3/1 | Loyola Chicago | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 3/1 | Loyola Chicago | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Suggesting a good free throw shooter miss intentionally up 3 vs a attempt to go up 4 points is one of the worst takes I’ve seen on this forum.

C’mon now…
Suggesting a bad free throw shooter miss intentionally up 3 is also a bad take. Up 3 try to make it to go up 4. Up 4 try to make it to go up 5...........doesn't make any difference if 20 seconds are left or 1 second is left. Make it a 2 possession game.
I know you meant that too hrstrat57. Good point you make, it's nuts.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Interesting how the center minutes were divided last night....Rory: 26, Alex: 10, Abdou: 4
Abdou wasn’t going to play if the other two didn’t get into foul trouble, like everyone has said Abdou is pretty much gone at the end of the season
I'm hearing Samb is gone and Alex is likely gone. No idea if it's true.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone know where I can get the highlights of that game?
I'll make a video after work. Since I already posted Alex's clips, you can check those out. But Carey, Rory, Ish, Bassy all had some great moments.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Interesting how the center minutes were divided last night....Rory: 26, Alex: 10, Abdou: 4
Abdou wasn’t going to play if the other two didn’t get into foul trouble, like everyone has said Abdou is pretty much gone at the end of the season
I'd be kind of disappointed if Alex leaves. I still think he's got potential.
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Interesting Stevey is your source trustworthy? I could kinda see why Alex COULD leave, he’d be buried on the bench next year
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

Isn't he just a freshman? Plus he's playing out of position. He's not an under the basket big. Seems he's got hops and could play the 4.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

Isn't he just a freshman? Plus he's playing out of position. He's not an under the basket big. Seems he's got hops and could play the 4.
Nah he’s a R-sophomore which is technically a junior, and yeah he was supposed to be a 4 but imho I don’t see him being a 4 but at the same haven’t seen a lot of him playing at the 4, I think the only time he did was against PC when he was on the floor at the same time as Bilau
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

That would terrible if Alex left. We have another athletic 6’11 center coming in with experience?
1 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago That would terrible if Alex left. We have another athletic 6’11 center coming in with experience?
Exactly! Dude was showing last night how good he could be!

I also hate it when we try to get by with a bunch of 6'8 dudes

That's how you get embarassed by Duke in the tournament.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago That would terrible if Alex left. We have another athletic 6’11 center coming in with experience?
Exactly! Dude was showing last night how good he could be!

I also hate it when we try to get by with a bunch of 6'8 dudes

That's how you get embarassed by Duke in the tournament.
Seemed like URI maxed out at 6’8 forever. Height matters.
0 x
GO RAMS
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Interesting Stevey is your source trustworthy? I could kinda see why Alex COULD leave, he’d be buried on the bench next year
I have heard it from a few people who have given me great intel in the past.. Samb seems like a lock. With Alex, it depends on if we upgrade the position.. Foumena is younger and has a higher upside, so I think they would rather roll with him..

As I said, I have no idea if it's true, so we shall see. But I agree with you guys. I like Alex a lot. But, I like some of the juco bigs we offered more.

It is kinda odd that Alex lost the starting position and played well but still only saw 10 minutes, right?
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I love how we talk about depth, and next season well have Fouemena, Alex, and Bilau our deepest front court ever? And they wanna leave. Please Archie keep ‘em.
1 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Alex. Where was that display before last nite? Almost seemed like a freedom confidence switch got turned on? If we get him into his more natural position and accompany that with a banger, then keep him. This is change in view of Alex for me. Question is, was those minutes last nite flash in pan, or was the what we saw most of season the real Alex?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I have heard it from a few people who have given me great intel in the past.. Samb seems like a lock. With Alex, it depends on if we upgrade the position.. Foumena is younger and has a higher upside, so I think they would rather roll with him..

As I said, I have no idea if it's true, so we shall see. But I agree with you guys. I like Alex a lot. But, I like some of the juco bigs we offered more.

It is kinda odd that Alex lost the starting position and played well but still only saw 10 minutes, right?
Agreed maybe it’s the Fordham game that triggered Archie as well as many people on this board about just fucking dunking it instead of missing so many bunnies which lead to him being benched.

Also I’m with you Stevey on being high on the JUCOs especially Tyson Brown but who knows there might be a transfer that might be better than all the JUCOs out there
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’d like to keep Alex if possible but I understand if he moves on
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’d like to keep Alex if possible but I understand if he moves on
He would have to sit a year, probably not eligible for a waiver.
Prior to this year only played a total of 6 minutes in 2 seasons at Alabama.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

My prediction is that Alex stays.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone know where I can get the highlights of that game?
I'll make a video after work. Since I already posted Alex's clips, you can check those out. But Carey, Rory, Ish, Bassy all had some great moments.
Ok cool. I saw the Tchikou one already. Those 4 all had some nice moments as well.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Agreed maybe it’s the Fordham game that triggered Archie as well as many people on this board about just fucking dunking it instead of missing so many bunnies which lead to him being benched.

Also I’m with you Stevey on being high on the JUCOs especially Tyson Brown but who knows there might be a transfer that might be better than all the JUCOs out there
My biggest beef with so many of our bigs. Just feckin slam the ball in the basket. NO pretty shots, use your height, grab the ball and just rip the rim down with it.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I love how we talk about depth, and next season well have Fouemena, Alex, and Bilau our deepest front court ever? And they wanna leave. Please Archie keep ‘em.
Bilau is hurt. We don't know when he'll return or how healthy he'll be. You can't go into next season planning on him making an impact.

Foumena is a very intriguing player, but he hasn't played a second of D1 ball. He's going to need time to develop, and that may take a season.

Alex has had some flashes but he has also played some ugly basketball. Love his upside, but that's mainly all it is right now. Upside. Sometimes that upside doesn't happen. Great kid and great work ethic. i hope he sticks around.

At a minimum, we need a consistent starting big. Archie and the staff know this. I think we will land one of the jucos we are going after.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Ok cool. I saw the Tchikou one already. Those 4 all had some nice moments as well.

Didn’t have much time to edit so this a rush job but hopefully you can check out some of the highlights
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I love how we talk about depth, and next season well have Fouemena, Alex, and Bilau our deepest front court ever? And they wanna leave. Please Archie keep ‘em.
Love this enthusiasm, but Bilau is coming off an acl tear so who knows who if he’ll be the same but I think he’ll be good, Foumena was who I was looking forward to the most even over Weston this year so I hope and pray he’s what I hoped for, and Alex on the other hand hasn’t screamed potential to where I’d be excited he needs to develop more but at the same time he has two years left and most likely another big will be transferring in next year
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Didn’t have much time to edit so this a rush job but hopefully you can check out some of the highlights
Martin’s follow to go up 6 with a minute left was a sneaky huge play that was way more about situational awareness and hustle than skill and athleticism. Without that extra bucket we probably lose the game. I continue to be encouraged by stuff like that because, to me, that’s a culture play.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Alex’s most impressive play last night was when caught face up jabbed his man and hit a nice 15 footer. I hope he sticks around and tho raw I have liked him all year. His FT shooting is decent which indicates he can hit mid range shots. And he’s long and athletic.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I liked Alex when he saw his opponent fall asleep for a quick second then beat his guy for a vicious throw down
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
scine20 wrote: 1 year ago I didn’t watch the game. Was Sister Jean there?
Sure was.

She’s 103!
doesn't look a day over 95!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Hofstra?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not sure you can say it's terrible for pretty much any players to leave....without seeing their replacements....
Sure, it would be terrible to if Alex left but only if his slot wasn't filled by a better player.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

For those who said you should make the final ft if you are up by 3 you are absolutely right . So steviestuds and Jersey77 I apologize , what in hell was I thinking ? As far as the possibility a for foul on a second missed ft , I have seen players unintentionally foul because they aren't aware of where the opposing players were when the ball wa loose , so I still am okay with making both . i never understand why teams with a 4 point lead and only 3 or 4econds left even attempt to guard opposing players , but I have often seen players very close to fouling the 3 point shooter even though if they just go to the side of the court away from everyone the other team cannot win . If I were coaching in that situation i would instruct my players not to try to defend any shot and stay out of the path of any opposing players completely . Why try to block a shot with a 4 point lead and a second or 2 on the clock ? but I see it all the time .
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Not sure you can say it's terrible for pretty much any players to leave....without seeing their replacements....
Sure, it would be terrible to if Alex left but only if his slot wasn't filled by a better player.
Agreed 1000%

For example if his replacement had the same stats as him but playing in the P6 conference none of us would bat an eye
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Agreed 1000%

For example if his replacement had the same stats as him but playing in the P6 conference none of us would bat an eye
The "IF" is what I'm worried about.
0 x
GO RAMS
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

Agreed 1000%

Same couldn’t agree more but from the small sample size of the JUCOs I think we shall be fine

Bilau was ranked #97 last year in the rankings compared to this years, who are both in top 30 of the juco’s ranking and i wouldn’t be surprised if they get updated again soon when the season ends
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Agreed 1000%

Same couldn’t agree more but from the small sample size of the JUCOs I think we shall be fine

Bilau was ranked #97 last year in the rankings compared to this years, who are both in top 30 of the juco’s ranking and i wouldn’t be surprised if they get updated again soon when the season ends
Yes but nothing is guaranteed we sign those jucos.
Also, the portal will provide us with several other options.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

will our collective have the funds to secure the desired targets?
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago For those who said you should make the final ft if you are up by 3 you are absolutely right . So steviestuds and Jersey77 I apologize , what in hell was I thinking ? As far as the possibility a for foul on a second missed ft , I have seen players unintentionally foul because they aren't aware of where the opposing players were when the ball wa loose , so I still am okay with making both . i never understand why teams with a 4 point lead and only 3 or 4econds left even attempt to guard opposing players , but I have often seen players very close to fouling the 3 point shooter even though if they just go to the side of the court away from everyone the other team cannot win . If I were coaching in that situation i would instruct my players not to try to defend any shot and stay out of the path of any opposing players completely . Why try to block a shot with a 4 point lead and a second or 2 on the clock ? but I see it all the time .

Strongly disagree. You call a time out. Tell your players where you want them to be positioned and tell them not to move once in that position. Miss the free throw…only option for opposing team is to heave the ball at least 3/4 court. If it goes in you lose whether you were up 1 or 2.

If you make it and go up 2 they can now throw the ball up court from out of bounds with out the clock moving. So now they throw the ball over half court where they can get a legitimate look at a 2 or 3 pointer unless you defend…in which case you might commit a foul.

Do you really think Fordham had a better chance to score on 3/4 court shot than where they ended up taking the ball out up of bounds with 1 second left? At that point we had to defend and the likelihood of committing a foul was greater.

SMH
Last edited by RhodyRam86 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Another thing that bothers me is when a guy holds the ball up 1 or 2 with the other team out of timeouts and gets fouled instead of throwing the ball up in the air to have the time expire
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agreed 1000%

We would bat an eye, 'cause that would mean "upgrade"...Portalpalooza Ka-ching
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Agreed 1000%

I think the chances of a player leaving with greater skills than any new/replacement player joining...is slim to jack.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Rhodyram 86 . No I don't think the full court heave would be abetter shot . But again , you can't guarantee URI wouldn't make a boneheaded play and accidentally foul on the rebound which would result in a loss if both fts were made . we have seen this group find ways to lose so I would not put it past them . As it happened they had to make a three to win and could not do it . Much better chance to hit two fts to win than having to hit a three . And
maybe Archie didn't rust his players not to foul either . could you blame him ?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I understand Luke , that’s where Arch needs to stress no fouls there
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago Rhodyram 86 . No I don't think the full court heave would be abetter shot . But again , you can't guarantee URI wouldn't make a boneheaded play and accidentally foul on the rebound which would result in a loss if both fts were made . we have seen this group find ways to lose so I would not put it past them . As it happened they had to make a three to win and could not do it . Much better chance to hit two fts to win than having to hit a three . And
maybe Archie didn't rust his players not to foul either . could you blame him ?

Luke...YES! I can blame him. If he can't coach his guys not too foul in THAT particular situation then he's not the coach i think he is. like I said...Archie had 2 timeouts. He could have used one after the first free throw...Set up his defense...positioned his guys and tell them NOT TO MOVE when the free throw is missed. If his guys are too dumb to not heed those instructions, then I'd do just as well to burn the money I spend on season tix.

You also left out the fact by making the second free throw and allowing them to advance the ball without the clock moving, you bring the two pointer into play (which is what Loyola tried for). No way they are getting a two pointer if the second free throw is missed.

Go ask Tammy Reiss if she wishes her team missed the second of two free throws against Fordham. Very similar situation except there were 4.5 seconds left. URI made the second of two free throws to go up 2. Fordham inbounds the ball to just past the foul line with their player moving toward the other end. Two or three dribbles and she is just outside the 3 point line...throws up a somewhat contested shot and buries it. URI loses. Had we missed the second free throw there is no way Fordham can get that close to the 3 point line on the other end of the floor after rebounding the miss.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I know I won't change yours. We didn't miss the second free throw. Was that because Archie agrees with you or had a brain cramp? I certainly hope it's the latter because my biggest peeve with coaches in basketball and football is not knowing how to manage the game clock.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Good points Rhodyrams 86 I guess regarding the coach and control of his players , but still I have seen some really dumb plays made by teams with
outstanding coaches over the years . I respect your opinion and I do not claim that my choice is the only legitimate way to go . In the case of URI
they did in fact win the game . We will never know if your way of missing the second ft would have worked out or not , but it is another legitimate way to go .Probably many would agree with you and I can accept your way as well. Another debatable point that comes up often is do you foul with seconds remaining when leading by three points . I'm of the opinion that with
eight seconds or less I would definitely foul a dribbler . and if there are fouls to give with 10-15 seconds left foul in the back court and foul until they are used up and foul again to prevent a three point shot . there are others who worry about a make and then a put back on the second shot but I believe that is less likely .
1 x