Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by RF1 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago The line to go through the metal detectors is literally 40 yards long right now.
There are 1500 people in line.
Don't worry. There will be very short entry waits next year and no process changes will even be needed to bring it about. You can expect much lower attendance next season given what has transpired the last four months. The Athletic Dept was able to use the excitement surrounding the hiring of Archie as an inducement to sell tickets for 2022-23. There will be no such gimmick available to push next year. Tyler and the rest of the crew at the ticket office will be hard pressed to market and sell tickets. I expect a big drop in attendance.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago One thing I've been meaning to ask....how do you guys in the 100 sections like those seats? I sat in them for the women's game and by the end of the game, I had a sore ass! I mean, great view, but they have to be the most uncomfortable seats in the house. Ok, there's my bitch for the day. But really, they are not comfortable.
Love them, no aches no pains(except the product on floor) Love seeing interactions over the years of all the coaches, players, refs. Sample yesterday after a late game TO, when players went to floor, Archie approached Ish, and got in his hear, could not hear, but Archie was not telling him where they were going for ice cream. Upon return to bench, during live action Archie took two trips down the entire bench and again was clearly pissed as he spoke to players.
Side note, I would gladly give up those seats(105)if the students are moved to court side.
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago The line to go through the metal detectors is literally 40 yards long right now.
Don't worry. There will be very short entry waits next year and no process changes will even be needed to bring it about. You can expect much lower attendance next season given what has transpired the last four months. The Athletic Dept was able to use the excitement surrounding the hiring of Archie as an inducement to sell tickets for 2022-23. There will be no such gimmick available to push next year. Tyler and the rest of the crew at the ticket office will be hard pressed to market and sell tickets. I expect a big drop in attendance.
I think that's wrong. With a full year/cycle to get after it... it's gonna be much better next year... Portalpalooza, baby!

Roster like a poker hand, "Dealer, I'll take 5"
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago One thing I've been meaning to ask....how do you guys in the 100 sections like those seats? I sat in them for the women's game and by the end of the game, I had a sore ass! I mean, great view, but they have to be the most uncomfortable seats in the house. Ok, there's my bitch for the day. But really, they are not comfortable.
Love them, no aches no pains(except the product on floor) Love seeing interactions over the years of all the coaches, players, refs. Sample yesterday after a late game TO, when players went to floor, Archie approached Ish, and got in his hear, could not hear, but Archie was not telling him where they were going for ice cream. Upon return to bench, during live action Archie took two trips down the entire bench and again was clearly pissed as he spoke to players.
Side note, I would gladly give up those seats(105)if the students are moved to court side.
If the students were moved now, there would be a lot of empty seats on the sidelines.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
If the students were moved now, there would be a lot of empty seats on the sidelines.
Hmmm....which is the worse look? Empty end zone or empty sideline?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Which would also be a bad look on TV.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Financially, an empty sideline.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Financially how about we charge the people in the student's seats on the sidelines a personal seat license to cover that portion of the bond? Why should students pay for seats they're not allowed in?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Financially how about we charge the people in the student's seats on the sidelines a personal seat license to cover that portion of the bond? Why should students pay for seats they're not allowed in?
I know this is an issue, but I don't see the students ever getting those seats back.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Losing by 30
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The re-build begins next season. URI should lock in ticket prices for 10 years to those who commit to the great seats left by the pink hats who abandoned the program in their hour of need. The ship needs a new captain. Archie will return the program to greatness. God help us should he leave and we promote another assistant and give the AD a raise for balancing the budget.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The re-build begins next season. URI should lock in ticket prices for 10 years to those who commit to the great seats left by the pink hats who abandoned the program in their hour of need. The ship needs a new captain. Archie will return the program to greatness. God help us should he leave and we promote another assistant and give the AD a raise for balancing the budget.
I probably shouldn’t engage, but what the hell. If next year is the re-build, I guess this season has been the demolition and tear down?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago ... If next year is the re-build, I guess this season has been the demolition and tear down?
Since you opined as a question, here's my answer. I think that was last year. This year is more cleaning up the destruction created by incompetent program management. Until we recognize the real problem, it will continue to repeat itself.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago ... If next year is the re-build, I guess this season has been the demolition and tear down?
Since you opined as a question, here's my answer. I think that was last year. This year is more cleaning up the destruction created by incompetent program management. Until we recognize the real problem, it will continue to repeat itself.
What the HELL did Thorr do to you?
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

What the HELL did Thorr do to you?
I think you may have hit the nail on the head, 78. Has to be something personal. I don’t get his repetitive digs at Thorr, otherwise.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Which would also be a bad look on TV.
what channel are they on?
1 x
:lol:
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I keep asking the same question but never seem to get an answer.

Why are all those baseline seats across from the Rhody bench missing and the space dedicated to the press?

This makes no sense to me on many levels. Can anyone explain this???
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I keep asking the same question but never seem to get an answer.

Why are all those baseline seats across from the Rhody bench missing and the space dedicated to the press?

Can’t explain the decision making there. What is unsettling to me there often are empty seats there, or seats/standing area for Athletic Dept staff to come and go. Like some other arenas, those press/media could go on baselines, once the students are re-located(doubt that will happen)But like many arenas, URI does things differently.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I keep asking the same question but never seem to get an answer.

There's no seating there because that's the load in area for events. Because they can't have seating there like the rest of the 100 level they've turned it into the press area
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

You mean the destruction caused by the previous coach that you insisted we give an extension to? You are too much 72.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
You mean the destruction caused by the previous coach that you insisted we give an extension to? You are too much 72.
Thor extended DC's contract AND buy-out one year when he planned on firing him. DC was unable to recruit and players began looking elsewhere. This is why we have an awful team this year. I was opposed to DC's hiring. It would not have caused a bigger buy-out had Thor fired him rather than extending his contract. I wanted the best outcome for the MBB program not the worst outcome. I believe in paying the position and hiring a coach who is worth the pay.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Can’t explain the decision making there. What is unsettling to me there often are empty seats there, or seats/standing area for Athletic Dept staff to come and go. Like some other arenas, those press/media could go on baselines, once the students are re-located(doubt that will happen)But like many arenas, URI does things differently.

Because the people making these decisions are stupid idiots - man they are stupid fucks

Fucking Black shower curtain

cas Rhody requires so much press

makes zero aense

Been saying this for years myself

Put the press where all the other ncaa teams put them my goodness
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Thor extended DC's contract AND buy-out one year when he planned on firing him. DC was unable to recruit and players began looking elsewhere. This is why we have an awful team this year. I was opposed to DC's hiring. It would not have caused a bigger buy-out had Thor fired him rather than extending his contract. I wanted the best outcome for the MBB program not the worst outcome. I believe in paying the position and hiring a coach who is worth the pay.
You advocated for hiring Dave Cox for more money right out of the gate. You were incensed that first time head coach Dave Cox wasn't making as much as 2x A10 champion and 8 year head coach Dan Hurley was immediately. You leveraged your "experience" managing a McDonalds as why Thorr should let you negotiate contracts.

You advocated for extending Dave Cox every year and raising his salary as recently as last year.

His contract was extended in the midst of covid - so he wasn't as much of a lame duck as you claimed.

Everything you type is either the ramblings of a moron, an incoherent drunkard or an intentional troll.

You're either the best troll ever by being intentionally obtuse, or someone that the state should have institutionalized since you're so insane. You either intentionally gaslight and rewrite your own history, or you really are this dumb.

You make this board a worse place as a troll, and if this is actually who you are then I can only imagine how terrible the world you've created for you and those around you is.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

There's no seating there because that's the load in area for events. Because they can't have seating there like the rest of the 100 level they've turned it into the press area
This is incorrect. The seats ARE available there (this will make ECR even more irate), but are not extended/unfolded for basketball so we have a place for media. It's not that we don't have seats to put there. We choose to put media there.

They are temporary/folding style seats in that corner -- even up into Sec 211 -- so large trucks can back into the event floor. The "ECR Shower Curtain" covers up the folded rows of seats of Sec 110.

Here is the seating chart for maximum seats:
fullHouse.jpg
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

GOOOOOOOO FUUUUCCCCKKKK YYOOOOOOUUUUUURRRRSSSSEEEELLLLLFFFFFFF
you lying, trolling, sack of shit.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Question, does that belong in the Dan Yorke thread? :lol:
6 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Yes, indeed it does belong in that thread as well, and if only BlueMan would have mentioned Ant in that response, we could be at 20 pages for Ant Harris!
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

If Dan Yorke had a Cameo I would pay for that for 72.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

This is incorrect. The seats ARE available there (this will make ECR even more irate), but are not extended/unfolded for basketball so we have a place for media. It's not that we don't have seats to put there. We choose to put media there.

They are temporary/folding style seats in that corner -- even up into Sec 211 -- so large trucks can back into the event floor. The "ECR Shower Curtain" covers up the folded rows of seats of Sec 110.

Here is the seating chart for maximum seats:fullHouse.jpg

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Lol.. the black curtain seems even dumber...now that the proverbial curtain has been pulled back..
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The press area takes away 3 rows of 29 seats per row for a total of 87 lost prime seat locations.

Photos from a WBB game.

Usually there are multiple empty seat locations in the press area. Sometimes Football HC Jim Fleming sits there.

Prime seats for Rhody Fans to sit in plus give the team more cheering from nearby.

Press area takes up more than half the length of the full court. Seems media people could easily be relocated.

8B0B2E9A-E17F-4B70-87F5-1FB0B837AB54.jpeg
587FD67C-2525-403B-822A-3CB2848FC188.jpeg
2 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago

ATP you are mistaken there are no seating risers there.

That map is not even close to scale for those sections and is made for a concert. Those riser seats are not there and do not exist because of the load in riser as RhodyRam02 mentioned. It's always been that way from the original building design. Most of section 111 and 110 in the middle there start with row D (go to the pick your seat map on the ticketing site https://uritix.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomm ... global-uri).

This bball map is closer.
https://gorhody.com/common/controls/ima ... _QVmgp.jpg

You can literally go down to the media section of the floor during an upcoming game and ask someone or just look under the black drapes. Those seats end there and unfortunately always have.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago The press area takes away 3 rows of 29 seats per row for a total of 87 lost prime seat locations.

Photos from a WBB game.

Usually there are multiple empty seat locations in the press area. Sometimes Football HC Jim Fleming sits there.

Prime seats for Rhody Fans to sit in plus give the team more cheering from nearby.

Press area takes up more than half the length of the full court. Seems media people could easily be relocated.

That is an enormous amount of prime real estate wasted. Not to mention reducing revenue from ticket sales.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I’ve almost always had seats on the west side, so those pictures really surprise me actually.
That configuration is butt-ugly, AND cost-ineffective.
If they can move students to generate money, why can’t they move the press?
Seems like a no-brainer.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The business analogy is reducing the sales force to overcome declining revenue. We need a TSA Pre line.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago

My apologies, I thought that was all for the unloading area
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago The press area takes away 3 rows of 29 seats per row for a total of 87 lost prime seat locations.

Photos from a WBB game.

WHAT A MESS
CRACKER JACK D-3 SETUP

BUNCH OF IDIOTS W THAT SETUP DESIGN
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

There's only one issue: the quality of the team on the floor. The rest of this is just noise.
9 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago There's only one issue: the quality of the team on the floor. The rest of this is just noise.
100% agree. Once the team is consistently a top competitor, making a push to get that section of seating adjusted will have more legs. Along with everything else.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago There's only one issue: the quality of the team on the floor. The rest of this is just noise.
Win and the world wins with you etc.

When the program creates a demand for more premium seats, seats will magically appear there.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

we are talking about the crappy black shower curtain section and this is the "issues and upgrades" part of the message board

CRACKER JACK

somehow only URI needs this stupid press section vs the top programs in the country

just shows the people making these decisions are idiots
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

So, what are the options available in the RC to relocate those folks?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago I’ve almost always had seats on the west side, so those pictures really surprise me actually.
Seems like a no-brainer.
Because not enough people care over there it seems like
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago So, what are the options available in the RC to relocate those folks?
umm... where every other programs puts the press people ?!?!

i don't know
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
100% agree. Once the team is consistently a top competitor, making a push to get that section of seating adjusted will have more legs. Along with everything else.
As soon as every former coach has a "top competitor" team, they have left.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago I’ve almost always had seats on the west side, so those pictures really surprise me actually.
Seems like a no-brainer.
That press area should be turned into 3 or 4 rows of student section. Period. Surround the court with students on three sides. They took away behind the benches because it got nasty, fine. I hate that, but whatever. Fox the mistake and get it loud and raucous in the center of the court again.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Wrinkled black curtain aside, there's still no Wifi!
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This present talk about the press seats is so inane. There have literally been thousands of empty seats at just about every home game this season. If these had been given to students this past year, they would have been empty most of the time. Giving them to the buying public would not have changed things much either as there are a lot of good available sideline seats already not being bought and used. Furthermore, this item should be very far down the list of discussion topics with the myriad of far more important issues that this program must address first. The most critical issue that this program faces right now is finding a way to consistently win games. This is the third straight losing season and it is having an effect on fan and student interest. The hope and promise of a new coach was used to promote ticket sales this past season. The job selling tickets next year will be even tougher and the new coach gimmick can no longer be used. Archie failed to bring in the necessary talent and did not develop a team that was improving and growing for the future. This entire season ended up being an exercise in futility that just further set back success another full year.
6 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago This present talk about the press seats is so inane. There have literally been thousands of empty seats at just about every home game this season. If these had been given to students this past year, they would have been empty most of the time. Giving them to the buying public would not have changed things much either as there are a lot of good available sideline seats already not being bought and used. Furthermore, this item should be very far down the list of discussion topics with the myriad of far more important issues that this program must address first. The most critical issue that this program faces right now is finding a way to consistently win games. This is the third straight losing season and it is having an effect on fan and student interest. The hope and promise of a new coach was used to promote ticket sales this past season. The job selling tickets next year will be even tougher and the new coach gimmick can no longer be used. Archie failed to bring in the necessary talent and did not develop a team that was improving and growing for the future. This entire season ended up being an exercise in futility that just further set back success another full year.
All true. But we can also separate out the physical setup of the building/seating as this thread is all about "issues and upgrades" related to the Ryan Center itself. I think it's two separate discussions, and fair to talk about in the context of this thread.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I think if we're laying out the issues with the Ryan Center in order of importance to the fan experience (since we're all aware that the team needs to get better but that's a separate topic).

NEEDS:

1)WiFi. Sorry. In 2023 this is actually a huge deal. With the way everything is set up - access stats (usually obscured by ads), see replays (duh), twitter updates, sportsbetting, connection to the outside world...etc. This is the #1 must-fix for next season. Maybe the students have better access being on the school's WiFi than the visitors do. For the rest of the fans (that spend the money) - If we're all going to sit through another year of rebuilding and growth - you can't expect anyone to go back to 1992 and watch a poor product on the floor. NEED the WiFi fixed. Need it yesterday.

2) Sound. Jesus, last night was the worst yet. The volume isn't modulated - I have no idea why they have a sound engineer in the building but he sucks or he's deaf or both. I shouldn't have to SCREAM to the people next to me to have a conversation when there's a break in the action. FIX IT. Holy shit it's abysmal that we have these mickey mouse problems but we do. WTF. JUST TURN THE FREAKING VOLUME DOWN. IT'S NOT THAT HARD.

Those are the 2 biggest "musts" for me. Here's the "you'd think we'd do this, but we just struggle" list of things that'd I'd love more attention paid to once we solve the above.

Replays. I get it. Whatever - you need to pay an extra person in the control room. You can't show the live TV feed because of ads or something. Fine. BUT JUST DO IT. LITERALLY EVERYONE DOES THIS BUT US. WTF.

Press seating. Yeah - I mean I guess it's an eye-sore and whatever, but considering we haven't had a non-PC sellout in like 5 years we can worry about the seating when we start having sellouts again.

Student seating. I've come full circle on this. We have way too fickle of a student body to waste tix you can get prime donor dollars for on them. Those seats are on TV. If the students were there this season it would look like the building was empty. Honestly, I've thought the non-student turnout has been decent this year. If we had the student attendance of yesteryear - the buildings would seem incredibly full. Again - any seating related problems can be dealt with when we're actually filling up the seats.

Yorke. Yeah he sucks. I'd be happy if we just turned his volume down. When we suck he's much worse and noticible. Last night was hilarious when he announced a timeout not during a stoppage. He makes too many mistakes, uses too many words. For chrissakes this isn't a hard job and I swear I couldn't name any other PA's in the world - you shouldn't notice them. Why the hell is he a centerpiece? He sucks. But give me the fix on volume and WiFi before I sweat about this.

Band usage. The band has taken significant strides in the last couple of years for quality and updating their songs, but I feel like I just have to hear DJ fart waffle or whatever play dumb old songs at way too high a volume or at the wrong time. He slows down and chops certain pump up songs during key moments. He sucks too. Use the damn band.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL