hilariously bad if you’re a PC fan, like he’s not dumb he knows what the speculation is.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I love how he says our staff like they may poach his assistants and not himself!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Feed this into my veins hahahaha
This would be a blow to the conference and another red flag, imho, if FM leaves UMass after 1 year.

Martin may have taken the UMass job not fully realizing how difficult it is at present to find success and make the NCAA field in the A-10. Other league coaches hired along with him last year may be reaching that same conclusion as well.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Feed this into my veins hahahaha
This would be a blow to the conference and another red flag, imho, if FM leaves UMass after 1 year.

Martin may have taken the UMass job not fully realizing how difficult it is at present to find success and make the NCAA field in the A-10. Other league coaches hired along with him last year may be reaching that same conclusion as well.
Or he could be a FL native so is going to be connected to a job like that which is often a place for retreads.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Georgetown and St John's both considering Pitino

Looks like it could be St John's

Iona made a great move 5 years ago. No issues at all over the 5 year time period and now P6 schools knocking on his door.

St. John's is expected to turn to Pitino as its top candidate to replace Anderson, sources told ESPN. A New York native, the Hall of Fame head coach has won two regular-season championships and one conference tournament in his three seasons with the Gaels.
Pitino, 70, is considered arguably the best college basketball coach of his generation and his hire would be the type of big-name needed to ignite a St. John's fanbase that hasn't seen an NCAA tournament win since 2000.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ources-say
We don't know yet that there have been no issues
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

class of 86 wrote: 1 year ago Ed cooley is a providence guy and is all about Rhode Island basketball. Growing up a hard luck case off Thurbers ave....Working his way through the system largely through Rhode island basketball and earning a good RI salary. Its certainly good enough to survive on in Rhode Island with good quality of life .(where's he living now?)He's also probably concerned about legacy.His alleged deeparture is just a stunt started by other coaches to hinder his recruiting through the portal.His silence also calms the boosters should they get 2 rambunctious because of what's happened to the fryers the last 2 weeks and any bad news that could happen as early as Thursday
Someone, Cooley or other, will be hired by Georgetown before the transfer portal really gets going with decisions being made. This is not a stunt by other coaches when it comes to the transfer portal
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago

It’s not salary, it’s NIL. The school is working to accommodate as best they can.

It’s not zero that he goes to Georgetown but it’s close. Ed’s only planning to coach for 5 or so more years, so a full rebuild at this stage of his career isn’t something that’s very enticing.

PC is not prepping contingency plans, but I was told that there’s been back channel interest from pretty high profile names in the event that there is an opening.
Rebuild? Huh? How many transfers are playing at pc?
Lol are you really comparing Georgetowns situation to PCs? Are you serious?

Georgetown has been an absolute laughing stock with Ewing, PC one of the most consistent teams in the Big East since Cooley took over.

Either you’re trolling or truly think Georgetown and PC are In similar program positions, in which case you have zero idea what you’re talking about.
Georgetown is without a doubt a better program with a higher upside than PC. Coaching matters, but once Georgetown gets the right coach in place they'll be back ahead of PC on a consistent basis again
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Thats a steal for Miss.
0 x
GO RAMS
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Gross.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

So he won’t be replacing Cooley?
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Coach Beard is Ted Lasso’s assistant…

Season 3 starts Wednesday
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Welcome to Georgia Tech Damon Stoudamire
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Former URI assistant Desmond Oliver fired as ETSU head coach after 2 seasons.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No longer the coach but staying on as a “Special Advisor for Athletics”

Fran’s not shedding a tear over this move.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Any ideas who Temple may look @ ??
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Matt Langel
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Langel all the way and he will be a boom or bust hire.
His offensive philosophy is awesome but will he be able to get the athletes to compete at that level is the only question.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I’m
Dino611 wrote: 1 year agoMatt Langel
Great coach !
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good call guys makes tons of sense
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I’m
Dino611 wrote: 1 year agoMatt Langel
Great coach !
Agreed - he was a name I wanted Rhody to go after if Miller wasn't an option.

Also, wondering if the fact that the AAC will be different will matter to the next Temple coach. The AAC is set to lose Houston, Central Florida and Cincinnati to the Big 12 for next season, but will add SIX teams from Conference USA (UAB, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, UTSA, Rice and North Texas) to become a 14 team league. Houston and Cincinnati have been consistent NCAA teams since the AACs inception and it would be similar to the A10 losing Dayton and VCU (or from back in 2013, losing Temple and Xavier which they did).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rumor Anthony Grant may retire.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Interesting but not surprising, given some of his public comments this season and what he and his family have gone through.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Rumor Anthony Grant may retire.
Well we know who will be brought up to replace him, regardless if it's legitimate or not...
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

With the Cooley rumors - is everyone just dismissing that PC wouldn’t find another mil or two a year to pay Ed?

This is would be Nap’s first big issue as an AD and I’m sure he wouldn’t want to go down as the guy that let PC’s local legend walk to an in-conference opponent.

If Cooley ever left it would be personal ego/drive to resurrect GT because of his John Thompson connection. Not money.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago With the Cooley rumors - is everyone just dismissing that PC wouldn’t find another mil or two a year to pay Ed?

This is would be Nap’s first big issue as an AD and I’m sure he wouldn’t want to go down as the guy that let PC’s local legend walk to an in-conference opponent.

If Cooley ever left it would be personal ego/drive to resurrect GT because of his John Thompson connection. Not money.
Agree Blue. But I think he will need the money to be at a certain level to justify it in public opinion in the still unlikely scenario he accepts it. I also think if he ultimately is concerned about image he has to balance how much he uses this as leverage back to PC. Don’t think they can pay him 5mm a year which is a crazy figure for a coach with 1 sweet sixteen in his career. Regardless it’s great theater.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago With the Cooley rumors - is everyone just dismissing that PC wouldn’t find another mil or two a year to pay Ed?

Agree Blue. But I think he will need the money to be at a certain level to justify it in public opinion in the still unlikely scenario he accepts it. I also think if he ultimately is concerned about image he has to balance how much he uses this as leverage back to PC. Don’t think they can pay him 5mm a year which is a crazy figure for a coach with 1 sweet sixteen in his career. Regardless it’s great theater.
I think they can. In NCAA credits alone he’s bringing that raise back to the university every year. Estimates put his contract already in the 3.4-3.5 range.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steviep123
Sly Williams

Cooley doesn't strike me as a guy that cares what anyone thinks (case in point him ducking out of the URI game a couple of years ago). Cooley's going to either stay or go based on what he thinks is best for him and his family and if he can get a few extra dollars to stay he will.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Georgetown has a higher offer ceiling no? Their money is very green.
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

I think they can. In NCAA credits alone he’s bringing that raise back to the university every year. Estimates put his contract already in the 3.4-3.5 range.
I'm not doubting that they can but will they? Can they sell that internally? Pretty sure after last negotiation Driscoll indicated the cupboard is bare for a raise; maybe that position changes when pressed with the new AD. They still would have to justify paying him a Top 5 salary for a coach with very modest success in March. And I do think there is some potential blowback from that for him especially if they go 1 and done. Don't underestimate the impact of the games this week. Either a 1 and done or a run to another Sweet 16 could wildly effect the situation.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m guessing he’ll stay. I don’t think Gtown can reclaim the John Thompson years. CBB is so much different now.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Cooley doesn't strike me as a guy that cares what anyone thinks (case in point him ducking out of the URI game a couple of years ago). Cooley's going to either stay or go based on what he thinks is best for him and his family and if he can get a few extra dollars to stay he will.
If he doesn't care what anyone thinks then he's gone. But I don't think that's the case. Blowing off the URI game didn't piss off his fanbase if anything it invigorated them ("yeah screw them we don't need to play the lowly Rams"). This would have a much different effect. They would be the most scorned lovers in history. And they wouldn't hide it. I do think his legacy in his hometown matters to him to a degree and it would be a very bold move to leave.

On the flip side- he could be saying I have 1 more big pay day in this profession and I want to be out in 5-6 years and go on TV. Where can he secure the biggest bag of money, increase his popularity/notoriety and grow his national profile? Easy answer.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Cooley doesn't strike me as a guy that cares what anyone thinks (case in point him ducking out of the URI game a couple of years ago). Cooley's going to either stay or go based on what he thinks is best for him and his family and if he can get a few extra dollars to stay he will.
If he doesn't care what anyone thinks then he's gone. But I don't think that's the case. Blowing off the URI game didn't piss off his fanbase if anything it invigorated them ("yeah screw them we don't need to play the lowly Rams"). This would have a much different effect. They would be the most scorned lovers in history. And they wouldn't hide it. I do think his legacy in his hometown matters to him to a degree and it would be a very bold move to leave.

On the flip side- he could be saying I have 1 more big pay day in this profession and I want to be out in 5-6 years and go on TV. Where can he secure the biggest bag of money, increase his popularity/notoriety and grow his national profile? Easy answer.
Bar,
Not holding you to it, but what do you think the odds are Cooley opts for Georgetown. And, of course, zero chance is an option. Understanding it could change based on Tournament results for PC, Penn State and others.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Bar,
Not holding you to it, but what do you think the odds are Cooley opts for Georgetown. And, of course, zero chance is an option. Understanding it could change based on Tournament results for PC, Penn State and others.
It's impossible to say but I know definitively it's not zero. If pressed I'd say somewhere 20-30% that he leaves.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Rumor Anthony Grant may retire.
Well we know who will be brought up to replace him, regardless if it's legitimate or not...

Would not be the first of that family to return to a previous college head coaching job.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Most estimates have him at 3.8-3.9, and Goodman said on his pod last night that he was north of 4. Georgetown is coming in at 5-5.5. There is no doubt that Ed is listening, but the feeling is still that he will not leave at this time. If he does leave, you are correct that it is not about the money. There are other things at work here.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If Cooley’s looking at a Perennial Sweet 16 type program, I don’t think Georgetown would be it.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Do Nap and Cooley get along ?

I have no idea but I am curious to know.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Do Nap and Cooley get along ?

I have no idea but I am curious to know.
That's the million dollar question.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

This all brings back memories of the DH to UConn talk before it happened, well except for all the anxiety, because I couldn't care less if Cooley stays or goes, because it doesn't effect me.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago

Most estimates have him at 3.8-3.9, and Goodman said on his pod last night that he was north of 4. Georgetown is coming in at 5-5.5. There is no doubt that Ed is listening, but the feeling is still that he will not leave at this time. If he does leave, you are correct that it is not about the money. There are other things at work here.
Cooley's contract was $3.5 a couple years ago and was renegotiated.
Talk at the time was to at least $4
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Bar,
It's impossible to say but I know definitively it's not zero. If pressed I'd say somewhere 20-30% that he leaves.
Sounds about right to me. I'd probably be in the 50% range now. 5 in 10 chance he goes for it. I think biggest possibility to move since Cooley took the reins at PC.

Reasons to stay:
1. Comfort zone, already well paid, very low risk
2. Loves his job at PC and loves the school
3. Likes Providence. Went to Central HS.
4. Friends and family here. Saw Cooley at the Murray Center for the National Prep Tourney last month. Walks in like the Mayor of Providence but not in a cocky way but more an idolized manner. Everyone wants to shake his hand. He is a Providence Hero and Legend.

Reasons to go to Georgetown:
1. Challenge. Opportunity to resurrect a dormant, potential behemoth program. Similar to Hurley going to UCONN to bring that program back from the depths but an even bigger challenge and reward.
2. Cooley Loved and idolized John Thompson. Cooley had a strong relationship with John Thompson and would take great pride in bringing respect back to Georgetown in his honor
3. His daughter graduates from Georgetown this May. Strong connection to Georgetown with his daughter picking Georgetown 4 years ago. Imagine being HC there when she receives her Diploma?
4. Take a risk. Why not? An opportunity like Georgetown does not come along very often. Grab it now or never.
5. Can keep the RI home and stature. Have a home in both places.
6. His family is grown up now.
7. Puts him more solidly in the National Spotlight with this move. Shows an ability and desire to take a risk, out of the box.
8. Can rebuild a program like Georgetown much faster now with Grad Transfers and Undergrad Transfers with immediate eligibility. Large market of high quality HS players.
9. Position better to be a National Analyst both while he is at Georgetown but in retirement too. Cooley loves to talk, tell jokes, mix it up in discussions. He could be a prominent National broadcasting person
10. Long term AD Bob Driscoll retired from PC.

I didn't mention money because I don't think this is so much about money as it is trying something new, taking on a significant challenge and building his resume. He will get more money but the fame that could come from being a National Analyst down the road
could be a big plus and decision driver.

If I were Cooley, I would take the opportunity. Keep my RI home. Commute back and forth to my hearts content. Go for it.

Whereas Hurley said UCONN was his dream job and maybe the only job he would leave URI for, I can see Cooley saying similar things about Georgetown. Imagine how he could recruit quickly at Georgetown? Have them top of Big East quickly and then playing top teams in OOC play? He would love it. Georgetown is a highly respected institution of higher learning.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC Board up to 29 pages on Cooley now
Certainly brings more interest to the PC vs Kentucky upcoming NCAA game.

https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 5/?page=29
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Excellent decision tree, Ramster. Good insight.

You may want to email it to Big Ed and save him hours, days of angst. :D
0 x