Ring of Honor

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Ring of Honor

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Great stuff and reminiscing above. Very much appreciated.

Another BIG day today! Go Rhody, past and present.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 year ago
kal-65 wrote: 1 year ago ALTHOUGH HE WASN'T A URI GRAD, COACH FRANK KEANEY SHOULD BE CONSIDERED
Carothers has a banner and he's not a URI grad.
Punt his ass… I’m still bitter he turned URI into a dry campus for that period of time. The audacity!!
3 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Unfortunate that those in the ring of honor were dishonored by the performance of the staff and players today.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
neil wrote: 1 year ago I was there. It was magical. Big ovations for all especially Kenny and al skinner. Chief’s speech was the best. He praised all of his teammates individually. Very humble. He closed by saying he was the only player from Rhode Island and. Went right into “I’m Rhode Island born” cheer. This 74 year old fan shed a tear.
Spent 20 minutes talking with assistant coach Carroll? And fifteen with Archie. Will post their comments later today. It has been 35 years. Get up on your feet!!!
Neil, curious to get your opinion regarding the Ring of Honor. I started watching around 1965, but I was a little kid. I assume you were in school in the 60s? Who would you put up in the Ring from the that decade? I've got Stephenson, Chubin, Rowell and Fultz. Anybody else?
Dennis McGovern?
He played just slightly before I became a fan, so I never saw him play. He does have the numbers.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wish they would have mentioned the guys who came out by name. Guys like Jim Harrick and Preston Murphy. I'm sure younger fans had no idea who they were.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Add Don Kaull to any list.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I wish they would have mentioned the guys who came out by name. Guys like Jim Harrick and Preston Murphy. I'm sure younger fans had no idea who they were.

Agree Billyboy. I thought they did a great job with Tommy, Silk and Kenny, but it wouldn't have taken much to mention the other names. I was able to ID Harrick, Murp and I guess Josh KIng from the 98 team. From 88 I could only pick out Bonzie, Jimmy Christian and Coach Skinner. That was a disappointment.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Add Don Kaull to any list.
Absolutely. He pretty much dedicated his entire adult life to Rhody basketball.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Somebody blew it. Silk and Tommy played the same 4 years, starting in the fall of '84 and finishing in the winter of '88.

2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Somebody blew it. Silk and Tommy played the same 4 years, starting in the fall of '84 and finishing in the winter of '88.

OK, so I thought the start date was weird on Silk but figured because it was before my time there was something I missed.

How do you mess something like this up?

I was going to let this special event breath and talk about an issue I had at a later date, but since we apparently can't get the starting year right for the leading scorer in program history, I guess it's fair game. I hate that we used modern colors and logos to honor players from the 80s. I have this same issue with all of our banners. We should be using the appropriate colors and logos from the eras being honored. For instance, here are the Stanley Cup banners for the Boston Bruins: Image

Such a seemingly small detail, but they use the specific logo for the specific team they're honoring. By doing this you truly honor and display your history. By adding a current secondary logo to the banners, a logo not used by the 88 team to my knowledge, you stop making it about them and make it about you in a way, if that makes any sense. Use the font that they had on the jersey, not our current font. Use the logo they played under, not our current logo. Use the colors they played under, not our current colors. If you're putting an image of their jersey in the rafters make it their jersey, not the current one
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I brought the error up on twitter and Kenny said, "We let them know".
4 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Yes tom Garrick was 85 to 88 4 years
Why do things get so screwed up this is an embarrassment!!!!!

I want to read someone apologizing for the error.

I do not get it. I just don't I really don't
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

We all complained about not having a ring of honor and what players would be in it.
We finally get it and in typical RHODY fashion they screw it up.
The date for silk is a stupid mistake but the banners should have gold in because that was the school colors then. Even the ram logo should be the full ram dunking a basketball.

Well we did get the ring of honor let’s hope next time goes a lot better.
But finally we have a start.
3 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Steve Lane was not at the dinner. The team’s student manager and trainer were there and on stage with the others. The also got plaques for their contributions to the team’s success.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Somebody blew it. Silk and Tommy played the same 4 years, starting in the fall of '84 and finishing in the winter of '88.

OK, so I thought the start date was weird on Silk but figured because it was before my time there was something I missed.

How do you mess something like this up?

I was going to let this special event breath and talk about an issue I had at a later date, but since we apparently can't get the starting year right for the leading scorer in program history, I guess it's fair game. I hate that we used modern colors and logos to honor players from the 80s. I have this same issue with all of our banners. We should be using the appropriate colors and logos from the eras being honored. For instance, here are the Stanley Cup banners for the Boston Bruins: Image

Such a seemingly small detail, but they use the specific logo for the specific team they're honoring. By doing this you truly honor and display your history. By adding a current secondary logo to the banners, a logo not used by the 88 team to my knowledge, you stop making it about them and make it about you in a way, if that makes any sense. Use the font that they had on the jersey, not our current font. Use the logo they played under, not our current logo. Use the colors they played under, not our current colors. If you're putting an image of their jersey in the rafters make it their jersey, not the current one
^^^^^^A lot of what you posted was my initial reaction. The new logo (less than 6 months old) should not be on those banners.
3 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It was both the BEST of Times and the WORST of Times yesterday at the Ryan Center. The all-time greats from the best Rhody teams ever (1988 and 1998) took to the floor at halftime to be honored. Before and after their appearance, one of the all time worst teams in the 100+ year history of URI hoops put on a performance on that same floor that exhibited some of the most inept play ever by a Ram squad.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago Yes tom Garrick was 85 to 88 4 years
Why do things get so screwed up this is an embarrassment!!!!!

I want to read someone apologizing for the error.

I do not get it. I just don't I really don't
It isn't Tommy's that is wrong. It's Silk's. They both started in the fall of '84. That's the 4 years......'84-'85, '85-'86, '86-'87 and '87-'88.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago It was both the BEST of Times and the WORST of Times yesterday at the Ryan Center. The all-time greats from the best Rhody teams ever (1988 and 1998) took to the floor at halftime to be honored. Before and after their appearance, one of the all time worst teams in the 100+ year history of URI hoops put on a performance on that same floor that exhibited some of the most inept play ever by a Ram squad.
I though the same thing while I was watching the game. I was remembering how great those players were and how great those teams were, and now I'm watching this. It was pretty sad.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

What does kenny greens say 85-90 is that correct??????
I thought the end of every season was the year end 85 is one end of 86 is two end 87 is 3 and end of 88 is 4
Sorry Sunday morning brain not clear.
Will someone please explain!!!!!
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

take the dates off?
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Ok had my coffee
Silk and Kenny are incorrect!!!!!!!! OMG
Got it
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This is just mindblowing. When they revealed the banners, which was right above my head, I was counting years on my fingers because the dates looked weird.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago What does kenny greens say 85-90 is that correct??????
I thought the end of every season was the year end 85 is one end of 86 is two end 87 is 3 and end of 88 is 4
Sorry Sunday morning brain not clear.
Will someone please explain!!!!!
Year ending in '85 started in the Fall of '84. That's the mistake.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

We only had 30+ years to figure things out….
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

85-90 would be 5 years. Should be 86-90.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago 85-90 would be 5 years. Should be 86-90.
He only played 5 games his first season and got a medical redshirt. Those years are correct.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... een-2.html
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

He only played 5 games his first season and got a medical redshirt. Those years are correct.

Then his wiki page is wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Gre ... born_1967)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Then his wiki page is wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Gre ... born_1967)
Yes, he definitely played in '85-'86. That's when he played with the really thick glasses.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Well at least they got 2 right lol
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Well at least they got 2 right lol
And as the old Meatloaf song goes.... :lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Well at least they got 2 right lol
And as the old Meatloaf song goes.... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

It also seems dumb to put the new Ram head on the jerseys when they obviously didn’t have that on theirs when they played.

One would think their actual jersey design would be on the banner.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is cool.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I know we laugh at the date gaffe, but this was looong overdue for these two teams. I hope they feel appreciated now as two of the best teams in URI history. I'm glad I not only witnessed this honor, but also watched both teams play and enjoyed every second of it.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I know we laugh at the date gaffe, but this was looong overdue for these two teams. I hope they feel appreciated now as two of the best teams in URI history. I'm glad I not only witnessed this honor, but also watched both teams play and enjoyed every second of it.
Kenny definitely did.

3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 918555007/

“The whole ceremony was special,” Owens said. “Just to be recognized with five other great players, especially two guys I played with, Kenny Green and Tom Garrick. They were special players. To be recognized along with Tyson Wheeler, Cuttino Mobley and Antonio Reynolds Dean, that’s a great six. To be the first and to be a part of that is really special. We all appreciate it. I know the 1997-98 guys weren’t here but they appreciate it. We all communicate with each other.”

“The Ring of Honor was a long time coming,” Green said. “We were excited to have it happen. We lost a lot of people along the way who couldn’t be here and that’s the sad part about it. We’re just happy that it happened and hopefully we can start a trend where they will continue this every year in terms of celebrating teams and players from the past.”
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 918555007/

“The whole ceremony was special,” Owens said. “Just to be recognized with five other great players, especially two guys I played with, Kenny Green and Tom Garrick. They were special players. To be recognized along with Tyson Wheeler, Cuttino Mobley and Antonio Reynolds Dean, that’s a great six. To be the first and to be a part of that is really special. We all appreciate it. I know the 1997-98 guys weren’t here but they appreciate it. We all communicate with each other.”

“The Ring of Honor was a long time coming,” Green said. “We were excited to have it happen. We lost a lot of people along the way who couldn’t be here and that’s the sad part about it. We’re just happy that it happened and hopefully we can start a trend where they will continue this every year in terms of celebrating teams and players from the past.”
Since it's probably a little too soon to celebrate the Hurley teams, let's do '78 and '93 next.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think I recognized Andre Green from the 88 team but didn’t see Johnny Evans ??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Great piece on Silk. What I would give to see a player like him again in a Rhody uniform. He was so tough and soooo good.

1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Have to think there is something in the works for Don Kaull in the second year inductees.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Great piece on Silk. What I would give to see a player like him again in a Rhody uniform. He was so tough and soooo good.

Who does the voiceover for these videos?
0 x
Go Rhody
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Silk was one of a kind! The greatest Rhody point guard I ever saw play. Granted I have only been a Rhody fan since September of 1974.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago Silk was one of a kind! The greatest Rhody point guard I ever saw play. Granted I have only been a Rhody fan since September of 1974.
I agree. Tyson was close, but Silk was the best.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Have to think there is something in the works for Don Kaull in the second year inductees.
There had better be. And for Jim Norman, too. Those guys were URI.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Great piece on Silk. What I would give to see a player like him again in a Rhody uniform. He was so tough and soooo good.

Really good feature explaining when he got shot and had to live with a bullet inside his shoulder , you said it right he was special
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

As good as this Silk bit is he was even better.

I was there, trust me.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago As good as this Silk bit is he was even better.

I was there, trust me.
100%. Even though Jiggy is my all-time favorite player, Silk is the best guard I've ever seen at URI and only Sly was a better player, but even that might be debatable.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I was a tad too young to remember Jiggy - I was alive, but wasn't really following sports much at the time. Owens was amazing. Him and Tyson were the best two point guards I've seen play for Rhody, with Silk getting the slight edge for me.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”