2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Micah Shrewsbery , Brad Stevens former assistant with Butler and the Celtics has coached Penn St to the Big 10 title game , wasn’t he mentioned for us when Cox got hired ??
What an ending to that games, PSU almost blew it.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I did enjoy the random ESPN tidbit that had B. Hurley mentioned with Georgia Tech. I want him to hire his buddy Kenny Anderson, and we can get some late 80’s/early 90’s ACC magic going.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Micah Shrewsbery , Brad Stevens former assistant with Butler and the Celtics has coached Penn St to the Big 10 title game , wasn’t he mentioned for us when Cox got hired ??
Yeah his name definitely came up. I remember I was high on him at the time.

viewtopic.php?p=364287&hilit=shrewsberry#p364287
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
Yeah his name definitely came up. I remember I was high on him at the time.

viewtopic.php?p=364287&hilit=shrewsberry#p364287
Yeah in hindsight would have been a better hire than Cox but nothing we can do about that now
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 1 year ago I did enjoy the random ESPN tidbit that had B. Hurley mentioned with Georgia Tech. I want him to hire his buddy Kenny Anderson, and we can get some late 80’s/early 90’s ACC magic going.
ASU looks to be squarely on the bubble either last couple of teams in or 1st couple of teams out
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Feed this into my veins hahahaha
This would be a blow to the conference and another red flag, imho, if FM leaves UMass after 1 year.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How about Pitino back to his alma mater if Martin leaves?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Besides Georgetown, Micah Shrewsberry has been linked to several other openings.

Interesting that his son Braeden signed with PSU and is a very good player, #3 rated recruit in Pa for 2023.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Feed this into my veins hahahaha
This would be a blow to the conference and another red flag, imho, if FM leaves UMass after 1 year.
Yeah agree, can’t have him leaving after 1 year especially to a school like So Fla
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago How about Pitino back to his alma mater if Martin leaves?
Highly doubtful, he will be in a better conference than the A10
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Besides Georgetown, Micah Shrewsberry has been linked to several other openings.

Interesting that his son Braeden signed with PSU and is a very good player, #3 rated recruit in Pa for 2023.
Didn’t know that he had a son who played , good knowledge 77
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Wichita State fires Isaac Brown after three seasons. He was 48-34 as head coach of the Shockers with an NCAA appearance in his first year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah wow I’ve noticed some teams not afraid to make a move , the Buffalo coach also canned with a winning record
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Wichita State fires Isaac Brown after three seasons. He was 48-34 as head coach of the Shockers with an NCAA appearance in his first year.
Impressive move by WS.

Basketball is their lead sport. Thinking big; not settling for mediocrity. Good for them.

I wonder who they intend to target for HC?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago Wichita State fires Isaac Brown after three seasons. He was 48-34 as head coach of the Shockers with an NCAA appearance in his first year.
Impressive move by WS.

Basketball is their lead sport. Thinking big; not settling for mediocrity. Good for them.

Drums I’ve always liked their program , be cool if we could be in the same conference with them
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That’s pretty crazy, for any school. Something seems off there.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Impressive move by WS.

Drums I’ve always liked their program , be cool if we could be in the same conference with them
Agreed, Reef. They have a good program plus, basketball first schools should stick together, imo.

Since, in the near future, being in the same conference is unlikely unfortunately, I would settle for a home and home series.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cooley's Relationship with John Thompson

https://news.providence.edu/coach-ed-co ... ompson-64/
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ugh, this guy again…

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 1 year ago Ugh, this guy again…

Yeah I just saw that , can’t stand him and @ least it’s low D1
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Impressive move by WS.

Agreed, Reef. They have a good program plus, basketball first schools should stick together, imo.

Since, in the near future, being in the same conference is unlikely unfortunately, I would settle for a home and home series.
They should honestly bring back Marshall.

With the never ending news cycle and multiple coaches getting in trouble/fired and rehired since then, they’d face minimal blowback for the hire.
0 x
Go Rhody
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

Ed cooley is a providence guy and is all about Rhode Island basketball. Growing up a hard luck case off Thurbers ave....Working his way through the system largely through Rhode island basketball and earning a good RI salary. Its certainly good enough to survive on in Rhode Island with good quality of life .(where's he living now?)He's also probably concerned about legacy.His alleged deeparture is just a stunt started by other coaches to hinder his recruiting through the portal.His silence also calms the boosters should they get 2 rambunctious because of what's happened to the fryers the last 2 weeks and any bad news that could happen as early as Thursday
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Who are the candidates that PC would go after should Cooley leave?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pitino top of the list
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

class of 86 wrote: 1 year ago Ed cooley is a providence guy and is all about Rhode Island basketball. Growing up a hard luck case off Thurbers ave....Working his way through the system largely through Rhode island basketball and earning a good RI salary. Its certainly good enough to survive on in Rhode Island with good quality of life .(where's he living now?)He's also probably concerned about legacy.His alleged deeparture is just a stunt started by other coaches to hinder his recruiting through the portal.His silence also calms the boosters should they get 2 rambunctious because of what's happened to the fryers the last 2 weeks and any bad news that could happen as early as Thursday
National legitimate media types wouldn’t be commenting on it if it was a stunt being instigated by other coaches. All of this info flows thru boosters, agents and search firms.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Pitino top of the list
Billy the Kid
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Billy the Kid
Oh yes, very possible
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

class of 86 wrote: 1 year ago Ed cooley is a providence guy and is all about Rhode Island basketball. Growing up a hard luck case off Thurbers ave....Working his way through the system largely through Rhode island basketball and earning a good RI salary. Its certainly good enough to survive on in Rhode Island with good quality of life .(where's he living now?)He's also probably concerned about legacy.His alleged deeparture is just a stunt started by other coaches to hinder his recruiting through the portal.His silence also calms the boosters should they get 2 rambunctious because of what's happened to the fryers the last 2 weeks and any bad news that could happen as early as Thursday
National legitimate media types wouldn’t be commenting on it if it was a stunt being instigated by other coaches. All of this info flows thru boosters, agents and search firms.
You seem to be the only one actually still believing there’s a chance he goes.

Zero chance he leaves for GT. Zero.

Georgetown may want to talk with him all they want, and that’s what the media is reporting on. Just because they’re interested, doesn’t mean he is.

Nothing out there at all has Cooley interested in going there, it’s all one sided.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Georgetown may want to talk with him all they want, and that’s what the media is reporting on. Just because they’re interested, doesn’t mean he is.

Nothing out there at all has Cooley interested in going there, it’s all one sided.
There is never zero chance when millions of dollars are involved.
It’s not 1 sided but you can believe whatever you’d like. Not saying he goes but you don’t know what you don’t know.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billy the Kid
I wouldn’t like that. I think Donovan would be even more successful than Cooley, IMO. Therefore, I would rather have Cooley stay than having that possibility come to fruition.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billy the Kid
That does make a lot of sense , Billy the Kid underachieving with the Bulls
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hmm

1 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Was just about to post that. Ultimately you could probably find a way to interpret his comments any way you want, but I want him to leave so I am choosing to interpret them as he's gone!! :lol:
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If you listen to those quotes and still think there is “zero chance” he leaves…well…then I don’t know what to tell you.
3 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

I take it as he’s fighting for a raise for himself and his staff
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If you listen to those quotes and still think there is “zero chance” he leaves…well…then I don’t know what to tell you.
Very much did not rule it out when given the chance.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Take that Gtown job Big Ed !!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ewing was making about $4M a year at GTown. How much does Cooley make?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Was just about to post that. Ultimately you could probably find a way to interpret his comments any way you want, but I want him to leave so I am choosing to interpret them as he's gone!! :lol:
Easy to interpret that as

"Yes I am going to Georgetown after we lose in the first round again"

Seems like every coach ever says

"No I am not thinking about leaving I'm only thinking about ____." Immediately leaves without a second thought.
1 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago I take it as he’s fighting for a raise for himself and his staff
It’s not salary, it’s NIL. The school is working to accommodate as best they can.

It’s not zero that he goes to Georgetown but it’s close. Ed’s only planning to coach for 5 or so more years, so a full rebuild at this stage of his career isn’t something that’s very enticing.

PC is not prepping contingency plans, but I was told that there’s been back channel interest from pretty high profile names in the event that there is an opening.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago
Backroads wrote: 1 year ago I take it as he’s fighting for a raise for himself and his staff
It’s not salary, it’s NIL. The school is working to accommodate as best they can.

It’s not zero that he goes to Georgetown but it’s close. Ed’s only planning to coach for 5 or so more years, so a full rebuild at this stage of his career isn’t something that’s very enticing.

PC is not prepping contingency plans, but I was told that there’s been back channel interest from pretty high profile names in the event that there is an opening.
Rebuild? Huh? How many transfers are playing at pc?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Lol are you really comparing Georgetowns situation to PCs? Are you serious?

Georgetown has been an absolute laughing stock with Ewing, PC one of the most consistent teams in the Big East since Cooley took over.

Either you’re trolling or truly think Georgetown and PC are In similar program positions, in which case you have zero idea what you’re talking about.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Georgetown has been an absolute laughing stock with Ewing, PC one of the most consistent teams in the Big East since Cooley took over.

Either you’re trolling or truly think Georgetown and PC are In similar program positions, in which case you have zero idea what you’re talking about.
Trolling? No. How many transfers does pc have playing for them? Ed has done a good job on transfers at pc. What, he can't do the same at GT?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Honest question, did that sound like a "zero chance" answer to the question to you?

PC vs Georgetown there is no argument PC is in obviously a much better place right now. It's all about ceiling and what's possible. As a coach said to me "it's not arguable that it's easier to get to a final four from Georgetown than it is from PC."
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Honest question, did that sound like a "zero chance" answer to the question to you?

PC vs Georgetown there is no argument PC is in obviously a much better place right now. It's all about ceiling and what's possible. As a coach said to me "it's not arguable that it's easier to get to a final four from Georgetown than it is from PC."
I just think his ego is now too inflated and he’s talked too big a game these last few years at PC to up and leave.

Would come off a fraud if he left his hometown team for another school in the same conference.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just think his ego is now too inflated and he’s talked too big a game these last few years at PC to up and leave.

Would come off a fraud if he left his hometown team for another school in the same conference.
Not sure about you, but if I'm making $2M more than currently, I wouldn't care what you called me. You would still be a squakbox on a fan site, and his family would be millions richer.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Wow can’t wait to see what transpires

Leave Eddie leave !!
I think if he gets an offer, he will.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If he's ego driven as you say do you not think rubbing elbows with the President and being the biggest name in a much bigger city while working at a world renowned institution is a compelling proposition?

And none of these guys care what "people" think...they care about their families and their coaching fraternity and those people won't bat an eye at it.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Turning around Georgetown basketball, with all their history and personal meaningfulness to him, would be an achievement Cooley would really value, imo. He’d spin it to PC fans as proud of his work there, turning it over to someone who can take it even further, stay with these guys and continue to support them because they deserve it. Then, he does the Georgetown thing for a few years and turns that into some basketball-related leadership position. Will it happen? Kind of doubt it? Who know, but that’s my imagined path to a change.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

He's not the only one. I think he goes.
0 x