The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by SGreenwell »

We have so many holes on the roster that we basically need anyone with a pulse than can play. Like right now, we have one player (Ish) that is a clear starter for 2023-24, assured of playing 30+ MPG. Everyone else is a question mark for one reason or another. Yeah, we need guys with all-A10 potential, but you can't assume you're going to recruit 4 of them in one off-season. Having some decent players, even if they're only going to be here for a year and provide average production, is probably needed at this point just from a program stability standpoint. Much like Hurley's first year, I think Miller's first year featured a lot of guys getting a ton of minutes because of a lack of any alternative options on the roster.
6 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago We have so many holes on the roster that we basically need anyone with a pulse than can play. Like right now, we have one player (Ish) that is a clear starter for 2023-24, assured of playing 30+ MPG. Everyone else is a question mark for one reason or another. Yeah, we need guys with all-A10 potential, but you can't assume you're going to recruit 4 of them in one off-season. Having some decent players, even if they're only going to be here for a year and provide average production, is probably needed at this point just from a program stability standpoint. Much like Hurley's first year, I think Miller's first year featured a lot of guys getting a ton of minutes because of a lack of any alternative options on the roster.
I don't know SG, I am expecting players with more than just a pulse and average or so-so production.
Archie needs to put his stamp on this program and up our game.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago We have so many holes on the roster that we basically need anyone with a pulse than can play. Like right now, we have one player (Ish) that is a clear starter for 2023-24, assured of playing 30+ MPG. Everyone else is a question mark for one reason or another. Yeah, we need guys with all-A10 potential, but you can't assume you're going to recruit 4 of them in one off-season. Having some decent players, even if they're only going to be here for a year and provide average production, is probably needed at this point just from a program stability standpoint. Much like Hurley's first year, I think Miller's first year featured a lot of guys getting a ton of minutes because of a lack of any alternative options on the roster.
I don't know SG, I am expecting players with more than just a pulse and average or so-so production.
Archie needs to put his stamp on this program and up our game.
I am fine with more lower ceiling, higher floor recruits this year. It would be best if those guys had a few years left of eligibility so we can surround them the year after with the super high ceiling guys.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

With the misses with Freeman and Harris this year not being 3 year type contributors, next year is another potentially year zero of a rebuild. I do hope Ish stays and I'd be happy if Carey opted for a fifth year to help bridge the gap. I really don't want anyone to transfer, though there are a couple of players that probably could be replaced by a better athlete.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago With the misses with Freeman and Harris this year not being 3 year type contributors, next year is another potentially year zero of a rebuild. I do hope Ish stays and I'd be happy if Carey opted for a fifth year to help bridge the gap. I really don't want anyone to transfer, though there are a couple of players that probably could be replaced by a better athlete.
No chance.

Cannot give Archie another pass next season. It’ll be year 2.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago With the misses with Freeman and Harris this year not being 3 year type contributors, next year is another potentially year zero of a rebuild. I do hope Ish stays and I'd be happy if Carey opted for a fifth year to help bridge the gap. I really don't want anyone to transfer, though there are a couple of players that probably could be replaced by a better athlete.
No chance.

I am a big Archie guy, but I agree no passes for next season.
We must see much improvement and feel optimistic about the program going forward.

The difficult thing about finding major impact grad-transfers is that they want to go to a program where they can immediately compete for conference championships and post-season play.
I don't see that happening for us next season.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't give Archie a pass for Freeman and Harris. He brought in those players, along with their issues
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He took a chance, odds ended up against him, but we would be having a very different conversation if Harris/Freeman/Bilau all played out how it could have. I give Archie a small pass.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago He took a chance, odds ended up against him, but we would be having a very different conversation if Harris/Freeman/Bilau all played out how it could have. I give Archie a small pass.
This year sure, I’ll give him a very very small pass. He still brought in those players.

No pass next year.
3 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

To those quoting me - please reread my post:

"With the misses with Freeman and Harris this year not being 3 year type contributors, next year is another potentially year zero of a rebuild. I do hope Ish stays and I'd be happy if Carey opted for a fifth year to help bridge the gap. I really don't want anyone to transfer, though there are a couple of players that probably could be replaced by a better athlete."

At no point did I ever write giving Miller a pass. You are inferring something I did not imply.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago He took a chance, odds ended up against him, but we would be having a very different conversation if Harris/Freeman/Bilau all played out how it could have. I give Archie a small pass.
Harris had some red flags, but Archie felt he was worth the risk, don't really blame him for taking the chance.

At the time no real issues with Bray and everyone felt he was a steal, shit happens.

Also, injuries happen, just unfortunate with Bilau.

But now we have 23-24 to be concerned with and we need to expect much more from this staff and our team.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

"next year is another potentially year zero of a rebuild," makes it sound like you're giving him a pass for this year. That's how I felt reading it anyway, almost like this year didn't count
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

No chance.

So what does that mean? Are you advocating for him to be fired if we struggle to win 10 games next year? Because that wont be happening short of a scandal or something completely out of left field.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago "next year is another potentially year zero of a rebuild," makes it sound like you're giving him a pass for this year. That's how I felt reading it anyway, almost like this year didn't count
Nope - what I meant was that due to these two misses, it's like we are starting over again.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

There are certainly a lot of question marks on this team for next season , but there are a few guys who could be answers that are on the roster now .
First of all , Foumena could be a major contributor next season if fully healthy and combined with a healthy Bilau . Weston was beginning to show promise . Stewart was also showing some promise . If this group of returning players are able to improve significantly which wouldn't be unheard of
then with the additions of Dubsky , Estevez and a third high level recruit , this team could be night and day better than this year's team . We will have
to see how it all plays out , but there may be light at the end of the tunnel sooner than we think .
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

No chance.

We must see much improvement and feel optimistic about the program going forward.

The difficult thing about finding major impact grad-transfers is that they want to go to a program where they can immediately compete for conference championships and post-season play.
This is what I don’t think people understand. It takes two to tango.

You want Archie to sell these impact transfers on coming to URI? For what? We certainly aren’t giving them NIL money. We aren’t exactly close to winning the A10. There’s limited selling points folks, wake up to reality.

Your best bet is getting solid players, putting together a respectable season next year, and using that as a recruiting carrot to dangle for 2024-2025
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago
No chance.

So what does that mean? Are you advocating for him to be fired if we struggle to win 10 games next year? Because that wont be happening short of a scandal or something completely out of left field.
Yea man, totally want him to get fired after 2 years. You got it.

Barring multiple early season ending injuries, no way should this team struggle to win 10 games. A .500 record should be the goal.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

No chance.

You want Archie to sell these impact transfers on coming to URI? For what? We certainly aren’t giving them NIL money. We aren’t exactly close to winning the A10. There’s limited selling points folks, wake up to reality.

Your best bet is getting solid players, putting together a respectable season next year, and using that as a recruiting carrot to dangle for 2024-2025
Dambrot was able to attract transfers to Duquesne a season after they won 1 game. Neptune/Urgo were able to get Quisenberry and then Khalid Moore, both impact transfers, to Fordham of all places. It happens everywhere. Coaches have relationships and great coaches are salesmen that can convince a kid they can help them achieve their goals. I have to imagine Archie is trying to package some kids together and make it easier to see the potential improvement if they commit. For Archie, Kenny, Duane and Austin this is go time.
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

No chance.

Well, hopefully players want to come here to play for Archie. I mean, isn't that why we hired him in the first place?
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

We don’t need this kid and Rory. But I think this kid is better.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Well, hopefully players want to come here to play for Archie. I mean, isn't that why we hired him in the first place?
He needs to land at least one cornerstone EC Matthews type get this season. At least… Which means he has to beat out the big boys. Someone like Timberlake
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Dambrot was able to attract transfers to Duquesne a season after they won 1 game. Neptune/Urgo were able to get Quisenberry and then Khalid Moore, both impact transfers, to Fordham of all places. It happens everywhere. Coaches have relationships and great coaches are salesmen that can convince a kid they can help them achieve their goals. I have to imagine Archie is trying to package some kids together and make it easier to see the potential improvement if they commit. For Archie, Kenny, Duane and Austin this is go time.
It sure feels unlikely that they won't be able to pull some damn talent here. Archie, Kenny and Duane have done nothing but coach countless players better than anyone on our current roster. It's bound to happen.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Moore was a senior averaging 5ppg at Georgia Tech. Quisenberry scoring 14ppg in a low major conference.

These are types guys we are absolutely after and guys we can definitely land. But if you scroll up in this thread apparently we’re too good for these guys?

I’m more talking to the people here who seem to think we deserve to land top 10 transfers or bust
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Moore was a senior averaging 5ppg at Georgia Tech. Quisenberry scoring 14ppg in a low major conference.

These are types guys we are absolutely after and guys we can definitely land. But if you scroll up in this thread apparently we’re too good for these guys?

I’m more talking to the people here who seem to think we deserve to land top 10 transfers or bust
Oh I'm with you there. We need to stack scoring- any position - prioritizing shooters. Not surprisingly that seems to be the profile of players we have been connected to.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He participated in senior night, so I guess it’s not a surprise.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ace wrote: 1 year ago

He participated in senior night, so I guess it’s not a surprise.
He's been a really efficient player for them, but unfortunately, he hasn't really been fully healthy for any of his years at UMass.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I just came to post about Fernandez, so I'll add another tweet regarding him:

1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah UMass fell off a cliff without Noah

He will go to some P5 and start.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Yeah UMass fell off a cliff without Noah

He will go to some P5 and start.
NM
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

No chance.

Barring multiple early season ending injuries, no way should this team struggle to win 10 games. A .500 record should be the goal.
So then again, I ask... what is the significance of you saying you wont give him a pass? What does that even mean?
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Kid barely did jack shit at Butler but don’t be surprised if we see our name involved with him, went to prep school in RI

0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

This is the type of transfer I would love to get

5 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

People keep pointing to Foumena as a possible impact player next season, and yea anything is possible, but I suspect these same people will defend him if he is underwhelming with he sat out a year and bigs take time to develop…so which is it? He’s going to be a significant contributor or are we going to hear basically the same excuse(s) we had for half our team playing poorly this year? Unless Archie brings in some day 1 ready bigs, a lot is riding on him at least being decent right out the gate.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

So then again, I ask... what is the significance of you saying you wont give him a pass? What does that even mean?
There shouldn’t be any excuses if we struggle big time again like this season. It would all be on the coaching staff.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I would take Justin Wright, also NCCU did pretty good in the MEAC.

"NC Central G Justin Wright has entered the transfer portal. 16.1 PPG/5.1 RPG/41% 3pt. Two years eligibility."

0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

There shouldn’t be any excuses if we struggle big time again like this season. It would all be on the coaching staff.
I think I have to agree with 15 here, and that hardly ever happens. Arch has a pass this year based on what he had to work with and player injuries. However, after having a year to make assessments of the players and ability to recruit new players, I would not give e him a pass for next season either.

I have heard from players family members that they may not have been impressed with his in game coaching, that he only scolded but did not coach the players up. I cannot confirm that with my own eyes/ears, but 2 different family members relayed similar concern.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I would take Justin Wright, also NCCU did pretty good in the MEAC.

"NC Central G Justin Wright has entered the transfer portal. 16.1 PPG/5.1 RPG/41% 3pt. Two years eligibility."

Key stat

41% from three
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

No chance.

It's a good question..."Cannot give Archie another pass next season. It’ll be year 2." What does that mean? And if URI is 13-17 next year, then what? What's your reaction? Something should be done about Archie?

I realize everyone wants to wave the "Magic Portal and Impact Freshman Wand" around the program so URI can instantly be an upper tier program. But please, just give the guy 4 years and then pass judgement. Let the man do his work.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

No pass from me. Freeman was not a good year 1 choice. Needed to set a foundational tone for the program before bringing in a wildcard.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago

It's a good question..."Cannot give Archie another pass next season. It’ll be year 2." What does that mean? And if URI is 13-17 next year, then what? What's your reaction? Something should be done about Archie?

I realize everyone wants to wave the "Magic Portal and Impact Freshman Wand" around the program so URI can instantly be an upper tier program. But please, just give the guy 4 years and then pass judgement. Let the man do his work.
If we’re 13-17 or something like that I’d assume we’ve gotten better players, our current players have developed, and on an upward trajectory.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I think he just means that he would probably receive some criticism if it is another terrible season like this one with no growth. Archie didn’t receive any criticism and he got one of those what could you do it wasn’t his fault with he walked into. I think the portal and whoever he brings in is the key. Archie will be here at least 4 years no later happens next season.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What happened to all the players who entered the portal last season and didn’t find a new home? Did most go back to the original school? I’m hoping that this will die down some if only about 50% of the players actually find new home’s consistently for a few years and enough have a negative outcome.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ant Harris was a massive fail. Any other opinion is absurd. It’s a generational fail in URI hoops history IMHO.

I’m sure Miller is aware and is working hard on the trail to erase the debacle that was 22/23.

Next season I’m expecting a 180 turnaround. A10 is cupcake city at the moment.

Go Rhody
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Without players transferring than you are fine with status quo or maybe 12 to 13 wins. There is not good young talent on this roster. They won’t be able to shoot again next year. Anyone really want Samb back?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago First head scratcher of Portal season. Played 31 mins against us and killed us with 15 points. Playing for a helluva coach.
or, maybe helluva coach thinks he can get a better player?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
Without players transferring than you are fine with status quo or maybe 12 to 13 wins. There is not good young talent on this roster. They won’t be able to shoot again next year. Anyone really want Samb back?
double digit transactions needed
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Well that’s not gonna happen….. but over/under is set at 4.5 new faces
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

We currently have space for 1 additional player if everyone returns.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Well that’s not gonna happen….. but over/under is set at 4.5 new faces
Are you counting the 2 incoming frosh?
0 x