2/18 | UMass | 2:00PM (ESPNU/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/18 | UMass | 2:00PM (ESPNU/ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago

That game at the PCC versus Temple was the worst Rhody game I have ever witnessed in person. Here is a recap of the most inept URI performance ever:

The Owls (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 21 AP) held Rhode Island to two field goals in the first half in a 74-40 victory Saturday

the Rams (5-17, 2-7), who lost their fifth straight -- by an average margin of 30.4 points -- and 15th in 17 games

Temple led 36-9 at the break, and Rhode Island had just shot 2-for-20
After the game, Jerry Duh said, "we competed." Swear to God.
Unfortunately, this team is not too far off from being that bad. Like, they had a nice offensive set, the ball moved around great and it left Martin for a wide open 3. As it was happening I said out loud, Great we pass it to the guy who can't shoot. The Umass fan behind me repeated what I said to his friend. Martin airballed the 3.
We are probably further away than I originally thought.
I expected more development by now from our newcomers and younger players.
The young players from UMass seem so much more advanced and have a higher basketball IQ than ours.
Those kids totally outplayed us.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't get all the negativity guys, we're only like 7 or 8 more players away from being an average A10 team! :lol:
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The box score reads like how in the hell is this a D1 team?
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player regress worse than Malik. My oh my.
There is no question his offense and shooting has regressed. Wonder if has an injury or is his gym work hurting his shooting. (He has never been an outstanding shooter but now he is off by feet not inches. Something is wrong
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player regress worse than Malik. My oh my.
Just looked back and saw that he shot 37.9% from three in 19-20 at Charlotte.

He must be ridiculously in his head or something.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I have a hard time understanding people who want to jettison all of the role players. We already have 2 available scholarships for next season and 2 freshman incoming along with red-shirt center Foumena. That is a minimum of five new players without any players transferring out. If you are teaching a system that is not easy to learn then you do not want to swap out your role players who have already been learning the system. I'd only want a player to leave if he does not buy into the program.

I hope Ish sticks around because if we can get another 2 guys near his level of play we would have a very good team.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago I have a hard time understanding people who want to jettison all of the role players. We already have 2 available scholarships for next season and 2 freshman incoming along with red-shirt center Foumena. That is a minimum of five new players without any players transferring out. If you are teaching a system that is not easy to learn then you do not want to swap out your role players who have already been learning the system. I'd only want a player to leave if he does not buy into the program.

I hope Ish sticks around because if we can get another 2 guys near his level of play we would have a very good team.
Because they play like walk ons?
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The “if” factor for me to just to large of a jump in development of the current 2-3 needed to bring us to a very good team.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago I have a hard time understanding people who want to jettison all of the role players. We already have 2 available scholarships for next season and 2 freshman incoming along with red-shirt center Foumena. That is a minimum of five new players without any players transferring out. If you are teaching a system that is not easy to learn then you do not want to swap out your role players who have already been learning the system. I'd only want a player to leave if he does not buy into the program.

I have a hard time convincing myself that ish would stay.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If is not a word right now. Archie needs to get us players. If doesn't count. MUST is the word.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

When a season spirals down like this, it is easy for some players to emotionally check out.
Which will affect the team chemistry in the locker-room and their play.
Let's see how it all works out.

Regardless, much also depends on how Archie uses those 2 current openings.
As I said before not sure he should take any more chances on raw players or those having red flags.
I know it goes against his previous strategy but for now wouldn't mind some quick fixes.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I just do not know what to say....It was a bad bad game and boring as all hell.
There needs to be a lot of player changes that is a fact!!!!
I would be surprise it there is more than one starter from this years team starting on next years team.
Learning a coaches system is part of the process but you get better as the season goes along not worst!
Teams bring in new players every year and they adapt. We are no different.
Very frustrated fan!!!!!!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

When a season spirals down like this, it is easy for some players to emotionally check out.

As I said before not sure he should take any more chances on raw players or those having red flags.
I know it goes against his previous strategy but for now wouldn't mind some quick fixes.
I believe there are 3. Ant Harris is not coming here. Just guessing on my part. Also, we aren't paying him $2M+ for raw players. He better get some freshmen in here to get this thing going.
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Great tribute to 1988 team during timeout.

Really? Would have been nice if they mentioned the guys by name.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Stating the captain obvious but laying an egg in front of a big crowd(I’m guessing 5700 in the seats) and three of the programs finest players who happen to also be fine people is more than a disappointment.

It is unacceptable. Period.
Last edited by hrstrat57 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago The box score reads like how in the hell is this a D1 team?
So where do you place the blame!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago The box score reads like how in the hell is this a D1 team?
I'll start with David Cox. We wouldn't be in this mess if it weren't for him.
7 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

AS BillyBoy just said, David Cox. You still want to give Cox a raise? Feckin dolt.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I believe there are 3. Ant Harris is not coming here. Just guessing on my part. Also, we aren't paying him $2M+ for raw players. He better get some freshmen in here to get this thing going.
Only 2 currently Blueram, I wasn't counting Ant.
We have 11 players on the roster.
Martin and Carey will be replaced by Dubs and Cam, so 2 spots open as of now.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

What about Freeman?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Crazy that in 2 days we get blown out by UMass twice at the RC where we were favored.
Both the women and the men lose by over 20 points.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What about Freeman?
Losing Bray made it 11.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I’m trying to figure out what was worse. The men’s game or the traffic trying to get out of the Keaney lot with no cops directing traffic at the entrance after the game. What a mess.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

5 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I hope we get a good crowd for this one. It would suck to finally be honoring past greats in a half empty house.
It ended up being a good crowd. If more than 75 students showed up, it could have been a great crowd......and I don't mean for the game. I mean for the Rhody greats that were here.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well said Archie. Let's not do it again any time soon.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Well said Archie. Let's not do it again any time soon.
Agree Adam. This better be our lowest point ever.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Well said Archie. Let's not do it again any time soon.
16 of 65
There are high school teams that can shoot better with the fucking lights off
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
16 of 65
There are CYO teams that can shoot better with the fucking lights off
Fixed it for ya
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
I appreciate Archie taking the blame I guess, but I am also tired of him having to take the blame. My expectations coming into this year were to see a solid system with team improvement as the season progressed. The jury is out on the system. I do believe in it but the improvement is not there for anyone except maybe Ish. Even he resorted to hero ball today, which was a regression on his part. Although with the supporting cast what choice does he have. I'm giving Archie a pass for this year because he was hired late in the game. The scary part is all the warts on the transfers coming in have reared their ugly head. None of them give me confidence moving forward. Let's hope this next recruiting cycle makes us forget this year.. ended the disappointing day not even getting my beer at tilted barn as it was packed. Maybe on our beach runs this summer.. drowned our sorrows at ravenous in Cumberland. That worked. As rhody1982 said to me, I at least want to look forward to going to a10 tourney . Hopefully as soon as next year.. Archie and staff need to hit some home runs this recruiting cycle...
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The way things work today with transferring and NIL, there are bound to be several P6 teams in his ear and in the ears of his family, friends, advisors whispering sweet opportunities to win, to experience playing in the NCAA Tourney and to make money for his last few years of eligibility. The overtures have probably started already, I am sure.

I lean towards him staying one more year at least but I will never say never with the state of cbb being what it is today and the sleazy coaches and P6 boosters slithering around in the grass.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

AS BillyBoy just said, David Cox. You still want to give Cox a raise? Feckin dolt.
A raise but not a buyout extension. The AD created a year with no MBB recruiting and the twins and Walker moving on. Who hired Cox in the first place? Stop being a lackey.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Who hired Cox in the first place?
Hurley
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Remember when Ramster said we’d cover the spread every game the rest of the season and be a team opponents wouldn’t want to face in Brooklyn?

Lol
You wouldn't want to face this team in Brooklyn, because that would mean your team is also at the very bottom of the conference?

I like the spin zone.
That's going to psych some people out for sure.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Because they play like walk ons?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Does it really matter anymore? Who to blame. Chasing this dead rabbit down another hole of pages gets us no where. And pointing the blame game. We are where we are, bottom A-10. The road ahead is long. Overly simplistic, we need major upgrade in all fundamentals of basketball. Where that comes from is the key for this program. More swing and misses by this coaching staff will just prolong the the climb out of the league bottom. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Just checked the score - I am glad I am out of the country this week with all the BS going on
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I just do not know what to say....It was a bad bad game and boring as all hell.
There needs to be a lot of player changes that is a fact!!!!
I would be surprise it there is more than one starter from this years team starting on next years team.
Learning a coaches system is part of the process but you get better as the season goes along not worst!
Teams bring in new players every year and they adapt. We are no different.
Very frustrated fan!!!!!!
Boring?? No kidding but, at least if you're watching at home you get wi-fi (and reasonably priced beer*).

*If they're going to book some ticket prices as 'premium' games and charge more....adjust the price of brews accordingly.
Go ahead and charge your $13 for VCU....drop it to $9.75 for today's matchup, maybe $11 for others...stay loose with it, keep people on their toes
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The students?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

No apology necessary. The outcome was made clear and early, allowing the casual fan that lives around the corner to beat the "traffic" :roll:
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago
I appreciate Archie taking the blame I guess, but I am also tired of him having to take the blame. My expectations coming into this year were to see a solid system with team improvement as the season progressed. The jury is out on the system. I do believe in it but the improvement is not there for anyone except maybe Ish. Even he resorted to hero ball today, which was a regression on his part. Although with the supporting cast what choice does he have. I'm giving Archie a pass for this year because he was hired late in the game. The scary part is all the warts on the transfers coming in have reared their ugly head. None of them give me confidence moving forward. Let's hope this next recruiting cycle makes us forget this year.. ended the disappointing day not even getting my beer at tilted barn as it was packed. Maybe on our beach runs this summer.. drowned our sorrows at ravenous in Cumberland. That worked. As rhody1982 said to me, I at least want to look forward to going to a10 tourney . Hopefully as soon as next year.. Archie and staff need to hit some home runs this recruiting cycle...
You gotta be kidding me...my wife and I used to say, before they reconstructed the new Tilted place, "no one ever goes there because it's always packed".... I guess some things never change.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
There is no question his offense and shooting has regressed. Wonder if has an injury or is his gym work hurting his shooting. (He has never been an outstanding shooter but now he is off by feet not inches. Something is wrong
This, oddly enough, has always been his MO. On offense, he's feast or famine. He's had six games with 10+ points, one of them with 23 points that came against Fordham. He's had five points or less in eight games. His shooting and points are down this year - Not sure if its because he's regressed, because he's playing through injuries, because he's gone from the 4th or 5th option to having to shoot more, or some combination of all of those factors.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago All your statements are based on no facts other than that Archie was successful 6 seasons ago when he coached.
This seems like a pretty significant fact.
Ranstock doesn't know what they're talking about, but what they lack in knowledge they make up for with aggressive stupidity
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Someone still has to explain to me why Malik and Thomas played 30+ min and Weston played a spot 8. I don’t get it. Huge Archie fan but his personnel decisions had me shaking my head this game. This one was another turd.
I agree with this, especially Malik. He didn't really bring anything to the table today, the season is lost, it's time to play younger guys if him or Carey are having an off game
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago It looks like they just quit, a fitting end to one of the worst weeks in URI basketball.
Archie admitted as much in the post game. Very disappointing, especially with our best teams in attendance
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago Was planning to come on here when I could access the internet again to kill the students for no-showing but honestly it’s hard to blame them after watching that.
Long weekend, bad seats, underwhelming team, student group run by middle aged adults and older. Scrap everything we've been doing and thinking about the student section and let them start over on their own
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago This is like watching Jerry Duh's team play Temple.
My friend and I literally said the same thing during the game. Only difference is that Temple team was good
That game at the PCC versus Temple was the worst Rhody game I have ever witnessed in person. Here is a recap of the most inept URI performance ever:

The Owls (No. 20 ESPN/USA Today, No. 21 AP) held Rhode Island to two field goals in the first half in a 74-40 victory Saturday

the Rams (5-17, 2-7), who lost their fifth straight -- by an average margin of 30.4 points -- and 15th in 17 games

Temple led 36-9 at the break, and Rhode Island had just shot 2-for-20
Yup, that's the one. And we had to travel to Providence for that disaster of a home game. I think that is the worst URI game I've seen in person as well. It was so bad Cheney came in the locker room after the game to give the team a pep talk
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago Was planning to come on here when I could access the internet again to kill the students for no-showing but honestly it’s hard to blame them after watching that.

I witnessed a few darties driving around town today. I provably would have chosen a darty over the game also.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Frank Martin played a 3-2 zone for much of the game that played right to our weakness - outside shooting

UMASS played without starters Matt Cross and Brandon Martin (hurt UCL in practice on Monday) who suffered recent injuries.
Deondre Dominguez has been playing well off the bench was also out today with a non-covid related illness.
PG Noah Fernandes has been out.

UMASS's Top 3 scorers were all true freshmen:
  • RJ Luis 14 points in 19 minutes on 7-11 FG, 7 rebounds playing with a faceguard. He could be Rookie of the Year in the A10. UMASS fans are worried he could get poached by P5's
  • PG Keon Thompson 15 points in 30 minutes 6-10 FG, 1-1 3P, 2-2 FT, 6 rebounds. 5 assists, 2 TO
  • Tafara Gapare 24 minutes off the bench for 11 points 4-9 FG, 2-4 3P7 rebounds
  • UMASS had 3 Freshmen score 40 points on 17-30 FG and they had 20 rebounds in 73 minutes
  • Our entire team scored 45 points on 16-65 FG and had 37 rebounds in 200 minutes
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Long weekend, bad seats, underwhelming team, student group run by middle aged adults and older. Scrap everything we've been doing and thinking about the student section and let them start over on their own
You’re probably right but I’m not sure if that’s likely to happen and I’m also not entirely convinced that it would solve the problem today. Todays problem can only be solved by winning. If we are winning it doesn’t matter who is running it (as right as you may be about that), they will show.

This team isn’t just not very good, they are extremely difficult to watch with how limited they are offensively. Aside from honoring teams that deserved our support today and getting a chance to see friends and fellow travelers, there are no basketball-related reasons for anyone to show up to watch this team right now. The good news is, in basketball you’re always a couple players away and this staff should be able to get players. But for the rest of this season it’s hard to justify the time, effort and expense.
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011