2/25 | Fordham | 2:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: 2/25 | Fordham | 2:30PM (USA)

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Close but no 5 cent cigar. Carey 2-12, 4 TOs, including big one at end of 1st half leading to a 3 which was the difference.
Yes he was atrocious today but that TO was on Tchikou completely mistimed his jump

Disagree...Regardless of whether or not Tchikou mistimed his jump it was a poor decision by Carey. Clock management. No reason to push the ball there. You hold it for the last shot of the half unless you have a clear path to the basket. He cost URI the lead at half time.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Close but no 5 cent cigar. Carey 2-12, 4 TOs, including big one at end of 1st half leading to a 3 which was the difference.
Yes he was atrocious today but that TO was on Tchikou completely mistimed his jump

Disagree...Regardless of whether or not Tchikou mistimed his jump it was a poor decision by Carey. Clock management. No reason to push the ball there. You hold it for the last shot of the half unless you have a clear path to the basket. He cost URI the lead at half time.
It looked like a designed play to Tchikou to me, but maybe I'm wrong. I think Archie was trying to get some sort of presence in the post going so we could open things up for Ish.

it makes sense that a smarter ball-handling guard like Bassy had a better game than Carey against a team like Fordham. They do a great job of causing turnovers.

Carey had a bad game. It happens. My guess is Archie told Carey and Malik to pick up the slack on the offensive end, so you're seeing them be more aggressive. It has to be hard for the guards to have little to no help from the frontcourt. Carey will bounce back.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Their big hooked who ever he was playing against every time he drove to the basket
Agreed Dino. Surprised he didn’t get called for hooking at least once.

That said, a post defender needs foot-speed and agility to beat the big to the spot and not get caught behind and get hooked. Rory doesn’t have the foot-speed and agility to do that consistently yet. Hopefully he gets there through gym work - like Stevie posted earlier - or via a double leg transplant courtesy of the fine orthopedic surgeons at South County Hospital. :D
Rory won’t be playing the five imho next year, he’s been forced with Fou redshirting and Bilaus injury and Samb being outright terrible (the worst since Jermaine Harris).

Hope Archie gets Tyson Brown (JUCO) as the big transfer
I agree Brown would be a great get.

Brown just dropped 15 and 13 boards today.

I watched them play Indian River a week or so ago. Brown ended up with 17 pts, 2 blocks, and 10 boards. He's a walking double-double.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago Get the ball out of Carey’s hands wtf
Always dribbling in traffic
Didn't watch today, but...'dribbling in traffic' is never a good thing. For those that tend to turn it over, sometimes seems like it's 'in traffic', even when it's just 'one guy on D'. Oh well....one more year!
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

It was right there. So close. The team is getting better. Just not good enough yet
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Loved Digger Phelps leading the crowd on with his cheers. !

I’m sure Harrick would have done it from his motorcycle if we had asked 😀
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Dude, what are you talking about? One dunk? I've brought up countless plays all season on why I think Weston will be a good piece for this team. I don't think grown men and women on this board actually hate Weston or any player on our team. The only time I thought that someone hated one of our players was you with Jermaine Harris. It's a freaking saying. "haters".. LIke are you seriously that oblivious, or you're just intentionally trying to bust my balls for the 10000th time because that's your thing on here.

I respond to posts, not posters.

I couldn’t care less who posts what.
Sure...

I've been high on Weston all year, and I don't believe for a second that you haven't seen posts from me talking about nice plays or why I like his game. I bring him up all the time.

Here is a post from the last game.
steveystuds06 » 2 days ago
Weston playing some D and a very nice athletic finish. Let’s get him going.

Here is a tweet from November.

So I guess it's not just one dunk, huh?
I'm on the fence with Weston. I'd like to see more hustle. He has shown some flashes but nothing consistent and I have wondered if he has the fitness level to play many more minutes. He might live up to his potential but he will have to work hard to improve.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Loved Digger Phelps leading the crowd on with his cheers. !

He seemed to enjoy his visit. kind of strange as he was only there one year in total.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

He sure did, he must have really enjoyed that team.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Just looked at the box score and Frenchie only played 16 min and Samb saw no action.

Was that simply Archie’s decision or are there injuries?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Just looked at the box score and Frenchie only played 16 min and Samb saw no action.

Samb was not dressed to play today. He was in sweats. Not sure if injured or not but he was not going in.

When Tchikou missed 2 point blank shots in a row having rebounded his own 1st miss I was thinking why don't you just grab the ball and dunk it - he is 6'11". Then I looked at Archie and I could swear Archie was thinking the same thing as Archie made eye contact with Tchikou who was now coming back up the court in the direction of the Rhody bench. Tchikou looked at Archie and kind of shrugged and smiled. Tchikou needs to get tougher and meaner. It's not just about getting in the weight room.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 1 year ago

I think a little of both. Maybe Carey for the time remaining part of it, but really Tchikou just didn't position himself well, didn't time himself well to grab the pass. It wasn't a bad pass, it was bad positioning and preparedness to catch the pass and then have an easy layup.

I watched Archie as the 1st half ended and the team headed for the locker room. Archie delayed a bit behind the URI players. Archie was shaking his head and was clearly not happy with the way we ended the 1st half. He knew we gave away some points we should not have.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Were the Fordham fans just chanting "OVERRATED!" as a 10-5 team beating a 4-11 team at home?
Go easy on them. Like 4 winning seasons in 33 years. Tough to say “act like you’ve been there before” lmao. They’re cute.
Haha thats fair, they're still learning!

There were several times in the game that things got testy and physical. Very early on Quisenberry had to be reined in by the Refs and his coach.
It was after one of these heated instances that the Fordham Student section started chanting "Fuck Rhode Island". They did the chant with the cadence that a crowd would chant "overrated" but it most definitely was "Fuck Rhode Island". I can understand how it might have sounded like overrated on a telecast but that would not have made sense with URI's record. Thomas was in the midst of a couple of scuffles as was Leggett once and Westin as well.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago Loved Digger Phelps leading the crowd on with his cheers. !

He seemed to enjoy his visit. kind of strange as he was only there one year in total.
Today they honored the 1970-1971 Fordham team at halftime. This team went 26-3, was ranked as high as #9 Nationally and advanced to the Sweet 16.
Digger Phelps was the Head Coach at Fordham that year, his first year as a Head Coach anywhere. After that one season at Fordham Phelps took the HC job at Notre Dame for 20 years.

Charlie Yelverton had his number retired today - the 5th Fordham player to have his number retired to the rafters. Yelverton led that 1970-71 Fordham team.
5BF680D3-BC22-44F5-925F-E3856753AFF7.jpeg
6111F31C-B6BA-4259-8AE5-A968140FC96A.jpeg
040F4E16-28E0-4EDC-8AF1-AF5A8507932C.jpeg
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Interesting that today's URI women's game at Ryan drew more fans than Fordham drew to Rose Hill today.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Interesting that today's URI women's game at Ryan drew more fans than Fordham drew to Rose Hill today.
Rose hill was at capacity.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Interesting that today's URI women's game at Ryan drew more fans than Fordham drew to Rose Hill today.
Rose hill was at capacity.
The entire end zone seating at the Fordham Bench end of the court does not currently exist. Reduced capacity from 2,900 to 1,800 this season while construction takes place.

There was a lot of Fordham students lined up hoping they could get in the gym an hour before the game.

When entering the gym the guy said to me "you know you could get a lot of money for your tickets today?" I said "I'm sure I could but no way i was selling."

The crowd was electric. Very enthusiastic and the Fordham players pick up on it. May be a small facility but that place was rocking. Reminded me of the big game years when Keaney Gym was packed to the rafters.

Music played before the game, during time outs and during halftime was great. Good sound level - not too loud and not too soft.

Halftime recognition of the 1970-71 team was very well orchestrated.

Students bodies spell Bronx Built. Student section was loud, enthusiastic and engaged.
657D2D0A-9024-411D-842B-F4FB36792167.jpeg
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thought Archie coached a solid game. The team played well in a pretty hostile environment.
Looking forward to the A10 Tournament.
While they have lost 7 straight I think they have the potential to surprise in The A10 Tournament.
4 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

With this team you never know . They will probably be the team with the lowest expectations and the least amount of pressure because any wins in the Tournament would be gravy and a loss is meaningless. They have been so close in a number of games so you never know . Am I expecting an upset or two from URI ? NO .
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Thought Archie coached a solid game. The team played well in a pretty hostile environment.
While they have lost 7 straight I think they have the potential to surprise in The A10 Tournament.
Ramster, you are a true fan.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

^^^^^^^^^
If that's not a damning indictment of your post, then I don't know what is
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The Morning After Report. I got nothing.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago Just looked at the box score and Frenchie only played 16 min and Samb saw no action.

Samb was not dressed to play today. He was in sweats. Not sure if injured or not but he was not going in.

When Tchikou missed 2 point blank shots in a row having rebounded his own 1st miss I was thinking why don't you just grab the ball and dunk it - he is 6'11". Then I looked at Archie and I could swear Archie was thinking the same thing as Archie made eye contact with Tchikou who was now coming back up the court in the direction of the Rhody bench. Tchikou looked at Archie and kind of shrugged and smiled. Tchikou needs to get tougher and meaner. It's not just about getting in the weight room.
Don't think I've seen anyone shoot so many shots in the paint, and miss - by more distance than they are from the basket.
How do you shoot the ball 5', when you're only 1' from the basket? (yeah, not sure that's a weight room thing...)
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

We competed against a very good Fordham team (top 4 A10) in a tough small, packed arena.
We only had 8 players available (according to Ramster).

Once again, we were overmatched in the paint.
Not having a true center, rim protector, in the paint has really hurt us this season.
Hopefully Bilau, Foumena, and solid big from the portal will remedy that next season.

Malik averaged 19 pts/ 8 rebs in his last 2 games.

Bassy had his best game this season 16 pts/4 assists/3 steals.

Again most of us felt that this rebuild wasn't going to happen overnight.
I am currently still sticking to my original timeline.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I have no timeline. The amount of real estate between URI and where we want to be is a formidable challenge to traverse. I guess when we get there, we/ll know we got there.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What’s amazing to me , is how competitive we are even with missing starters. We’re not good, but I can’t remember a “bad” URI team having a chance to win so many games, no matter the opponent.
3 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I have no timeline. The amount of real estate between URI and where we want to be is a formidable challenge to traverse. I guess when we get there, we/ll know we got there.
I feel there has to be a timeline because there is a need for accountability.
You can't just give Archie a blank check with no expectations.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The expectations remain the same. Compete at top of conference, Dance. The timeline is much less defined. My slow and steady theme for this season went sideways. Go Rhody
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Every time someone says “wow look at bassy” I watch him do something you’d only see in middle school basketball from a JV kid.

The pass in the stands last week. The pass behind the backboard.

He’s not an A10 player. He might not even be a D1 player.

Sometimes in golf every now and again I hit a shot that a pro could. Doesn’t mean I’m good. Doesn’t mean I belong on tour.
LMAO RIGHT ON CUE. What’s he shooting for layups this year? 35%?
I guess I have some difficulty reconciling your admiration for Miller, and your well stated trust in him as a coach...and the trashing of Bassy. Yes the kid has makes some cringeworthy mistakes, we all get that. Its sometimes hard to watch.

I have to think Archie sees something in him that perhaps some on this board do not. Admittedly, I have never coached basketball, but there has to be some reason why Bassy is the go to player for Miller. I know Bray is gone, but Miller was putting Bassy in at a lot of critical times when Bray was still on the team.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Thought Archie coached a solid game. The team played well in a pretty hostile environment.
You said 23-8.

Ryan Center attendance record.

Starting with VCU, every game was winnable.

Would cover the spread every game starting with VCU.

Thomas would be a better fit than Freeman.

Offense would have more flow with Thomas.

All wrong.

And now you’re saying you think they could surprise in the A10 tourney when they have shown literally nothing whatsoever to back your opinion.

I guess I respect you sticking to your guns to this point even though you’ve been wrong about pretty much everything, except the Dayton game.
1 x
Go Rhody
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

We were competitive against a decent team (no A10 team should be classified as 'good' IMO) which is better than expected after Freeman's departure.

Rory can be a good 10-15 min guy next year especially if he keeps improving from 3. If he wants more minutes, he will have to go elsewhere.
You cannot teach foot speed.

Thomas and Carey may be the two most frustrating players I have ever watched in a URI uniform.
Can do some good things, but when they're bad, they're so, so bad.
It is unfortunate that Carey has to have the ball in his hands so much. He should be playing wing.
Thomas could be useful in a limited role, but decision making will always be an issue.
If he would realize his job is to just play solid basketball, he'd be ok.
He plays like he's fine with four bad decisions as long as the fifth gets him on SportsCenter.
Another player that likely needs to move on if he wants more minutes.
Might be the last dance for both.

I'm confused why other teams do not full court press us for 40 min. We'd average 25 TOs, easy.
Maybe because URI is a 'look past' game this season. Sad.

Tchikou really needs strength. Just a gangly guy that has not filled out. He may be 30 before that happens.
It's like watching a baby giraffe out there now. Another 10-12 min guy- IF he gets stronger.

I am in the 'Weston can be a star' camp once he fully trusts his knee and commits to playing all out.
If you watch carefully, he gets a lot of deflections and rebounds well.
If we had a good PG and/or a big that could play inside out, he could spot up more and be an effective scorer.

I really hope Ish stays, we get a solid PG, PF and C next year. Also hope Bilau is healthy and Foumena gets a clean bill of health.
The A10 is bad. Really bad. With the portal, there's really no excuse to not be in the top four next year. We will see.
3 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

Go easy on them. Like 4 winning seasons in 33 years. Tough to say “act like you’ve been there before” lmao. They’re cute.
Haha thats fair, they're still learning!

There were several times in the game that things got testy and physical. Very early on Quisenberry had to be reined in by the Refs and his coach.
It was after one of these heated instances that the Fordham Student section started chanting "Fuck Rhode Island". They did the chant with the cadence that a crowd would chant "overrated" but it most definitely was "Fuck Rhode Island". I can understand how it might have sounded like overrated on a telecast but that would not have made sense with URI's record. Thomas was in the midst of a couple of scuffles as was Leggett once and Westin as well.
Catholic school, of course. If they couldn't get into Fordham, they'd fit right in at their safety school, the mental hospital.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago What’s amazing to me , is how competitive we are even with missing starters. We’re not good, but I can’t remember a “bad” URI team having a chance to win so many games, no matter the opponent.
Hmmm...wonder why? Could it be....daaaa coach?
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago We were competitive against a decent team (no A10 team should be classified as 'good' IMO) which is better than expected after Freeman's departure.

Rory can be a good 10-15 min guy next year especially if he keeps improving from 3. If he wants more minutes, he will have to go elsewhere.

Thomas and Carey may be the two most frustrating players I have ever watched in a URI uniform.
It is unfortunate that Carey has to have the ball in his hands so much. He should be playing wing.
Thomas could be useful in a limited role, but decision making will always be an issue.
He plays like he's fine with four bad decisions as long as the fifth gets him on SportsCenter.

I'm confused why other teams do not full court press us for 40 min. We'd average 25 TOs, easy.

Tchikou really needs strength. Just a gangly guy that has not filled out. He may be 30 before that happens.
It's like watching a baby giraffe out there now. Another 10-12 min guy- IF he gets stronger.

I am in the 'Weston can be a star' camp once he fully trusts his knee and commits to playing all out.
If we had a good PG and/or a big that could play inside out, he could spot up more and be an effective scorer.

I really hope Ish stays, we get a solid PG, PF and C next year. Also hope Bilau is healthy and Foumena gets a clean bill of health.
The A10 is bad. Really bad. With the portal, there's really no excuse to not be in the top four next year. We will see.

This is completely spot on.

In regards to Weston and Tchikou, I believe Weston has the higher ceiling. I’m not as high on Tchikou as everyone else seems to be. Weston has had more flashes this season.

I actually think Samb has a more polished back to the basket game than Alex. Now Samb I’m not saying Samb should be playing more, just talking strictly post moves, footwork, etc. There’s being raw, then there’s Alex.

On a legitimate A10 contending team, Tchikou isn’t more than a 15ish minute guy.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The URI women not only outdrew the Fordham Men yesterday but did so for the entire year as well.

Yesterday Attendance:
Fordham Men 1,808
URI Women 1,952

Season YTD Average Attendance
Fordham Men 989
URI Women 1,435

Fordham's gym capacity was reduced from 3,200 to 1,808 due to ongoing construction in an adjacent building. The now 23-6 (best record ever in its over 30 years in the A-10) Fordham Men's team still only managed to fill roughly half the seats for the season in their much reduced capacity gym.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramster, I love your optimism, but really? Who are we going to surprise? Then again, if we win a game, I guess that would qualify as a surprise.
1 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Every time someone says “wow look at bassy” I watch him do something you’d only see in middle school basketball from a JV kid.

Sometimes in golf every now and again I hit a shot that a pro could. Doesn’t mean I’m good. Doesn’t mean I belong on tour.
But you will probably shank occasionally, slice a few, and maybe 3 putt. Doesn't mean your terrible and should only play miniature golf.
You've caught the Jermaine Harris bug ala 15.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The URI women not only outdrew the Fordham Men yesterday but did so for the entire year as well.

Yesterday Attendance:
Fordham Men 1,808
URI Women 1,952

Fordham Men 989
URI Women 1,435

Fordham's gym capacity was reduced from 3,200 to 1,808 due to ongoing construction in an adjacent building. The now 23-6 (best record ever in its over 30 years in the A-10) Fordham Men's team still only managed to fill roughly half the seats for the season in their much reduced capacity gym.

They have 7 sellouts and the remaining schedule is sold out
Line of students to get in yesterday was huge
I was told I could have gotten big bucks for my tickets yesterday by Fordham ticket taker
The atmosphere was like going back to Keaney Gym for a PC-URI or Temple-URI game.
I was envious of the excitement and enthusiasm.

Attendance doesn’t win games - players and coaches do.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago We were competitive against a decent team (no A10 team should be classified as 'good' IMO) which is better than expected after Freeman's departure.

In regards to Weston and Tchikou, I believe Weston has the higher ceiling. I’m not as high on Tchikou as everyone else seems to be. Weston has had more flashes this season.

I actually think Samb has a more polished back to the basket game than Alex. Now Samb I’m not saying Samb should be playing more, just talking strictly post moves, footwork, etc. There’s being raw, then there’s Alex.

On a legitimate A10 contending team, Tchikou isn’t more than a 15ish minute guy.
When have we ever seen Samb make a polished back to the basket move on anyone tho? Samb maybe has a marginally higher floor than Tchikou but Alex’s ceiling is so far higher due to his length and athleticism advantages over Samb. Neither has shown the ball skills or footwork yet to be impactful bigs at this level.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Yesterday Attendance:
Fordham Men 1,808
URI Women 1,952

Fordham Men 989
URI Women 1,435

They have 7 sellouts and the remaining schedule is sold out
Line of students to get in yesterday was huge
I was told I could have gotten big bucks for my tickets yesterday by Fordham ticket taker
The atmosphere was like going back to Keaney Gym for a PC-URI or Temple-URI game.
I was envious of the excitement and enthusiasm.

Attendance doesn’t win games - players and coaches do.

I am not commenting on the quality of the Fordham team (it is clearly better than our Rams) or the enthusiasm of the people that have shown up at their recent home games. The cold hard indisputable attendance FACTS are that they have only sold out FOUR of their nineteen home games to date in a venue that has a reduced capacity of only 1,808 and drew just 373 to an early game versus Stonehill. This despite having their best team ever in their 30+ A-10 years (now 23-6) along with being located in by far the biggest metro area of the US.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You said 23-8.

Ryan Center attendance record.

Starting with VCU, every game was winnable.

Would cover the spread every game starting with VCU.

Thomas would be a better fit than Freeman.

Offense would have more flow with Thomas.

All wrong.

And now you’re saying you think they could surprise in the A10 tourney when they have shown literally nothing whatsoever to back your opinion.

I guess I respect you sticking to your guns to this point even though you’ve been wrong about pretty much everything, except the Dayton game.
Ramster was 1 last second shot from being pretty right about VCU.

He said Thomas would play well that game (he did) and we would upset them. Most all others thought it would be a bloodbath.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

When have we ever seen Samb make a polished back to the basket move on anyone tho? Samb maybe has a marginally higher floor than Tchikou but Alex’s ceiling is so far higher due to his length and athleticism advantages over Samb. Neither has shown the ball skills or footwork yet to be impactful bigs at this level.
In OOC play Samb looked much much better than he does now.

He had multiple good games then.

Obviously he’s regressed / doesn’t look great against better competition.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I do remember him having a couple of serviceable moments early season, albeit against low major comp. That said I never remember him showing a polished back to the basket game that you referenced. Without looking at stats I recall him picking up some garbage points here and there and knocking down an occasional elbow J. If he had any semblance of a polished back to the basket game he’d be playing.

We threw the ball into the post yesterday once- to Rory. He spun middle and kicked to Ish for an open 3. It was prob 1 of our only clean looks for Ish all game. Came off simple post entry action to a guy who isn’t even a real threat. But that alone created space for Ish to get open. It’s so hard to run offense when you can’t/don’t even attempt to throw the ball inside. That’s how we have had to play all of A10 without Bilau.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I do remember him having a couple of serviceable moments early season, albeit against low major comp. That said I never remember him showing a polished back to the basket game that you referenced. Without looking at stats I recall him picking up some garbage points here and there and knocking down an occasional elbow J. If he had any semblance of a polished back to the basket game he’d be playing.

We threw the ball into the post yesterday once- to Rory. He spun middle and kicked to Ish for an open 3. It was prob 1 of our only clean looks for Ish all game. Came off simple post entry action to a guy who isn’t even a real threat. But that alone created space for Ish to get open. It’s so hard to run offense when you can’t/don’t even attempt to throw the ball inside. That’s how we have had to play all of A10 without Bilau.
In the first 3 games of the season, he had totals of 30 points and 18 rebounds and played 88 minutes. So he was averaging 10 and 6 and 29 minutes. In those games he shot 11-14 from the field. But yes, that was against inferior competition. Although in game 8, against PC, he had 14 points, going 6-7 from the field. It has gone steadily downhill since then.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

In the first 3 games of the season, he had totals of 30 points and 18 rebounds and played 88 minutes. So he was averaging 10 and 6 and 29 minutes. In those games he shot 11-14 from the field. But yes, that was against inferior competition. Although in game 8, against PC, he had 14 points, going 6-7 from the field. It has gone steadily downhill since then.
Yeah in addition to PC, probably his best game was against Texas State when Archie started both Alex and him upfront. Samb scored 14 pts (6-9) and 7 rebounds.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Samb was a total surprise early on. I was very impressed with his soft touch. But the more he's played against legit strong A10-level bigs, the more he's been bullied and worn down. He looks like a high school kid. He could go average a double-double at a low major. I think it's a perfect fit for him
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago

I guess I have some difficulty reconciling your admiration for Miller, and your well stated trust in him as a coach...and the trashing of Bassy. Yes the kid has makes some cringeworthy mistakes, we all get that. Its sometimes hard to watch.

I have to think Archie sees something in him that perhaps some on this board do not. Admittedly, I have never coached basketball, but there has to be some reason why Bassy is the go to player for Miller. I know Bray is gone, but Miller was putting Bassy in at a lot of critical times when Bray was still on the team.

Bassy is a great kid with a ton of heart.

Bassy reminds me of Mike Powell. We all knew Mike wasn't a piece on a good A10 team, but he had to play many minutes because we didn't have anyone else to handle the ball.... Archie plays him because he plays under control, has a strong handle, typically makes the right pass, and works his ass off. These are all great traits to have. The problem is he is so limited on offense that teams can lay off him, pack the paint, and dare him to shoot. Ish had nowhere to go yesterday because they had a 7-foot center defending our point guard, and he wouldn't move past the elbow. It's similar to how teams defend Russell Westbrook.

Archie will upgrade the position, and eventually, we will have a guard that is a playmaker AND a scorer. We see guards like that all over the league. We will get one.. I think that person is Cam.

Now I think Bassy could stick around because he leads by example. He does everything right off the court and is a great teammate. And in some games, he can make an impact like yesterday. We can't rely on someone like him for 30+ minutes a game if we want to go anywhere in the conference.
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Am I seeing this right that the Loyola
game Wednesday isn’t on TV/streaming?
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bassy had 16 points on 5-13 shooting, 2-4 from three, 4 assists and 3 steals. Ish had 14 points (less), on 5-13 shooting (same), 2-4 from three (same), 2 assists (less) and 2 steals (less). No, our best player didn't have his usual game, but the guy a lot of you dump on had a better game than our best player. Maybe, he's not a quality starting A10 PG, but you guys don't think he has a role as a backup here playing 10-15 minutes a game if he wants to stay?
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago

Bassy is a great kid with a ton of heart.

Bassy reminds me of Mike Powell. We all knew Mike wasn't a piece on a good A10 team, but he had to play many minutes because we didn't have anyone else to handle the ball.... Archie plays him because he plays under control, has a strong handle, typically makes the right pass, and works his ass off. These are all great traits to have. The problem is he is so limited on offense that teams can lay off him, pack the paint, and dare him to shoot. Ish had nowhere to go yesterday because they had a 7-foot center defending our point guard, and he wouldn't move past the elbow. It's similar to how teams defend Russell Westbrook.

Archie will upgrade the position, and eventually, we will have a guard that is a playmaker AND a scorer. We see guards like that all over the league. We will get one.. I think that person is Cam.

Now I think Bassy could stick around because he leads by example. He does everything right off the court and is a great teammate. And in some games, he can make an impact like yesterday. We can't rely on someone like him for 30+ minutes a game if we want to go anywhere in the conference.
This 100%

The Bassy hate I find puzzling. Like Mello 20 yrs back he was dominant in RIIL hoops but a borderline D1 prospect. He’s been forced into a role he shouldn’t be in and has played ok at times on a truly bad A10 team. To me his worth as a off the bench spark plug for 10/12 minutes a game is pretty indisputable. It’s not his fault Freeman and Ant ended up as fails.

Stop killing the kid is my take. He is not the problem here.
6 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!