2/22 | George Washington | 7:00PM (YurVIew/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/22 | George Washington | 7:00PM (YurVIew/ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhody15 »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago Brayon freeman is also back to watch another game versus GW. I wonder which team he is routing for lmao jk.
Sat about 20 feet away from him.

He was tucked away in the corner, sitting by himself.

Looks legitimately depressed and sad. Truly truly feel bad for him.

Whether it’s family issues or whatnot, he’s still a 20/21 year old kid.

Hope he gets on his feet and succeeds at another school.
7 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

nchof wrote: 1 year ago
Here we go again… fucking hell
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Down 4 in OT

DAMNIT
"Bad teams find a way to lose" - Dad
I'm assuming you meant "Everyone's Dad" ?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago A bad night for URI hoops. I hate this winter
dude....we have had "no", "zero", "none" snow on the ground and winter is more done than remaining...each week the days are getting about 20 minutes longer.... This winter has been phe-nom-enal.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago 4v5 with Samb on the floor. He’s terrible.
To be honest, it's 2v5 when you add Carey and Bassy.
The Carey slander is absolutely pathetic.

He’s literally second on the team in scoring with 10 a game.

Do not ever put Carey and Thomas in the same sentence.

Carey is one of two players who has any type of offensive game.

Leggett is the best player on the team, but even he can’t do some things that Carey can do athletically.

Skying for rebounds, quick drives for layups, and pull up/turn arounds.
Agreed - don’t hate on Carey. He would be a good piece on a team if there were any other pieces besides Ish. Freak athlete has a place on a good team.

Also totally scrapped watching this game tonight, went to the BC game instead. Way more fun team to watch which is pathetic to say.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Down 4 in OT

DAMNIT
"Bad teams find a way to lose" - Dad
I'm assuming you meant "Everyone's Dad" ?
Sure, everyone's Dad who happens to be into sports I guess...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Oh my...
lol....ummm....whaaaat?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Double nut punch of a night. Both men and women came back from double digit deficits to lose in OT.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Double nut punch of a night. Both men and women came back from double digit deficits to lose in OT.
Damn.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
damram wrote: 1 year ago We give up way too many layups.
Yes. Now I am not well versed in packline defense scheme. However, I would like to see a stat of how many breakdowns there have been all season that result in easy layups, weak side breakdowns that lead to easy hoops.
Off the top of my head I'd say 1,398. And tonight it was about 37.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Oh my...
lol....ummm....whaaaat?
I'm just gonna say, his offense is pretty laughably bad. You can make all the excuses you want about him being injured and blah blah blah. Him and Samb aren't moving this team forward.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I don't understand. I love the French. They gave us fries, wine, kisses, and ticklers.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I’m sorry, but Archie’s TO strategy is absolutely abysmal.

Tie game, 20 seconds left, two timeouts, with the ball.

Don’t call a timeout just to let Leggett dribble around for 17 seconds and chuck a 23 footer?

Call a TO, get Leggett going to the hoop to maybe draw a foul or kick it out to someone.

If this teams needs “coaching” late game like everyone said after the VCU game (I stand by my Opinion he shouldn’t have call one that game, these are two completely different situations), then why not call a TO tonight?

Just very very poor late game decisions.
I'm completely fine with it. He called the play on the sidelines. He had Malik pick at the top of the key, so hopefully, Ish could go against Edwards instead of Adams, which is what happened. We have one A10-level player. You me and every single player, coach, and fan on GW knew that the ball is going to Ish if we call a timeout. We didn't allow GW the chance to design a play to get the ball out of Ish's hands... I think he made the right call, and we just missed it. I think Ish made the wrong decision not driving. I'm surprised he didn't as he was incredible all night yet again.

Here are some highlights of Ish.

Good points on the TO strategy, Stevey. I agree with your take.

Coaches aren’t robots and variable elements come into play each game and with each situation within games (though there may be similar situations from one game to the next and so on).

I do understand the TO strategy questions and doubts, however; especially when we are ignorant of many of the elements that go into the decision. That said, I do not obsess over asking such questions with Archie as I did with DC because Archie is more successful and experienced and therefore, has much more credibility with me than DC did when HC here. Nothing personal against DC; he just did not have the experience or track record of success needed for me to give him the same level of credibility as I give to Archie at this time.

Finally, thanks for the video compilation above. Much appreciated.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago
Watching this team is not fun.
That's because the team has to grind to compete with our talent level. Ish, Bassy and Malik are busting their asses on both ends of the court. I appreciate their effort. Carey and Alex are the best of the rest. It;s not pretty. If it wasn't for Malik's start, the game would have been a blow out. Admittedly, I was focusing on the URI WBB game.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Oh my...
lol....ummm....whaaaat?
I'm just gonna say, his offense is pretty laughably bad. You can make all the excuses you want about him being injured and blah blah blah. Him and Samb aren't moving this team forward.
Certainly not at the moment - I’ll give them the summer to go to a big man school or something before I completely write them off. Neither was supposed to be counted on being the guy this year, that was Bilau’s spot.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The Morning After Report. Wishing Martin the best in whatever he does next. The Martin name at URI will last. Thanks Jalen for bringing a jolt of athleticism to the roster. Best going forward. Giving my Senior Nite tickets away. Just gotta take break from watching this team. Gonna find something else to do with my spectator cash that nite. Out.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

How about a timeout whenever we go 3 minutes without a successful possession?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I’m sorry, but Archie’s TO strategy is absolutely abysmal.

Don’t call a timeout just to let Leggett dribble around for 17 seconds and chuck a 23 footer?

Call a TO, get Leggett going to the hoop to maybe draw a foul or kick it out to someone.

If this teams needs “coaching” late game like everyone said after the VCU game (I stand by my Opinion he shouldn’t have call one that game, these are two completely different situations), then why not call a TO tonight?

I'm completely fine with it. He called the play on the sidelines. He had Malik pick at the top of the key, so hopefully, Ish could go against Edwards instead of Adams, which is what happened. We have one A10-level player. You me and every single player, coach, and fan on GW knew that the ball is going to Ish if we call a timeout. We didn't allow GW the chance to design a play to get the ball out of Ish's hands... I think he made the right call, and we just missed it. I think Ish made the wrong decision not driving. I'm surprised he didn't as he was incredible all night yet again.

Thanks Stevey for the Ish video.
With all the downs this season, his play and hard work have been special.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

On the plus side, there is now less than two weeks left of more suffering and anguish for this season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What does this mean?
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
What does this mean?
He's saying he hears/reads everyone criticizing his play and that he is ultimately going to prove the haters wrong.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

What does this mean?
He's saying he hears/reads everyone criticizing his play and that he is ultimately going to prove the haters wrong.
What does BET ! mean?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

What’s the problem with Alex tweet exactly?

Prove me wrong, frankly I like it.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What does this mean?
What does BET ! mean?
It’s slang….. for your purposes read BET as meaning OK in this context.

I too like the tweet and see no issue with it tho I haven’t seen much hate for him or any of our players online
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

What does BET ! mean?
It’s slang….. for your purposes read BET as meaning OK in this context.

I too like the tweet and see no issue with it tho I haven’t seen much hate for him or any of our players online
Corroborating bar's post with what Urban Dictionary says
Attachments
Bet.jpg
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I’ve asked you twice already and you keep ghosting me lol. Who is the 3rd shooter coming in next year? I know Dubsky and Estevez.
Did we ever find out who that 3rd shooter is? :o
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If you hate someone for the way he plays basketball, it is you that has a problem.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

What's the problem here? This is legit the EXACT attitude you want on this team. Pretty sure it's the exact attitude Archie is trying to get into his player's heads. For the old heads, this is basically saying:

"I hear a lot of people saying that I am not good at basketball in various ways. I hear everything they are saying. I am going to internalize this hatred and use it as a fire to continue to work on myself as a player and prove all of these doubters wrong. I am going to work hard enough to be very good in a couple of years and I will laugh at everyone who doubted me."

So - you have a problem why?

This is legit what Tom Brady says all the time, just with current 20 year old verbiage.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
What's the problem here? This is legit the EXACT attitude you want on this team. Pretty sure it's the exact attitude Archie is trying to get into his player's heads. For the old heads, this is basically saying:

"I hear a lot of people saying that I am not good at basketball in various ways. I hear everything they are saying. I am going to internalize this hatred and use it as a fire to continue to work on myself as a player and prove all of these doubters wrong. I am going to work hard enough to be very good in a couple of years and I will laugh at everyone who doubted me."

This is legit what Tom Brady says all the time, just with current 20 year old verbiage.
I don’t have a problem with it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have no problem with it, just trying to understand what he means.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Maybe it is just my age or generation, but I totally give up in trying to figure out what these kids mean in many of their tweets. I just can't look into their heads to know what they are thinking.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Maybe it is just my age or generation, but I totally give up in trying to figure out what these kids mean in many of their tweets. I just can't look into their heads to know what they are thinking.
Same here. Just trying to accurately get it, that simple.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Good lord, I dread to think how the youth of America will speak 20 years from now.
0 x
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago Double nut punch of a night. Both men and women came back from double digit deficits to lose in OT.
Now double nut punch I get.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 year ago I watched the whole PC/Uconn game. It was nice to see such a well-played game and a packed house. It seems like the UConn kids behaved fairly well with the $2 beers. I’m sure that’s the last thing that the RC would ever do.
Hey...they did have $2 dogs from an hour before the game, til it started.
That's kinda the same, except for it's really nothing like $2 beers at all...
Lines were short too. Got my dogs just before the 6:45 deadline as I almost forgot. They told me the cut off was firm and the price would go up to $5.
Would love to see the $2 🍺 beer
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

~ from the eyes of a student ~

1. It’s not fun to watch this team
2. You could literally do anything else
3. Exactly, why would I spend it watching an 8-18 basketball team
4. Obligation? I pay the school $10,000s a year
5. I wish there were 0 games left. We’ll try again in November
6. Touche. But highlights exist for a reason
7. This new head coach of ours hasn’t exactly done anything to win me over
8. There’s 100 other better college basketball games on TV tonight
9. No one, I mean no one, is going to the game to listen to the band
You pretty much nailed it. I was a student last year and probably missed 5 home games in my entire 4 years at URI. I don’t think I’d waste my time watching this team if I was living on campus right now. They’re terrible. Insufferable to watch. The student section sucks unless it’s packed and everyone is standing. We had a lot of that in 2019/20, then it’s gotten worse every year. COVID didn’t help the attendance, but also the team hasn’t impressed since then….
So, what I'm hearing, hopefully...is that you are in for even more season tix next year? (Kinda doesn't sound like it?)
Also sounds like it doesn't much matter if students are in the end zone behind the basket seats or in the court side seats. They ain't coming until this team starts winning. Makes sense. That student section has been pretty empty all year with just a couple exceptions.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago Xavier munford is in the building with his brother and his son. On the baseline.
Nice to see him at the game
One of Hurley's many great recruiting finds
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I have no problem with it, just trying to understand what he means.
Same.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Watching Brendon Adams, wonder what he would have done here. Wasn’t he committed then followed Dan? Lost track of the trail.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago Brayon freeman is also back to watch another game versus GW. I wonder which team he is routing for lmao jk.
Sat about 20 feet away from him.

He was tucked away in the corner, sitting by himself.

Looks legitimately depressed and sad. Truly truly feel bad for him.

Whether it’s family issues or whatnot, he’s still a 20/21 year old kid.

Hope he gets on his feet and succeeds at another school.
Sorry, I do not feel sorry for him. The overused expression of you make your bed……

If he learns from this experience, good for him and will wish him well
But, nothing to feel sorry for someone who commits to being a team player and working his ass for,the coach and then reneges on his commitment . A loser until he changes !
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Watching Brendon Adams, wonder what he would have done here. Wasn’t he committed then followed Dan? Lost track of the trail.
That's correct
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Watching Brendon Adams, wonder what he would have done here. Wasn’t he committed then followed Dan? Lost track of the trail.
Looking at his line, the biggest change has been almost doubling his 3PA while also improving from a roughly 27 percent shooter to 40(!) percent this year. It's not unusual for players to have one year "blips" in 3PT percentage before reverting to the mean, but because Adams is a senior, this will probably be attributed to an improvement in his game.

URI had its own version of this in Parfait Bitee. He shot about 33 percent from 3 from freshman thru junior year, shot 51.2 percent from 3 as a senior, and then in a three-year professional career, maxed out at 36 percent and finished with a rate of 34.3 percent.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He was blah at UConn, and slightly better last season at GW.

This is his 5th year and he’s finally broken out.

Amir Harris, also a former commit, played last night too.

He has been very unproductive in his career at Nebraska along with GW.
0 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
I don't understand. I love the French. They gave us fries, wine, kisses, and ticklers.
That reminds me, I have a nice Parisian baguette from Belmonts in my freezer I need to use.

I think the French gave us wonderful things. They also helped us beat the Red Coats.
1 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago The Morning After Report. Wishing Martin the best in whatever he does next. The Martin name at URI will last. Thanks Jalen for bringing a jolt of athleticism to the roster. Best going forward. Giving my Senior Nite tickets away. Just gotta take break from watching this team. Gonna find something else to do with my spectator cash that nite. Out.
I don't know why everyone thinks Carey is done lol, Hes a junior
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Mattrams94 wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago The Morning After Report. Wishing Martin the best in whatever he does next. The Martin name at URI will last. Thanks Jalen for bringing a jolt of athleticism to the roster. Best going forward. Giving my Senior Nite tickets away. Just gotta take break from watching this team. Gonna find something else to do with my spectator cash that nite. Out.
Been in college 5 years, could choose to move on.

I believe Archie said at beginning of season that this would be his last year here.

However, things could obviously change. I won't be surprised either way.

Malik was honored last year at senior night and came back, so if Calen is also honored next week, I wouldn't take anything from it until there's an official announcement.
2 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Archie has said about 10000 times that they view him and Malik as seniors.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

Been in college 5 years, could choose to move on.

I believe Archie said at beginning of season that this would be his last year here.

However, things could obviously change. I won't be surprised either way.

Malik was honored last year at senior night and came back, so if Calen is also honored next week, I wouldn't take anything from it until there's an official announcement.
I was just saying because it was announced that only martin is being honored at senior night, carey is listed as a redshirt junior
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Someone like Hunter Dean would be nice too, ya know someone that can catch the ball near the basket and put it in
I have been saying this for years, big kid that can catch, has footwork in post moves etc etc. I get blow back here that those kids not grow on trees etc etc. Fine, the landscape has kids in programs here, there. Why not us? I have seen more than enough. Keep Ish, recruit to stay. Backup the truck and everyone else is gone, nothing there to save. Nothing. Edit, the other type blow back( big kid) I get is stuff like 'the game is not played like that anymore……etc'
I think it's ridiculous to give up on every player but Ish. I've seen plenty of kids who didn't do jack shit their first season or two and ended up being good players.

I thought Weston had arguably his most complete game yesterday. Usually, we see some nice offensive highlights, but he played good defense, had a nice block, moved well on the offensive end, and battled on the boards. He had yet another athletic finish that not many players on this team can do. I still love his upside.

Bilau has barely played, but when he did, If you couldn't see that he has a solid offensive game, Idk what you were watching.

Rory and Alex have had moments. Alex is much better on the defensive end and is slowly improving on the offensive end. He also clearly wants to get better, and I love his attitude. I think Rory will be one of those players that can be a solid role piece by junior year: nice Iq and a nice stroke. I am not giving up on him, either.

Samb looks lost out there. Some guys get worn down and regress as the season continues in their first year playing at this level. I don't think he's this bad, but he's been BAD. He's probably better suited a level down.

Bassy could have a solid career at a lower major. He has tons of heart and he's a heck of a passer. I think Cam Estevez has too much talent on the offensive end to sit him over Bassy. If Bassy stays, I could see him playing over Cam early on, but he'll take over as the season progresses.

Archie said Lou wouldn't be a piece this year, but it's still surprising that he doesn't see the floor at this stage. If you can't see the floor on this team, you'll probably not be an option moving forward. I understand if he moves on, which is sad because he seems to have some tools and is a great kid.

If I had to pick who I may want back next year.. Ish, Weston, Bilau, Alex, Foumena, and Rory... Unless Archie lands one of those juco bigs, Alex and Rory will likely need to move on—at least one of them. I still think Foumena will be a big part of our frontcourt eventually.

I'm not saying this is a good roster. It's not. WE NEED UPGRADES BADLY.. However, I do like the potential of some players. Under good coaching, players get better. I still believe we have an excellent staff, and our players will continue to develop. It won't happen overnight..

I agree that Archie has a ton of work to do, and he knows that. If I had to give him a grade for this year. D

He has to land a big fish this off-season. At least one program-changing EC Matthews type get. I hope next season is our exciting rebuilding year where we surprise some teams and have exciting prospects to build upon.
Last edited by steveystuds06 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING