Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Blue Man »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago My friend/neighbor has a contract with The Ryan Center to supply a couple of food items for games and events. I mentioned to him last week that people were complaining about the really slow lines and service during games. He said that whomever he deals with there that manages it said it has been particularly bad during break because many of the employees working the food and drink stands are students that had gone home.

The person said it should be better now that the kids/workers are back. We'll see I guess.
See - I want to believe this. But students were all back for Saturday's game. I took my son to get a $9.50 "pizza" - because legit that's the only thing close to "food" in our half of the Ryan Center - and we got up with 1 min left in the first half to beat the line. We weren't in too bad of a line - like 6 people in front of us. That took about 15 minutes.

That's flat out unacceptable in this day and age - and we were early! Imagine the people who got up at halftime? What are the odds they even made it back before the U4 in the 2nd half? More likely - how much money does the Ryan Center lose when people say "F it, I don't need to eat or drink this bad" and leave the line.

They had one person at one cash register on either side of the booth for each line. That one person takes the order, goes and gets the order, then handles the register and completes the transaction.

How do you not have at least 1 more register per side, 1 person handling the transactions, and 1 person getting orders. You're charging a 400%-600% markup on everything you sell. You have the money. Hire a couple more workers, add a couple more stations, sell more stuff and stop pissing off your fans?

Just a thought.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Rhody gear isn't great. The jerseys/gear were great right before Hurley jumped ship. Since then......eh.

get rid of adidas
I'm not a huge adidas person, but whether it's adidas or Nike or UA, it can be done.
Yea, there definitely different Adidas "levels". We have the top Adidas jerseys I think? Not sure if that relates to retail level as well. Seems low for retail, and inconsistency. Different fonts, colors etc.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 1 year ago I went to the RC for the game on 1/21. My wife and I stopped in at the Bookstore in the Union before the game. No basketball jerseys there, okay I will pick one up at the store inside the arena. Go down to the Ryan Center, the only uniforms they had in that shop were for kids.

Did I miss something or is there no where on campus to buy a new jersey? was really looking forward to getting one of the Ocean State alternate uniform.
Maybe the store didn't have their whole inventory out for viewing? Website indicates jerseys are available

https://ramszone.uri.edu/MerchDetail?Me ... 9kbqXbMLcs
They don't have any current jerseys.

The selection in general is terrible

There's almost nothing with the main logo on it!

By the maim logo I mean the interlocking RI with the navy and keaney.

How can you not sell a single hoodie without that? There's almost no shirts with it either.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah but it's the only one and it's not even Adidas
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This thread was started 10 years ago and not one thing we bitch about (well except beers, then beers in our seats) has been addressed.
6 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

CUT POS ADIDAS BAIT

CUT CONCESSIONS BAIT

I’ll get pizzas out in 1 min flat
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago This thread was started 10 years ago and not one thing we bitch about (well except beers, then beers in our seats) has been addressed.
The booze in seats was a good move. Not many other changes yet.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Maybe it's not worth it? Maybe a person doing beers sells 20 beers an hour, (probably realistic from what I've seen) and URI gets 50 cents each. So they get $10 an hour per beer pourer can hander ....they probably have to pay the beer hander $15.... On the other hand, if it's possible to more slowly do the same thing...what'll ya have, credit card, hand over beers, next...not sure I've seen it. :lol:
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Maybe it's not worth it? Maybe a person doing beers sells 20 beers an hour, (probably realistic from what I've seen) and URI gets 50 cents each. So they get $10 an hour per beer pourer can hander ....they probably have to pay the beer hander $15.... On the other hand, if it's possible to more slowly do the same thing...what'll ya have, credit card, hand over beers, next...not sure I've seen it. :lol:
Yeah I don't think the beer sales are funding the Wi-Fi upgrade anytime soon...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

ain't nothing going to change as long as the RC is being (mis)managed by global/spectra/oak something or other. they just dont care.

Just like every other business out there today, good help is hard to find and for what they're paying game-day workers, don't expect this to change.

URI and the State of RI have zero interest in running the RC or Boss.

it's extremely unfortunate but it is what it is. Just lower our expectations, you won't be let down. go in thinking 'this is going to suck' and maybe it won't. but it probably will.
1 x
:lol:
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Bid the food and beverage out? Have, bring like Gansett Wrap type local business ? Boss does Subway, or used to.I guess the other thing is the RC is open for what 20 home games? Where the AMP has all kinds of events, just a comparison of venues.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Didn’t know where to put this but this is actual NIL. And a win win for all. Fans get real jerseys and players get paid. We need to start doing this.

3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Didn’t know where to put this but this is actual NIL. And a win win for all. Fans get real jerseys and players get paid. We need to start doing this.

This is all basic, free money just waiting to be given, and we don't do it
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea why isn’t that a standard?
0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agreed. We could do better with some of the basics and it would make a huge difference.

-in arena replays
-better streaming product
-better merch
-better concessions
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Almost forgot the most obvious…working wifi
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Didn’t know where to put this but this is actual NIL. And a win win for all. Fans get real jerseys and players get paid. We need to start doing this.

my first thought as to 'why' we don't do xzy here vs. what PC does is the state school vs. private school thing. the ability for a private school to do as they wish is much easier.

I am sure there are hoops to jump through for URI to have the state of RI to sign off on, or gets its cut of, before a player gets his check. or a vendor to produce is selected. There will need to be state house backroom deals with an apparel company. 'Rhode Island' on the front will cost you.
0 x
:lol:
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

RE: NIL. In addition to PC's above, I see UMass' NIL Collective twitter account very active. Assuming many others across CBB are as well. URI's account has yet to tweet once. Social media is how everyone finds everything these days. Need to get stuff out there more.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is the shot of the year at the Ryan Center but no replay

But, as I walked to the 200 level walkway I could watch the replay playing multiple times on the Monitors by the concession stands.

ESPN+ plays replays as the URI Media Production Team does a great job showing and commenting on replays on ESPN+ Broadcasts.

But no replays on the Big Screen in the Ryan Center. Why? Why? why?

So are there replays in the Ryan Center? YES - on Monitors in firers and also on my I-phone from ESPN+ APP.
Problem is the Ryan Center team does not show replays on the big screen. What a shame to not see this shot replayed in the RC.

I can cast and see replay on my Television at home. Couldn't the ESPN+ Broadcast team be capable of casting to Big Screen?

In the past it has been mentioned by some here that the A10 frowns on replays yet we have had multiple reports that replays are currently shown at other A10 venues - Duquesne being the latest as reported by our own Rhodyrudder who attended the URI game played this year in Pittsburgh.

2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Time to get to a game.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Scott Brand,
Maybe you could do a podcast with Nathan Robillard who did the call on this amazing shot, or Shane Donaldson, or Stone Freeman who was at the game and made a presentation at mid court to People's Credit Union last night, or Paige Messier who our great sideline reporter? Would be perfect timing to talk about how frustrating it is not not have replay in the arena for a shot like this.

Maybe get some answers and thoughts from any one of them and raise this long time issue to President Parlange's Desk.

It's gone on tooooooooo loooooong!!!!!!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Imagine sitting in the Ryan Center and being able to watch the replay of Ines's shot again from your seat?
Imagine Ines and her teammates and coaching staff being able to watch it again on replay?

It's beyond time to fix this.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Adam Bernstein was on the call last night, not Nathan Robillard.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Imagine sitting in the Ryan Center and being able to watch the replay of Ines's shot again from your seat?
Imagine Ines and her teammates and coaching staff being able to watch it again on replay?

I see half the crowd constantly looking for a replay too and then the obvious disappointment when it doesn't exist.
2 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Here is the shot of the year at the Ryan Center but no replay

But, as I walked to the 200 level walkway I could watch the replay playing multiple times on the Monitors by the concession stands.

ESPN+ plays replays as the URI Media Production Team does a great job showing and commenting on replays on ESPN+ Broadcasts.

So are there replays in the Ryan Center? YES - on Monitors in firers and also on my I-phone from ESPN+ APP.
Problem is the Ryan Center team does not show replays on the big screen. What a shame to not see this shot replayed in the RC.

I can cast and see replay on my Television at home. Couldn't the ESPN+ Broadcast team be capable of casting to Big Screen?

In the past it has been mentioned by some here that the A10 frowns on replays yet we have had multiple reports that replays are currently shown at other A10 venues - Duquesne being the latest as reported by our own Rhodyrudder who attended the URI game played this year in Pittsburgh.

In the season ticket open house back in May they mentioned that they didn't have enough room in the control room to set up the equipment they'd need for replay. They need to figure out a fix for this yesterday though
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Here is the shot of the year at the Ryan Center but no replay

In the season ticket open house back in May they mentioned that they didn't have enough room in the control room to set up the equipment they'd need for replay. They need to figure out a fix for this yesterday though
It's sad.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Scott Brand,
Maybe you could do a podcast with Nathan Robillard who did the call on this amazing shot, or Shane Donaldson, or Stone Freeman who was at the game and made a presentation at mid court to People's Credit Union last night, or Paige Messier who our great sideline reporter? Would be perfect timing to talk about how frustrating it is not not have replay in the arena for a shot like this.

Maybe get some answers and thoughts from any one of them and raise this long time issue to President Parlange's Desk.

Stone F is a great idea as a pod guest !!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Why not cut to the chase and get Thorr on a podcast and ask him all these questions? I mean this thread was started 10 years ago.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Also, has Silk been on one? I thought early on his analysis position was weak. However, I now enjoy his work.
Last edited by SGreenwell 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SG Edit: Fixed broken quote usage.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

It's sad.
It's kinda funny, actually. Talk about an investment that could be used to pump up the crowd....second biggest thing they could do behind improving the Ry-fi...
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I stumbled upon the following recently. I don’t recall if this has ever been posted before (found this in an A10 basketball guidelines PDF from ‘17-18 regarding replay).

Fwiw…

Scoreboard Replays - the following regulations apply:

1. Only one replay of a play or sequence is allowed.
2. May not show a replay during foul shots once the ball is in the shooter’s hand.
3. No officials judgement calls.
4. No technical fouls.
5. No embarrassing situations.
6. No replays of a player being injured.
7. Halftime or postgame highlights (following the above guidelines) are permissible.

PDF title: A10 2017-2018 Basketball Game Operations Manual.

I have not searched for anything more recent.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Good find. That said, only one replay of a play or sequence if you're following all of the other rules? "No, you don't get to show that massive dunk twice, not even at the half or postgame!" God our conference is so fucking lame
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I stumbled upon the following recently. I don’t recall if this has ever been posted before (found this in an A10 basketball guidelines PDF from ‘17-18 regarding replay).

Fwiw…

Scoreboard Replays - the following regulations apply:

1. Only one replay of a play or sequence is allowed.
2. May not show a replay during foul shots once the ball is in the shooter’s hand.
3. No officials judgement calls.
4. No technical fouls.
5. No embarrassing situations.
6. No replays of a player being injured.
7. Halftime or postgame highlights (following the above guidelines) are permissible.

PDF title: A10 2017-2018 Basketball Game Operations Manual.

I have not searched for anything more recent.
Past few years it's been said several times on KB that the A10 does not allow replays or the A10 frowns upon replays.
Past few months we have heard from some KB'ers that they have seen replays. Just recently from rhodyrudder who attended the URI at Duquesne game.

That said I'd gladly take 1 replay - better than what we have with zero.
I doubt sincerely that any penalty would come from A10 Offices if the 3/4 court heave by Ines Debroise was replayed 2x, 3x or 10x.

I watched it play 7 or more times on the monitors in the 200 level lobby by the closed concession stands just after she made the miraculous shot. So it's shown multiple times in the Ryan Center - just zero replays on the big monitor.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago Imagine sitting in the Ryan Center and being able to watch the replay of Ines's shot again from your seat?

I see half the crowd constantly looking for a replay too and then the obvious disappointment when it doesn't exist.
Yep. As soon as the shot went in I saw Ines, her teammates and coaches looking around for the replay. It's instinctive since the norm is to show replays of shots like that. Just not in Kingston.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Just saw on the Mason ESPN+, booths where dollar bills are blown around for person to collect. Nice
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Never seen something like this before from our official account. If they're so good, why don't we figure out a way to emulate them?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Just saw on the Mason ESPN+, booths where dollar bills are blown around for person to collect. Nice
That looked fun !!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Just saw on the Mason ESPN+, booths where dollar bills are blown around for person to collect. Nice
That looked fun !!
Exactly, maybe in the RC we could have; season ticket coupons, deals at concessions, voucher for Rhody merch, and some dollar bills for…….
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Never seen something like this before from our official account. If they're so good, why don't we figure out a way to emulate them?
All accounts have George Mason as well as VCU bands not only tops in the league, but normally mentioned as among the best in the country. Certainly worthy of emulation.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

The line to go through the metal detectors is literally 40 yards long right now.
There are 1500 people in line.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Question for Thorr: how many of the other A10 schools do the metal detector thing?
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Question for Thorr: how many of the other A10 schools do the metal detector thing?
Maybe the metal detectors and the PA system cranked up to 11 are blocking the wifi and the replays.

WTF

I mean, we get blasted by 30 and you can’t even look at your phone to take your mind off the game
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Question for Thorr: how many of the other A10 schools do the metal detector thing?
The metal detector is SOP at all of the Texas arenas I've been to, as well as a clear bag policy. I kind of assume it'll be an "every arena" thing soon enough, if it isn't already.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
The metal detector is SOP at all of the Texas arenas I've been to, as well as a clear bag policy. I kind of assume it'll be an "every arena" thing soon enough, if it isn't already.
They didn't do it at the woman's game the other night.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

If I have hearing issues later in life it’s because if the fuckingnPA system. It’s so fucking loud for no reason
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
They didn't do it at the woman's game the other night.
sexist?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Can we please get an usher at every entrance into the seating bowl for every men's and women's basketball game. People are trying to watch the damn game and it's a constant procession up and down the aisles blocking people's views. We can't keep people from leaving their seats, but we can keep people from getting back until there is a stoppage in play
0 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Can we please get an usher at every entrance into the seating bowl for every men's and women's basketball game. People are trying to watch the damn game and it's a constant procession up and down the aisles blocking people's views. We can't keep people from leaving their seats, but we can keep people from getting back until there is a stoppage in play
This! Other places seem to manage this or the fans self manage.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing I've been meaning to ask....how do you guys in the 100 sections like those seats? I sat in them for the women's game and by the end of the game, I had a sore ass! I mean, great view, but they have to be the most uncomfortable seats in the house. Ok, there's my bitch for the day. But really, they are not comfortable.
2 x