2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 CBB Post Season All Things NCAA/NIT

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Cannot believe PC gets in. I owe Rhody15 a six pack.
I wish I had lost this bet!

I’m still waiting on my season tickets from someone who bet me Jermaine Harris would average 10 and 5 along with a 4 pack of Shaidzon from someone who said we’d be in masks the next three years.
Trinity Rep is requiring masks at performances. DOH!!!! What is the 3 year timeline? when did it start? I'm thinking Giants fan is going to win
Last edited by theblueram 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I don’t agree with WVU getting in. Yes, I understand they have a high Net but if you finish significantly under .500 in your league - even if it is the top rated Net league, you don’t deserve an at-large bid. No how, no way, imho.

If that is going to start happening - after setting this precedent - then expand the play in games and make them earn a round of 64 in a play in.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I don’t agree with WVU getting in. Yes, I understand they have a high Net but if you finish significantly under .500 in your league - even if it is the top rated Net league, you don’t deserve an at-large bid. No how, no way, imho.

If that is going to start happening - after setting this precedent - then expand the play in games and make them earn a round of 64 in a play in.
The A10 better figure out how to deal with the NET, cause I'm not spending $1K on two seats for a one bid league.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The PC-Kentucky match-up could pit two coaches who will not be at their respective schools next season. Might be the last game at that program for whoever loses.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I have said it before it not win or lose its who you play period.
It all about NET
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I hate that they put VCU against Saint Mary's. They played in the first round like 4 or 5 years ago and I swear they like to pit mid majors against each other.

Ace Baldwin vs Mahaney is a good matchup though
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I have said it before it not win or lose its who you play period.
It all about NET
No it’s not, but keep believing that I guess.

If it was all about NET, the committee would just go down the list and select the highest remaining teams in the NET for at large bids.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I don’t agree with WVU getting in. Yes, I understand they have a high Net but if you finish significantly under .500 in your league - even if it is the top rated Net league, you don’t deserve an at-large bid. No how, no way, imho.

Yeah but they still have 6 Q1 wins and 6 Q2 wins with zero bad losses. They flat out deserve to get in easily.
1 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Total garbage.
5 x
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah but they still have 6 Q1 wins and 6 Q2 wins with zero bad losses. They flat out deserve to get in easily.
Hard disagree. If enough teams in your conference start in q1, almost everyone will be by default by the end of league play. The system is broken.
4 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rutgers, Oklahoma State, UNC, Clemson are the first four out.

UNC has declined their NIT invite.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Broken Arrow, I say, Broken Arrow. It's a junk metric. It's ruining CBB.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I thought Rutgers had done enough to get in.
Pleasantly surprised by ASU getting in, but I am more intrigued by what happens when their season ends.
The West region is all together wild!
Hopkins against Kentucky is interesting.
My mid-major fave is FAU.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Cannot believe PC gets in. I owe Rhody15 a six pack.

I’m still waiting on my season tickets from someone who bet me Jermaine Harris would average 10 and 5 along with a 4 pack of Shaidzon from someone who said we’d be in masks the next three years.
I can send you cash or make a donation to KeaneyBlue. Your call.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago I thought Rutgers had done enough to get in.
Pleasantly surprised by ASU getting in, but I am more intrigued by what happens when their season ends.
The West region is all together wild!
Hopkins against Kentucky is interesting.
My mid-major fave is FAU.
FAU has been a fun team all year. My fave has to be Oral Roberts though, Max Abmas still dominating and then they got 7-5 Connor Vanover. Would loooooove to see them knock out Duke
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I thought the committee finally got it right , I thought the final spot would be between ASU and Nevada but both got in , Rutgers probably the biggest snub but 19-13 and 10-10 ultimately just fell short
Hats off to the Mountain West 4 teams
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago

I can send you cash or make a donation to KeaneyBlue. Your call.
Donation to the board is more than fair, I don’t need the six pack.
2 x
Go Rhody
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

The way to game the system is a conference with 8-10 teams and one bottom feeder at most. Things aren’t going to get better unless we change things.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Does Fordham get into NIT. If yes, how about a NY old rivalry and an A10 vs Big East. Vs St. John’s
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I’m pretty sure Dayton is the only A10 team with a chance to get in the NIT.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Does Fordham get into NIT. If yes, how about a NY old rivalry and an A10 vs Big East. Vs St. John’s
No chance. Fordham's NET rank is #134. That is some 40 spots outside the typical NIT at large range. Their OOC schedule was weak and the A-10 conference schedule didn't help out much either.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago Cancel the tournament!

Wow amazing stat !!
When was the last time there was no Rhode Island school in the tourney?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago Cancel the tournament!

Wow amazing stat !!
Two years ago.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Hopefully, no Charles Barkley in the CBS studio shows, maybe Jay Wright will take that seat.
Barkley is the best thing going on basketball coverage, but you’re spot on here.

I understand putting him for ratings and entertainment purposes, but it’s not fair to put non college bb people on tournament coverage.
Barkley is the second best thing going in college hoops...after Bill Walton. But, if we can't get Bill, give us Chuck.
Who is it "not fair" to? The announcers? The fans?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Wow amazing stat !!
Two years ago.
That's pretty recent.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote: 1 year ago I’m pretty sure Dayton is the only A10 team with a chance to get in the NIT.
Last year A10 had 2 teams in the NCAA and 4 teams in the NIT - total of 6

If we only get VCU in the NCAA and only Dayton in the NiT that's only 2 teams. Seems like an overly big drop off.

Seems odd how VCU gets a 12 seed yet I've now seen 4 different pundits (and it's early) saying VCU is their upset bid over St Mary's and VCU is an excellent team that would not surprise getting to the Sweet 16.

A shame VCU gets St Mary's then winner of UCONN / Iona. So the P5's avoid VCU until Sweet 16.

P5 bracket planners avoiding VCU.

It's a shame but imho VCU AND Dayton both belong in the Tournament. Both teams are very good.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago I’m pretty sure Dayton is the only A10 team with a chance to get in the NIT.

If we only get VCU in the NCAA and only Dayton in the NiT that's only 2 teams. Seems like an overly big drop off.

Seems odd how VCU gets a 12 seed yet I've now seen 4 different pundits (and it's early) saying VCU is their upset bid over St Mary's and VCU is an excellent team that would not surprise getting to the Sweet 16.

A shame VCU gets St Mary's then winner of UCONN / Iona. So the P5's avoid VCU until Sweet 16.

It's a shame but imho VCU AND Dayton both belong in the Tournament. Both teams are very good.
Well forget Dayton in the NIT. They just released a statement saying they won't be playing in any post season due to health concerns.
I am guessing both Holmes and Camara said they want to get ready for NBA Draft and didn't want to play in NIT. Still it's an odd move.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Hopefully, no Charles Barkley in the CBS studio shows, maybe Jay Wright will take that seat.
Barkley is the best thing going on basketball coverage, but you’re spot on here.

I understand putting him for ratings and entertainment purposes, but it’s not fair to put non college bb people on tournament coverage.
Barkley is the second best thing going in college hoops...after Bill Walton. But, if we can't get Bill, give us Chuck.
The people
Who watch.

It gets pretty awkward when he’s talking about teams and players he has no idea about and never watched play.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The people
Who watch.

It gets pretty awkward when he’s talking about teams and players he has no idea about and never watched play.
But it's Chuck. Chuck funny. Wally Szebiak? Knowledgeable? Sure...just not very funny. I like some Clark Kellogg, Ernie Johnson (the play by play guy)...need some entertainmenting to happen...
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Fordham vs St. John’s in NIT. Wouldn’t that be great for NY basketball and A 10 after Fordham beats them! Find out soon
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Well forget Dayton in the NIT. They just released a statement saying they won't be playing in any post season due to health concerns.
I am guessing both Holmes and Camara said they want to get ready for NBA Draft and didn't want to play in NIT. Still it's an odd move.
If they both leave then we might see AG's last season at Dayton next year.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Your refusal to acknowledge and accept P6 is hilarious. The Big East is a power conference whether you like it or not.

You sound dumber and dumber every time you ignore the Big East as one of the best conferences in America.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Your refusal to acknowledge and accept P6 is hilarious. The Big East is a power conference whether you like it or not.

You sound dumber and dumber every time you ignore the Big East as one of the best conferences in America.
It's the P5 calling the shots. P6 exists of course in Basketball only. But not in Football at all - non existent.
Football has the P5 in FBS and the Group of 5 in FBS for 10 Total conferences.

So my point is P5 is working to avoid the Mid major schools.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just stop. Can you post anything ever without being insulting and condescending?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Zero chance. Zero.
4 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Can’t agree with this. Neither team showed in the non conference. Hard to make a case for Dayton when they don’t hit a field goal in the last ten minutes in their biggest game of the season . I believe the announcer stated they missed their last 15 shots. That’s hard to do.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good to know that the CBI does not include Detroit. So Pistol Pete Maravich gets to keep the all time scoring record

Duquesne playing in CBI. 1st game vs Rice

Nice vacation time in Daytona
93BFD74B-FEAB-4216-93E1-C1102354E465.jpeg
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have read that the CBI has an entrance fee of approximately $30k for each of its sixteen teams. It pays out $25,000 to the Champion, $10,000 to the Runner-Up, and $2,500 to each Semifinalist. All its games now take place at one site (Daytona Beach-FL). It is a money losing prospect for every participant, including its champion that gets the biggest payout.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I have read that the CBI has an entrance fee of approximately $30k for each of its sixteen teams. It pays out $25,000 to the Champion, $10,000 to the Runner-Up, and $2,500 to each Semifinalist. All its games now take place at one site (Daytona Beach-FL). It is a money losing prospect for every participant, including its champion that gets the biggest payout.
Still could be the last legitimate basketball games kids ever play.

I'd be all for more games in my career if it was my last season.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Shout out to Delroy James' triple double in the CBI circa 2011 against Miami (OH)!

Only Rhody triple double ever
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Good to know that the CBI does not include Detroit. So Pistol Pete Maravich gets to keep the all time scoring record

Duquesne playing in CBI. 1st game vs Rice

Nice vacation time in Daytona

93BFD74B-FEAB-4216-93E1-C1102354E465.jpeg
Just more meaningless games to bet on I guess
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I have read that the CBI has an entrance fee of approximately $30k for each of its sixteen teams. It pays out $25,000 to the Champion, $10,000 to the Runner-Up, and $2,500 to each Semifinalist. All its games now take place at one site (Daytona Beach-FL). It is a money losing prospect for every participant, including its champion that gets the biggest payout.
Still could be the last legitimate basketball games kids ever play.

I'd be all for more games in my career if it was my last season.
and they were at daytona beach in march
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rutgers lost at home to Hofstra. It has to be tough emotionally to think you’re going to THE tournament and then two days later your season ends in a totally different one.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

That first opening game was fun to watch! Looking forward to 66 more!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pitt and Mississippi State are in a war
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Feels like bizarro world when you look at the NIT and you see Villanova AT Liberty and losing.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Feels like bizarro world when you look at the NIT and you see Villanova AT Liberty and losing.
Cam Whitmore and Justin Moore were out for Villanova with injuries (?). I do believe that they were both banged up, but I wonder if they would have played in a NCAA tournament game. They did travel with the team. Moore had an amazing recovery from an Achilles tear, but I could see him not being 100%. He didn’t have to come back this season at all, so I get his decision. Whitmore is likely headed to the draft.

Trey Patterson is an interesting guy to watch for on their roster, a former 4 star top 50 recruit who hasn’t really done anything yet.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Feels like bizarro world when you look at the NIT and you see Villanova AT Liberty and losing.
Cam Whitmore and Justin Moore were out for Villanova with injuries (?). I do believe that they were both banged up, but I wonder if they would have played in a NCAA tournament game. They did travel with the team. Moore had an amazing recovery from an Achilles tear, but I could see him not being 100%. He didn’t have to come back this season at all, so I get his decision. Whitmore is likely headed to the draft.

Trey Patterson is an interesting guy to watch for on their roster, a former 4 star top 50 recruit who hasn’t really done anything yet.
Ok makes sense a couple guys were out for them
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

231 lead changes has to be a record.
Sorry I missed that game, but the first one was good.
47BE88BB-BDE2-4BC1-919C-1161D0AEEBF2.jpeg
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago 231 lead changes has to be a record.
Sorry I missed that game, but the first one was good.
47BE88BB-BDE2-4BC1-919C-1161D0AEEBF2.jpeg
That's a typo.

21 lead changes.
1 x
Go Rhody