A-10 Tourney 4th Seed

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: A-10 Tourney 4th Seed

Unread post by McRam »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Well done, McRam.

Myself, I didn’t think any better than bottom half for both at best.
Thanks. I have an advantage of having to listen to my brother all the time about Fordham basketball. ( Father and brother were alumni of Fordham. ) Have been to Rose Hill many times and pretty much watch them on TV when Rhody is not on.

They have done an excellent job in turning the program around in two years and three coaches in the last three years. If I remember correctly, they went from 2:conference wins in 21to 16-16 last year and their performance this year. They Currently have 2 players,on the roster from their 21 team.

Of their first 7 players this year, 2 were from high school, 2 juncos, and 3 transfers . Players 8-11 -2 are recruits and 2 are transfers.

Their starting team is one recruit, 2 judo and 2 transfers
Obviously, they have established credibility with the transfer portal, and actually signed a four star recruit for next year.

They prove that it can be done in two years.

If Fordham did it, with our much superior facilities and more recent successes than Fordham, why can’t we???
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We can lock this. Needed to go 2/3 on the road. 0-3 takes care of that hope.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Well done, McRam.

Myself, I didn’t think any better than bottom half for both at best.
Thanks. I have an advantage of having to listen to my brother all the time about Fordham basketball. ( Father and brother were alumni of Fordham. ) Have been to Rose Hill many times and pretty much watch them on TV when Rhody is not on.

They have done an excellent job in turning the program around in two years and three coaches in the last three years. If I remember correctly, they went from 2:conference wins in 21to 16-16 last year and their performance this year. They Currently have 2 players,on the roster from their 21 team.

Of their first 7 players this year, 2 were from high school, 2 juncos, and 3 transfers . Players 8-11 -2 are recruits and 2 are transfers.

Their starting team is one recruit, 2 judo and 2 transfers
Obviously, they have established credibility with the transfer portal, and actually signed a four star recruit for next year.

They prove that it can be done in two years.

If Fordham did it, with our much superior facilities and more recent successes than Fordham, why can’t we???
McRam,
Great story. Imagine Fordham lost Nick Honor to Clemson after his Freshman year and Honor now plays for Missouri. Plus lost big center Joel Soriano to St Johns after 2 solid years at Fordham.
Getting Khalid Moore to come to Fordham from Georgia Tech was a win-win for Moore and for Fordham. Being from Archbishop Malloy HS is great and Moore gets to play a year back home.
Kyle Rose is playing very well and enjoyed watching him play defense in his last game. He defense is something all coaches could use as an example for others. Likely playing himself onto the A10 All Defensive team.
Will be a very interesting next 3 weeks as the race for the Top 4 in the A10 wraps up. Being a 1-Bid Conference this year adds to the intrigue of the Top 4 Race and the A10 Tournament in Brooklyn. Not that No At Large Bids is good but it makes for Conference Seeding to be very important and pressure is on all 15 teams to perform now. Nobody can relax thinking they have a bid wrapped up.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The top four seed possibility has, by all reasonable thought, been dead for months. A bottom four seed is however a near certainty at this point. The possibility of last place and the 15th seed is even a plausible outcome. URI has games left with three of the other bottom teams in the A-10 - UMass, @Loyola, and Davidson. A defeat to any one of them would mean URI loses the head to head tiebreaker with that team. The loss of the 2nd leading scorer on what was already a very bad team will likely hurt in these last six games. Can URI avoid the shame and disgrace of finishing last in a fifteen team league? Preventing this embarrassment is the only reasonable goal left for the program this year. Only time will tell if they can do so.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The top four seed possibility has, by all reasonable thought, been dead for months. A bottom four seed is however a near certainty at this point. The possibility of last place and the 15th seed is even a plausible outcome. URI has games left with three of the other bottom teams in the A-10 - UMass, @Loyola, and Davidson. A defeat to any one of them would mean URI loses the head to head tiebreaker with that team. The loss of the 2nd leading scorer on what was already a very bad team will likely hurt in these last six games. Can URI avoid shame and disgrace of finishing last in a fifteen team league? Avoiding this is the only reasonable goal left for the program this year. Only time will tell if they can do so.
I disagree that it's been dead for months. After the back to back wins, including knocking off a preseason favorite in the conference - combined with the logjam from 4-10 at the time - there was a shot. All we had to do was beat 2 very beatable teams at St Joes and George Mason.

But yes, after dropping 3 straight. It is most definitely dead and the plausibility of last place is unfortunately real.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The top four seed possibility has, by all reasonable thought, been dead for months. A bottom four seed is however a near certainty at this point. The possibility of last place and the 15th seed is even a plausible outcome. URI has games left with three of the other bottom teams in the A-10 - UMass, @Loyola, and Davidson. A defeat to any one of them would mean URI loses the head to head tiebreaker with that team. The loss of the 2nd leading scorer on what was already a very bad team will likely hurt in these last six games. Can URI avoid shame and disgrace of finishing last in a fifteen team league? Avoiding this is the only reasonable goal left for the program this year. Only time will tell if they can do so.
I disagree that it's been dead for months. After the back to back wins, including knocking off a preseason favorite in the conference - combined with the logjam from 4-10 at the time - there was a shot. All we had to do was beat 2 very beatable teams at St Joes and George Mason.

But yes, after dropping 3 straight. It is most definitely dead and the plausibility of last place is unfortunately real.
Agree with you Blue Man. Possibility of Top 4 has not been dead for months.
We were 2-5, then won 2 home games beating Dayton and LaSalle to go to 4-5.....that's when you started this thread for Top 4.

Then lost 3 road games to St Joseph's, St Louis and GMU to go to 4-8. Lost Freeman from team. Road games are tough.

4 of 6 remaining games at home
All 6 games are winnable
Team chemistry is huge. Team chemistry just got a major change with Freeman gone. Team chemistry does not show up in the box score but it's big.
Our passing, defense, rebounding, energy and effort should all get a positive jolt.
If Duquesne can win 3 straight and LaSalle can win 4 straight why not us?

URI (4-8) with 6 remaining games with 4 of the 6 at home:
NET - Game
83-Feb 15 VCU **
202-Feb 18 UMASS
217-Feb 22 George Washington
131-Feb 25 AT Fordham **
264-Mar 1 AT Loyola
163-Mar 4 Davidson
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m thinking 3-3 in the last 6
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Updated Monday Feb 20
Race for the Top 4 seeds. Remaining games for the Top 5 current candidates. URI listed as Topic for this Thread.

#1 VCU (11-3) with 4 remaining games:
Feb 7 Dayton ** LOST
Feb 15 AT URI WON
Feb 18 Fordham ** WON

Feb 21 AT St Joseph’s
Feb 24 Richmond
Feb 28 St Louis **
Mar 4 AT George Washington

#2 Dayton (10-4) with 4 remaining games:
Feb 7 AT VCU ** WON
Feb 10 St Louis ** WON
Feb 17 AT Loyola WON

Feb 22 AT UMASS
Feb 25 George Mason**
Feb 28 LaSalle
Mar 3 AT St Louis **

#3 St Louis (10-4) with 4 remaining games:
Feb 7 URI WON
Feb 10 AT Dayton ** LOST
Feb 15 Davidson WON
Feb 18 Duquesne** WON

Feb 21 AT Richmond
Feb 25 Loyola
Feb 28 AT VCU **
Mar 3 Dayton **

#4 Fordham (9-5) with 4 remaining games:
Feb 8 UMASS WON
Feb 11 AT Davidson WON
Feb 15 St Bonaventure WON
Feb 18 AT VCU ** LOST

Feb 22 AT Loyola
Feb 25 URI
Mar 1 AT George Mason**
Mar 4 Duquesne**

#5 Duquesne (8-6) with 4 remaining games
Feb 8 George Mason** WON
Feb 11 St Bonaventure WON
Feb 15 St Joseph's WON
Feb 18 AT St Louis** LOST

Feb 22 AT LaSalle
Feb 26 Davidson
Mar 1 UMASS
Mar 4 AT Fordham**

URI (4-10) with 4 remaining games:
Feb 7 AT St Louis ** LOST
Feb 11 AT George Mason** LOST
Feb 15 VCU ** LOST
Feb 18 UMASS LOST

Feb 22 George Washington
Feb 25 AT Fordham **
Mar 1 AT Loyola
Mar 4 Davidson

** Indicates opponent currently has above .500 record in A10
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Battle for Top 4 Slots (double byes) and Seeding after Wednesdays games

Duquesne @ Fordham on March 4th, last game of the season, could turn out to be a big one for Top 4 Seeding.
62BBF8B9-0CDE-4883-A338-E53B607F2462.png
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI now seems headed for last place. I do not think this team will win another game. A probable loss at Loyola would give the Ramblers the tiebreaker if the teams finish with identical conference records.

Archie really has his hands full in trying to right the ship for this program. The talent level is low and his first year at the helm has been a complete failure.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Totally correct, the main goal of this season was to set the foundation-mission far from accomplished. Grade F.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Teams in the running for Top 4 Double Bye
Who can get hot these last 3 games
AD586292-48BA-4279-9AE4-C038182C109E.png
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Blue Man, I think you forgot to put the 1 before the 4 when you started this thread.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

scine20 wrote: 1 year ago Blue Man, I think you forgot to put the 1 before the 4 when you started this thread.
What a difference a couple of weeks makes...
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Totally correct, the main goal of this season was to set the foundation-mission far from accomplished. Grade F.
I had no expectations this season and really not sure what the goal was.
It was disappointing and I didn't expect us to be quite this bad.
I just feel that Archie wanted to bring in some young players that the staff can develop and establish a culture.

Remember that Archie was away from the game last season and KJ was out for a couple of years.
Also, the last couple seasons of Cox was a downward slide and lowered our program's profile.
So, I didn't expect a bunch of young studs banging on our door to come in.

I am much more concerned about this next upcoming season, which will set the tone going forward.
We also have a new practice facility that will open shortly, so the effort is there.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I am giving the season an F, for the results even if you had no expectations this has to be about as bad as could be. But to me the real F is the lack of tangible development and something to look at and say we are on the right track and next year will be better, or at least trending in the right direction. Hey next year things may turn around better than expected and that season gets an A. But so far this season is an F for me, as my only expectation would be progress and I don’t think that was achieved.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Updated Friday Feb 24
Race for the Top 4 seeds. Remaining games for the Top 5 current candidates. URI listed as Topic for this Thread.
  • Fordham has moved past St Louis for 3rd. Both teams are 10-5 but Fordham beat St Louis in their only scheduled head to head game
  • George Mason and George Washington are both 8-7
  • All of the Top 5 teams have 2 of their 3 remaining games at home
#1 VCU (12-3) with 3 remaining games:
Feb 24 Richmond
Feb 28 St Louis **
Mar 4 AT George Washington**

#2 Dayton (11-4) with 3 remaining games:
Feb 25 George Mason**
Feb 28 LaSalle
Mar 3 AT St Louis **

#3 Fordham (10-5) with 3 remaining games:
Feb 25 URI
Mar 1 AT George Mason**
Mar 4 Duquesne**

#4 St Louis (10-5) with 3 remaining games:
Feb 25 Loyola
Feb 28 AT VCU **
Mar 3 Dayton **

#5 Duquesne (9-6) with 3 remaining games
Feb 26 Davidson
Mar 1 UMASS
Mar 4 AT Fordham**

URI (4-11) with 3 remaining games:
Feb 25 AT Fordham **
Mar 1 AT Loyola
Mar 4 Davidson

Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Updated Friday Feb 24

#1 VCU (12-3) with 3 remaining games:
Feb 24 Richmond
Feb 28 St Louis **

#2 Dayton (11-4) with 3 remaining games:
Feb 25 George Mason**
Feb 28 LaSalle
Mar 3 AT St Louis **

#3 Fordham (10-5) with 3 remaining games:
Feb 25 URI
Mar 1 AT George Mason**
Mar 4 Duquesne**

#4 St Louis (10-5) with 3 remaining games:
Feb 25 Loyola
Feb 28 AT VCU **
Mar 3 Dayton **

#5 Duquesne (9-6) with 3 remaining games
Feb 26 Davidson
Mar 1 UMASS
Mar 4 AT Fordham**

URI (4-11) with 3 remaining games:
Feb 25 AT Fordham **
Mar 1 AT Loyola
Mar 4 Davidson

I think VCU holds onto the #1 seed.
I think Fordham, looking at their remaining schedule remains in the top 4.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Certain bottom four seed even with two games left to play. Over 95% probability of being the 14th or 15th seed. Rhody now becoming an A-10 PIG round regular participant.

Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

When we flame out, we do it spectacularly!
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago When we flame out, we do it spectacularly!
From my 45 years of following URI hoops, it is typically either feast or famine with little in between. It seems the program either wins or loses 20 or more games most seasons. Peaks and valleys are the norm.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Updated Monday Feb 27- Final Week
Race for the Top 4 seeds. Remaining games for the Top 7 current candidates. URI listed as Topic for this Thread.

#1 VCU (13-3) with 2 remaining games:
Feb 28 St Louis **

#2 Fordham (11-5) with 2 remaining games:
Mar 1 AT George Mason**
Mar 4 Duquesne**

#3 Dayton (11-5) with 2 remaining games:
Feb 28 LaSalle
Mar 3 AT St Louis **

#4 St Louis (11-5) with 2 remaining games:
Feb 28 AT VCU **
Mar 3 Dayton **

#5 Duquesne (9-7) with 2 remaining games
Mar 1 UMASS
Mar 4 AT Fordham**

#6 George Mason (9-7) with 2 remaining games
Mar 1 Fordham**
Mar 4 AT Richmond

#7 George Washington (9-7) with 2 remaining games
Mar 1 AT Davidson
Mar 4 VCU**

URI (4-12) with 2 remaining games:
Mar 1 AT Loyola
Mar 4 Davidson

Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The big battle for the basement is Wednesday - URI at Loyola.
0 x
SimpleJack
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SimpleJack »

When Blueman created this post I definitely felt the optimism at the time, being 4-5 in conference. Who would have thought we wouldn’t win another game from that point on. It’s been rough no doubt, but I will say I do feel like we have been decently competitive for what our record is. For as many losses as we have, we don’t get run out of the gym very often. Not giving anyone a pass, just trying to look for some silver linings.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The big battle for the basement is Wednesday - URI at Loyola.
key matchup...national tv
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The big battle for the basement is Wednesday - URI at Loyola.
Most important will be the attendance
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Most important will be the attendance
Yes...but, what kind of attendance? In person, sold tickets, fabrication, guesstimate, pre-ordained...?
Pretty sure people get 'wound up' about that, right? :lol: :lol:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m tuning in for sure
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Updated Thursday March 2 - 1 game left for all 7 teams in contention
Race for the Top 4 seeds. URI listed as Topic for this Thread.

Schedule makers did great to have:
  • #2 Dayton AT #4 St Louis
  • #3 Fordham hosting #5 Duquesne

#1 VCU (14-3)

#2 Dayton (12-5)
Mar 3 AT St Louis **

#3 Fordham (11-6)
Mar 4 Duquesne**

#4 St Louis (11-6)
Mar 3 Dayton **

#5 Duquesne (10-7)
Mar 4 AT Fordham**

#6 George Mason (10-7)
Mar 4 AT Richmond

#7 George Washington (10-7)
Mar 4 VCU**

URI (5-12)
Mar 4 Davidson

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I'd like to point out that in my scenario that is now in the "couldn't be more wrong" camp - 10-8 would've had us in the mix.

Had we made the shots against StL, Fordham, and GW - and VCU missed theirs at the buzzer - we'd be 9-8 and Fordham/StL would be 10-7 while we'd be tied/ahead of GW with the same record.

But if I had wheels I'd be a wagon. We won't be the 4th seed but maybe we get to play them next Thursday. Stranger things have happened!
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL