URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago Yeah, I think he and at least one or two of the other bigs we have, are not used to playing in the paint or rebounding. They are all the same kind of position players, Rory has the edge on outside shooting and the others may have the edge in athleticism.

So, I think if you do get that key player who can give you a reliable double double, then Rory is further out, when he is in the game, and he might get a couple more rebounds just from being in position of where their trajectory is going, like the wing players tend to do.

I mean, of the hold overs, you have Bilau and maybe Foumena, who actually play in the paint. The rest are basically just big bodies playing out of position.
If Tchikou and Samb don't play in the paint, where do they play? (On any team, not just this one)
The portal.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Frentchi at best is a good backup big for like 5/10 mins a game
Some of you don’t remember how raw Cyril was or any other big not named Hassan their first years. And Alex has no Hassan to practice against and learn from
Cyril's per 40 minutes as a freshman were 9.8 points, 13.5 rebounds, 2.2 blocks, 1.4 steals... and 7.4 fouls. Tchikou isn't a freshman - you can handwave it, and say that he's "really" one because he didn't play last year for Alabama if you want - and he's at 9.3 points, 8.5 rebounds, 1.7 blocks and 0.8 steals, 5.9 fouls. I think he's still promising, but Cyril was only raw on the offensive end and in comparison to Hassan Martin. He was a valuable player from day one at URI.
Cyril came in more ready to play - he was also at least 3 inches shorter. Ceiling is still higher on a Alex. You see flashes of what he could be, this is year 1 of him playing college games. Let’s see how he adjusts this summer. Same for Rory - who I fully expect will come back a really strong player next season.

I am not as pessimistic as some here. Replacing Carey and Martin with true 3/4 combo guys will be key.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago
Some of you don’t remember how raw Cyril was or any other big not named Hassan their first years. And Alex has no Hassan to practice against and learn from
Cyril's per 40 minutes as a freshman were 9.8 points, 13.5 rebounds, 2.2 blocks, 1.4 steals... and 7.4 fouls. Tchikou isn't a freshman - you can handwave it, and say that he's "really" one because he didn't play last year for Alabama if you want - and he's at 9.3 points, 8.5 rebounds, 1.7 blocks and 0.8 steals, 5.9 fouls. I think he's still promising, but Cyril was only raw on the offensive end and in comparison to Hassan Martin. He was a valuable player from day one at URI.
Cyril came in more ready to play - he was also at least 3 inches shorter. Ceiling is still higher on a Alex. You see flashes of what he could be, this is year 1 of him playing college games. Let’s see how he adjusts this summer. Same for Rory - who I fully expect will come back a really strong player next season.

I am not as pessimistic as some here. Replacing Carey and Martin with true 3/4 combo guys will be key.
Alex does have more athletic upside than Cyril, but 2 totally different players.
They aren't in the same universe as far as toughness.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago the soft supple meat hooks
I think I saw them play at The Mist back in the day?
Yep, same night as Beaver Brown.
Hey, no trashing of Beaver Brown. They were my prom band!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago

I think I saw them play at The Mist back in the day?
I loved them. They played at Schiller's every Wednesday night when I was in school. I just went to see them last year. They're still good, although Cafferty and Antunes are the only guys still in the band from the old days.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

No starter on the team will be on the roster the next time URI dances assuming the current field size. This is why I call this year 0 ( or a lost year) rather than a re-building year. Development of Stewart, Weston and Fourmena as well as new players are key to our future. I say this meaning no slight to Ish, Bassy and Alex who will be out of eligibility.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

It’s an interesting juxtaposition on how we view the year coming in to the season versus now. Lest we forget it’s a rebuilding year. One of heavy roster turnover. I hate losing as much as anyone but I would highlight that we have six people on the team who have never played college basketball before.

1st year playing in college…
Rory, Weston, Alex, Hutch, Foumena (RS), Samb

The only players we have that have ever really seen solid time in college are Leggett, Martin and Carey (spot min for Bassy and Bilau). At a school like URI, we likely won’t see a ton of plug in frosh who dominate the league. So hopefully Archie can develop this team with a full offseason and some decent transfers. Teams that win in the A-10, win with veterans.

Also, I know it’s difficult to pay a coach $2 million and have the team suck, but you need to give him three years to build the program. That’s the bottom line.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

Alex does have more athletic upside than Cyril, but 2 totally different players.
They aren't in the same universe as far as toughness.
Cyril had to be tough, he was the smallest 5 in every single matchup. Alex is 6'11, if he gets stronger, he will be really solid.
0 x
GO RAMS
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Size and toughness are not the same. ARD was tough but undersized…I’d take him, Hassan and Cyril any day over an athletic 6-11 softie.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Size and toughness are not the same. ARD was tough but undersized…I’d take him, Hassan and Cyril any day over an athletic 6-11 softie.
So would everyone on this board.

Let's just hope Alex develops.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Alex needs a mean streak. He seems like a really nice kid. When he gets between the lines, he has to flip the switch and become more of an a-hole.
0 x
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Size and toughness are not the same. ARD was tough but undersized…I’d take him, Hassan and Cyril any day over an athletic 6-11 softie.
Not only is this Alex's first year playing college ball its also his first year being relied on to play the 5. Pretty sure he was a 4 his whole life before Rhody.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago No starter on the team will be on the roster the next time URI dances assuming the current field size. This is why I call this year 0 ( or a lost year) rather than a re-building year. Development of Stewart, Weston and Fourmena as well as new players are key to our future. I say this meaning no slight to Ish, Bassy and Alex who will be out of eligibility.
Maybe you can get Arch to agree with you, and call this "Year 0" of his contract, and push off getting paid until starting next year, when it's "Year 1"? You might just be on to something...
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The thing with Alex is that he was projected to be some sort of poor man's Odom, basically just a tall, somewhat athletic small forward. They juiced up his highlight films to make it look like he was some sort of scoring machine who could drive to the basket, bomb away from outside, post up, go in for the putback dunk. But he's never been someone who thrives on contact. He shies from contact. Alabama had his number. Tavorris Bell compared him to Andrew Wafula, whether justified or not, you would think T-Bell would know.

He's not a banger. I'm assuming that having him in the paint this year was out of necessity, not because they are trying to develop him into one.

Samb, is a banger, he's just not very good. Maybe he can get better over time, or more likely this level of competition is too much for him.

If URI wants to make a dramatic leap forward, they need that ideal, consistent, double double post presence that a lot of other A10 teams have. And not just some band aide crew by committee. So, here's hoping Archie can find one this off season.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago The thing with Alex is that he was projected to be some sort of poor man's Odom, basically just a tall, somewhat athletic small forward. They juiced up his highlight films to make it look like he was some sort of scoring machine who could drive to the basket, bomb away from outside, post up, go in for the putback dunk. But he's never been someone who thrives on contact. He shies from contact. Alabama had his number. Tavorris Bell compared him to Andrew Wafula, whether justified or not, you would think T-Bell would know.

He's not a banger. I'm assuming that having him in the paint this year was out of necessity, not because they are trying to develop him into one.

Samb, is a banger, he's just not very good. Maybe he can get better over time, or more likely this level of competition is too much for him.

If URI wants to make a dramatic leap forward, they need that ideal, consistent, double double post presence that a lot of other A10 teams have. And not just some band aide crew by committee. So, here's hoping Archie can find one this off season.
The last two sentences are the thing for me. We hear often here right here the Bilau is the answer. We will see. I am not so sure.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Samb is playing behind Alex and Rory. I would take that as bad news.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago It’s an interesting juxtaposition on how we view the year coming in to the season versus now. Lest we forget it’s a rebuilding year. One of heavy roster turnover. I hate losing as much as anyone but I would highlight that we have six people on the team who have never played college basketball before.

The only players we have that have ever really seen solid time in college are Leggett, Martin and Carey (spot min for Bassy and Bilau). At a school like URI, we likely won’t see a ton of plug in frosh who dominate the league. So hopefully Archie can develop this team with a full offseason and some decent transfers. Teams that win in the A-10, win with veterans.

Also, I know it’s difficult to pay a coach $2 million and have the team suck, but you need to give him three years to build the program. That’s the bottom line.
It would've been nice if one of the players you mentioned had developed into a player we could be excited about. Instead, just a lot of question marks in my mind.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago
SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago It’s an interesting juxtaposition on how we view the year coming in to the season versus now. Lest we forget it’s a rebuilding year. One of heavy roster turnover. I hate losing as much as anyone but I would highlight that we have six people on the team who have never played college basketball before.

It would've been nice if one of the players you mentioned had developed into a player we could be excited about. Instead, just a lot of question marks in my mind.
Agreed Iggy. Also, a school like URI had EC, Terrell and Hass who were plug in freshmen who dominated. So I disagree with the quoted post. I expect Archie to do at least as good as DH did.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sadly, because of the new transfer rules, 'Who will stay and who will go?' will be a question after every season now, whether we are bad, whether we are good or somewhere in between.
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Agreed Iggy. Also, a school like URI had EC, Terrell and Hass who were plug in freshmen who dominated. So I disagree with the quoted post. I expect Archie to do at least as good as DH did.
Hass averaged 6 pts his freshman year. JT averaged 9. Hardly call it dominance as a freshman. EC and Lamar are the only ones in recent memory that averaged double figures. Two out of how many years…? Manage your expectations.

I’m not saying Archie is crushing it. But time will tell how effective he is here at RI.
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago
Hass averaged 6 pts his freshman year. JT averaged 9. Hardly call it dominance as a freshman. EC and Lamar are the only ones in recent memory that averaged double figures. Two out of how many years…? Manage your expectations.

I’m not saying Archie is crushing it. But time will tell how effective he is here at RI.
Huh? JT averaged 9 pts his freshman year? There are only two players on this team right now averaging more points per game. And they ain't freshmen.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Freshman or not, 6-9 pts isn’t dominating the league. Carey has 10 ppg this year. I wouldnt put him in the dominating category.

Just pointing out that we shouldn’t expect freshman to carry us each year. Player development is important.
0 x
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Freshman or not, 6-9 pts isn’t dominating the league. Carey has 10 ppg this year. I wouldnt put him in the dominating category.

Just pointing out that we shouldn’t expect freshman to carry us each year. Player development is important.
Well, I would rather "develop" a freshman (Terrell) who averages 9 a game, then a senior (Carey) who averages 10 a game.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Maybe you can get Arch to agree with you, and call this "Year 0" of his contract, and push off getting paid until starting next year, when it's "Year 1"? You might just be on to something...
Arch took a big enough hit on incentive pay. Beware of job openings in LA.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Couldn’t help myself. What?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
72 is spot on... LA programs are excited for Archie to put their team back on top in year zero. Year zero is probably the most critical year for most coaches.I think about all the legendary coaches in their zero years, and man, so many memories.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Why? Because his wife and daughter are there, I suppose?

And, what school would that be you are hinting at?

LSU ??? Why would they be interested at this time? If they are looking for a new coach, I would think they would be looking elsewhere until Archie has success here. By that time his daughter will probably be graduating.

Tulane ?? Doubtful Archie would take it if offered, imho.

LA Tech ? LA Monroe ? LA Lafayette ?

Why be so cryptic? Just blurt it out.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Freshman or not, 6-9 pts isn’t dominating the league. Carey has 10 ppg this year. I wouldnt put him in the dominating category.

I believe every freshman this year is averaging less than 4 points a game. Terrell averaged 9. These players are so far behind the curve of being good already. If they tripled their point production, they are seniors averaging 12 at most a game. 3 points more than Terrell as a freshman. It's ok to call out what's not working. And also to question how good these players can become.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Why? Because his wife and daughter are there, I suppose?

And, what school would that be you are hinting at?

LSU ??? Why would they be interested at this time. If they are looking for a new coach, I would think they would be looking elsewhere until Archie has success here.

Tulane ?? Doubtful Archie would take it if offered, imho.

LA Tech ? LA Monroe ? LA Lafayette ?

Why be so cryptic? Just blurt it out.
I think his wife and daughter are still in AZ. His daughter will be there in the Fall.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Louisiana? Or Los Angeles?
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That was very cryptic. What are people hearing?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago That was very cryptic. What are people hearing?
voices in their heads....
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

yeah, but does anything really surprise you anymore when it comes to this program/
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago yeah, but does anything really surprise you anymore when it comes to this program/
I'm going to go with, "Nope, for a thousand, Alex"
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Louisiana? Or Los Angeles?
Archie's daughter has a gymnastic scholarship to LSU. She's a senior in high school now.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Archie's daughter has a gymnastic scholarship to LSU. She's a senior in high school now.
Right. I think most people knew that.... does not help fuel additional speculation, though
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Wow, she's going to be on the team with that tick tocker star. Welcome to the bright lights.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago yeah, but does anything really surprise you anymore when it comes to this program/
Please do not take anything 72 says seriously. 72s goal is to get a rise out of people and screw around. We are the bottom of the A10 and Archie just got here. He’s not leaving anytime soon..
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Wow, she's going to be on the team with that tick tocker star. Welcome to the bright lights.
Speaking of NIL, that girl has made over a million dollars.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Please do not take anything 72 says seriously. 72s goal is to get a rise out of people and screw around. We are the bottom of the A10 and Archie just got here. He’s not leaving anytime soon..
Good reminder, Stevey.

Just when I thought I was out, 72 drags me back in! :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Speaking of NIL, that girl has made over a million dollars.
I just did a search. I was wrong. She has made between 2.7 and 3 million dollars.
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

RV throwing out names not in the portal yet.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago

Is there a connection I'm missing here? Committed to Butler then went to Temple. Or is there no obvious connection they just think they could be a good player for us?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Is there a connection I'm missing here? Committed to Butler then went to Temple. Or is there no obvious connection they just think they could be a good player for us?
Aside from a possible Jersey connection to Woodward, why would Battle come to URI?

He is one of the top players in the AAC (averaging 18 pts) and will probably get his choice of the pick of the litter.

Is this just another name RV is throwing out there.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Aside from a possible Jersey connection to Woodward, why would Battle come to URI?

He is one of the top players in the AAC (averaging 18 pts) and will probably get his choice of the pick of the litter.

Is "recruiting possible transfers" even allowed never mind "being in full swing?"
How does this help URI (or hurt URI) to have this info made public?
Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?
With the season still not even to Conference Tournament time yet

I'd be highly doubtful that Miller would want any of his potential transfer recruiting info made public at this time
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Is "recruiting possible transfers" even allowed never mind "being in full swing?"
Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?

I'd be highly doubtful that Miller would want any of his recruiting info made public at this time
Ramster, I think it is a huge mistake to start throwing these names out there, while the season is still going, and they aren't currently in the portal.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Of course Archie will play it close to the vest. But with the wild wild west brought about by the Portal circus out there, fans can go gaga over the slightest shred of baseless connection to further fueling wild wild speculation that someone is even mentioned interested to a given team. Maybe March is the best time of the year for fans, beyond March Madness.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Or help or hurt Temple?
Or help or hurt Battle?

I'd be highly doubtful that Miller would want any of his recruiting info made public at this time
Ramster, I think it is a huge mistake to start throwing these names out there, while the season is still going, and they aren't currently in the portal.
You can read about Battle on the Temple247 message board.
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago

I loved them. They played at Schiller's every Wednesday night when I was in school. I just went to see them last year. They're still good, although Cafferty and Antunes are the only guys still in the band from the old days.
Gary Guitar is still with them too.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Khalif Battle? Yes please.

You guys said you wanted 4star players. This be it. True 2, shooting guard.
0 x