A10 WBB Tournament Chase Fieldhouse Wilmington March 1-5

Discuss everything related to the women's team.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 WBB Tournament Chase Fieldhouse Wilmington March 1-5

Unread post by reef »

What happened??
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

How I'm the hell is that not flagrant!? Like what!?
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Martinez with another huge play as she steals the inbound
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We pull it out ??
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Brutal
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Martinez with another huge play as she steals the inbound
Wow what a ridiculous turnover
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

SHIT SHIT SHIT
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Who fucked up the inbound?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Damn man
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Horrible loss
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Dam that is about as heart breaking as it gets. Tough way to end the season. Regroup women definitely should be getting a call for more postseason basketball Most likely NIT
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Who threw that terrible inbounds pass?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh well.

Toure 3-12
Phillips 0-7 all from 3pt land
Debroise 12 mins and 0 to show for it, didn't even hit FTs

It was nearly another St. Joes game, but the rest of the team could not overcome that.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

That foul not being upgraded to a flagrant was ridiculous. The announcers say clearly will be upgraded no question then back pedal and say the refs do not want to decide the game. That should have been a flagrant foul end of story. Compete BS. Sucks that they battled back after an atrocious first half and had a chance to win that game. But come on man you have to get the ball in bounds. I can't tell you how many times I see out of bounds plays when the inbounder holds on to the ball way too long. This was another prime example. There was a player that was wide open when that play first began that was not thrown the ball for some reason. I see this all the time, like the play is designed for somebody else. You have plenty of time to get it to that person just get it inbounds first. It was a good look at the end just did not drop. Feel bad for the ladies to have it end like that. You had a great season and it is not over yet as the NIT should be calling.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I'm not a regular viewer of the team but am really surprised how many fouls are let go by the officials.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dutat 6 pts, 13 rebounds, 5 steals, 1 TO

Very solid piece of the puzzle that emerged at the end of the season.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago How I'm the hell is that not flagrant!? Like what!?
Would love to hear an explainer from the officials on that one.

Not why URI lost, though. Dug themselves a hell of a hole in the first half. They continue to struggle out of the gate in big games.
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Back in the day, an swinging elbow to someone's face was a sure flagrant foul.

Same player nearly did it again on the very last play of the game.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Who threw that terrible inbounds pass?
I couldn't tell

But that SLU girl literally threw both of her elbows into our girls face and somehow that's not a flagrant. Unreal.

It was actually amazing how we didn't complete that comeback. Tammi has to figure out how to get them to win big games next year. They need a win like Dan's teams had over Cincinnati and that regular season win over VCU that year. They just don't know how to win that type of game to get to the next level yet.

Hope they can go on a run in the WNIT.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago How I'm the hell is that not flagrant!? Like what!?
Would love to hear an explainer from the officials on that one.

Not why URI lost, though. Dug themselves a hell of a hole in the first half. They continue to struggle out of the gate in big games.
Shooting 27% usually doesn't translate into a win.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Why does this team start off so badly in almost every big game? Nerves??
0 x
Bri234u
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Bri234u »

That was an absolute BS call. Clear elbow to the face. Should have been 2 shots for us AND the ball. I am proud of the ladies but they got screwed..
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Even with the much better second half, that was Rhody's second-worst shooting game over the past three seasons.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ref doesn't have the balls to call a flagrant foul. Sophie would have been at the line for 2 shots and we get the ball. We would have won. Ref was a coward.
3 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Looked like when he was explaining to Tammi he said she didn’t extend her elbows which would have upgraded it to flagrant. I disagree
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Who threw that terrible inbounds pass?
I couldn't tell

But that SLU girl literally threw both of her elbows into our girls face and somehow that's not a flagrant. Unreal.

It was actually amazing how we didn't complete that comeback. Tammi has to figure out how to get them to win big games next year. They need a win like Dan's teams had over Cincinnati and that regular season win over VCU that year. They just don't know how to win that type of game to get to the next level yet.

Hope they can go on a run in the WNIT.
Agreed. They need that signature win to advance to the next level.

I hope they buckle up and go on a run in the NIT, too, PRT.

It’s been a very good season. The ladies took another step forward winning the most games and sharing a reg season championship. The team and you all here got me into following along closer than I ever have before.

Onward and upward!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ouch. Really wanted to dance this year!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What a year. They played great, won the regular season. But that was a dissapointing end. Tammi needs to schedule for At Large bids going forward. NCAA or BUST!!!!!!!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Go and win the WNIT, then dance next year.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

It's been one helluva ride for 2 years now. And it's going to keep getting better. We have talented veterans, real strong recruits coming and I'm sure Tammi will find some terrific transfers. We'll dance in 2024!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Great overall season but another disappointing end in the A-10 Tournament. Most likely a second back to back NIT appearance. Tammi needs to find a way to get the program to the next level and avoid losing to lesser opponents in the A-10 Tournament.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Louis defeats UMASS for the championship in OT 91-85

Kyla McMakin hit 2 FTs with 7 seconds left in regulation to put SLU up 76-73
Sydney Taylor hit a 3P with 2 seconds left to tie the game and send it to OT

SLU 141 NET 137, UMASS NET 56

UMASS was favored by 11 points today
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, does UMass get in now?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't feel bad for UMass, after they laughed hysterically at our team on the bench at the Ryan.

The top 3 seeds in this tournament were very evenly matched, but #3 just wanted it more. We had a great half against them to come back from a 20 pt deficit, but no shows by Toure and Phillips proved the difference. I'm sure they realize it, and they'll have the opportunity to make up for it in the future.

St. Louis earned this Championship, going through #6 St Joes, #2 URI, and #1 UMass. Martinez is a beast.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

@studurando
4h
Let this sink in: The SLU women trailed D-II Maryville 24-1 after 9 minutes in an exhibition game on Nov. 3. That was the Billikens’ debut under coach Rebecca Tillett. In 4 months, Tillett turned SLU into the best team in the A-10.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago @studurando
4h
Let this sink in: The SLU women trailed D-II Maryville 24-1 after 9 minutes in an exhibition game on Nov. 3. That was the Billikens’ debut under coach Rebecca Tillett. In 4 months, Tillett turned SLU into the best team in the A-10.
This is Coach Tillett's first year at St. Louis. Not too shabby a debut.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago ..... but no shows by Toure and Phillips proved the difference.
It's rather harsh to put the failure on a non-starter such as Phillips. I thought Cairns, a starter and captain. really faded at the end of the season as a shooter although her floor game was excellent. But, the biggest problem was Lassiter. She made some shots but she shot far too much including many times when she would dribble up the court and keep dribbling until she took a shot. Lassister didn't move the ball and had far too many TOs for my eye (I didn't check the box score, but watched the entire game). Shooters get open when the ball is moving. Poor point guard play was our downfall. I thought Squires absence hurt Toure's play against this opponent.

As for the failure to upgrade the foul at the end, the refs will look for any reason not to upgrade a call that would give one team the win, especially in a tournament. Let the opponents determine the outcome, not the refs. I get the call.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago As for the failure to upgrade the foul at the end, the refs will look for any reason not to upgrade a call that would give one team the win, especially in a tournament. Let the opponents determine the outcome, not the refs. I get the call.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I hate this line of thinking. If the refs don't call the action how it happened then they're determining the outcome just as sure as if they made the call, just they did it the wrong way instead of the right way
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's not harsh when you are a three point shooter and you make 7 three point attempts and miss all of them.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago As for the failure to upgrade the foul at the end, the refs will look for any reason not to upgrade a call that would give one team the win, especially in a tournament. Let the opponents determine the outcome, not the refs. I get the call.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I hate this line of thinking. If the refs don't call the action how it happened then they're determining the outcome just as sure as if they made the call, just they did it the wrong way instead of the right way
How would you feel if URI had committed the foul? If it had occurred earlier in the game I think it would have been upgraded. On the other hand the elbow was kept close to her body even though she swung her body with an upward projection of her elbow. The elbow was not extended.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago It's not harsh when you are a three point shooter and you make 7 three point attempts and miss all of them.
Fair point. Any comment about our PG play?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
How would you feel if URI had committed the foul? If it had occurred earlier in the game I think it would have been upgraded. On the other hand the elbow was kept close to her body even though she swung her body with an upward projection of her elbow. The elbow was not extended.
I want the refs to call the action how it happens whether it's the first minute or the last. That's the biggest problem with referees, they try to make themselves part of the game and they have 0 consistency
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I want the refs to call the action how it happens whether it's the first minute or the last. That's the biggest problem with referees, they try to make themselves part of the game and they have 0 consistency
The refs here would agree with you and say that is exactly what they did.

There are many instances every game where a foul could be called but was decided against. On another day they might see a similar infraction differently. Sometimes a league will ask that certain fouls should be called as a point of emphasis. As a URI fan, I saw it differently. It was a borderline decision whether to upgrade the foul. I accept that in these situation you don't upgrade.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago ..... but no shows by Toure and Phillips proved the difference.
It's rather harsh to put the failure on a non-starter such as Phillips. I thought Cairns, a starter and captain. really faded at the end of the season as a shooter although her floor game was excellent. But, the biggest problem was Lassiter. She made some shots but she shot far too much including many times when she would dribble up the court and keep dribbling until she took a shot. Lassister didn't move the ball and had far too many TOs for my eye (I didn't check the box score, but watched the entire game). Shooters get open when the ball is moving. Poor point guard play was our downfall. I thought Squires absence hurt Toure's play against this opponent.

As for the failure to upgrade the foul at the end, the refs will look for any reason not to upgrade a call that would give one team the win, especially in a tournament. Let the opponents determine the outcome, not the refs. I get the call.
Agree on PG play being our downfall.
Lassiter dribbled far too much, did not involve teammates and finished with Zero assists, 4 turnovers in 28 min. 4-14 FG, 2-5 3FG, 6r, 3 steals, 14p.
Compare to St Louis PG Julia Martinez. 36min, 15p, 9r, 8a just missing a triple-double. 5-8 FG, 5-5 FT, 5 TO, 3 steals
Vs UMASS in Championship Game Martinez got the triple double. 44 min, 12p, 13r, 12a. Only 1 TO in 44 minutes

Biggest difference in performance was at the PG position

Dolly Cairns played well with 4-9 FG, 3-7 3P - team hi, 3 assists - team hi, Zero TO. Tammi only played Cairns 12 minutes. 1st 3 minutes of each Quarter. Then Tammi brought in Phillips for the last 7 minutes of each quarter. Phillips went 0-7 FG. 0 points, 2r, 1a, 2 TO, 2 blocks. Phillips played 28 minutes more than double Dolly's minutes

Toure 28 min, 9p, 9r, 3 blocks, 2a and only 1TO. Not bad playing against Flowers Defensive POY. 1 TO Vs Flowers about all a coach could ask for.

Dutat, only a freshman, team hi 38 min, 3-4 FG, 6p, 13r, 1 TO, 1 block, career hi 5 steals. Previous best was 3 steals. Dutat had half of the teams 10 steals.

Lassiter needed to dribble less, pass more. Cairns needed to play more, Phillips needed to play less.

Opportunities to get to the Championship game don't come along very often. This game was very there for the taking but we didn't take it.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

maybe by looking at a score card, the PG position was the weakest, I'll give you that.

But for nearly the entire first half, our star, 1st Team A-10 player was another O-for. That didn't pass the eyeball test. It did pass the clawing your eyes out of your face test, however.

Don't forget, that was a tale of two halves. URI built a 20 point deficit in the first half, only to nearly come back in the second. We lost that game in the first half, that's where Toure did the opposite of shining.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And Phillips was 0-for-7 the entire game, all three point attempts, 0.000 percent avg.

So, yeah, she needs to do better going forward. That was a fluke game for her, I'm sure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Didn't need the scorecard. Watching the game I was very frustrated watching Lassiter dribble so much from the 1st quarter on. . The gap between our PG and their PG was huge. Tammi should have recognized it and gotten more players involved.

When our PG gets zero assists and their PG gets 8 assists that's a pretty big discrepancy.

Cairns was on top of her game, that was clear, yet Tammi stated with the same 3 minutes Dolly, 7 minutes for Sophie every quarter. Dolly needed far more than only 12 total minutes thus game. She was on, several others were off.

Was not Tammi's best coaching performance.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Could be some coaches getting poached in the A-10.

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramster, I think there is a balance there. And I am hardly a Lassiter apologist, but for the sake of argument, a lot of that was on her, but some of that was just Martinez and their defense and the fact that she is just a beast at this level. They did pretty much the same thing to the UMass guards the very next day
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And yes, Tammi herself has had a couple of stinkers. But the second half was brilliant and if they had pulled it out we might have forgotten about the first half.
2 x