What I learned tonight……..

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodysk
ARD

What I learned tonight……..

Unread post by Rhodysk »

After watching the Men’s and now the women’s selections shows, the A10 has ALOT of work to do.
2 total teams in both NCAA tournaments. Those teams are the A10 champs ( vcu and St. Louis )
The league has to get there teams to play other conferences. If the p5 schools are not gonna play A10 schools then they have to look at early season made for TV matchups with mountain west, American,etc.
The NCAA is big money for conferences and teams and the A10 is losing it bad.
If this continues look for more conference realignment happening. We know Umass would leave in a heart beat if someone will take their football team.
Could VCU, St Louis, or even Dayton take off to big east or MVC or etc?
Something needs to be done.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: What I learned tonight……..

Unread post by reef »

Yeah definitely a sad state of affairs right now , 1 bid league is just not acceptable for the a10 needs to change quickly
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

What needs to happen is

VCU
Dayton
Saint Louis
Rhody
And UMass need to start living up to their potential.
6 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago What needs to happen is

VCU
Dayton
Saint Louis
Rhody
Ding ding ding…top of the conference has sucked, middle of the conference has sucked, basically everyone has sucked in non-conference games for several years. It’s a 1 bid league because the top didn’t their job in non-conference games and the top this year was very thin to begin with.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

VCU
Dayton
Saint Louis
Rhody
Agreed, PRT.

And add to your list, Fordham (NY market and talent base) - which is capable of more than what they’ve produced since joining the conference - and Loyola (even though new to the conference but a good program in another talent rich area).

Having close to half the conference setting the pace for the other eight A10 programs would be beneficial. Not easy possible, but it takes will, commitment, organization.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

VCU
Dayton
Saint Louis
Rhody
Agreed, PRT.

And add to your list, Fordham (NY market and talent base) - which is capable of more than what they’ve produced since joining the conference - and Loyola (even though new to the conference but a good program in another talent rich area).

Having close to half the conference setting the pace for the other eight A10 programs would be beneficial. Not easy possible, but it takes will, commitment, organization.
Lol we certainly can't depend on Fordham...if they can keep their NET in the 100's annually then that's a win.

If Loyola gets back their swagger then that would be great.

We know Mark Schmidt will field some good St Bonaventure teams along the way. Same with Richmond. St Joe's being respectable would be nice too.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NIT field is out. No A-10 members. Dayton likely would have made it had they not declined.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago NIT field is out. No A-10 members. Dayton likely would have made it had they not declined.
It's definitely been a long time since thats happened. No A-10 teams in the NIT.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago NIT field is out. No A-10 members. Dayton likely would have made it had they not declined.
It's definitely been a long time since thats happened. No A-10 teams in the NIT.
Last year we had 2 teams in the NCAA and 4 teams in the NIT

We dropped from 6 teams to 1 in post season play
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

VCU
Dayton
Saint Louis
Rhody
Agreed, PRT.

Lol we certainly can't depend on Fordham...if they can keep their NET in the 100's annually then that's a win.

If Loyola gets back their swagger then that would be great.

We know Mark Schmidt will field some good St Bonaventure teams along the way. Same with Richmond. St Joe's being respectable would be nice too.
Of course no one would rely on them based on their track record.

I was talking about Fordhams potential. FU is CAPABLE of much more based on the talent rich region it is located in and its financial position but - for whatever reason - it lacks the will and commitment to do it. FU needs to get its shit together.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Rhodysk wrote: 1 year ago After watching the Men’s and now the women’s selections shows, the A10 has ALOT of work to do.
2 total teams in both NCAA tournaments. Those teams are the A10 champs ( vcu and St. Louis )
The league has to get there teams to play other conferences. If the p5 schools are not gonna play A10 schools then they have to look at early season made for TV matchups with mountain west, American,etc.
If this continues look for more conference realignment happening. We know Umass would leave in a heart beat if someone will take their football team.
I hear ya, Rhodysk.

With everything that is going on in college basketball currently - realignment, NIL, portalpalooza, etc - this is the worst time for the A10 to have a downturn to this extent. Hopefully, the downturn is only temporary because, imho, the next 3-5 years are crucial for the conference as the national landscape of college basketball is changing. If the A10 doesn’t bounce back in that 3-5 year window then I think you will see the better programs looking to jump ship.

In the Juan Bid thread last week I posted a story by HeartlandCollegeSports.com about the Big 12 looking to expand in basketball (as early as 24-25). If the Big 12 follows through, there will be ramifications downstream to the A10, I believe. The story is very interesting and I recommend reading it when you have ten minutes to spare.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI is part of the problem. The Athletic Administration should be prepared to act quickly and decisively to prevent MBB for ever falling to present depths again. This will require continuous attention and involvement in our marquis program.

If we are not one of the teams with the record to show that we are capable of moving up to a better conference, then we are falling behind. We can't be an A10 lifer.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Somehow we need to start getting close to what the Mountsin West has , 11 conference teams 4 NCAA bids 7 of the 11 top 100 NET and worst team still NET 172 , it’s night and day right now
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

won't happen, because the Atlantic 10 pretty much does whatever it wants, and it's not interested in making itself better in that way.

If URI was ever an influential member of the A10, those days are long gone.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Reef, if I was appointed A10 dictator for a day ( :twisted: ) I would reconstruct a smaller conference of 11 committed basketball programs with a twenty game home and home schedule.

Here’s who would make my first cut:
Rhody
VCU
Dayton
SLU
GW
Joe’s
Loyola
Fordham
Bona
UMass
GM
Davidson
Richmond

To get down to 11 from the 13 above, my next cuts would POTENTIALLY be UMass (regrettably and only if they are absolutely committed to playing FBS football) or, one of the NY teams (Bona or Fordham) and one of the southern teams (Davidson, GMU or Richmond).

I’d keep FU if, and only if they signed a super duper ironclad agreement to commit to basketball to the commitment level required to remain in the conference. :D

So preferably, my new reconstructed A10 would be - Rhody, Dayton, VCU, SLU, UMass, Fordham, Joe’s, Loyola, GW, GMU, Davidson.

I humbly pass my dictator staff to you. Take a crack at a new A10 before portalpalooza ramps up and things get crazy here.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

the A10 is just another league. MAAC, NEC, Patriot League, Colonial, AE. the A10 is right in there.
3 x
:lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago the A10 is just another league. MAAC, NEC, Patriot League, Colonial, AE. the A10 is right in there.
Yes. I think we(A-10/URI)are closer to those conferences than at any previous time. Hard to swallow but here we are. Maybe this impacts our scheduling?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The introduction of the secret formula NET with its quads and the increased power conference schedules and inter league challenges reducing OOC games had already very much hurt the A-10. The NIL and transfer portal changes might have been the final straws.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The introduction of the secret forumal NET with its quads and the increased power conference schedules and inter league challenges reducing OOC games had already very much hurt the A-10. The NIL and transfer portal changes might have been the final straws.
Tell that to the Mountain West.

4 teams in, including one that lost their last 3 games of the season.
2 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Seriously, the sky is falling folks are getting nauseating. MWC put 4 teams in. Some saying it’s minimize Q1 and Q4 and destroy the middle. Who knows but can we at least wait until we win 22-23 games and don’t get invited before we bitch that the system is rigged.
6 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The problem with the Atlantic 10 is they've expanded by adding TV markets and coaches, but not PROGRAMS. Coaches are transient and TV markets mean little without a dominant team but programs are permanent. VCU is a program. Dayton is a program. George Mason was a coach (the former mental patient Jimmy Larranaga). Was Davidson a program or a coach? We'll see. I suspect it was the latter more than the former.
6 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Agreed - the A10 was a consistent 3 or more bid league most seasons from the mid to late 90s until the last few years. Even the first few years after the most recent raid of the conference from the Big East (2013) had as many as 6 bids.

2023: 1 bid ***
2022: 2 bids (Dayton first four out, but certainly deserved to be in over a couple of others - Indiana and Rutgers)
2021: 2 bids
2020: no tourney (would have been at least 2 - Dayton a 1 seed, Richmond in, URI was faltering and probably on the wrong side of the bubble unless they made the finals - I don't recall if SLU had a shot, but likely somewhere in the conversation)
2019: 2 bids
2018: 3 bids (likely 2 if Davidson doesn't upset URI in the A10 finals)
2017: 3 bids
2016: 3 bids
2015: 3 bids
2014: 6 bids - best season with all 6 winning their first round game, 2 wins in the round of 32 and Dayton going to the Elite 8
2013: 5 bids
2012: 4 bids
2011: 3 bids
2010: 3 bids
2009: 3 bids
2008: 3 bids
2007: 2 bids
2006: 2 bids
2005: 1 bid ***
2004: 4 bids
2003: 3 bids
2002: 1 bid ***
2001: 3 bids
2000: 3 bids
1999: 3 bids (Rhody was a bid stealer that year - though they might have knocked out Xavier so could have been 3 either way).
1998: 5 bids (with Rhody making the Final Four - oh that's right, the refs took care of that one for us).
1997: 5 bids
1996: 4 bids
1995: 2 bids
1994: 3 bids
1993: 4 bids
1992: 3 bids
1991: 3 bids
1990: 1 bid ***
1989: 2 bids
1988: 2 bids
1987: 2 bids
1986: 3 bids
1985: 1 (first year as 64 teams) ***
1984: 2
1983: 2

Stopping at 1983 as 82/83 was the first year the Eastern 8 became the A10

If I'm doing my math correct, that's 40 seasons total (of course skipping the 2020 covid year), that's 110 total bids over 40 seasons or 2.75 bids on average

5 seasons of 1 bid
11 seasons of 2 bids
16 seasons of 3 bids
4 seasons of 4 bids
3 seasons of 5 bids
1 season of 6 bids

I have to hope that the last 3 or 4 years are not the canary in the coal mine and is rather a blip if we as a conference can get our act together. We need to get back to at least a consistent 3 to 4 bid league again or more - the 2012-14 seasons were a good string along with 96-98. Need more of that and less of what's happening now.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Everything Red just said.

A-10 is very comfortable making chump change. They have no ambition to move up. They are all about maintaining the status quo.

Juan Bid League is the new reality. Wasn't too long ago the A-10 was considered an "upper" mid major, on the strength of 3 or 4 teams getting into the dance.

Now? Only the tourney champ goes, just like every other mid major out there. Might was well be Vermont, and dominate your conference every year and take the autobid and the guaranteed cash.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago The problem with the Atlantic 10 is they've expanded by adding TV markets and coaches, but not PROGRAMS. Coaches are transient and TV markets mean little without a dominant team but programs are permanent. VCU is a program. Dayton is a program. George Mason was a coach (the former mental patient Jimmy Larranaga). Was Davidson a program or a coach? We'll see. I suspect it was the latter more than the former.
100% agreed with this. Going back to the 1995 additions - Xavier, Dayton were programs, Fordham and LaSalle not (and why another Philly team?). If Fordham is finally turning a corner (one year doesn't do it) and is really building a program, then sure. Latter additions: Richmond, SLU, VCU, Loyola, GMU, Davidson, VCU is for sure a program. Richmond has been pretty good and relatively consistent, though not necessarily a program. SLU has been as close to a program without being one as anyone. GMU other than when Larranaga was coach, haven't done squat. Davidson and Loyola the jury is still out and remain to be seen.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

An interesting thing happened since Covid hit. Covid being like a 9/11 type event, that you can use to mark time.

Not only did the NCAA introduce a number of new policies, but URI Football and URI Women's Basketball went on the upswing and became strong contenders for their respective conferences, while URI Men's Basketball has struggled.

So, now take Women's BB for instance. You can test a number of theories using Tammi's program while we wait for the Men's side to get up to speed.

A-10 Women's BB is also a Juan Bid League. Even with 4, 5, 6 teams legitimately contending for that one bid. UMass, on the strength of their NET, looked like they might be able to test the at large bid bubble, but they lost two key games at the end, and we never got to see.

So, now Tammi can try to test the waters. She can build a team that is not only contending for the one tourney auto bid, but she can build a schedule that can keep her in the running to test an at large bid based on NET, if they manage to win a similar number of games next year than they did this year.

Then we will see. Is the A-10 destined to be a Juan Bid League from here on in or not? Because frankly, right now, we don't know, on either side men's or women's. And if it is only going to be a Juan Bid League for both, what are the ramifications of that? How long do we stay in that situation?
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I still think it's kind of fluky that we're a one-bid league this year. St. Louis, VCU and Dayton all could have been in the NCAAs, if they didn't crap themselves in the OOC portion of their schedules. Yeah, the margin of error is small because they either didn't schedule well or didn't get the opportunity to schedule well. But they still weren't considered at-large candidates even before the A-10 season began. I think there is an inefficiency in NET, if you're willing to just focus your scheduling efforts on teams likely to be in the Top 200. But like I said in a post last week, Dayton (24), VCU (23) and St. Louis (20) played a shit ton of Q3 + Q4 games. They played almost as many as we did (25), a clearly rebuilding team. When a P6 team doesn't pick up the phone, most of the A-10 seems content to just schedule Hartford or Maine or The Blind and Deaf Sisters of the East for a 350 NET game, instead of trying to get something going with other mid-majors.
8 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I hit the like button for what you wrote. For the most part, I agree with it. But as for the the "fluke" part, Elmo's not sure.

In some ways, this feels like a plan reaching fruition. Why was the NET calc necessary?

I again point to the women's bracket. You have every single mid major with 1 bid, including the A-10 AND the West Coast mid majors. Every mid major got one bid, to my knowledge. The SEC was projected to have 8 teams at one point. And two of the others 7 apiece. At what point are those Conferences well represented? And they stone wall teams like from the A-10 and the western A-10 equivalents whenever they can.

I mean, you can make a math formula to do anything, if you want. What's the purpose of this one?

I think there are only two selfish solutions, if you are a mid major. Mid major conference re-alignment, or stay put and try the tedious process of trying to make sure your schedule is absolutely 100% cupcake free, and see if that actually works, towards helping a Conference like the A-10 actually get two bids. Not 3 or 4 anymore, just hopefully 2.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Coaching stability will help.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

VCU was pretty close to making it as an at large all things considered, they legit had to win like 2 game against cupcakes and like one mmore q1 game. SLU had to not lose to a bunch of crap teams. Dayton had to win like 2 of the OOC games it lost and it won none. Win in the OOC and the A10 supports multiple bids.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago The problem with the Atlantic 10 is they've expanded by adding TV markets and coaches, but not PROGRAMS. Coaches are transient and TV markets mean little without a dominant team but programs are permanent. VCU is a program. Dayton is a program. George Mason was a coach (the former mental patient Jimmy Larranaga). Was Davidson a program or a coach? We'll see. I suspect it was the latter more than the former.
Loyola Chicago was almost definitely a coach and not a program.

A pie that's getting smaller combined with more mouths to feed is a terrible recipe. And we're stuck in the old thinking of adding when the Big East has shown you that a smaller league with committed programs is the way to go
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago An interesting thing happened since Covid hit. Covid being like a 9/11 type event, that you can use to mark time.

Not only did the NCAA introduce a number of new policies, but URI Football and URI Women's Basketball went on the upswing and became strong contenders for their respective conferences, while URI Men's Basketball has struggled.

So, now take Women's BB for instance. You can test a number of theories using Tammi's program while we wait for the Men's side to get up to speed.

A-10 Women's BB is also a Juan Bid League. Even with 4, 5, 6 teams legitimately contending for that one bid. UMass, on the strength of their NET, looked like they might be able to test the at large bid bubble, but they lost two key games at the end, and we never got to see.

So, now Tammi can try to test the waters. She can build a team that is not only contending for the one tourney auto bid, but she can build a schedule that can keep her in the running to test an at large bid based on NET, if they manage to win a similar number of games next year than they did this year.

Then we will see. Is the A-10 destined to be a Juan Bid League from here on in or not? Because frankly, right now, we don't know, on either side men's or women's. And if it is only going to be a Juan Bid League for both, what are the ramifications of that? How long do we stay in that situation?
Well we do know about UMass this year, they were one of the first 4 teams out. I'd say that's testing the at large bubble
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Expect the A 10 to be much stronger next season . Dayton suffered major injuries early in the season that hurt their OOC performance . they were
Missing Malachi Smith , Brea , Elvis and Blakney for most of the OOC games . If Holmes and Camara return they would return everyone . Even if
just Holmes returns they will be a major force . VCU will probably be good . URI could be good and St. Joes could be good. Also Davidson could
be good . ST.Louis loses 7 players and Fordham loses its top players so they may not be as good . GW could get better too.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago URI could be good and St.
Do you really think a team that went 10-21, had a NET rank of #265, and was the 14 seed in a mediocre 15 member league is going to suddenly become good the next season? That would be a very dramatic jump.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago Expect the A 10 to be much stronger next season . Dayton suffered major injuries early in the season that hurt their OOC performance . they were
Missing Malachi Smith , Brea , Elvis and Blakney for most of the OOC games . If Holmes and Camara return they would return everyone . Even if
just Holmes returns they will be a major force . VCU will probably be good . URI could be good and St. Joes could be good. Also Davidson could
be good . ST.Louis loses 7 players and Fordham loses its top players so they may not be as good . GW could get better too.
Lots of "coulds" there.
Let's see what the A10 rosters look like next season before we can really make any predictions.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Actually think opposite...right now the league looks to have even more questions marks next year.
Perennial powers SLU and Dayton could both lose major stars. Camara is gone and I'd be shocked if Holmes comes back. Yuri, Jimmerson, Perkins all gone from SLU. Richmond loses Burton, GMU loses Oduro - right now neither has anything even close to them behind it. Fordham after a great year is going to lose their 2 best players (Quisenberry and Moore). VCU will be the favorite heading into the year but after that it may be a new crop of contenders that are far from sure bets. That is why the ascent back to relevance IMO isn't that steep for us. We need to bring in some talent tho.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
Do you really think a team that went 10-21, had a NET rank of #265, and was the 14 seed in a mediocre 15 member league is going to suddenly become good the next season? That would be a very dramatic jump.
Duquesne was even worse than we were last year and were good this year.

It's very possible. Have you been paying attention to how college sports works since the portal?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It's very possible. Have you been paying attention to how college sports works since the portal?

I will give you that Duquesne improved quite a bit. They however ended up 20-12, a Net rank of #130, and sixth seed in a very down A-10. They were far outside any consideration for either the NCAA or NIT. I therefore don't exactly think they were "good". Respectable seems a more apt description.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I will give you that Duquesne improved quite a bit. They however ended up 20-12, a Net rank of #130, and sixth seed in a very down A-10. They were far outside any consideration for either the NCAA or NIT. I therefore don't exactly think they were "good". Respectable seems a more apt description.
Yeah if we want to be technical about it respectable is fair. Or pretty good. They still beat VCU and Santa Barabra (two NCAA teams) along the way. They certainly padded their win total by beating nine really weak non conference opponents. I kinda like the idea of having an easy schedule next year, but as it stands it's already way tougher than what Duquesne had. PC, Seton Hall, and the two games from the hall of fame tournament.

Still a pretty huge leap from being dreadful. We can shoot for similar improvement and it's possible to be even better.

The caliber of our coaches suggests that we should be be able to land a few impact transfers, build with the guys that stay and be able to do that.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Next year will be year 2. I hope we are close to an NIT team. Another year like this one would be a disaster.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Next year will be year 2. I hope we are close to an NIT team. Another year like this one would be a disaster.
Blueram not sure we will be in the NIT discussion, but at least around .500 and middle of the pack.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Loyola Chicago was almost definitely a coach and not a program.

A pie that's getting smaller combined with more mouths to feed is a terrible recipe. And we're stuck in the old thinking of adding when the Big East has shown you that a smaller league with committed programs is the way to go
I agree, 02. 👍

I like 11 teams like Reef posted last night.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Next year will be year 2. I hope we are close to an NIT team. Another year like this one would be a disaster.
Blueram not sure we will be in the NIT discussion, but at least around .500 and middle of the pack.
Yeah I think that’s reasonable and a big improvement over this season
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I am going to use this years contest predictions I made for overall record and conf record for next years contest - if there is one. It will save me some time, plus I hate to waste what I thought was a good prediction so, I am giving myself a pass for this season. :D
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhodysk wrote: 1 year ago After watching the Men’s and now the women’s selections shows, the A10 has ALOT of work to do.
What I learned is that the A10 had a crappy year...things go in cycles...I wouldn't panic...I don't think somebody is leaving the A10 for the Missouri Valley (a worse league) and URI is not switching conferences because there is no interest in URI from other leagues.

We have had this thread before.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Yeah I think that’s reasonable and a big improvement over this season
I don't think so either, but that is a major concern that we are not. DH had EC and Hass committed for his 2nd year. So far, we got nothing of value. I'm still holding out for the October signings for 24 recruits. That is going to tell me where this thing is going.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Yes RF1 I believe a major turn around can happen I believe if Bilau had not been hurt they could plausibly won an additional 5 games this season and been 14- 17 and with additions could win several more . Are you aware that dispite being without Foumena and Belau they were very competitive in
almost all of their games . They lost 9 games by 5 points or less and one by 9 in ot . They lost only 5 games by 10 or more during the regular season .
They beat Dayton and lost to VCU on a buzzer beater . They pushed St. Louis in the game at St. Louis . It won't take that much improvement to add
10- 12 wins . It would be possible if Fumena , Bilau , Estevez , Dubsky and a successful new recruit bring a higher level of talent to the point that they challenge for the league title . Will it all happen ? I don't know , but look at what Fordham managed in one season . And BTW URI beat them as well.
I look forward to seeing what the new players can do , along with the growth of the returning players . A quick turn around is distinctly possible.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Without knowing why, I would say you shouldn't be allowed to decline the NIT. Play, or forfeit.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Repeat after me

I will not rely on FR to be impact players in my outlook for next season

5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Repeat after me

even crazier that, in the "Day of he 'palooza" that this needs to be said
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago Yes RF1 I believe a major turn around can happen I believe if Bilau had not been hurt they could plausibly won an additional 5 games this season and been 14- 17 and with additions could win several more . Are you aware that dispite being without Foumena and Belau they were very competitive in
almost all of their games . They lost 9 games by 5 points or less and one by 9 in ot . They lost only 5 games by 10 or more during the regular season .
They beat Dayton and lost to VCU on a buzzer beater . They pushed St. Louis in the game at St. Louis . It won't take that much improvement to add
10- 12 wins . It would be possible if Fumena , Bilau , Estevez , Dubsky and a successful new recruit bring a higher level of talent to the point that they challenge for the league title . Will it all happen ? I don't know , but look at what Fordham managed in one season . And BTW URI beat them as well.
I look forward to seeing what the new players can do , along with the growth of the returning players . A quick turn around is distinctly possible.
Not only possible but mandatory if URI is getting return on investment. Like I said in the transfer thread A10 is cupcake city.

Do we think Miller isn’t expecting a 180 degree turnaround? He’s a confident guy right?

Good post Luke and spot on!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!