A10 Tournament March 7-12 Barclays Bracket and Results

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Tournament March 7-12 Barclays Bracket and Results

Unread post by Rhody15 »

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 961102007/

Archie flat out admitting Leggett isn’t all conference. Ouch. That won’t help his case. Pretty surprised to see him come out and say that.

Also have some Cox type quotes in here as well.

“We’ll give it a go down there”

“…we’ll see how that goes”

“We played good ball a few times”

“We competed very hard against good teams”
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago this team's longest win streak has been 2 games. they'll be lucky to win 1 in brooklyn
We don't have to be lucky to beat La Salle c'mon
1 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 961102007/

Archie flat out admitting Leggett isn’t all conference. Ouch. That won’t help his case. Pretty surprised to see him come out and say that.

I don't know why, but I read that article a little differently than you did. Maybe it's my age and homerism.
5 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago Those are 11 bad teams right there, holy smokes!

Who else is going Tuesday?
Blue man?
ECR?
Ramulous?

Barclay’s is certainly not going to open the upper deck.
We will be there Tuesday!
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

RAM67 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 961102007/

I don't know why, but I read that article a little differently than you did. Maybe it's my age and homerism.
I didn't read it that way either as to Leggett. The other quotes are exactly what a coach that had a losing season would say/ I do not see it as Cox-like specifically, but more of making chicken salad out of chicken @#$!
4 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody 15, Do you thing Ish was all conference?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago

I haven’t looked at any other guards stats, but I don’t think it was that cut and dry where Archie should have said he’s not. Coaches usually try to build up their players postseason accolade chances, instead of the opposite.

Individually, yes I think he had an all conference type season. Ultimately I don’t think he makes it because of the teams record.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I took it to mean he want all Conference preseason but yeah that’s a tough statement. Ish should be third team for sure
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

He might have meant first team. I mean he did say that Ish was most improved in the conference. That’s high praise for a player.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

second team for Ish. Archie’s statement with the tip off against Q, he copped to reality of opening shop with Bassey, Ish, Carey, Martin, and Samb. And a pack of unknowns.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

I haven’t looked at any other guards stats, but I don’t think it was that cut and dry where Archie should have said he’s not. Coaches usually try to build up their players postseason accolade chances, instead of the opposite.

Individually, yes I think he had an all conference type season. Ultimately I don’t think he makes it because of the teams record.
15, I think Ish is a very special player who is unique in his strength, rebounding and his will to win. It is so hard to compare him to other players this year, since we were so weak and he was forced to do more than any other guards in the conference. As good as he was, his shooting percentage was just 40% and three point was 33%. His turnover and assists were exactly the same. Tough to be all conference with those indices. (On the other hand his rebounding at 5.8 and free throw at 84% were top tier)

Like yourself, I have not looked up all the guards in the league, but guessing that Ace Baldwin and Uri Collins will be first team.
Quisenberry, Bishop, Adams and Erik Reynolds from St. Joes, and of course Loyer from Davidson have better scoring stats than Ish.
So that would make 7 guards theoretically ahead of Ish.

In some ways keeping Ish off the spotlight with All Conference honors might help the Portal situation. And of course, if Ish is most improved player that is a plus for Archie and the program in selling recruits and transfers.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Ish is a good player but struggled too often to be all conference.
1 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I didn’t find anything wrong with Arch comments he basically said he was the most improved player in the conference
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

By metrics Ish was the 3rd most improved player (Dominguez and Polite 1 and 2). He was around the 7th or 8th most effective guard in the league. He will likely just miss out on all conf bc of how poorly we performed. Played on the fringe of all league for most of the year. His significant improvement is getting a bit lost in this dreadful season. Retaining him is Archie’s #1 job in roster construction for next year.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Maybe it's already been decided and he knows?
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago Those are 11 bad teams right there, holy smokes!

Who else is going Tuesday?
Blue man?
ECR?
Ramulous?

Barclay’s is certainly not going to open the upper deck.
I'll see you all Saturday
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tuesday Games - All on ESPN+
  • Game 1: 11:30am 12-Richmond NET 168 vs 13 UMASS NET 184 Richmond favored by -1.5 points
  • Game 2: 2:00pm 10 St Joseph's NET 212 vs 15 Loyola NET 268 St Joseph's favored by -2.0 points
  • Game 3: 4:30pm 11 LaSalle NET 241 vs 14 URI NET 252 LaSalle favored by - 1.0 points
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
RAM67 wrote: 1 year ago

I didn't read it that way either as to Leggett. The other quotes are exactly what a coach that had a losing season would say/ I do not see it as Cox-like specifically, but more of making chicken salad out of chicken @#$!
I didn't read it that way either. It didn't remind me of Cox at all..

I thought what he said was spot on. This team has many first-year players, and we were very inexperienced..Some of those first players got better as the season went on. We have played close games but don't know how to win yet. We really battled against the top teams. We needed our upperclassmen to step up.. Ish is one of the most improved players in the league. I agree with all of that.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Tuesday Games - All on ESPN+
  • Game 1: 11:30am 12-Richmond NET 168 vs 13 UMASS NET 184 Richmond favored by -1.5 points
  • Game 2: 2:00pm 10 St Joseph's NET 212 vs 15 Loyola NET 268 St Joseph's favored by -2.0 points
  • Game 3: 4:30pm 11 LaSalle NET 241 vs 14 URI NET 252 LaSalle favored by - 1.0 points
Of the A10 games today, I think we probably have the best chance of having the upset win.
Prior to the season, I thought La Salle would finish last.
Fran Dunphy probably got the most he can out of this squad.

UMass has struggled with all their injury woes and have been without their 2 top players Fernandes and Cross.
Richmond has been disappointing this season but still has one of the best players in the conference in Burton.

I think St. Joe's should be able to handle Loyola.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Spiders up 31-18, 1/2 over UMass
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Of the A10 games today, I think we probably have the best chance of having the upset win.

UMass has struggled with all their injury woes and have been without their 2 top players Fernandes and Cross.
Richmond has been disappointing this season but still has one of the best players in the conference in Burton.

Cross is playing today. He started.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Cross is playing today. He started.
Yep see that, I figured Richmond would win.
Burton already with 28 pts.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it ain’t so Frank Martin and the UMass Minutemen , UMass fans must be up in arms after laying a major egg
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Say it ain’t so Frank Martin and the UMass Minutemen , UMass fans must be up in arms after laying a major egg
They didn’t lay an egg, they were predicted 8th, not a tournament team, and dealt with a myriad of injuries to their best players this season.
0 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Really hard to watch. Martin stopped coaching at the beginning of the 2nd half. Players were visibly defeated and confidence gone.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 1 year ago Say it ain’t so Frank Martin and the UMass Minutemen , UMass fans must be up in arms after laying a major egg
Makes no sense. I was told they were in "win now" mode. Yet, here they are, eliminated as early as possible with no postseason opportunities.

Man, why didn't Arch go and get all these high profile ready to play guys!? We could've finished 13th instead of 14th!!!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

They didn’t lay an egg, they were predicted 8th, not a tournament team, and dealt with a myriad of injuries to their best players this season.
Fernandes loss was HUGE but they absolutely just laid an egg dude. They got absolutely boatraced by an 8-10 team. Ask their fans if they laid an egg or just turn on twitter and see for yourself.
4 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

OMG UMASS...23.8%field and 6.3% 1-16 from 3pt.....
38 points that is really bad!!!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Fernandes loss was HUGE but they absolutely just laid an egg dude. They got absolutely boatraced by an 8-10 team. Ask their fans if they laid an egg or just turn on twitter and see for yourself.
In this game yes they got crushed. I wouldn’t say they laid an egg for the whole season though.
0 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

No one wants a first game exit from the conference tournament to end their whole season, but there is something kind of clean about it finally being over, now that transfer season has become such a thing. You have your end of season meetings with your own guys, decisions are made, roster openings become clear, and you ramp up to get your roster straight for next season. It never ends for coaches!
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

In this game yes they got crushed. I wouldn’t say they laid an egg for the whole season though.
Seemed pretty obvious Reef meant today with that comment. Generally "they laid an egg" is in reference to a single game versus an entire season. In your words cmon man you are better than that. You should spend less time trying to argue with every post and more time reading them.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

This game was the definition of an egg.

As for the season, UMass was officially picked 8th - I saw them as high as 5th in some articles. We were picked 9th, I never saw us anywhere near as high as UMass.

Both teams finished 5 spots lower than picked. Both teams had injuries/player issues. They lost 2 of their best players for a chunk of the season. We lost 3 of ours.

Whatever anyone is saying about URI's performance throughout the regular season should be equally attributed to UMass and vice versa.

The only caveat I give URI is that we clearly targeted young pieces that were going to be here, while UMass went with instantly ready guys. And not for nothing UMass retained a lot more talent than URI did.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No question this was a bad season for UMass and this last game was a disaster. To think otherwise is to be oblivious to what the UMass fan base is saying about their team. Frank Martin in his first season has lots of questions to answer. The question now is whether URI, also under a first year coach, can do better at Barclay's in their first round game. Let's hope so.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago This game was the definition of an egg.

As for the season, UMass was officially picked 8th - I saw them as high as 5th in some articles. We were picked 9th, I never saw us anywhere near as high as UMass.

Both teams finished 5 spots lower than picked. Both teams had injuries/player issues. They lost 2 of their best players for a chunk of the season. We lost 3 of ours.

Whatever anyone is saying about URI's performance throughout the regular season should be equally attributed to UMass and vice versa.

The only caveat I give URI is that we clearly targeted young pieces that were going to be here, while UMass went with instantly ready guys. And not for nothing UMass retained a lot more talent than URI did.
Don't dismiss UMass's young talent as evidenced by our loss to them at the RC.
They also have 5 recruits committed for 23-24.

This off-season will be huge for Archie to prove we can take that big next step forward.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Loyola-St. Joe’s has managed to be a pretty entertaining game… not good exactly, but entertaining.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I was admittedly bullish on Umass and thought they could/should finish top 6ish. Losing Fernandes was massive for them; he was the straw that stirred the drink. Can’t underestimate that.

But they still massively underachieved bc they had experienced mid conference level talent up and down the roster (cross, weeks, leveque, luis, kante, dominguez) that on paper were much more proven than our guys. Them finishing 13th can only be seen as underachieving.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago This could not have worked out better. Avoiding George Mason is break!

Guessing LaSalle we are pick ‘‘em to 1 pt favorite, Duquesne we r 41/2 and Fordham 31/2 underdogs.

More than a hope and prayer!!
Not a chance in hell we’ll be favored against La Salle.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thursday Quarterfinals

11:30am Davidson vs VCU
2:00pm George Mason vs St Louis
5:00pm Dayton vs St Joseph's
7:30pm Fordham vs LaSalle
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

George Mason was down 55-51 with just over 2 minutes left. Closed out the game with an 11-2 run to win 62-57. The Patriots record is now 20-12. Their NET was #132 prior to the game. Their numbers are not at large worthy for either the NCAA or NIT.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I figured Davidson would beat St Bonnie’s , I thought Richmond would have a great shot v Mason fell a little short
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thursday Quarterfinals
  • 11:30am 8-Davidson vs 1-VCU -6.5 points
  • 2:00pm 5-George Mason vs 4-St Louis -4 points
  • 5:00pm 10-St Joseph's vs 2-Dayton -10.5 points
  • 7:30pm 11-LaSalle vs 3-Fordham -5 points
St Joseph's and LaSalle will be playing their 3rd consecutive game today

Davidson and Fordham with 1st year Head Coaches

All 4 Games on USA Network
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Been here since Tuesday. Passing on the earlier games to head to MSG to cheer on UConn. Hopefully they put a smack down on our northern neighbors.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1st game today with Spookydog ranking format

Rankings VCU (Davidson):
NCAA NET: 66 (145)
RPI: 31 (135)
KenPom: 76 (134)
BPI: 63 (149)
Sagarin: 56 (105)
Barttovik: 71 (125)
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Been here since Tuesday. Passing on the earlier games to head to MSG to cheer on UConn. Hopefully they put a smack down on our northern neighbors.
Go Huskies.

With a loss, wouldn't shock me if PC falls to the First Four.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago 1st game today with Spookydog ranking format

Rankings VCU (Davidson):
NCAA NET: 66 (145)
RPI: 31 (135)
KenPom: 76 (134)
BPI: 63 (149)
Sagarin: 56 (105)
Barttovik: 71 (125)
VCU takes care of business 71-53
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Just curious if anyone knows (sorry if already posted) why there's a day off in the quarterfinals. Is it simply due to the extra day for the bottom 6 teams to play, so the tourney is now 5 days instead of 4? And why between the quarters and semis? Having Friday off seems odd. Might be better to do the off day before the quarters. Just thinking out loud. When I first saw it, I assumed there was a scheduling conflict with the Barclay's Center, but there's no event listed tomorrow.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Did I really just put money on Fordham. Gotta be a first
1 x
Clapton is God
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Been here since Tuesday. Passing on the earlier games to head to MSG to cheer on UConn. Hopefully they put a smack down on our northern neighbors.
Go Huskies.

Oh Man are they getting #%^*+ slapped!
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Go Huskies.

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
Go Huskies.

I'll preface this with I haven't been following college basketball as a whole this year and don't know the NET numbers (as skewed as they are) and the q1 ,2, etc games. Does this blowout put them on the wrong side of the bubble?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”