The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If Paxson Wojcik (Brown) enters the portal, I would take him.
Immediate impact player and a quick fix.
He is an excellent shooter and solid CG/wing averaged 15 pts (46% FG,38% 3PT) 7 rebs/ and led the team in assists (3.2).
He was voted 2nd Team All-Ivy 22-23.

1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He’s in the portal Jersey (think I saw Verbal Commits confirm it yesterday). Agree with your take; he would be a nice piece and given he knows the area there is an ease of use at play for him. Can just relocate 30 minutes away.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yeah he's officially in.

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago If Paxson Wojcik (Brown) enters the portal, I would take him.
He is an excellent shooter and solid CG/wing averaged 15 pts (46% FG,38% 3PT) 7 rebs/ and led the team in assists (3.2).

I believe his dad is an assistant at Mich St? Would seem to be an obvious choice if Izzo thinks he can contribute.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago He’s in the portal Jersey (think I saw Verbal Commits confirm it yesterday). Agree with your take; he would be a nice piece and given he knows the area there is an ease of use at play for him. Can just relocate 30 minutes away.
Yep BAR, the staff should be all over him.
Heaven knows we need some good shooters, and smart hard-nosed players with a great basketball IQ.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I hope we can get a couple impact ones like Duquesne and Fordham. I can’t believe that I just wrote I hope we can recruit as well as those two programs…how far we have fallen.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago If Paxson Wojcik (Brown) enters the portal, I would take him.

I believe his dad is an assistant at Mich St? Would seem to be an obvious choice if Izzo thinks he can contribute.
Yes, his father is an assistant there, but sometimes those situations don't always work out.
They already have starters Hoggard and Akins probably returning, so maybe not the best fit for him.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Changing the subject to Kenny Johnson. Assuming he was our lead recruiter, and now cannot be recruiting per his punishment, where does that leave us? Can he still make contact with players unofficially? From a practical standpoint, is Archie short a major part of the rebuild? Will the recruiting results mirror this “shortage”?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Changing the subject to Kenny Johnson. Assuming he was our lead recruiter, and now cannot be recruiting per his punishment, where does that leave us? Can he still make contact with players unofficially? From a practical standpoint, is Archie short a major part of the rebuild? Will the recruiting results mirror this “shortage”?
He can still recruit full-time just can't attend the 2 evaluation sessions.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago Changing the subject to Kenny Johnson. Assuming he was our lead recruiter, and now cannot be recruiting per his punishment, where does that leave us? Can he still make contact with players unofficially? From a practical standpoint, is Archie short a major part of the rebuild? Will the recruiting results mirror this “shortage”?
And further to that given recruiting is an entirely different animal now - 365/24/7 - versus a few key exposure events that used to be the norm those restrictions don’t really amount to much. Austin, Archie and Brian can attend those events.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yes, his father is an assistant there, but sometimes those situations don't always work out.
They already have starters Hoggard and Akins probably returning, so maybe not the best fit for him.
That’s also a big leap from Ivy to Big10. Not saying he won’t do it bc kids do the darndest things it’s prob a bit above his pay grade. Also doesn’t scream the profile of player Izzo generally favors. But nowadays anything is possible.

I am fairly sure Archie is gonna bring in 2-3 shooters if not more. He has basically said as much.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Just saw this and wasn’t aware…only grad transfers can officially enter the portal right now. Undergrad transfers can’t enter until March 13th. So it’s a bit of a calm before the storm for next few days. Won’t stop the rumors from swirling.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Just saw this and wasn’t aware…only grad transfers can officially enter the portal right now. Undergrad transfers can’t enter until March 13th. So it’s a bit of a calm before the storm for next few days. Won’t stop the rumors from swirling.
They don't want to mass exodus into the portal to take attention away from Championship Week and Selection Sunday
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Just saw this and wasn’t aware…only grad transfers can officially enter the portal right now. Undergrad transfers can’t enter until March 13th. So it’s a bit of a calm before the storm for next few days. Won’t stop the rumors from swirling.
They don't want to mass exodus into the portal to take attention away from Championship Week and Selection Sunday
Makes perfect sense, I had zero idea as well.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not sure BAR, very confusing.

It was reported that Brayon Freeman officially entered the portal and he is sophomore.
There are many undergraduates on verbal commits listed in the portal.
Once a student athlete decides to transfer they are dismissed and removed from the roster.

Also Tyrone Baker from Dayton.
https://theportalreport.com/2022/12/19/ ... er-portal/

Maybe these kids are in the portal but just can't be contacted by interested teams until 3/13.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

So basically we could hear about Carey, but anything else would have to wait a week or so. Officially, at least.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
So basically we could hear about Carey, but anything else would have to wait a week or so. Officially, at least.
I think the rumors will swirl regardless so by no means will this be a quiet week. But it does seem that officially nothing can happen until next week.
But as Jersey pointed out we know Bray is in the portal so who the hell knows.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Great resource to track:

2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
I think the rumors will swirl regardless so by no means will this be a quiet week. But it does seem that officially nothing can happen until next week.
But as Jersey pointed out we know Bray is in the portal so who the hell knows.
That situation seems like an extenuating circumstance.
0 x
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Great resource to track:

Wow, what happened at Georgia State? 6 guys in the portal already.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Makes perfect sense, I had zero idea as well.
As always, it's about tv revenue to the schools, conferences and NCAA. I know you get it but will add context anyway.

If national guys like Goodman, Rothstein, Parrish, and Norlander are all tweeting about who is entering the portal instead of tweeting about bubble teams in conference championships, it ultimately takes away attention from the casual fans watching games that have real bracket implications.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good call, he would be a great URI Ram
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

This dude can ball. Local, too (Braintree, MA).

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Going to make a very simple straightforward statement
If URI wants to be good at basketball again, their boosters will have to shell out big NIL money, or else.
Sorry if this ruffles some feathers, but it's a flat out fact. Pay to play is the new reality in college BB, like it or not.
7 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Archie getting better talent here is not only more challenging, but getting them to STAY here might even be more so. When the P6 comes calling with big money..
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Doombone is back!
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Archie getting better talent here is not only more challenging, but getting them to STAY here might even be more so. When the P6 comes calling with big money..
This is such a laughable reality. So sad its all about money.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Archie getting better talent here is not only more challenging, but getting them to STAY here might even be more so. When the P6 comes calling with big money..
Different sport yes, and only one example, but BC wide receiver Zay Flowers turned down a 600K NIL deal last offseason at another school and stayed put.

Money will play a bigger role, but I don’t think it’ll be the sole reason kids go to a school.
0 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It’s kinda taking the fun out of it. If I knew a player was being paid six figures I could see how people would now think it’s ok to treat them like professionals and boo when unhappy, and criticize to your hearts content (some do that already).
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Different sport yes, and only one example, but BC wide receiver Zay Flowers turned down a 600K NIL deal last offseason at another school and stayed put.

Money will play a bigger role, but I don’t think it’ll be the sole reason kids go to a school.

There are always exceptions and stand up people and I would say he is both. That’s a lot of money to turn down. Do we know what, if anything he was given when he stayed?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago

There are always exceptions and stand up people and I would say he is both. That’s a lot of money to turn down. Do we know what, if anything he was given when he stayed?
His package was upped but I never saw an exact figure.
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

da Bone is back!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I really do not like seeing Rhody in the color brown as in the graphic. I really wish Rhody Vault, being a Rhody/URI Alum, supporter and fan would find another moniker to use when tweeting about other programs. For example, Rhodee instead of Rhody.

It’s a big ask of RV, I know, but I for one hope he considers it and the sooner the better.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I could be wrong, but I feel like an accomplished grad transfer would not want to spend his last year with a rebuilding team. They want to win. I am more interested in younger transfers that can play 2-3 years for us.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Oh great! Thks. I misunderstood the penalty
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Going to make a very simple straightforward statement
If URI wants to be good at basketball again, their boosters will have to shell out big NIL money, or else.
Sorry if this ruffles some feathers, but it's a flat out fact. Pay to play is the new reality in college BB, like it or not.
What do u think our A10 competitors shell out? Is it really big time? For that matter, what is BIG TIME?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

We need a college basketball only transfer market analysis. It may take another year or two to shake out.

Is their a site out in the inter-verse tracking and aggravating info on NIL deals by sport?

I think I read about one many months ago in one of the threads but I can’t recall which one or when.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

I really do not like seeing Rhody in the color brown as in the graphic. I really wish Rhody Vault, being a Rhody/URI Alum, supporter and fan would find another moniker to use when tweeting about other programs. For example, Rhodee instead of Rhody.

It’s a big ask of RV, I know, but I for one hope he considers it and the sooner the better.
I debated him on that. He blocked me.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks, 78. Appreciate the effort.

JDrums#3 is getting upset! 😤
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 year ago I could be wrong, but I feel like an accomplished grad transfer would not want to spend his last year with a rebuilding team. They want to win. I am more interested in younger transfers that can play 2-3 years for us.
I do not want a grad transfer unless they will move the needle. Anyone who thinks they will not move the needle and is worried about winning here need not apply.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Thanks, 78. Appreciate the effort.

JDrums#3 is getting upset! 😤
escoclarkie
Providence College has nothing to do with 'Rhody'. Please stop using our name.
rhodyvault
I cover hoops I’m Rhode Island. Little Rhody is a nickname for the state of Rhode Island. Appreciate the feedback though.
escoclarkie
Especially when it comes to hoops, Rhody is URI.....and you know that.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 year ago I could be wrong, but I feel like an accomplished grad transfer would not want to spend his last year with a rebuilding team. They want to win. I am more interested in younger transfers that can play 2-3 years for us.
I do not want a grad transfer unless they will move the needle. Anyone who thinks they will not move the needle and is worried about winning here need not apply.
You don't have to worry.
No way Archie brings in a grad transfer with only 1-year eligibility, unless he feels they will make an immediate impact and move our needle.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This top scoring freshman guard probably looking for a big P5 deal.

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The good news and the bad news. There are less than 100 P6 teams and most are not looking for short term fixes, but they have lots of NIL money to give out. If they want Archie or Tammi, they will pay any buy-out and double their salary in a blink of an eye. Mid-majors are the minor league teams of D1 college basketball.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Sorry to be a downer, but its reality.

Money talks.

Bullshit walks.

Do I want to be negative about this?

No.

Can we be good again?

Of course.

Will it be easy?

Of course not.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Or....accomplished grad transfer may not care about that and rather just be able to be a serious conference standout on his own...
Ride the pine for a "winner" or, get to jack shots for a year for a mediocre team with an outside shot at postseason....gimme option B.
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Sorry to be a downer, but its reality.

Money talks.

Bullshit walks.

Do I want to be negative about this?

No.

Can we be good again?

Of course.

Will it be easy?

Of course not.
This is true, but I see plennnnnty of Mid-high major (non p-6) programs doing just fine. Smaller schools than URI even.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Imagine turning down any amount of money at all to stay at BC? If I woke up tomorrow as a BC student and with 600k in my checking account I’d gladly pay someone 600k to get me out of there.
5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago

Imagine turning down any amount of money at all to stay at BC? If I woke up tomorrow as a BC student and with 600k in my checking account I’d gladly pay someone 600k to get me out of there.

For those who want to do a little light reading.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... atform=amp

Flowers had a tremendous senior year and will be a first round pick this upcoming draft, so not all was lost staying at BC.
0 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago

For those who want to do a little light reading.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... atform=amp

Flowers had a tremendous senior year and will be a first round pick this upcoming draft, so not all was lost staying at BC.
Integrity and commitment. More rare than ever these days. Good for that kid, I hope he makes it.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.