The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by reef »

Would be nice for Rhody to have a Timberlake
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Who starts ahead of either of them lol?
Just players that were on bad teams in very weak conferences don’t see that much improvement over Weston if they come but if it’s between the two of them (Conway & Wilcox) I would want Conway, I hope and pray we’re involved with Timberlake though kids a stud
Conway averaged 16 against three A-10 teams

Weston is not on his level yet or Wilcox. And they're both way better offensive players than Malik was, so an improved Weston plus one of them would be a pretty big upgrade.
Wohoo no offense but that’s only three games and yes he’d be better than Malik offensively but how would he be definsively, the conference he played in is alot different than the A-10, would rather have B West for 3 more years or Timberlake for one year, Malik had to play the 4 90% of the time while this kid would play the 3 and who even knows if he’d start we can do WAAAYYYYY better than this kid no offense
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

One other kid to look out for would be Georgetowns Brandon Murray, Ewing just got fired and we were after him in the portal last year, Kenny most definitely will reach out if he does
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Just players that were on bad teams in very weak conferences don’t see that much improvement over Weston if they come but if it’s between the two of them (Conway & Wilcox) I would want Conway, I hope and pray we’re involved with Timberlake though kids a stud

Weston is not on his level yet or Wilcox. And they're both way better offensive players than Malik was, so an improved Weston plus one of them would be a pretty big upgrade.
Wohoo no offense but that’s only three games and yes he’d be better than Malik offensively but how would he be definsively, the conference he played in is alot different than the A-10, would rather have B West for 3 more years or Timberlake for one year, Malik had to play the 4 90% of the time while this kid would play the 3 and who even knows if he’d start we can do WAAAYYYYY better than this kid no offense
Eh idk did you watch that kid play? Sure Malik is probably better defensively. I mean I'll be surprised if we get anyone that good defensively.

Of course I'd rather have Timberlake, but do we actually have a chance with someone that good?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Eh idk did you watch that kid play? Sure Malik is probably better defensively. I mean I'll be surprised if we get anyone that good defensively.

Of course I'd rather have Timberlake, but do we actually have a chance with someone that good?
If we don't we hired the wrong coach.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

From where the transfers’ hometowns are that we’ve been involved with this week I’ve seen that it’s been Austin most likely reaching out but I could be 100% wrong just my two cents

And no I didn’t watch the kid that’s where I leave to my opinion up to someone like Iggy or 83 who’s in the knows of who’s has the talent or not, like I said Archie isn’t going to settle for guys who are on the worst team in their conferences that’s why I’m saying these kids are worse case scenario recruits
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

From where the transfers’ hometowns are that we’ve been involved with this week I’ve seen that it’s been Austin most likely reaching out but I could be 100% wrong just my two cents

And no I didn’t watch the kid that’s where I leave to my opinion up to someone like Iggy or 83 who’s in the knows of who’s has the talent or not, like I said Archie isn’t going to settle for guys who are on the worst team in their conferences that’s why I’m saying these kids are worse case scenario recruits
Well I watched him play against Fordham and Richmond and it was very clear to me he'd at worst be our second best player. Like I was shocked VMI had anyone that good. But yeah if you're right and they are worst case scenarios then we are in good shape!
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Well I watched him play against Fordham and Richmond and it was very clear to me he'd at worst be our second best player. Like I was shocked VMI had anyone that good. But yeah if you're right and they are worst case scenarios then we are in good shape!
PRT it was good that he played well against Fordham but in that game Quisenberry (Fordhams best player) didn’t even play, like I said it’s good we’re involved with a shooter but let’s aim higher
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago One other kid to look out for would be Georgetowns Brandon Murray, Ewing just got fired and we were after him in the portal last year, Kenny most definitely will reach out if he does
I know we tried hard as hell to get him before- yes, u r right, it would be a real get
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Archie getting better talent here is not only more challenging, but getting them to STAY here might even be more so. When the P6 comes calling with big money..
This is such a laughable reality. So sad its all about money.
I’m trying to think of who left the top 4 teams from last year. Not many if I remember correctly. Why?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I honestly think there is room to bring in a couple of players like this one. It really depends on how aggressive Archie wants to go with the roster turnover.
How about pre 'face tattoo' Mike Tyson aggressive? That would be good.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PRT it was good that he played well against Fordham but in that game Quisenberry (Fordhams best player) didn’t even play, like I said it’s good we’re involved with a shooter but let’s aim higher
Fordham, Richmond and Davidson...😂

You think we take two wing/SG players and a PG for the backcourt? Or just one wing and a PG?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

You think we take two wing/SG players and a PG for the backcourt? Or just one wing and a PG?
Wings are always good. The more wings, the better. Buffalo... with blue cheese
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Wings are always good. The more wings, the better. Buffalo... with blue cheese
Apparently, that's not always the case. There is at least one exception to the rule I am aware of...

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Wings are always good. The more wings, the better. Buffalo... with blue cheese
Bleu* you barbarian
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Would love a big wing like Tyrese for the 3 have always felt terrible for Ish & Jalen last year when they had to guard soemone who was 6’7” but yes I want a pg and two sg/wings
1 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Would be nice for Rhody to have a Timberlake
Is he transferring?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Mattrams94 wrote: 1 year ago
Is he transferring?
The one from Towson is yes.
0 x
Go Rhody
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Mattrams94 wrote: 1 year ago
Is he transferring?
The one from Towson is yes.
Ok
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

First A10 transfer of the offseason

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

First head scratcher of Portal season. Played 31 mins against us and killed us with 15 points. Playing for a helluva coach.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

These kids think they're good enough to move up and make more money...I'm not saying all of them, but lots of them. Watch.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago First head scratcher of Portal season. Played 31 mins against us and killed us with 15 points. Playing for a helluva coach.
I’m thinking the Drame twins are staying hence why he’s leaving
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago First head scratcher of Portal season. Played 31 mins against us and killed us with 15 points. Playing for a helluva coach.
He looked really athletic playing against us.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Dunphy didn't recruit him, and he only played 18.2 MPG this year. In the final 12 games of the year, he was mostly at 20+ MPG, except for three games where he still logged 13+ minutes, so his time did increase as the year went on. But it might have been too little, too late in that regard.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Any1 have this subscription interested to hear what it says

1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Bit the bullet and it looks like it’s between us and Louisville for him
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Thanks, we appreciate you doing that. Here's hoping. Can't go wrong with a grad student shooter or two.
2 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Getting side info from Jake. Will let you know.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Even if we miss on him there will be a million more to choose from
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Doesn’t seem to be a significant difference maker.
0 x
Go Rhody
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Doesn’t seem to be a significant difference maker.
Agreed would be a nice piece off the bench but not a big difference maker
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Bit the bullet and it looks like it’s between us and Louisville for him
Thanks for the intel, Dino.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

6'5" guard averaged 12.1 points and 4.9 rebounds on 37.8% shooting for 3s and 41.8% overall. That's more production than anyone other than Ish. Just a reminder - we SUCK right now and can use upgrades at every single position.
5 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
6'5" guard averaged 12.1 points and 4.9 rebounds on 37.8% shooting for 3s and 41.8% overall. That's more production than anyone other than Ish. Just a reminder - we SUCK right now and can use upgrades at every single position.
Yes pete he did have good numbers but at the same time he had those numbers on the worst team in the southern conference, and yes he had good games for the three games against A10 teams good to hear but we can do better imho
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We can’t have enough shooting on this roster so I say take them all. Hard to say who is or isn’t a difference maker without seeing what else will surround them.

Portalpalooza starts today buckle up!
4 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago We can’t have enough shooting on this roster so I say take them all. Hard to say who is or isn’t a difference maker without seeing what else will surround them.

Portalpalooza starts today buckle up!
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

so it begins.gif
so it begins.gif (955.52 KiB) Viewed 831 times
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Bit the bullet and it looks like it’s between us and Louisville for him
Against A10:
17 points against Richmond
15 points against Davidson
17 points against Fordham
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Section104 wrote: 1 year ago
Against A10:
And Weston had a double double against Kansas St who is a 3 seed in the tourney. You can cherry pick any stat to fit your argument.

His whole college career was decent at VMI, don’t think he’d be a huge difference maker in the A10.

Sure he’d probably help us a bit, but after El Ahmin and Betrand, it gives me pause to say a lower level player would significantly contribute here.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Against A10:
And Weston had a double double against Kansas St who is a 3 seed in the tourney. You can cherry pick any stat to fit your argument.

His whole college career was decent at VMI, don’t think he’d be a huge difference maker in the A10.

Sure he’d probably help us a bit, but after El Ahmin and Betrand, it gives me pause to say a lower level player would significantly contribute here.
It’s more than 1 game and all against our league so the stats aren’t meaningless in assessing his ability to translate to higher level. We need not only a couple of potential studs but also some role players. This kid could be that type. Look at Shriver at VCU this year for a comp. His stats weren’t gaudy but he was def a difference maker for VCU to space the floor and hit timely threes. He won the game at UD for them almost single handedly.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Against A10:

I am not really sold on Conway either and feel there are better options out there.

But some lower-level conference players can translate their success to a higher-level league.
It all depends on how well the staff evaluates those players.

Tyler Kolek from GM is the current BE POY.
Also Dae Dae Grant from Miami/Ohio was a good fit for Duquesne.
Many more examples, of course, around the nation.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Against A10:

I am not really sold on Conway either and feel there are better options out there.

But some lower-level conference players can translate their success to a higher-level league.

True, but Kolek was only a freshman when he transferred, Conway is a senior and probably isn’t going to get all that better next season wherever he goes.

Like BAR said, yes we need role players and Conway would probably fit that.

Wouldn’t expect him to be an all conference type kid.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

True, but Kolek was only a freshman when he transferred, Conway is a senior and probably isn’t going to get all that better next season wherever he goes.

I agree that if we go the direction of a grad transfer (1-year), we need a major impact player not just a role guy.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, we need role players. I want our role players to be Bassy, Tchikou, Rory, Weston and maybe the 2 frosh. I want our impact players to be Ish and 3 or 4 guys who aren't here yet.
3 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Against A10:

Agree - I guess I was just pointing out the three games against A10 competition. It's better than 3 points against Richmond, 0 against Davidson, and 4 against Fordham. I guess it shows he's a capable player against this level of competition. He is not our transfer savior.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I agree that if we go the direction of a grad transfer (1-year), we need a major impact player not just a role guy.
The goal is to get old at every position including role players. I don’t care if they are 1 year or 3 year option we need more scoring period.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

The goal is to get old at every position including role players. I don’t care if they are 1 year or 3 year option we need more scoring period.
We do, but much depends on how many spots we have open.
I still have plenty of trust in the staff in bringing in the right players.
0 x