3/7 | La Salle | 4:30PM (ESPN+) | A10 First Round

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Re: 3/7 | La Salle | 4:30PM (ESPN+) | A10 First Round

Unread post by Dino611 »

Also wouldn’t shock me if we get the announcements of who’s transferring by the end of this week, Archie doesn’t wanna fall behind like he did last year
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago In a few short weeks all the negativity will be gone and the glowing predictions for next year will be ever present.
Can’t help myself. But probably. Especially regarding new players. With a condition here, it seems, that with the lists of schools “interested in so and so” and so and so has “heard” from schools, the collective we goes ga ga over players that select us from those meaningless lists. It will happen again. No?
Sure it will 105. Even if it's a 1* player, people will hype him like the next MJ. I stick to mainstream recruit rankings. Outside of that, I think it's wait and see. I'm not a coach, or scout or even watch high school ball. If we get a player to commit and it's on CBS and ESPN, I know we are good. Just me I guess.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Two of the funniest thing I've read today.

1. You said you have the same brain as one of the nicest most respectful people on here in Jersey. Someone that tries to have a positive outlook about this team and recruits. Which is the complete opposite of you.

2. You just called yourself optimistic? Is bashing Jermaine Harris 24/7 being optimistic?
1. I said we think the same way and post a lot of the same stuff, he says it in a much different way. Jersey calls it how he sees it, and disagrees with plenty of people here. He might be a “nicer” poster, sure whatever.

2. I used to be insanely optimistic about the team. But, ya know, I can watch someone (Harris) play basketball and actually tell he’s not any good, when 99% of others said he was a good player who could contribute when he CLEARLY couldn’t.

But enough posting from you right? Don’t you have more prep school games to stream?
Sorry mods. I know this isn't what you guys want here, so I'll try to ignore 15 moving forward.

For whatever reason, me watching recruits is one of the million things you have a problem with on here. You don't seem to understand that I watch the recruits because I'm obsessed with the team. I thought you would know this since you claim to be a coach, but these prep games are quick.. It's easy to fit in a couple of games in a week. Very... I still work full-time, watch movies/shows/sports, play basketball or tennis, and chess on Sundays, go to the gym, and spend time with family and friends. This idea that I have to block out all these hours to watch a few games and clips isn't true...

The only game I was streaming was our game... But I'll be watching plenty of games and clips of recruits this offseason because we will be in the mix with many players. You'll be seeing update after update. Probably some highlight clips as well. We know you hate those! I may add a couple of full games, and I'm warning you now you may see a few people here saying they are excited about some of the recruits. I know that's tough for you to handle, so I apologize now.

Do you know who else will be watching recruits this off-season? Jersey. I consider him a friend..We talk daily about this team and recruits; Maybe in person, you're a different person. But on here, I promise you, you're nothing like him.
Stevey, I am very much looking forward to your off-season player scouting insights, video clips and player status updates. It’s an important time for the program and I am excited about digging in to it.

Go Rhody!
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Trust that he knows that. Read his post game comments and look at the guys we have already shown interest in. The staff is going to prioritize offensive players. No way Archie is running one of the worst offenses in cbb back out there again.
I'm guessing Archie is riding his assistants to get some damn good players now.
He or whoever’s allowed need to ride the boosters with the big bank accounts too.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

3 x
GO RAMS
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Trust that he knows that. Read his post game comments and look at the guys we have already shown interest in. The staff is going to prioritize offensive players. No way Archie is running one of the worst offenses in cbb back out there again.
He or whoever’s allowed need to ride the boosters with the big bank accounts too.
Paging Tom Ryan
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
If that doesn’t tell the team spots are on the line I don’t know what does.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I agree, but there needs to be some acountability. Can't just pay a recruit for no performance. Need a contract on performance.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Fuckin' right Archie!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

We have the right coach. For sure.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

FIGHT ARCHIE FIGHT

WE GOT YOUR BACK
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Two of the funniest thing I've read today.

1. You said you have the same brain as one of the nicest most respectful people on here in Jersey. Someone that tries to have a positive outlook about this team and recruits. Which is the complete opposite of you.

2. You just called yourself optimistic? Is bashing Jermaine Harris 24/7 being optimistic?
1. I said we think the same way and post a lot of the same stuff, he says it in a much different way. Jersey calls it how he sees it, and disagrees with plenty of people here. He might be a “nicer” poster, sure whatever.

2. I used to be insanely optimistic about the team. But, ya know, I can watch someone (Harris) play basketball and actually tell he’s not any good, when 99% of others said he was a good player who could contribute when he CLEARLY couldn’t.

But enough posting from you right? Don’t you have more prep school games to stream?
Sorry mods. I know this isn't what you guys want here, so I'll try to ignore 15 moving forward.

For whatever reason, me watching recruits is one of the million things you have a problem with on here. You don't seem to understand that I watch the recruits because I'm obsessed with the team. I thought you would know this since you claim to be a coach, but these prep games are quick.. It's easy to fit in a couple of games in a week. Very... I still work full-time, watch movies/shows/sports, play basketball or tennis, and chess on Sundays, go to the gym, and spend time with family and friends. This idea that I have to block out all these hours to watch a few games and clips isn't true...

The only game I was streaming was our game... But I'll be watching plenty of games and clips of recruits this offseason because we will be in the mix with many players. You'll be seeing update after update. Probably some highlight clips as well. We know you hate those! I may add a couple of full games, and I'm warning you now you may see a few people here saying they are excited about some of the recruits. I know that's tough for you to handle, so I apologize now.

Do you know who else will be watching recruits this off-season? Jersey. I consider him a friend..We talk daily about this team and recruits; Maybe in person, you're a different person. But on here, I promise you, you're nothing like him.
Thanks again Stevey and as you know I appreciate everything you contribute to this board.
Also enjoy talking basketball and discussing recruits with you.

Well now that we can put this season in our rear-view mirror, the fun part will begin.
We don't have to endure anymore loses and can now focus on what this team may look like for 23-24.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I agree, but there needs to be some acountability. Can't just pay a recruit for no performance. Need a contract on performance.
Can't be performance based.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote: 1 year ago

Huh? That doesn't make sense. Why would I sign a contract with a player who doesn't perform?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago In a few short weeks all the negativity will be gone and the glowing predictions for next year will be ever present.
Can’t help myself. But probably. Especially regarding new players. With a condition here, it seems, that with the lists of schools “interested in so and so” and so and so has “heard” from schools, the collective we goes ga ga over players that select us from those meaningless lists. It will happen again. No?
Sure it will 105. Even if it's a 1* player, people will hype him like the next MJ. I stick to mainstream recruit rankings. Outside of that, I think it's wait and see. I'm not a coach, or scout or even watch high school ball. If we get a player to commit and it's on CBS and ESPN, I know we are good. Just me I guess.

I completely agree with your first three sentences.

Majority of fans of every team hypes up each recruit and transfer they get, thinking they just got a program changing player. Just the nature of the beast.

Completely disagree with your second to last sentence.

Just because we get a little blurb on CBS or ESPN because we got a ranked recruit, does not equal on court success whatsoever.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Majority of fans of every team hypes up each recruit and transfer they get, thinking they just got a program changing player. Just the nature of the beast.

Just because we get a little blurb on CBS or ESPN because we got a ranked recruit, does not equal on court success whatsoever.
Well that's not quite what I said. If we have ESPN or CBS or whoever splashing headlines on a recruit we got, I'll believe more than this board that the recruit might turn out.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

On a positive note ANT MADE IT TO 20 PAGES! 🥳🍾🎉🥂💥🎆🏆
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Well that's not quite what I said. If we have ESPN or CBS or whoever splashing headlines on a recruit we got, I'll believe more than this board that the recruit might turn out.
You said “I know we are good.”

Just because we get a little article about a kid, does not mean we’ll be good.
0 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Huh? That doesn't make sense. Why would I sign a contract with a player who doesn't perform?
That would be great, but even if it was allowed and your competition is willing to guarantee the money you are at a disadvantage.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Can someone post Arch post game quotes here please ??
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Aside from a sure-fire one-and-done, recruiting rankings aren't worth the pixels they're printed with.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

1 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

It’s literally the main tenet of the NCAA rule lol. You are allowed to pay someone to use their name and likeness, that’s it
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Uh, that’s what NIL is.

Boosters pay insane amounts to recruits to come to their school, regardless of performance.

Florida agreed to pay a QB like $13 million before ever playing a down. Deal fell thru so he left.

There’s been multiple articles on players getting hurt/benched (mainly in football) but still having big NIL deals that need to get paid.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thanks , love his quotes , I still think Arch wins big @ URI just won’t happen overnight as we saw this year
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago For the people who actually truly thought we could win three games into the semis, was that “fun” actually thinking that? There’s no way right?

So many people live in fantasy land it’s insane.

I thought I was crazy optimistic years ago, but people here are on another level.
Dude...it was totally fun, right up until it wasn't. So, folks who thought "that", had fun for a few days...while everyone else fretted and finger-wagged at the fun bunch. Call it fantasy land if you want, but, the more suck-free days, the better. Sign me up for the "possibly fun right up until it isn't" crew every time.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

We have the right coach. For sure.
When he brings in some freakin kids who can shoot the ball consistently I will be happy. Even during most Hurley years we were desperate for consistent shooting. I really don’t think it is too much to ask to focus on that skill, particularly when that is the way the game is evolving generally!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Here's to hoping we can all look back at this season in a couple years and laugh!
What if we want to get a jump on things and start laughing about it now?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago For the people who actually truly thought we could win three games into the semis, was that “fun” actually thinking that? There’s no way right?

I thought I was crazy optimistic years ago, but people here are on another level.
Dude...it was totally fun, right up until it wasn't. So, folks who thought "that", had fun for a few days...while everyone else fretted and finger-wagged at the fun bunch. Call it fantasy land if you want, but, the more suck-free days, the better. Sign me up for the "possibly fun right up until it isn't" crew every time.
It’s almost like that irrational passion and belief is the very definition of being a sports fan. Someday 15 will get it. Until then we all suffer.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it might be the very best news and actually mean more toward success than anything that's happened the last couple years?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago On a positive note ANT MADE IT TO 20 PAGES! 🥳🍾🎉🥂💥🎆🏆
you did yeoman's work over there 🏆
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Right now our starting 5 for next year are Bilau, Rory, Weston, Ish and Bassy. There are a load of transfer candidates out there who believe that they can beat out for PT one of these guys. My prediction for next year is a winning OOC record against meatball opponents and a losing A10 record unless a Lamar Odom comes calling. Thor's shills on this board will hype every new player and tell us how season tickets are going fast. Of course, season tickers will cost more to cover non-renewals and Thor's pay raise.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Thorr's getting a pay raise? Is that what this is all about? The AD is getting a raise?

This is why we can't have nice things. because God forbid one of the other employees at URI is getting a raise and you aren't.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

It’s almost like that irrational passion and belief is the very definition of being a sports fan. Someday 15 will get it. Until then we all suffer.
It isn’t for Boston sports fans the past 20 years….
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

As for the starting lineup that you listed...

Ish, can have some down games, but otherwise he's a legit A-10 talent. Not just a A-10 talent, but someone who was worthy of a post season award.

Bassy and Rory, can be good role players, but not two people I would want starting for me. If these two guys are starting, we are in trouble.

Weston, I'm sorry, but so far as a player, he has shown flashes of brilliance, but most of the time he doesn't seem like he's concentrating, his head isn't in the game. Like some sort of basketball ADD

Bilau can be a starter or a backup, he has shown he can compete at this level, albeit a bit injury prone. Depending on who they get for the frontcourt, I could easily see Bilau taking a backup role. Can start, out of necessity, but would hope this area would be addressed on the recruiting trail. Hasn't shown he can take the pounding of an entire season.
1 x