URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

My fear is that Ish may want to go closer to the DMV so his Dad could see some games. The only game his dad could have gone to was George Mason and he didn’t make it.

His girlfriend, since high school, goes to school in Massachusetts, so that isn’t a factor.

I think we will need more NIL deals for him to sweeten the pot for him at URI. Anyone own a company that wants him in an ad??
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago OK, Player development. Rory develops a much quicker trigger on shot, gets some game beyond catch and slowly shoot,
foot speed increases, Alex learns hand
eye skills to catch the ball, among other low post footwork, rebounding techniques, free throws %, Weston gets so major kiddy upon his step and lift in shooting. Develop some triple threat techniques of get ball; shoot and open shot, drive to hoop, pass to assist teammates.
The other “keepers” show up next season as new and improved from what we have already seen.
Glass 1/2 empty here? Yes, as I have stated the huge improvement necessary from the current player development train is not something I see as enough. Have at it.
Good stuff, 105.

Rory: If he develops in the areas you list (particularly with his foot speed), I think he will be a good rotation piece - especially in his Junior and Senior years here.

Weston: He does have some good tools to work with, especially his athleticism and physicality. I liken his upside to Rory’s at least and even higher if he develops the offensive skills you list. Also, he can be even more impactful on the D end - he has the physical tools to be a good defender.

Big T: Like other KB’ers, I love his attitude. I think he still needs a lot of work but, with his attitude, I am confident he will put in the time and effort to improve in the areas you list. I am not sure we will see a significant jump in his development for next season but I can see him making a noticeable jump for the year after. He can be a nice regular rotation piece here and an assertive disruptor at the rim on D, eventually.

Hutch: Like big T, I like his intangibles. At times he looks like a puppy out there amongst some big dogs but he is still young. He needs to improve his strength and gain a bit of weight. If he can do both while also improving his skills, I think he can be a valuable rotation piece on D and on O in his Junior year if he sticks with it here.

Bassy: Good kid, buys into the program. I expect his handle and passing to improve some over the next few years if he stays throughout. He can be a capable back up point guard here for 10-12 minutes a game. He can grab more minutes if he can ever improve his shooting percentage from 3.

Samb: As others have commented, he appears to have regressed some. He could be a backup 4 or 5 here in case of an emergency and a solid practice player but I don’t see him getting steady rotation minutes here.

The above is all dependent on the quality of transfers to be added and the ability of the Juco guards and bigs we may add. We could certainly use immediate help from the portal at point and in the front court (as I don’t know what to expect from Foumena or how soon Bilau can get back to 100% if he can).

As for the incoming freshman, as of now I do not expect either to play steady minutes unless we are short handed in the backcourt. That said, due to their skill sets and team needs in the areas of shooting, ball handling and ball movement, I can see them getting situational playing time later in the season as they adjust to college ball. But, this is also dependent on the quality of backcourt transfer(s) added and/or the ability of any Juco guards coming in.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago our whole roster can enter the portal for all I care.
So, I guess you are giving Archie an F or unsatisfactory grade in building this year's roster.
Perhaps. I like our coach. Our players suck though.

Arch did what he could with the little time he had. That’s not necessarily his fault.

Hindsight is 20/20. We have a ragtag team of a part and a couple pieces. You can get those anywhere.
1 x
:lol:
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

The NIL is going to be game changer for many schools.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

damram wrote: 1 year ago The NIL is going to be game changer for many schools.
100%

and Rhody aint paying
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago
100%

and Rhody aint paying
Rhody is putting together the same thing other A10 schools have. How is NIL a game changer for mid majors?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
100%

and Rhody aint paying
Rhody is putting together the same thing other A10 schools have. How is NIL a game changer for mid majors?
the playing field, so to speak, is not level across the NCAA in its respective sports.

the kids however, 1, don't see that. and 2, don't care. they want to be paid. all of them. they don't care where the $$ is coming from so long as it's coming.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago My fear is that Ish may want to go closer to the DMV so his Dad could see some games. The only game his dad could have gone to was George Mason and he didn’t make it.

His girlfriend, since high school, goes to school in Massachusetts, so that isn’t a factor.

I think we will need more NIL deals for him to sweeten the pot for him at URI. Anyone own a company that wants him in an ad??
Wasn't he aligned with Dunkin? Hard for me to think of a bigger deal than he'd get than Dunkin in New England
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

100%

and Rhody aint paying
the playing field, so to speak, is not level across the NCAA in its respective sports.

the kids however, 1, don't see that. and 2, don't care. they want to be paid. all of them. they don't care where the $$ is coming from so long as it's coming.
The playing field has never been level.

Name 1 A10 recruit/transfer that was secured bc of a Collective deal? Umass fans are petitioning to scrap together 50k to keep their great FR Luis. That is who we are competing with and again we will have the same resources as them in this regard. We were never competing with P5s and we still aren’t. The NiL talk is misunderstood and thrown out there so much as an easy answer.

It’s like people saying to keep your head down in golf. Sounds good but not accurate.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago My fear is that Ish may want to go closer to the DMV so his Dad could see some games. The only game his dad could have gone to was George Mason and he didn’t make it.

Wasn't he aligned with Dunkin? Hard for me to think of a bigger deal than he'd get than Dunkin in New England
Kids aren’t for most part making paydays off true NIL deals. Like in Ish case that is either a local franchise or maybe regional relationship that I’d assume he’s getting free product and maybe a little money from for the social media promos. He’s not getting rich.

The big dollars are flowing thru the collectives which are basically booster clubs. The kids may be required to sign some autographs or show up at an event but these aren’t true business relationships. They are pay to play / no show jobs. Gone completely unregulated by the moronic NCAA.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

It does sound like the NCAA is at least saber rattling about doing better enforcement around these fraudulent “NIL” deals. I read this in the context of Syracuse, who apparently has a booster that is publicly flaunting the rules and not even pretending like he isn’t just straight paying kids to go there. The situation in Miami with the football booster is another one.

I don’t know how much it will impact us directly but overall it would be good for the balance in college basketball to reign that in a little. I’m all for kids being compensated for their work and I wish the NCAA would just share some of their revenues with the players via a significant stipend and do away with all this mess. But short of that they have to have some enforcement around the NIL concept and not just allow boosters to directly buy players.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Name 1 A10 recruit/transfer that was secured bc of a Collective deal? Umass fans are petitioning to scrap together 50k to keep their great FR Luis. That is who we are competing with and again we will have the same resources as them in this regard. We were never competing with P5s and we still aren’t. The NiL talk is misunderstood and thrown out there so much as an easy answer.

It’s like people saying to keep your head down in golf. Sounds good but not accurate.
i don't know, you tell me.

I think we're trying to say the same thing but in different ways.

URI, UMass, the collective A10 aren't going to be able to compete with the uppers in CBB anymore. the NIL is truly making the A10 a bonafide mid major. The A10, MAAC, Patriot, AE, NEC are all looking similar moving forward. the A10 was never a P5 but for a long time, i feel the A10 was just a step down and could hang with 90% of the P5s.

We'll forever be 'rebuilding' and have a revolving door of guys coming and going through the portal, chasing $ and trying to recoup what they can before they have to get real jobs in the real world.

we/the A10 will be getting more parts and pieces through the portal that didn't stick somewhere else or their check bounced. I struggle to see how we land a 'big time' recruit for this level when another school can toss that same a kid a few bucks and we're over here like 'we're 5 minutes from the beach. it's winter and cold but the beach is still here.'
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

URI, UMass, the collective A10 aren't going to be able to compete with the uppers in CBB anymore. the NIL is truly making the A10 a bonafide mid major. The A10, MAAC, Patriot, AE, NEC are all looking similar moving forward. the A10 was never a P5 but for a long time, i feel the A10 was just a step down and could hang with 90% of the P5s.

We'll forever be 'rebuilding' and have a revolving door of guys coming and going through the portal, chasing $ and trying to recoup what they can before they have to get real jobs in the real world.

we/the A10 will be getting more parts and pieces through the portal that didn't stick somewhere else or their check bounced. I struggle to see how we land a 'big time' recruit for this level when another school can toss that same a kid a few bucks and we're over here like 'we're 5 minutes from the beach. it's winter and cold but the beach is still here.'
But again when were we ever competing with Duke and Kentucky for recruits? We weren’t. Wake Forest (ACC) coach even came out saying none of his kids were paid for when Boeheim inferred that they were. And they actually do have to compete with the big boys.

When did 5 stars come to A10 schools? They didn’t. Nothing has changed. In fact it might be easier for us to land 3-4 star recruits now with so many P5s focusing efforts on the Portal.
5 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago ... I wish the NCAA would just share some of their revenues with the players via a significant stipend and do away with all this mess.
At some point, the IRS may step in and say college sports is an auxiliary business and their revenue should be taxed (UBIT) as a for-profit. I was once told by a CPA that if unrelated income exceeds 10% of all income, the institution could lose its non-profit status. Clearly, colleges and universities don't want this.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

But again when were we ever competing with Duke and Kentucky for recruits? We weren’t. Wake Forest (ACC) coach even came out saying none of his kids were paid for when Boeheim inferred that they were. And they actually do have to compete with the big boys.

When did 5 stars come to A10 schools? They didn’t. Nothing has changed. In fact it might be easier for us to land 3-4 star recruits now with so many P5s focusing efforts on the Portal.
i didnt say URI/A10 were recruiting the top guys in P5s however their 6,7,8s off the bench that some A10 schools could land, those guys are no longer motivated by playing time. they're happy staying put and being paid.

those 6,7,8s are our 1,2,3s.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

BAR the last consensus Blue-Chippers that came to URI were Sly and Lamar.

Yes, the P6 schools will probably get their pick of the litter in the Portal.
But also, only 1 mid-major is in the top 30 for 2023 recruits which is Memphis.

It will always be an uphill battle for schools like us, but adding coaches like Archie and Martin will hopefully narrow the gap.
Problem is once you are able to get some of these higher impact recruits and they start achieving, will you be able to keep them.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

High school kids that will be the 8th man on a P5 team aren’t getting paid anything significant. Fordham has a 4 star coming in next year…Mason and Umass brought 4 stars in last season.

Not a lot of facts out there to back up your assertion. Our competitive set for talent hasn’t changed all that much and if anything with Archie, a practice facility and portalpalooza we are in a much better position than we were 5 years ago.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago ... I wish the NCAA would just share some of their revenues with the players via a significant stipend and do away with all this mess.
At some point, the IRS may step in and say college sports is an auxiliary business and their revenue should be taxed (UBIT) as a for-profit. I was once told by a CPA that if unrelated income exceeds 10% of all income, the institution could lose its non-profit status. Clearly, colleges and universities don't want this.
This article in todays PROJO and is from USA Today's Dan Wolken

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 306062002/
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It will always be an uphill battle for schools like us, but adding coaches like Archie and Martin will hopefully narrow the gap.
Problem is once you are able to get some of these higher impact recruits and they start achieving, will you be able to keep them.
That's kinda my point Jersey...so in 50 years we have had 2 blue chip recruits ... both secured via unique situations.
So we were never really competing for the services of those types of players.

When Dan landed a Top 25 recruiting class here it was seen as a massive accomplishment...so 1 mid major with a Top 25 class doesn't feel that out of the ordinary.

It was and still is an uphill battle for mid majors but that hasn't changed.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

That's kinda my point Jersey...so in 50 years we have had 2 blue chip recruits ... both secured via unique situations.

When Dan landed a Top 25 recruiting class here it was seen as a massive accomplishment...so 1 mid major with a Top 25 class doesn't feel that out of the ordinary.

It's not that it's always been an uphill battle, it's that it's becoming steeper and steeper. So it has changed for the worse.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago

It's not that it's always been an uphill battle, it's that it's becoming steeper and steeper. So it has changed for the worse.
But what's changed with the schools we are recruiting against for the type of player profile we have typically gone after?
Again Mason and Umass both signed 4 stars last cycle (Fernandes, Gapare).
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

As the P6 conferences expand it will probably continue to get worse.

Dayton did have a strong recruiting class by our standards in 2021 and Martin did put together a nice freshmen class for this current season.
What also is surprising that with St. Joe's situation they have a top 50 class for 2023.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago High school kids that will be the 8th man on a P5 team aren’t getting paid anything significant. Fordham has a 4 star coming in next year…Mason and Umass brought 4 stars in last season.

Not a lot of facts out there to back up your assertion. Our competitive set for talent hasn’t changed all that much and if anything with Archie, a practice facility and portalpalooza we are in a much better position than we were 5 years ago.
I don’t have any facts either, but it feels like the Premier League.
We’re not ManU, and they will always have enough $ to buy players. In fact, they have so much $ that their SECOND team would make the Champions League.

This NIL is going to allow Duke to get any player they want at any time, and that now includes any college player at any mid-major. With no transfer penalty, and the TV $, it’s going to turn into the P6 and 27 1-bid leagues.

Eventually they’ll just say enough is enough, and the NCAA tournament will not give invites to non-P6 teams.

It’s all about the $ and we don’t have any.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

The non P6 teams drive the majority of the casual fan interest in March Madness. And that is the golden goose so there is no way the NCAA gets rid of that.

Duke already could get any player they want...including transfers. It's Duke.

We compete with schools like Seton Hall, Depaul, Va Tech, Wake Forest, Penn State, Rutgers and the like for talent.
Until you can prove that NIL made the gap in those programs and ours much greater this is a moot point.

Follow your shot. Don't lift you head up. Bend your knees. And now, the NIL killed us.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

But what's changed with the schools we are recruiting against for the type of player profile we have typically gone after?
Again Mason and Umass both signed 4 stars last cycle (Fernandes, Gapare).
But will they be able to keep them when they “request” a raise?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

i didnt say URI/A10 were recruiting the top guys in P5s however their 6,7,8s off the bench that some A10 schools could land, those guys are no longer motivated by playing time. they're happy staying put and being paid.

OK - but what are those bench players making at Kentucky? $25k $50k? Seriously, what is an NIL collective paying bench players in college basketball? It feels like a mountain out of a molehill. And say it's $50k - sure, it's a lot by college student standards, but that's an entry level corporate job.

If they're not getting playing time, they're not getting professional contracts. Anyone in their camp at some point is going to say - how do we make money next year?

Look at Bryce Hopkins for PC. Rode the bench, did nothing at Kentucky. Starter at PC, probably turned himself into an NBA player in a year.

For all the NIL may "sell" these bench riders, a coach at an A10 program can come and sell playing time.

This is just the next level of college hoops. Kentucky/UNC type schools will always have more than we do. That's the reality.

At the end of the day - it's the coach and the facilities that matter the most. Everything else is ancillary. Sure - you might get one or two players who are commanding top dollar, but water will always find it's level.

Right now it's new so you've got donors funneling big money - but 2 things here - 1) the excitement of big deals will settle down, and a market rate will be established - shrinking the wild west explosion happening. And 2) these things were already happening behind the scenes - if anything NIL is leveling the playing field for the smaller schools.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

No they aren't.

What college players are okay riding the bench not getting paid what the starters are getting paid? They try and jump ship.

Unless you are a blue blood like Duke or Kansas the NIL money is not flowing to college basketball anywhere near the way it is for football.

Your most successful NIL collectives in the SEC, ya know the ones that are paying quarterbacks millions are not paying bench warmers on the basketball team anything. Even a lot of the starters aren't getting much more than Ish Leggett.
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

The goal of the URI MBB NIL Collective is to bring in 1M per year. It is not tax deductible, but can be written off as business marketing/advertising expenses.

Ish has the Dunkin' deal, where he gets paid for social media posts. Not sure how much money that amounts to.

A few football players in big conferences have 1m NIL deals themselves.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago The goal of the URI MBB NIL Collective is to bring in 1M per year. It is not tax deductible, but can be written off as business marketing/advertising expenses.

Ish has the Dunkin' deal, where he gets paid for social media posts. Not sure how much money that amounts to.

A few football players in big conferences have 1m NIL deals themselves.
There was a kid (a QB) who decommitted from Florida because his EIGHT FIGURE NIL deal fell through.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

More levity to the convo. Blue and Love hit it on head. Let's dispel some fallacies thrown around here:

True NIL deals are not moving the needle. 99% of college athletes' names, image and likeness isn't worth much of anything. The majority of true NIL deals happening are regional/local marketing deals (like Ish and the local Dunkin) in exchange for social media mentions and the dollar amounts are pretty modest.

The Collectives, ie the pay for play booster clubs, are out there and in some cases are funneling significant dollars to players. But again that is mostly weighted towards football stars or top of the line starters on P5 basketball teams.

The 6th, 7th, 8th man at Rutgers, Seton Hall, Va Tech etc are not being paid anything significant.

NIL didn't kill the A10. Neither did Collectives.

URI is building their own collective and will be at a level playing field with other like for like programs.
7 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

OK - but what are those bench players making at Kentucky? $25k $50k? Seriously, what is an NIL collective paying bench players in college basketball? It feels like a mountain out of a molehill. And say it's $50k - sure, it's a lot by college student standards, but that's an entry level corporate job.

If they're not getting playing time, they're not getting professional contracts. Anyone in their camp at some point is going to say - how do we make money next year?

Look at Bryce Hopkins for PC. Rode the bench, did nothing at Kentucky. Starter at PC, probably turned himself into an NBA player in a year.

For all the NIL may "sell" these bench riders, a coach at an A10 program can come and sell playing time.

This is just the next level of college hoops. Kentucky/UNC type schools will always have more than we do. That's the reality.

At the end of the day - it's the coach and the facilities that matter the most. Everything else is ancillary. Sure - you might get one or two players who are commanding top dollar, but water will always find it's level.

Right now it's new so you've got donors funneling big money - but 2 things here - 1) the excitement of big deals will settle down, and a market rate will be established - shrinking the wild west explosion happening. And 2) these things were already happening behind the scenes - if anything NIL is leveling the playing field for the smaller schools.
Good points, BM, and you as well, Bar.

Smart, strategic minded coaches on the non-P5 level will adapt and overcome. The same for programs with smart, strategic minded AD’s and conferences with a plan. Those conferences will rise to the top of the non-P6 conferences in basketball, into the top ten conferences regularly. The A10 is certainly capable of being one despite the hurdles.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

There’s a lot that goes into recruiting.

One great thing we have to offer to transfers is the ability to play immediately. For a guy who’s struggling to get starters minutes, or feels like he’s going to lose time to blue chip freshmen, that can go a long way
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago There’s a lot that goes into recruiting.

One great thing we have to offer to transfers is the ability to play immediately. For a guy who’s struggling to get starters minutes, or feels like he’s going to lose time to blue chip freshmen, that can go a long way
It's definitely the best selling point.

The other key to recruiting is remembering that our entire coaching staff will have a complete recruiting cycle to work with this time.

Everything last year was high risk/high reward "what's left" type of guys from the portal. I have a feeling we won't be in that situation this year.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago There’s a lot that goes into recruiting.

It's definitely the best selling point.

The other key to recruiting is remembering that our entire coaching staff will have a complete recruiting cycle to work with this time.

Everything last year was high risk/high reward "what's left" type of guys from the portal. I have a feeling we won't be in that situation this year.
Yes Blue Man, this off-season will be key and set the tone on how well we see our program progressing.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Also, P5’s may have advantages with NIL and 5 star level bb players and transfers but, money can do some funny things to people, especially younger ones, as well as impact motivation and desire. For me, that is something that could disrupt P5 team chemistry which could provide non-P5’s an edge in certain circumstances.

It is something I will watch for going forward.
1 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Has anyone heard or have any information on what to expect from Jeremy Foumena? Does anyone know how he has looked in practice? How has he done going against Samb and Tchikou?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I did not get to the B/W scrimmage, so I have zero from the eyeball test.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My info is that every player on Kentucky bball got at least 100k in NIL. The top guy, Tshbewei, has a $2M deal. Hopkins wanted a commitment for 100k before providence could announce his arrival according to my source.

A mid major can only compete in NIL is if 5 or more big boosters throw 500k into a pot. I understand providence has a group of 5 boosters helping them but I have no idea their salary cap. And I mean 500k each.

Every kid we are recruiting from top to bottom want to know how much NIL is there. Kids who are not as good as our current players.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yikes.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago My info is that every player on Kentucky bball got at least 100k in NIL. The top guy, Tshbewei, has a $2M deal. Hopkins wanted a commitment for 100k before providence could announce his arrival according to my source.

A mid major can only compete in NIL is if 5 or more big boosters throw 500k into a pot. I understand providence has a group of 5 boosters helping them but I have no idea their salary cap. And I mean 500k each.

Every kid we are recruiting from top to bottom want to know how much NIL is there. Kids who are not as good as our current players.
So the question is, do we pay the players or the coach now?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago My info is that every player on Kentucky bball got at least 100k in NIL. The top guy, Tshbewei, has a $2M deal. Hopkins wanted a commitment for 100k before providence could announce his arrival according to my source.

How much did Jacob get?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Providence got a deal. Hopkins has been worth more than that for PC.

Someone posted earlier about the initial size of our Collective. That was consistent with the amount I heard. Those dollars will be spread to each player so you can do the math.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Happen to run into the organization called INFCLR. They apparently are a legit company involved in NIH and have various contracts including the A-10. Haven’t had time to dig into deeper, but, they say that their average NIH transaction is around $1800.

Is anyone familiar with this organization? INFCLR.com
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Happen to run into the organization called INFCLR. They apparently are a legit company involved in NIH and have various contracts including the A-10. Haven’t had time to dig into deeper, but, they say that their average NIH transaction is around $1800.

What??? They only offered me $30 !!???
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Happen to run into the organization called INFCLR. They apparently are a legit company involved in NIH and have various contracts including the A-10. Haven’t had time to dig into deeper, but, they say that their average NIH transaction is around $1800.

Yes it's a 3rd party platform (one of many) that sprung up when NIL was becoming a reality.
It's basically a marketplace for brands/companies to go in and search for athletes and their associated fees - predominantly for social media type campaigns. The deals are typically in the hundreds or very low thousands of dollars for those with bigger social media followings.

The big name football/basketball stars are not doing their deals through platforms like that. They either have agents or are dealing directly with boosters/collectives. This is mostly for the lo-fi part of the market.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Thanks Big Apple for the explanation. Is this the kind of third,party that so,done with Ish’s talents hooks up,with.

Also, I thought the “students” could not have agents as that makes them a pro by NCAA “” standards”””.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago [

So, we remain mired in mediocrity? We must do better.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

The bottom line is we currently have one starter for next years team that is a quality starter. So in a perfect world we get a 1,3,4,5.

Not likely to get all that filled next year, Hopefully Archie fills three of those with quality A10 players.

Pretty much everyone is on The “bubble depending on what players and positions Archie signs.

So if we need to open up three positions, guessing Samb, Hutch and …. After this year’s results from the 5 position, I wonder if Archie is willing to stay pat with a recovering Bilau, Freenchie, Rory and freshman Foumena?

If we hit paydirt in the portal, we need to come up 6 departures. Think Bassey stays. He is Archie’ s kind of competitor and would fill the back up point guard. If I had to bet, to fill the six needs
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

OK. I keep going back to this thought. It seems to me some folks here sound like we are currently a team sniffing around a near miss this this year, due to no show players(Harris) an injury, a better game shack ending(VCU), counted on player being dismissed from the team, players being out of position, etc, etc. For me, we are a team sniffing at last place. The player development some times talked about here is a lot of “ifs” in the deficiencies in the current players are turned into positives. Just don’t see that all happening. Major new faces needed to get this program ahead.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The Ivy League schools could care less because academics are going to trump sports.

Colleges should drop sports which they want to associate with as professional enterprises and establish a relationship with a local team in a professional league of like minded schools and provide an educational opportunity for players on this team. The professional league teams would pay the school for tuition etc. for players and a relationship fee.

In all other sports, the colleges would compete with no compensation for athletes and wouldn't compete against their professional affiliate.

This could work for women and men. A women who aspires to be a professional soccer player but also wants a college degree could apply or be recruited by one of these professional teams which maybe just plays games on weekends. No need to take a full academic load so they could concentrate on their sport. There could be longer seasons.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!