URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?

Unread post by reef »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago
Mattrams94 wrote: 1 year ago News is that URI is likely to get Dre Davis. Junior guard at seton hall has two years of eligibility left. 6'6" guard Averages 10 ppg and 3 rebounds and shooting splits are 49/36/85.

Scorched PC today
Maybe Matt is in the know ??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Backroads wrote: 1 year ago
Mattrams94 wrote: 1 year ago News is that URI is likely to get Dre Davis. Junior guard at seton hall has two years of eligibility left. 6'6" guard Averages 10 ppg and 3 rebounds and shooting splits are 49/36/85.

Scorched PC today
Maybe Matt is in the know ??
Not
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I can’t see why someone wouldn’t want to play for Shaheen.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t understand the Dre Davis talk. He was signed by Shaheen, never played with Weston or for Woodward, and is playing ok in the Big East. Seton Hall is having a decent season, and the future looks good for Sha and company. It’s true that Seton Hall is behind on the NIL stuff and I guess anything could happen, but wouldn’t a transfer to URI seem surprising given all that?

ETA: the dates for everything, since there was speculation about Woodward recruiting him before not being kept by Shaheen- Woodward was linked to URI by 3/31, Davis signed with SHU at the end of April
Last edited by ace 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Is "recruiting possible transfers" even allowed never mind "being in full swing?"
How does this help URI (or hurt URI) to have this info made public?
Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?
With the season still not even to Conference Tournament time yet

I'd be highly doubtful that Miller would want any of his recruiting info made public at this time
Ramster, I think it is a huge mistake to start throwing these names out there, while the season is still going, and they aren't currently in the portal.
Ah, so...this is NOT a place for wild, rampant, unchecked speculation. Got it.
Jersey77 is not a fan of speculation lol
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Regarding the returnees… I think you try to keep the freshman - Hutch, Rory, Weston and Foumena. Recruit Ish like he’s the chosen one, then get some solid transfers. I like Alex, so I’d try him out for another year. Also, is anyone positive Bilau is coming back? Heard he was in his mid-20s. Curious what his plan is.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago I don’t understand the Dre Davis talk. He was signed by Shaheen, never played with Weston or for Woodward, and is playing ok in the Big East. Seton Hall is having a decent season, and the future looks good for Sha and company. It’s true that Seton Hall is behind on the NIL stuff and I guess anything could happen, but wouldn’t a transfer to URI seem surprising given all that?
Wouldn't he have to sit a year as well? Would be his 3rd time transferring.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago I don’t understand the Dre Davis talk. He was signed by Shaheen, never played with Weston or for Woodward, and is playing ok in the Big East. Seton Hall is having a decent season, and the future looks good for Sha and company. It’s true that Seton Hall is behind on the NIL stuff and I guess anything could happen, but wouldn’t a transfer to URI seem surprising given all that?
Wouldn't he have to sit a year as well? Would be his 3rd time transferring.
He probably would unless the NCAA isn't actually serious about limiting waivers.

I would not be a fan of getting a transfer, in this current age of the transfer portal that would have to sit out a year. That would feel pretty stupid to me and we'd probably have to sit and pine away at whether or not he gets eligible and nothing is more annoying than that bs.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I can’t see why someone wouldn’t want to play for Shaheen.
He and his guys went through some growing pains early with each other, but it seems they’re all settling in nicely. His teams play tough defense, and I expect the offense to evolve in the next few seasons. I love Sha and not only because he reminds me a lot of that other Big East coach. I was mad we only got one direct head to head match-up this season.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Ramster, I think it is a huge mistake to start throwing these names out there, while the season is still going, and they aren't currently in the portal.
Ah, so...this is NOT a place for wild, rampant, unchecked speculation. Got it.
Jersey77 is not a fan of speculation lol
:D Only when it makes sense to me.

Although the last couple of years in the off-season I did throw out a lot of names in the portal that may be of interest to us.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago our whole roster can enter the portal for all I care.
doubling down.

If I was Arch, I would encourage the whole roster to explore their own options. No one, no one, on this current roster has a guaranteed spot next season.
Tripling down
0 x
:lol:
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

My player rankings this season:

1. Ish
2.Malik
3.Jalen Carey
4.Sebastian Thomas
5.Brandon Weston
6.Alex Tchikou
7.Rory Stewart
8.Abdou Samb
9.Louis Hutchinson

Get a Big, Wing and a true point and I think we can do some damage next year..
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago our whole roster can enter the portal for all I care.
doubling down.

If I was Arch, I would encourage the whole roster to explore their own options. No one, no one, on this current roster has a guaranteed spot next season.
Tripling down
Not wanting Ish to come back after the season he had may be the craziest thing I’ve read on here. That’s absolutely ridiculous…
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

DevRam wrote: 1 year ago My player rankings this season:

1. Ish
2.Malik
3.Jalen Carey
4.Sebastian Thomas
5.Brandon Weston
6.Alex Tchikou
7.Rory Stewart
8.Abdou Samb
9.Louis Hutchinson

Get a Big, Wing and a true point and I think we can do some damage next year..
Go get 3/5 of a team to play for a team that sucked this year - Got It!
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I would keep:

Ishmael Leggett
Rory Stewart
Jeremy Foumena
Louis Hutchinson
Josaphat Bilau

On the fence:

Sebastian Thomas
Brandon Weston
Alex Tchikou

Let go:

Malik
Carey
Samb

Depending on how good the recruiting trail prospects are, that might put it over the top to make the decision to part ways with Alex and/or Weston. Unless you get a very experienced guard, either grad student or transfer, you might have to keep Bassy for insurance.

We do have two very good frosh backcourt players coming in, who should gradually get playing time. If you can pair Ish with a good transfer with proven experience, who is also going to be eligible, it could pave the way for getting rid of Bassy.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'll add, if the recruiting trail is on fire with a lot of good prospects, I would almost expect an early statement by Archie of who is going. Recruits need to know exactly what they are dealing with: who the returning players are going to be, how they are projected to fit into the picture, how much playing time they can anticipate, etc.

Archie inherited a mess, which is what all coaches do. They inherit someone else's problems. So, still in the early days, even if he were to let two players that he recruited go, like Weston or Tchikou or even Hutch, there will be grumblings of "failures" on his part, because those were players he signed, not holdovers. But, if you were going to do that, now would be the time to do it.

Just like Bill Parcells once said: if they want you to cook the meal, they ought to let you buy the groceries.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I would keep:

Ishmael Leggett
Rory Stewart
Jeremy Foumena
Louis Hutchinson
Josaphat Bilau

On the fence:

Sebastian Thomas
Brandon Weston
Alex Tchikou

Let go:

Malik
Carey
Samb

Depending on how good the recruiting trail prospects are, that might put it over the top to make the decision to part ways with Alex and/or Weston. Unless you get a very experienced guard, either grad student or transfer, you might have to keep Bassy for insurance.

We do have two very good frosh backcourt players coming in, who should gradually get playing time. If you can pair Ish with a good transfer with proven experience, who is also going to be eligible, it could pave the way for getting rid of Bassy.
I would switch Weston in and Rory and Hutchinson out. Move Alexand Hutchinson to let go. Rory would be on the fence. No doubt that Thomas will be kept because Archie likes him. He isn’t very talented and is more of a backup, but he will be here.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I could see that.

I think we both agree: This is a last place team in the A-10 (for all practical purposes). Wholesale changes need to be made, else it's going to be a last place team again, next year.

I'm not sold on Weston, but I could see, with a LOT of effort and determination, and work, he could one day reach his potential.

Hutch I don't think has that kind of ceiling, he's a very smart player, great worker, great student, great attitude. So, we'll see what happens.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

doubling down.

Tripling down
Not wanting Ish to come back after the season he had may be the craziest thing I’ve read on here. That’s absolutely ridiculous…
i didn't say that.

what i said was I would encourage the roster to explore their options and no spot is guaranteed. it's quoted right there for you.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Tripling down
i didn't say that.

what i said was I would encourage the roster to explore their options and no spot is guaranteed. it's quoted right there for you.
However you want to word it you’re suggesting that Archie should tell Ish he can’t guarantee his spot and he should consider transferring… His best player… If Ish wants to come back Archie is bringing him back and he’s likely already pushing for him to stay… His spot is secure.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

i didn't say that.

However you want to word it you’re suggesting that Archie should tell Ish he can’t guarantee his spot and he should consider transferring… His best player… If Ish wants to come back Archie is bringing him back and he’s likely already pushing for him to stay… His spot is secure.
I'm sure archie would love to have Ish back. I'm in the camp of "why would Ish want to"...
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

i didn't say that.

let's try it this way. If I'm Arch, I'm recruiting all positions. I'm not not recruiting a player because I have I another player at that spot. if Arch has 3of his own 'Ishes' coming in that are all younger, bigger, faster, stronger, more polished, I'd let Ish make his own decision. maybe he stays, maybe he doesn't.

I didn't say force him out or cut him but if I'm Arch I'm getting my first REAL recruiting class of MY GUYS, not DC leftovers. don't confuse it, he's a nice player but i'm not building a program around him. I can definitely find a place for him should he decide to stick it out.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You want / need some continuity and program guys. You also need guys that can put the ball on the floor and make their own shots. Ish can be both of those. There is zero doubt Archie wants Ish to stay…but I would be shocked if Ish doesn’t explore all options.

I want him to stay but won’t be shocked by anything.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago You want / need some continuity and program guys. You also need guys that can put the ball on the floor and make their own shots. Ish can be both of those. There is zero doubt Archie wants Ish to stay…but I would be shocked if Ish doesn’t explore all options.

Yep, my thought also.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If Maryland or Georgetown come calling Leggett might be tough to retain. IMO he is a strong player for any offense that can create driving lanes and open mid range shots. He’s solid and we will be fortunate if he stays.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago

i didn't say that.

I'm sure archie would love to have Ish back. I'm in the camp of "why would Ish want to"...
Name a place he could/would go to that would be a big upgrade
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Look back on Ish's recruitment. Identify where relationships could exist. Connect dots.
Double figure scorers will have options in this environment.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And that's what sucks. Any time we recruit a high school kid who ends up being good, there's a pretty good chance he's going to leave. Ish is the latest example. If Foumena comes in next season and is REALLY good, there's a pretty good chance he'll leave. The likelihood of recruiting a high school kid who ends up being really good and staying here for 4 years is now very low. I hate it.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I think the NCAA will be forced to create some sort of contractual "no transfer clause" where student-athletes actually have to commit to a school because this is quickly getting out of hand. I don't think Ish is going anywhere. I see him as a dedicated player.
1 x
GO RAMS
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago You want / need some continuity and program guys. You also need guys that can put the ball on the floor and make their own shots. Ish can be both of those. There is zero doubt Archie wants Ish to stay…but I would be shocked if Ish doesn’t explore all options.

I agree wholeheartedly. He may be exploring options. His family has stated that he can't continue to carry this team on his back. He may want a team that surrounds him with other good players. Not sure where that is, and not sure whether not making 3rd team in a crappy A10 hurts his prospects at all.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I think the NCAA will be forced to create some sort of contractual "no transfer clause" where student-athletes actually have to commit to a school because this is quickly getting out of hand. I don't think Ish is going anywhere. I see him as a dedicated player.
Hahahaha a no transfer clause? You serious?

The NCAA just passed the one time free transfer rule, and now you want them to say “eh just kidding, no transferring allowed now.”

Come on man.
4 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I think the NCAA will be forced to create some sort of contractual "no transfer clause" where student-athletes actually have to commit to a school because this is quickly getting out of hand. I don't think Ish is going anywhere. I see him as a dedicated player.

The NCAA just passed the one time free transfer rule, and now you want them to say “eh just kidding, no transferring allowed now.”

Come on man.
If we're afraid every freshman coming in the door will transfer, that's insanity is it not? lol Why consider anything a "commitment"?
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

Come on man.
If we're afraid every freshman coming in the door will transfer, that's insanity is it not? lol Why consider anything a "commitment"?
People so out of touch with college basketball reality is why I post like I do sometimes.

You’re actually serious when you said the NCAA should institute a no transfer clause, when 1. Kids have been transferring since the beginning of time and 2. They literally just passed a one time free transfer rule.

Kids commit to coaches, as they should.

They do not commit to a school.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago And that's what sucks. Any time we recruit a high school kid who ends up being good, there's a pretty good chance he's going to leave. Ish is the latest example. If Foumena comes in next season and is REALLY good, there's a pretty good chance he'll leave. The likelihood of recruiting a high school kid who ends up being really good and staying here for 4 years is now very low. I hate it.
Disagree with this. Great coaches will be able to retain good players. It will be tougher but the good ones will do it most of the time.

The relationship with the kid will still matter. Can you get them to their highest potential/next level (pros), can they win & play on a bigger stage with you and lastly the NIL factor. Right now the 'winning' part is a tough sell. For now.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago And that's what sucks. Any time we recruit a high school kid who ends up being good, there's a pretty good chance he's going to leave. Ish is the latest example. If Foumena comes in next season and is REALLY good, there's a pretty good chance he'll leave. The likelihood of recruiting a high school kid who ends up being really good and staying here for 4 years is now very low. I hate it.
It's really not low if you can build a winning program. If you're going to be on a losing program why stay when you can move up? The key is building a winning program players want to be a part of
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

A. How can you enforce it?
B. Why would we stop athletes from transferring when we don't stop regular students?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I think the easiest way to think about this is "what are our goals" and "who will get us there?"

For example, if the goal is to be an NCAA team next year, you need to find 4 other starters to pair with Ish. We simply don't have a roster capable of making a run, even in this depleted and terrible conference...as we've seen.

If the goal is to be an NCAA team in 2 years (hoping Ish stays for a full 5), then I think this is a lineup you could work with

1) starter: ___________________, backup: Sebastian Thomas, 3rd option: Cam Estevez
2) starter: Ish Leggett, backup: Connor Dubsky, 3rd option: _________________
3) starter: Brandon Weston, backup: Lou Hutchinson, 3rd option: _________________
4) starter: Rory Stewart, backup: Alex Tchikou, 3rd option: ________________
5) starter: ________________, backup: Jeremy Foumena, 3rd option: _____________

As far I'm concerned, we desperately need a starting PG and starting big.

Bassy wants to be here, Archie looks to value him, and even though I don't believe he's an A10 player - I'm not Archie and the kid at least sacked up and tried to grind out the rest of the year. But if he's anything more than a 10-15mpg backup, we're screwed.

I think Weston is going to have an explosive 2nd year. I think he'll start and I think he'll develop into something special over the next 12 months.

Rory came on strong as of late. It'll be nice if we have more firepower in the offense and you can use him to stretch the defense to the 3 point line. That'll open up more for Ish.

Alex showed flashes, but it's clear he's not a 5. He's a 4. Him and Rory could be very dangerous in a 20/20 or 24/16 type split at this position going forward.

That leaves us with the 5. Samb can't play at this level, that much we know and I'd expect him to go elsewhere.

Foumena is by all accounts going to be great, but we all know freshman take a while, and freshman bigs are longer. This is where we need a starter.

Based on his injury history I don't think we'll see Bilau again as much as that sucks.

Let's hope we land a juco big and a transfer PG. That plus some offseason growth and maturity from Weston/Hutch/Rory/Alex and I think we'll have a lot of fun next year.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
It's really not low if you can build a winning program. If you're going to be on a losing program why stay when you can move up? The key is building a winning program players want to be a part of
How do you build a winning program that players want to stay in if they don’t stay long enough to help the program win? Not saying that is Ish…just thinking out loud. Chicken or the egg
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The 5 spot is overvalued on this board. How many offensively dominant true 5 men have we had? Ever? Not many. We need rebounding, defense and dunking from the 5. A Bonzie Colson type is just fine for an A10 team. Bilau had the ability to be that type but not sure what he will be post injury. No opinion on Foumena yet.

IMO we moreso need/are looking for a productive 4 man. A 6'8ish guy who can play inside and out. Score and rebound. We are already attached to 3-4 Jucos/Grad transfers that fit that profile. I assume that's a priority, along with PG and some scoring wings.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago
How do you build a winning program that players want to stay in if they don’t stay long enough to help the program win? Not saying that is Ish…just thinking out loud.
You need to get the right transfers in here this offseason, that would be a good start. Then continue to bring in the right transfers to fill the holes from your recruiting. I mean, it's not really hard.

Think about what Fordham and Duquesne did, hell Duquesne went from 1-16 to 10-8 from last year to this year. If we bring in the right players this offseason, with this coach, our facilities, other resources, and fanbase there's no reason we can't do better than those schools and do it a sustainable way
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ish deserves an NCAA tournament experience. If Archie can prove to him that he will bring in the horses to build around him, I think he'll stay. He's the top dog here, and our entire offense is designed to make Ish succeed which he did with barely any help. Imagine if he gets help... He goes to a high major and he's just another piece. Being the main piece on an NCAA tournament team is what I think Ish wants to do. But man we are so far away from that..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I think the easiest way to think about this is "what are our goals" and "who will get us there?"

For example, if the goal is to be an NCAA team next year, you need to find 4 other starters to pair with Ish. We simply don't have a roster capable of making a run, even in this depleted and terrible conference...as we've seen.

If the goal is to be an NCAA team in 2 years (hoping Ish stays for a full 5), then I think this is a lineup you could work with

1) starter: ___________________, backup: Sebastian Thomas, 3rd option: Cam Estevez
3) starter: Brandon Weston, backup: Lou Hutchinson, 3rd option: _________________

Bassy wants to be here, Archie looks to value him, and even though I don't believe he's an A10 player - I'm not Archie and the kid at least sacked up and tried to grind out the rest of the year. But if he's anything more than a 10-15mpg backup, we're screwed.

I think Weston is going to have an explosive 2nd year. I think he'll start and I think he'll develop into something special over the next 12 months.

Rory came on strong as of late. It'll be nice if we have more firepower in the offense and you can use him to stretch the defense to the 3 point line. That'll open up more for Ish.

Alex showed flashes, but it's clear he's not a 5. He's a 4. Him and Rory could be very dangerous in a 20/20 or 24/16 type split at this position going forward.

That leaves us with the 5. Samb can't play at this level, that much we know and I'd expect him to go elsewhere.

Foumena is by all accounts going to be great, but we all know freshman take a while, and freshman bigs are longer. This is where we need a starter.

Based on his injury history I don't think we'll see Bilau again as much as that sucks.

Let's hope we land a juco big and a transfer PG. That plus some offseason growth and maturity from Weston/Hutch/Rory/Alex and I think we'll have a lot of fun next year.
Spot on as always.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

How do you build a winning program that players want to stay in if they don’t stay long enough to help the program win? Not saying that is Ish…just thinking out loud.
You need to get the right transfers in here this offseason, that would be a good start. Then continue to bring in the right transfers to fill the holes from your recruiting. I mean , it's not really hard.

Think about what Fordham and Duquesne did, hell Duquesne went from 1-16 to 10-8 from last year to this year. If we bring in the right players this offseason, with this coach, our facilities, other resources, and fanbase there's no reason we can't do better than those schools and do it a sustainable way
Basically this time Archie has to get it right in the portal, not like last year.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

Come on man.
People so out of touch with college basketball reality is why I post like I do sometimes.

You’re actually serious when you said the NCAA should institute a no transfer clause, when 1. Kids have been transferring since the beginning of time and 2. They literally just passed a one time free transfer rule.

Kids commit to coaches, as they should.

They do not commit to a school.
Fair enough. To be honest, I was unaware of the new transfer rule. Just did my HW. Thanks!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/ ... sfer-rules
1 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You need to get the right transfers in here this offseason, that would be a good start. Then continue to bring in the right transfers to fill the holes from your recruiting. I mean , it's not really hard.

Basically this time Archie has to get it right in the portal, not like last year.
I don't even necessarily think he didn't get it right, at least philosophically, though the results weren't there. He was coming in to a situation where we weren't going to be a tournament contender in 2022-23 and only Abdou Samb, Sebastian Thomas, and Ishmael Leggett were players he had that would be on the 2023-24 roster. He needed to build a core of young players that he could supplement around as time went on. Unfortunately 2 core members (Harris and Freeman) aren't part of this any longer, and most of the other younger players didn't show the promise and/or improvement we hoped. It's incredibly difficult to build pretty much an entire team all at once at any level, even worse at the A10 level.

Now, for better or worse, he probably knows A. who's staying and B. the true needs of the team. I expect we'll see improvement in short order
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I think the easiest way to think about this is "what are our goals" and "who will get us there?"

I agree for the most part Blue Man, but aside from a seasoned PG and big, we need to find some confident dependable shooters, hopefully with a high basketball IQ.
That is something our teams have been lacking for quite a while.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We also need leaders. Maybe Malik wasn't the most talented player, but he was a leader. If Ish leaves, who would that be? It would be very hard for a transfer or frosh to come in and be a leader right away.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'm not sure why we are so certain Bilau won't play here again. Do we think Archie will tell him to hit the road because he's been injured the whole time he's here?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

#NotADoctor, but I'm hopeful that Bilau can be back by second semester next season. Whether he's effective or not is TBD... ACLs are tough.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We have no rebounders. Get some people who like to grab boards. None of our big men are rebounders.
1 x