Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Re: Rhody MBB Scholarship Tracker

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Interesting that you don’t see KC mentioned in any of the recruiting articles. The other three are usually mentioned together. There’s got to be something going on there that we aren’t privy to. We’ll see how it plays out.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

We have a full roster of 13.
How many players will be in Archie's rotation?
What are the chances of Rory, Hutch, or Foumena redshirting?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good question as to redshirts. I haven’t given it any thought. I really don’t know enough yet to venture a guess.

My very early shot at your rotation question: I think we could go 9-10 deep with the rotation considering we will be playing with high intensity and at a fast pace. Then, perhaps Archie scales it down to 8-9 as we get into conference play.

I think the freshman will get playing time early. If any surprise then more playing time will come.

These questions are difficult.There’s only so many minutes available in a game.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago We have a full roster of 13.
Add Parnell Pierre and Jimmy Ball and we have 15 players dressed to play in every game.

10 players in the rotation. He played relatively high numbers of players at Indiana.

Zero chance Stewart or Foumena redshirt. I have both in my starting 5 with Stewart my 5th starter. If Stewart doesn't start he will get good playing time off the bench and in the rotation.

If a players needs to redshirt he probably needs to enter the Transfer Portal. It's so easy to transfer now, no sit out penalties anymore. Go somewhere where you can get the playing time now. With an average of 5+ Transfers out per D1 Team the past 2 years Redshirting is far from any type of guarantee that a player will get Playing Time the following year if he sits out.

Plus, if a player can't get playing time for URI this season and decides to redshirt, the chances of getting playing time next season will be even tough. Miller and Staff will have a Full Year (not just the 4 months since they got on Board) to bring in highly qualified Freshmen and Transfers.

Players need to Fish or Cut Bait.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Add Parnell Pierre and Jimmy Ball and we have 15 players dressed to play in every game.

10 players in the rotation. He played relatively high numbers of players at Indiana.

Zero chance Stewart or Foumena redshirt. I have both in my starting 5 with Stewart my 5th starter. If Stewart doesn't start he will get good playing time off the bench and in the rotation.

If a players needs to redshirt he probably needs to enter the Transfer Portal. It's so easy to transfer now, no sit out penalties anymore. Go somewhere where you can get the playing time now. With an average of 5+ Transfers out per D1 Team the past 2 years Redshirting is far from any type of guarantee that a player will get Playing Time the following year if he sits out.

Plus, if a player can't get playing time for URI this season and decides to redshirt, the chances of getting playing time next season will be even tough. Miller and Staff will have a Full Year (not just the 4 months since they got on Board) to bring in highly qualified Freshmen and Transfers.

Well yeah Ramster, I wasn't counting the walk-ons.

I will be extremely surprised to see Rory in our starting line-up, but he may get decent minutes.
Hutch would probably be our only redshirt candidate.

I do disagree with you about redshirting on its way out.
Some recruits just aren't ready for div. 1 or don't want to waste a year of eligibility if they only get very limited minutes.
These players may feel comfortable with the staff and college and don't want to make a change.

Last season even with relaxed transfer rules and almost all waivers being granted, many recruits around the nation did decide to redshirt.
After all our own Samb redshirted and decided to stay with the program.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

I will be extremely surprised to see Rory in our starting line-up, but he may get decent minutes.

Some recruits just aren't ready for div. 1 or don't want to waste a year of eligibility if they only get very limited minutes.
These players may feel comfortable with the staff and college and don't want to make a change.

Last season even with relaxed transfer rules and almost all waivers being granted, many recruits around the nation did decide to redshirt.
Remember there is a big logjam of players with the Covid Freebie decision. Players who should be moved on with their 4 years used up are still on rosters. Malik Martin an example whereby someone else would be getting his Playing Time this season.
Carey had a medical redshirt year after hurting his thumb Soph year at Syracuse but Carey is actually going into his 5th year playing year plus with a Freebie Covid year next year (his 6th in college)

Covid freebie year will hurt playing time for college players for a full 4 years of college competition before it’s all gone. Results in redshirting decisions and impacts guys transferring like musical chairs.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Remember there is a big logjam of players with the Covid Freebie decision. Players who should be moved on with their 4 years used up are still on rosters. Malik Martin an example whereby someone else would be getting his Playing Time this season.
Carey had a medical redshirt year after hurting his thumb Soph year at Syracuse but Carey is actually going into his 5th year playing year plus with a Freebie Covid year next year (his 6th in college)

Covid freebie year will hurt playing time for college players for a full 4 years of college competition before it’s all gone. Results in redshirting decisions and impacts guys transferring like musical chairs.
The Covid free year (20-21) does make it more difficult for younger recruits to break into the line-ups.
I think that just makes the decision easier for some of these players to RS.

Many may choose this route and take a scholarship rather than going to prep an additional year.

Redshirting will always be a good option for some kids and not wasting a year of eligibility.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Updated with Myers decommit.
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Okay Ramster, I will give you partial credit for your early prediction that we will lose at least 1 player from our roster to start 22-23.
Even though in Ant's case, that isn't exactly how I feel you meant it.

Hopefully he successfully fills his academic requirements from JUCO and can enroll, joining the team after 1st semester.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Okay Ramster, I will give you partial credit for your early prediction that we will lose at least 1 player from our roster to start 22-23.

Hopefully he successfully fills his academic requirements from JUCO and can enroll, joining the team after 1st semester.
This is what I said 3-4 months ago. One statement. There were no qualifiers or non-qualifiers.
But I’ll take the partial credit, although I thought it was more of a pass/fail grading system. Consider November 1 is still a ways to go as well. It’s only September.
ramster wrote: 1 year ago I’d wager this roster is not the same as it is now on November 1, 2022
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago I'm going with the ramster...we'll lose a player....and it will be nbd.
NYGFan_Section208
We did lose one and it really is NBD in the big scheme of things. Possibly he returns but roster transition is very fluid in the College game today. Have to go with the flow and live with lots of roster change year to year and even within years.

Now come back here and post. It’s College Football Season and NFL started yesterday. URI Soccer too.
Humongous Delaware Game next Saturday!!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Okay Ramster, I will give you partial credit for your early prediction that we will lose at least 1 player from our roster to start 22-23.

This is what I said 3-4 months ago. One statement. There were no qualifiers or non-qualifiers.
But I’ll take the partial credit, although I thought it was more of a pass/fail grading system. Consider November 1 is still a ways to go as well. It’s only September.
ramster wrote: 1 year ago I’d wager this roster is not the same as it is now on November 1, 2022
;) , yep no qualifiers.

At the time, I guess we weren't thinking about an academic casualty.
More about players being recruited over and transferring out.

If he joins the team 2nd semester, I guess he will be a part of the 22-23 roster.
So yeah, partial credit is fair.

I doubt very much there will be any more changes by Nov. 1st.
All our players seem very committed to the team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

;) , yep no qualifiers.

If he joins the team 2nd semester, I guess he will be a part of the 22-23 roster.

Most doubted there would be any changes.
My statement was broad and simple. Roster will not be the same.
When there are that many changes in a roster (additions and subtractions) anything can happen.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

;) , yep no qualifiers.

Most doubted there would be any changes.
My statement was broad and simple. Roster will not be the same.
When there are that many changes in a roster (additions and subtractions) anything can happen.
True Ramster.

I really hope Archie can keep most of this roster intact for next season.
We are young and the staff's intent was to build for the future.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

FYI not surprising, Anthony Harris was just officially removed from the 22-23 roster GoRhody.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Even with Archie’s statement, I don’t have much confidence he’ll be on the squad in January.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Any chance we can pin this thread?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Attached is latest Scholarship Grid w changes:

-Removed Brayon Freeman.
-Removed Anthony Harris until further notice.
-Removed KC Nwafor commit.
-Keeping Jalen with next year eligibility on the grid.
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Attached is latest Scholarship Grid w changes:

-Removed Brayon Freeman.
Great work, thank you. So more than likely we have two scholarships for next year because there's no indication that Carey will be staying, and that's before we lose anyone to the transfer portal. Definitely opportunities to improve our roster
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

-Removed Brayon Freeman.
Great work, thank you. So more than likely we have two scholarships for next year because there's no indication that Carey will be staying, and that's before we lose anyone to the transfer portal. Definitely opportunities to improve our roster
Yes, in the interview with Bassy on the coaches show the other night, he said something like...we want to win some games and end the season on a good note for our seniors, Malik and Jalen. Archie has also hinted that this is Jalen's last year. It seems pretty clear that this is it for Jalen.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

-Removed Brayon Freeman.
Oh boy this makes me want to speculate!

I think you would hope two or three more scholarships to open up to fill four key holes in the roster.

You get an experienced big man.

You replace Bray with a transfer. Nobody wants Bassey or one or Estevez to start.

Either Carey comes back, Ant finally joins us or you get another veteran guard.

You get a wing transfer to replace Malik. Unless you like where Hutch is with his development. Love Weston there, but would prefer to recruit over Hutch.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Carey will be gone
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

-Removed Brayon Freeman.
What did I miss? When did KC Nwafor decommit?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago

-Removed Brayon Freeman.
What did I miss? When did KC Nwafor decommit?
I have no idea how it works with an international recruit, like if they have to sign letters of intent. If so, URI didn't get one. Its also been radio silence when it comes to him, because he doesn't really have social media. It's probably something a media member would have to confirm though, or if anyone runs into Miller or another assistant coach.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

-Removed Brayon Freeman.

I think you would hope two or three more scholarships to open up to fill four key holes in the roster.

You replace Bray with a transfer. Nobody wants Bassey or one or Estevez to start.

You get a wing transfer to replace Malik. Unless you like where Hutch is with his development. Love Weston there, but would prefer to recruit over Hutch.
The staff really needs to put on their selling shoes and bring in some impact players this off season.
No more time to experiment, we already have enough raw players on our roster, plus 2 freshmen coming in.

We are in need of solid/proven immediate impact players at these positions: PG, CG/wing that is a dependable shooter, and of course a big that can step in and contribute.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

-Removed Brayon Freeman.

The staff really needs to put on their selling shoes and bring in some impact players this off season.
No more time to experiment, we already have enough raw players on our roster, plus 2 freshmen coming in.

We are in need of solid/proven immediate impact players at these positions: PG, CG/wing that is a dependable shooter, and of course a big that can step in and contribute.
Yeah in my view you add a big, wing, SG and PG

Samb, Hutch and Bassy transfer.

So you have veteran PG running the point with Estevez

Ish, either Ant if he comes or another SG from the portal with Dubsky

A wing transfer with Weston

Rory is your only stretch four player, I'd like to see him in with another big in the future.

Big transfer, Bilau, Tchikou and Foumena

Then you'll be seeing a pretty significant turnaround and I don't think you'd be sacrificing your culture if you're brining back six players.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rory is your only stretch four player, I'd like to see him in with another big in the future.

Then you'll be seeing a pretty significant turnaround and I don't think you'd be sacrificing your culture if you're brining back six players.
I'm not ready to give up on Hutchinson. He's extremely athletic and long. Whether or not that shows up on the basketball is the question. We'll see. But he's very young and a very smart kid too. I'll be disappointed if he transfers.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

I'm not ready to give up on Hutchinson. He's extremely athletic and long. Whether or not that shows up on the basketball is the question. We'll see. But he's very young and a very smart kid too. I'll be disappointed if he transfers.
I like the potential of Hutch also, but I am concerned because Archie is giving him no run.
With only 9 players available and he already burned his opportunity to RS, why isn't he seeing the floor.
He should get some court time; it isn't as if the players in front of him are all studs.
Let's see what happens with him going forward.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah I think he could be good. But would I sacrifice his scholarship for some wing player with two or three years of eligibility left whose better? Yes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I really wanted to see Lou get in last night , maybe next game ??
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago I really wanted to see Lou get in last night , maybe next game ??
Reef, going into last nights game, I thought Hutch might get in ahead of Rory due to VCU’s quickness and athleticism. I figured Rory might struggle so Arch would go to Hutch (being more athletic imo) over Rory, at least initially.

Maybe Arch didn’t want to throw Hutch to the wolves against VCU since he hasn’t played in a long time.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hutch showed flashes when he played early in the season , let’s get another look
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated Grid to reflect the start of 2023-24:
Attachments
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Help!!!
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I believe this tracker is very good but it probably needs to reset at the end of the mbb season with who is leaving and who is staying. Technically all scholarships are open
IMO
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I believe this tracker is very good but it probably needs to reset at the end of the mbb season with who is leaving and who is staying. Technically all scholarships are open
IMO
The grid will be updated with each roster change, including those who enter the portal or commitments we receive.
2 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Jalen Carey “ could “ be back next year.
Help us all. He he plays next year does that qualify him for a state pension?. Dam Covid year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodysk wrote: 1 year ago Jalen Carey “ could “ be back next year.
Help us all. He he plays next year does that qualify him for a state pension?. Dam Covid year.
I think only if he paid dues on his NIL?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I believe this tracker is very good but it probably needs to reset at the end of the mbb season with who is leaving and who is staying. Technically all scholarships are open
IMO
When you say, "technically", you really mean "hopefully", right?
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Start dropping names off...50% or more will be gone
Welcome to the NEW NCAA!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Start dropping names off...50% or more will be gone
Welcome to the NEW NCAA!!!!!!!!!!
I'll be surprised (and probably disappointed) if there is not more than 50% turnover...and pretty sure I'll have company
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

We're already down to only 6 players who played this year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago We're already down to only 6 players who played this year.
To keep with the Jeopardy rules...."What is 'progress'"?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want Carey gone from URI
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
I want Carey gone from URI
Why? He's currently the best returning player if he returns.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just figure it’s time , Arch can find someone in the portal
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Updated Grid - removing Ish and Abdou:
RhodyMBB_Grid.png
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for keeping this current, Cams.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago Just figure it’s time , Arch can find someone in the portal
I'm not sure how many guards they will have better than him next year. But, pretty sure that, right now, they don't have any...
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I just got a new pair of Addidas just in case they need an extra for pick up games in Kingston until we sign another guard or two. No fast breaking, though; just walk the ball up play because my running and jumping days are over. :lol:

I’ll call Archie and drop Rhody Vault’s name to see if I am good to go.
0 x