2/18 | UMass | 2:00PM (ESPNU/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2/18 | UMass | 2:00PM (ESPNU/ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Today sucked, but this was the absolute most disappointing game I’ve ever been too.

Attachments
49C3E38F-6466-40DD-A49A-A9BF6FFAFECD.jpeg
5 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago Was planning to come on here when I could access the internet again to kill the students for no-showing but honestly it’s hard to blame them after watching that.
Long weekend, bad seats, underwhelming team, student group run by middle aged adults and older. Scrap everything we've been doing and thinking about the student section and let them start over on their own
You’re probably right but I’m not sure if that’s likely to happen and I’m also not entirely convinced that it would solve the problem today. Todays problem can only be solved by winning. If we are winning it doesn’t matter who is running it (as right as you may be about that), they will show.

This team isn’t just not very good, they are extremely difficult to watch with how limited they are offensively. Aside from honoring teams that deserved our support today and getting a chance to see friends and fellow travelers, there are no basketball-related reasons for anyone to show up to watch this team right now. The good news is, in basketball you’re always a couple players away and this staff should be able to get players. But for the rest of this season it’s hard to justify the time, effort and expense.
And unfortunately as special as it was for us to honor those teams, what percentage of students even care about the 88 and 98 teams. I go back to when I was in college and I would have loved something for the 66 and 78 teams, but I don't know of a lot of classmates that would have cared about something like this for those teams
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago For the naysayers, Thomas will continue to improve as he has this season.
Sorry if this offends anyone but Thomas is not a D1 player at any level. Against VCU, you lost because he literally fell out of bounds untouched, which was followed up by him throwing a pass 30 feet over someone’s head out of bounds. He is killing you guys.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player regress worse than Malik. My oh my.
Just looked back and saw that he shot 37.9% from three in 19-20 at Charlotte.

He must be ridiculously in his head or something.
He can’t even elevate off the ground when he drives.

He goes up for a layup and he’s barely jumping over the painted lines.

Kid gives absolutely 110%, but he’s not just an A10 player.

Can’t get pissed or mad at him though because he doesn’t half ass it or give poor attitude like others have over the last couple years.
4 x
Go Rhody
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

This is the second straight game where it went way too long without a timeout.

19-17 lead with 9:31 after a rory 3.

Then it’s 27-21 with 3:38 left…
Just 2 FTs in that stretch…
Bassy finally makes a basket (a 3, no less).
But we actually LOSE the use-it-or-lose-it TO in the first half.

Wtf r u waiting for?
I would guess a made 3, but HE DIDNT CALL IT!!!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago Just checked the score - I am glad I am out of the country this week with all the BS going on
But you were so sure we’d be on the bubble and in contention for a Top 4 A10 seed?

Funny you’ve gone quiet these last couple months when we’ve shit the bed.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PCFriars wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago For the naysayers, Thomas will continue to improve as he has this season.
Sorry if this offends anyone but Thomas is not a D1 player at any level. Against VCU, you lost because he literally fell out of bounds untouched, which was followed up by him throwing a pass 30 feet over someone’s head out of bounds. He is killing you guys.
Yup, if he wasn’t from RI he wouldn’t be sniffing being on an A10 school.
0 x
Go Rhody
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago Just checked the score - I am glad I am out of the country this week with all the BS going on
But you were so sure we’d be on the bubble and in contention for a Top 4 A10 seed?

My Boy pc15 Happy about another loss!

Son you need a life!

GO RHODY!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So you are saying Archie Miller kept Thomas on his 1st year team because he is from Rhode Island? Come on man.
0 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Someone still has to explain to me why Malik and Thomas played 30+ min and Weston played a spot 8. I don’t get it. Huge Archie fan but his personnel decisions had me shaking my head this game. This one was another turd.

Maybe Archie doesn’t want Weston back next year and is showing him the door? Same with Lou…
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

So you are saying Archie Miller kept Thomas on his 1st year team because he is from Rhode Island? Come on man.
Not sure if that kept him on the team, but probably helped (a lot?) as far as getting him on the team maybe?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The Morning After. My reality check. Big picture, I stare at the A-10 standings and see nothing but a long , steep, difficult uphill climb to being relevant again. The many teams above us are going to further evolve. Sorry to the glass 1/2 fullers, I just don’t a tweak or two to bring us back. Nor do I see the huge development and improvements needed in any of the current players to make any significant rise in the standings. Small picture, having said that, sure sit Martin(thanks for being here) and play major minutes for Weston, Hutch, and anyone else to give them running time to evaluate what is really there. Another meaningless win or two, for me does nothing for the big picture. Evaluate what we really have in live A-10 action to re-set the off season roster scope accordingly. No?
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It’s literally apparent the only decent player on this team is Ish. This was a false start and needs to be blown up. Others have flashes, but not enough to care if you lose them.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago It’s literally apparent the only decent player on this team is Ish. This was a false start and needs to be blown up. Others have flashes, but not enough to care if you lose them.
I agree with some of the previous posts that Archie's toughest recruiting job will be to try and keep Ish.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago All your statements are based on no facts other than that Archie was successful 6 seasons ago when he coached.
This seems like a pretty significant fact.
Ranstock doesn't know what they're talking about, but what they lack in knowledge they make up for with aggressive stupidity
I know that Archie has 5 straight seasons coaching that have been failures. I think he can turn it around, but he has
not been successful since his last season at Dayton. If you think that this roster is NCAA caliber worthy and just young with growing pains than maybe you’re the one who fits in the stupidity category.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

In my opinion Cox wouldn’t have recruited him to be on the team if he wasn’t from RI.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

In my opinion Cox wouldn’t have recruited him to be on the team if he wasn’t from RI.
Which is infuriating because he let Burton and Kolek go without even a look but Thomas is the in-state kid he brings in.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

brady1 wrote: 1 year ago

My Boy pc15 Happy about another loss!

Son you need a life!

GO RHODY!
What are you even talking about?

The only time you post on here is to call me a PC fan yet I’m the one who needs a life.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Agree 15. This kid would not be on the team if he weren't from RI and would never have been recruited. Love his effort and attitude, but c'mon man...
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So again I ask, why would Miller keep him? If the only reason he is on the team is only because he is from RI then why would Miller keep him? The roster belongs to Miller since last April.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 1 year ago

Agree 15. This kid would not be on the team if he weren't from RI and would never have been recruited. Love his effort and attitude, but c'mon man...
So why did Miller keep him? Because he is from RI?
If Miller's conclusion was the same as yours and rhody15's then not only why did he keep Thomas, but why is he playing high minutes and why didn't Miller bring in a freshman or transfer PG besides Freeman who really isn't a classic PG anyway?

Carey certainly can't handle the PG duties.

Roster construction / recruitment issue bottom line.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

So again I ask, why would Miller keep him? If the only reason he is on the team is only because he is from RI then why would Miller keep him? The roster belongs to Miller since last April.

Ramster...I think he was recruited because h'e from RI. Archie thinks he's a good hard working kid and because he is from RI he kept him. (harder to let him go once he''s on the team). He does provide point guard skills that are otherwise lacking from the team. If he were not on the team, Archie would never have recruited him. Just my opinion...
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's going to be an interesting off season. That's all I can say.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramster...I think he was recruited because h'e from RI. Archie thinks he's a good hard working kid and because he is from RI he kept him. (harder to let him go once he''s on the team). He does provide point guard skills that are otherwise lacking from the team. If he were not on the team, Archie would never have recruited him. Just my opinion...
ramster, do you think Arch would have recruited him?
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

If Miller's conclusion was the same as yours and rhody15's then not only why did he keep Thomas, but why is he playing high minutes and why didn't Miller bring in a freshman or transfer PG besides Freeman who really isn't a classic PG anyway?

Miller tried with Ant Harris. If Harris were on the team, Bassy would have been buried on the bench. Without Harris, there are no other options off the bench. Then with the Freeman issue, he's almost forced to play Bassy a full game.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For the many years I've followed URI BB comments have always been why doesn't URI recruit RI players. Many examples.
Just look at TJ Weeks and Deondre Dominguez at UMASS. Tyler Kolek at Marquette and many more. We almost never a recruit RI kid.

So it's kind of ironic now to say Thomas is in the team only because he is from RI.

And who can play PG now besides Thomas? That's not Thomas' fault.

Thomas was hurting yesterday. He left after VCU game with lots of ice taped around his ankle. Miller pulled him out once yesterday because he saw he was laboring. He came to the bench several times wincing in pain, rubbing his ankle.

Not making excuses for him there just isn't a back up PG on this roster. The whole team played poorly yesterday.

We got beat by a team with 4 of their key players out injured/sick and 3 freshmen led them in scoring.

A tough week for URI losing MBB and WBB on our home court to UMASS in games that were not close.

But the season is not over. We beat Dayton and we played 1st place VCU to the last second. Still hope. GW this Wednesday then at Fordham Saturday. Get a few wins heading to Brooklyn!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Miller tried with Ant Harris. If Harris were on the team, Bassy would have been buried on the bench. Without Harris, there are no other options off the bench. Then with the Freeman issue, he's almost forced to play Bassy a full game.
Yep but it's sounding like Harris was always a long shot. It's still Millers roster. He chose not to keep Mitchell's, Ileri at Vermont, Tres Berry at Charleston Southern, Walker to Bryant, Betrand to Rider - he chose to keep Thomas. He also didn't try to re-recruit Chase Stephens who went to Loyola Marymount or Nate Brafford who went to Georgia Southern. Not Thomas' fault Miller kept him.

It is what it is now.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

For the many years I've followed URI BB comments have always been why doesn't URI recruit RI players. Many examples.
Just look at TJ Weeks and Deondre Dominguez at UMASS. Tyler Kolek at Marquette and many more. We almost never a recruit RI kid.

So it's kind of ironic now to say Thomas is in the team only because he is from RI.

Thomas was hurting yesterday. He left after VCU game with lots of ice taped around his ankle. Miller pulled him out once yesterday because he saw he was laboring. He came to the bench several times wincing in pain, rubbing his ankle.

Not making excuses for him there just isn't a back up PG on this roster. The whole team played poorly yesterday.

We got beat by a team with 4 of their key players out injured/sick and 3 freshmen led them in scoring.

A tough week for URI losing MBB and WBB on our home court to UMASS in games that were not close.

But the season is not over. We beat Dayton and we played 1st place VCU to the last second. Still hope. GW this Wednesday then at Fordham Saturday. Get a few wins heading to Brooklyn!!

Ramster...I have no explanation for why Weeks wasn't recruited (maybe he was going to UMASS out of the womb) or why Kolek wasn't recruited (Did PC recruit him?). I have a hard time believing Bassy would have been recruited if he was from MASS.

You're right. It isn't his fault he is the only true PG we have, but that doesn't necessarily making him worthy of being on the team. It just so happens that for many reasons he is the only one available for the job.

I love the kid's attitude. When I saw him hobbling in the layup line to start the second half of the VCU game, i thought there was no chance he would play. I give him tons of credit for gutting it out then and again yesterday. I will never question his effort.

All that said, Archie comes in as a new coach with a depleted roster. He has to make decisions. He's a culture guy looking for players that will fit. I don't think he wants one of his first decisions coming in to be getting rid of the RI kid that works his ass off, is committed to the team, is coachable and has a great attitude. But I would bet my life that he would not have recruited that kid. (None of the other guys you mentioned...Berry, Betrand, the Twins were from RI...and the Twins certainly were not going to fit into the culture Archie wants). Further, I'm guessing Bassy wouldn't have minded sitting at the end of the bence. All the others would have been an issue.
Last edited by RhodyRam86 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I still want Bassy on the team going forward.....but as a backup playing about 10 minutes per game.
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Stewart and Hutch at least showed some energy in this game. Start them for what's left of this season. Reduce Martin and Carey minutes.
2 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

This seems like a pretty significant fact.
Ranstock doesn't know what they're talking about, but what they lack in knowledge they make up for with aggressive stupidity
I know that Archie has 5 straight seasons coaching that have been failures. I think he can turn it around, but he has
not been successful since his last season at Dayton. If you think that this roster is NCAA caliber worthy and just young with growing pains than maybe you’re the one who fits in the stupidity category.
So his 2019-20 team that was going to the tournament, that year was a failure because the world got Covid? And oh by the way, last year's and this year's Indiana teams would be nothing without the foundation he built that he wasn't allowed to finish with
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

This is a fact
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You say Carey can't handle PG duties but when Carey and Thomas have been in the game together since Freeman’s departure Carey has been the primary ball handler
0 x
Maine66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maine66 »

Back home home my trip to Kingston yesterday with my son in law. Was a guest in the presidents suite. Had a nice long chat with the president and am really impressed with what he's trying to do especially with the budget. Also had a chance to spend some time with Lillian O"Rourke. My highlight was running into a guy I ran track and Cross Country with. Obviously the game was a bust, I was surprised at the lack of students at the game. Times sure have changed, Nice tribute to the 1988 and 1998 teams though I recall we "sold our soul to the Devil" when we hired Herrick. It was nice being able to show my son in law the campus and to be back in Kingston.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He needed players, couldn’t jettison everyone.
4 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Stop man, there is no hope.

You said we’d be 23-8.

You said we’d set a Ryan Center attendance record.

Starting with the VCU game, you said we’d cover the spread of every game rest of the season.

You said all those games were winnable.

You said we’d be better with Thomas instead of Freeman.

You said nobody would want to play us in Brooklyn.

There is no hope for the rest of the season. Absolutely zero.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
Go Rhody
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

In retrospect Ramster’s contest take is probably the worst take in KeaneyBlue history.

My take was pretty bad too :(
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago In retrospect Ramster’s contest take is probably the worst take in KeaneyBlue history.

My take was pretty bad too :(
95% of his takes are bad.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

You said we’d be 23-8.

Starting with the VCU game, you said we’d cover the spread of every game rest of the season.

I still can't get my head around the fact that a one game under .500 prediction....was so optimistic
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Once I saw the exhibition, I put in 14-17 for final record. It was so blaring then as it is now.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

You said we’d be 23-8.

I still can't get my head around the fact that a one game under .500 prediction....was so optimistic
Well if we had Ant, Bray and Bilau all year we would have at least been one game under .500 so not really that optimistic.

None of us expected to rely on all the freshmen as much as we have to do now.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Today sucked, but this was the absolute most disappointing game I’ve ever been too.

Yeah that game was inexcusable.

That team lowkey fell apart a little at the end of the year.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

You said we’d be 23-8.

Well if we had Ant, Bray and Bilau all year we would have at least been one game under .500 so not really that optimistic.

Umass just beat us by 24 with 3 freshman getting most of the minutes for them.
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

So his 2019-20 team that was going to the tournament, that year was a failure because the world got Covid? And oh by the way, last year's and this year's Indiana teams would be nothing without the foundation he built that he wasn't allowed to finish with
Cmon. What is that based on in terms of Indiana not being successful without Archie’s foundation? Indiana is one of the all time successful programs. They have some of the top recruits in the country. The Indiana program didn’t feel the same about Archie. Archie is on a different level than a David Cox for sure, but it is more than fair for him to take criticism for a roster that will be have to be gutted to be successful next year. There is no chance that Archie comes back with too many of these players outside of Ish.
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/bask ... hie-miller
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Umass just beat us by 24 with 3 freshman getting most of the minutes for them.
Yeah and we also beat Dayton and almost beat VCU the other day.

We easily win more games with the full healthy roster we expected to have.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago Any idea why the turnout for the '98 team was so small? Tough to "honor teams/players of the past if they can't/won't show up.
Two of the players are assistant coaches so that explains why Tyson and ARD were not there. Can't speak for anybody else but agreed it was disappointing that only two players were there, Preston Murphy and Josh King. Not sure why the relationship with Cuttino Mobley and the school seems to not be good.

The 88 turnout was great though and it was nice that both teams were honored. The highlight of an otherwise abysmal day and season for Rhody hoops.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago Any idea why the turnout for the '98 team was so small? Tough to "honor teams/players of the past if they can't/won't show up.
Two of the players are assistant coaches so that explains why Tyson and ARD were not there. Can't speak for anybody else but agreed it was disappointing that only two players were there, Preston Murphy and Josh King. Not sure why the relationship with Cuttino Mobley and the school seems to not be good.

The 88 turnout was great though and it was nice that both teams were honored. The highlight of an otherwise abysmal day and season for Rhody hoops.
Cuttino had a commitment with the NBA for all star weekend, it had nothing to do with a poor relationship
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder what Luther Clay is up to these days? He obviously was a key player for that team.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

I wonder what Luther Clay is up to these days? He obviously was a key player for that team.
I found this tweet from 2012 with Luther, Dan and Bobby. Look who commented on the tweet.

2 x