Ring of Honor

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Ring of Honor

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Are we putting coaches up there?
One of the criteria is you had to have graduated from URI, so the only coach that would really fit the bill as someone who graduated from here and made a tournament as head coach would be Ernie Calverley, correct?

If you ignore the graduate from URI part of things for coaches only, then Frank Keaney is a no brainer. Then you have some interesting cases.

Tom Penders is a member of the College Basketball Hall of Fame, while he's not a member of the URI Athletics Hall of Fame individually he'll be a member as part of the 87-88 team that's being inducted, made a Sweet 16 here, and this was probably his second most successful coaching stop, but he was only here for two years.

Al Skinner will be a member of the URI Athletics Hall of Fame when he's inducted as an assistant coach of the 87-88 team, was highly instrumental in building both teams being honored even if he wasn't the head coach of either team, and made two NCAA tournaments in his nine years as head coach here.

Jim Harrick will be a member of the URI Athletics Hall of Fame when he's inducted as head coach of the 97-98 team, went to two NCAA tournaments, went to the Elite Eight and we won our first A10 tournament with him as coach. Only being here two years and the sanctions could be reasons not to induct him if you're looking for them.

If you're going to induct any of the non-Keaney coaches the ceremonies this year are the time to do it. All three are connected to the two teams going into the Hall of Fame and 6 players going into the Ring of Honor. Also, not to be morbid, but Penders (77), Skinner (70), and Harrick (84) aren't exactly getting any younger and I'd rather give them their flowers while they're around to enjoy them
Caruthers is a graduate?
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Are we putting coaches up there?
One of the criteria is you had to have graduated from URI, so the only coach that would really fit the bill as someone who graduated from here and made a tournament as head coach would be Ernie Calverley, correct?

If you ignore the graduate from URI part of things for coaches only, then Frank Keaney is a no brainer. Then you have some interesting cases.

Tom Penders is a member of the College Basketball Hall of Fame, while he's not a member of the URI Athletics Hall of Fame individually he'll be a member as part of the 87-88 team that's being inducted, made a Sweet 16 here, and this was probably his second most successful coaching stop, but he was only here for two years.

Al Skinner will be a member of the URI Athletics Hall of Fame when he's inducted as an assistant coach of the 87-88 team, was highly instrumental in building both teams being honored even if he wasn't the head coach of either team, and made two NCAA tournaments in his nine years as head coach here.

Jim Harrick will be a member of the URI Athletics Hall of Fame when he's inducted as head coach of the 97-98 team, went to two NCAA tournaments, went to the Elite Eight and we won our first A10 tournament with him as coach. Only being here two years and the sanctions could be reasons not to induct him if you're looking for them.

If you're going to induct any of the non-Keaney coaches the ceremonies this year are the time to do it. All three are connected to the two teams going into the Hall of Fame and 6 players going into the Ring of Honor. Also, not to be morbid, but Penders (77), Skinner (70), and Harrick (84) aren't exactly getting any younger and I'd rather give them their flowers while they're around to enjoy them
Caruthers is a graduate?
Nope!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago At least bring in Stanley Wright to represent the '78 team. Not only was he a great player but one of the best representatives for the basketball program the school has ever had.
Really good call Billy, Stanley should be up there for sure
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The criteria includes coaches.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Great, be a fan of that classless program. Tire Iron Barnes shouldn't be a member of any Hall of Fame and shouldn't be honored. I do appreciate PC helping make my point at least
You give little consideration for where and how these kids grew up.
Jimmy Baron grew up in East Greenwich
Marvin went to Central High School
Sly went to Lee High School

Sly needed the money to support his mother and sisters/brothers. He went to the NBA skipping his Senior Year at URI.
Don’t blame him at all.
So he didn’t come back and get his degree. Most don’t.
Funny how we all want players like Sly and Lamar to come to URI but then if they don’t get the degree it’s “see ya”
SLY. SPENT. TIME. IN. PRISON. FOR. KIDNAPPING.

Good lord, I don't care how tough your background is, when you're on a college campus it's ridiculously easy to not hit someone with a tire iron. It's ridiculously easy to not kidnap someone. The vast majority of people, from all conditions and walks of life literally do it everyday. It's so fucking easy that you actually have to go out of your way to suck so much that you do one of those things. Like, even average bad people don't do those things.. Please grow up, neither person should be honored by their respective universities
Not sure if you are familiar with Sly's life. This article may sway you just a little. As far as a player, having watched both in person, Sly was very close to Lamar's equal. Maybe a little lazy at times, but when needed, he was unstoppable at both ends of the floor. But you could probably say that about Lamar as well.
https://www.celticslife.com/2012/05/wha ... liams.html
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Honestly, it not only doesn't sway me a little, it makes me feel worse about him.

"He received a five-year suspended sentence in 1991 on assault, criminal trespass, and unlawful restraint charges against a woman in Connecticut."

So pretty much the same thing he did in the early 2000's that put him in jail he did 10 years earlier as well? He can't even use the "it was a one time mistake" argument
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

RR02 I'm not pushing for inclusion into the "Ring", just a little empathy for those that weren't lucky enough to have the same upbringing that many of the folks on this board have enjoyed. He always appeared to be a nice enough kid. I'm sure there are others that actually knew him a little close up. It would be interesting to know what they thought of him.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago RR02 I'm not pushing for inclusion into the "Ring", just a little empathy for those that weren't lucky enough to have the same upbringing that many of the folks on this board have enjoyed. He always appeared to be a nice enough kid. I'm sure there are others that actually knew him a little close up. It would be interesting to know what they thought of him.
A lot of people have had it a lot worse than Sly and don't do the shit he did to other people
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

kal-65 wrote: 1 year ago ALTHOUGH HE WASN'T A URI GRAD, COACH FRANK KEANEY SHOULD BE CONSIDERED
Carothers has a banner and he's not a URI grad.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KINGSTON, R.I. - The 2022-23 basketball season will feature a celebration of the two of the greatest men's teams in Rhode Island history, as the 1987-88 and 1997-98 squads will be inducted into the Rhode Island Athletics Hall of Fame. In conjunction, three members from each of the two teams will become the first members of the newly created Rhode Island Athletics Ring of Honor.

Celebrating two of the greatest teams, but leaving out the greatest team from 1978. Often discussion is about the 3 teams that were all 10 years apart.

The 1978 team has had several players pass away. Why not honor players from that team sooner rather than later?

In fact, why not invite every player from all 3 of these teams to a Recognition?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago KINGSTON, R.I. - The 2022-23 basketball season will feature a celebration of the two of the greatest men's teams in Rhode Island history, as the 1987-88 and 1997-98 squads will be inducted into the Rhode Island Athletics Hall of Fame. In conjunction, three members from each of the two teams will become the first members of the newly created Rhode Island Athletics Ring of Honor.

Celebrating two of the greatest teams, but leaving out the greatest team from 1978. Often discussion is about the 3 teams that were all 10 years apart.

The 1978 team has had several players pass away. Why not honor players from that team sooner rather than later?

In fact, why not invite every player from all 3 of these teams to a Recognition?
Why not invite 5 teams? Why not just one? You'd probably have to ask Thor why they settled on two. No one here is likely to have the answer.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago KINGSTON, R.I. - The 2022-23 basketball season will feature a celebration of the two of the greatest men's teams in Rhode Island history, as the 1987-88 and 1997-98 squads will be inducted into the Rhode Island Athletics Hall of Fame. In conjunction, three members from each of the two teams will become the first members of the newly created Rhode Island Athletics Ring of Honor.

Why not invite 5 teams? Why not just one? You'd probably have to ask Thor why they settled on two. No one here is likely to have the answer.
Did you read the information? Did you read why they are inviting 1988 and 1998 guys?
They are recognizing the two teams that went to the NCAA’s in 1988 and 1998.
There has often been reference among Rhode Fans about how we had great teams 3 times, all 10 years apart. 1978, 1988, 1998.
So you ask me why not 5, why not 1? I’d ask why not 3? Why ignore the best if the 3 teams? Why not all 3 teams?
Ask Rhody Vault - he’s the guy taking the credit for this
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

imo the 78 ieam was our best team; should have beaten duke but we shot near 33% from the foul line
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

kal-65 wrote: 1 year ago imo the 78 ieam was our best team; should have beaten duke but we shot near 33% from the foul line
Agree.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

nothing says 'honor' more than beating up women
1 x
:lol:
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Did you read the information? Did you read why they are inviting 1988 and 1998 guys?
There has often been reference among Rhode Fans about how we had great teams 3 times, all 10 years apart. 1978, 1988, 1998.
So you ask me why not 5, why not 1? I’d ask why not 3? Why ignore the best if the 3 teams? Why not all 3 teams?
You're the one who's fired up about this. If it was up to me, I'd only focus on one team per year, or every couple of years, because then you can stretch out the initiative longer. You'd have to ask someone in Athletics why they decided to do two teams at once - instead of one team, or three teams, or every decent team.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You're the one who's fired up about this. If it was up to me, I'd only focus on one team per year, or every couple of years, because then you can stretch out the initiative longer. You'd have to ask someone in Athletics why they decided to do two teams at once - instead of one team, or three teams, or every decent team.
Don’t care. Poorly done. Screw it.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We don’t honor past teams/greats - people bitch.

We now will honor past teams/greats - people still bitch.

Like I’ve said and will continue to say.

People will bitch and moan on this board just for the sake of it.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago We don’t honor past teams/greats - people bitch.

Jermaine Harris told that me that same thing
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago We don’t honor past teams/greats - people bitch.

Welcome to the idea of the message board.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago RR02 I'm not pushing for inclusion into the "Ring", just a little empathy for those that weren't lucky enough to have the same upbringing that many of the folks on this board have enjoyed. He always appeared to be a nice enough kid. I'm sure there are others that actually knew him a little close up. It would be interesting to know what they thought of him.
Empathy for habitual woman beaters and rapists is a load of horse shit.

Plenty of people grow up in terrible situations and DONT. RAPE. WOMEN.

Holy hell. Is this the hill you want to die on?

I don’t give a shit that he “appeared” to be a nice guy from a distance 4 decades ago. He’s in the ring of “biggest pieces of shit to be associated with this program” and can join that ring of honor with Alwayne Bigby and Mike Powell.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

So true. And I put people who think black coaches should go coach at a HBCU, and people who threaten to punch in the face anyone who says a bad word about their AD on the same hill.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

So true. And I put people who think black coaches should go coach at a HBCU, and people who threaten to punch in the face anyone who says a bad word about their AD on the same hill.
The only parties you’ve ever been invited to are meetings.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fwiw Sly locked his wife/girlfriend in the closet when the cops came and hence the charge. Did 5 years and has been an upstanding citizen for a long long time. Some of the labels being thrown around about him are just flat out wrong. And he was the best player to ever wear Keaney blue. His upbringing is unimaginable to most here. Something should be done to recognize him.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The Ring of Honor ceremony scheduled for this Saturday will feature Carlton "Silk" Owens, Tom Garrick and Kenny Green.

The three men - all key members of the 1987-88 Sweet 16 team - will be in attendance for Saturday's game against Massachusetts. They will be honored at halftime, with their names and jersey numbers unveiled in the Ryan Center.

Owens, Garrick and Green will all be in attendance both for the Hall of Fame induction dinner Friday night in Newport and for the Ring of Honor ceremony Saturday. The Ring of Honor ceremony will be conducted during halftime of the men's basketball game against Massachusetts on Saturday, Feb. 18.

The initial class for the Ring of Honor also includes Cuttino Mobley, Tyson Wheeler and Antonio Reynolds Dean. However, due to scheduling conflicts, the three key members of the 1997-98 Elite 8 squad are unable to attend. The unveiling of their names and jerseys will be postponed until a future date to be determined.

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/2/13/mens ... green.aspx

A little bit disappointing that the 97-98 players won't be able to make it. It would be a nice touch if the Ryan Center plays music that came out during that 87-88 season throughout the game as a nod to that era. I doubt we have 87-88 uniforms the current players could wear, unless they've done a great job of hiding them, but hopefully we'll be wearing our Keaney uniforms if we don't have 87-88 ones
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago The Ring of Honor ceremony scheduled for this Saturday will feature Carlton "Silk" Owens, Tom Garrick and Kenny Green.

The three men - all key members of the 1987-88 Sweet 16 team - will be in attendance for Saturday's game against Massachusetts. They will be honored at halftime, with their names and jersey numbers unveiled in the Ryan Center.

Owens, Garrick and Green will all be in attendance both for the Hall of Fame induction dinner Friday night in Newport and for the Ring of Honor ceremony Saturday. The Ring of Honor ceremony will be conducted during halftime of the men's basketball game against Massachusetts on Saturday, Feb. 18.

The initial class for the Ring of Honor also includes Cuttino Mobley, Tyson Wheeler and Antonio Reynolds Dean. However, due to scheduling conflicts, the three key members of the 1997-98 Elite 8 squad are unable to attend. The unveiling of their names and jerseys will be postponed until a future date to be determined.

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/2/13/mens ... green.aspx

A little bit disappointing that the 97-98 players won't be able to make it. It would be a nice touch if the Ryan Center plays music that came out during that 87-88 season throughout the game as a nod to that era. I doubt we have 87-88 uniforms the current players could wear, unless they've done a great job of hiding them, but hopefully we'll be wearing our Keaney uniforms if we don't have 87-88 ones
All they had to do was look at Brown's and Georgia's schedules to figure out that Tyson and ARD wouldn't be able to come.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tommy Garrick, one of my favorites.

2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good find , him and Silk in the backcourt was amazing
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

The 88 team brings back great memories for me. I was so proud of that team. Looking forward to Saturday.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

For me that was the biggest win in our history….beating Syracuse in the DeanDome
2 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That Cuse 88 win and the Kansas 98 win so hard to pick one over the other
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Looks like Lamar Odom is in RI for the festivities
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 1 year ago That Cuse 88 win and the Kansas 98 win so hard to pick one over the other
Kansas in 98. #1 overall seed. Paul Pierce. We were an afterthought. That put the world on notice.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Tommy Garrick, one of my favorites.

This kind of stuff (videos) always gets me fired up!

I hope I am here long enough to watch some about future stars, Archie and his teams.

Go Rhody!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Tommy Garrick, one of my favorites.

This kind of stuff (videos) always gets me fired up!

I hope I am here long enough to watch some about future stars, Archie and his teams.

Go Rhody!
I know it I can watch these features over and over and never get sick of them
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

1938730E-FD82-4980-964B-3012F23978C1.jpeg
B4721033-F0DF-410A-AAA8-D31BECB12387.jpeg
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Steve was very funny. He introduced Silk as the number 2 scorer in Rhody history, having held the top spot until just recently when George Santos passed him after that 300-point game he had against Fordham.

He also mentioned those lost, including Jim Norman, Don Kaull and from the ‘98 team, John Bennett.

Tommy and Preston were the players who spoke, and Al and Jim were the coaches. Penders was on video, along with many of the players.

It was a great evening, and the squads will be honored during two timeouts tomorrow.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cool pics , is that Jimmy Christian and Steve Lane next to Garrick ??

Josh King next to Preston ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Cool pics , is that Jimmy Christian and Steve Lane next to Garrick ??

yep
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago Cool pics , is that Jimmy Christian and Steve Lane next to Garrick ??

And Bonzie next to Silk.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I was there. It was magical. Big ovations for all especially Kenny and al skinner. Chief’s speech was the best. He praised all of his teammates individually. Very humble. He closed by saying he was the only player from Rhode Island and. Went right into “I’m Rhode Island born” cheer. This 74 year old fan shed a tear.
Spent 20 minutes talking with assistant coach Carroll? And fifteen with Archie. Will post their comments later today. It has been 35 years. Get up on your feet!!!
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago Steve was very funny. He introduced Silk as the number 2 scorer in Rhody history, having held the top spot until just recently when George Santos passed him after that 300-point game he had against Fordham.

He also mentioned those lost, including Jim Norman, Don Kaull and from the ‘98 team, John Bennett.

Tommy and Preston were the players who spoke, and Al and Jim were the coaches. Penders was on video, along with many of the players.

It was a great evening, and the squads will be honored during two timeouts tomorrow.
Was Lamar there? I know he didn't play on that '98 team (if he had, we might have a national championship). But he was in town, so I assumed it was to attend this.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

neil wrote: 1 year ago I was there. It was magical. Big ovations for all especially Kenny and al skinner. Chief’s speech was the best. He praised all of his teammates individually. Very humble. He closed by saying he was the only player from Rhode Island and. Went right into “I’m Rhode Island born” cheer. This 74 year old fan shed a tear.
Spent 20 minutes talking with assistant coach Carroll? And fifteen with Archie. Will post their comments later today. It has been 35 years. Get up on your feet!!!
The Tommy Garrick story with his dad at the games and his siblings giving their dad the play by play is one of the best stories in URI basketball history. I'll never forget it.
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Looking forward to this special day. Will be there with The Dude and my 7yr old son.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

neil wrote: 1 year ago I was there. It was magical. Big ovations for all especially Kenny and al skinner. Chief’s speech was the best. He praised all of his teammates individually. Very humble. He closed by saying he was the only player from Rhode Island and. Went right into “I’m Rhode Island born” cheer. This 74 year old fan shed a tear.
Neil, curious to get your opinion regarding the Ring of Honor. I started watching around 1965, but I was a little kid. I assume you were in school in the 60s? Who would you put up in the Ring from the that decade? I've got Stephenson, Chubin, Rowell and Fultz. Anybody else?
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago Steve was very funny. He introduced Silk as the number 2 scorer in Rhody history, having held the top spot until just recently when George Santos passed him after that 300-point game he had against Fordham.

Was Lamar there? I know he didn't play on that '98 team (if he had, we might have a national championship). But he was in town, so I assumed it was to attend this.
Nobody mentioned Lamar, and I didn’t see him.
But that doesn’t prove anything.
Hopefully he’s there today.
Jerry D was there, so at least 4 head coaches.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Neil, curious to get your opinion regarding the Ring of Honor. I started watching around 1965, but I was a little kid. I assume you were in school in the 60s? Who would you put up in the Ring from the that decade? I've got Stephenson, Chubin, Rowell and Fultz. Anybody else?
Dennis McGovern?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Very nice to have a ceremony like this , glad those teams are finally celebrated
2 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Mcgovern was one of my all time favorites. I was a freshman in 1967. Your choices are good. I might add Larry Johnson. He once against Maine hit for 40. No 3 point line.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago 1938730E-FD82-4980-964B-3012F23978C1.jpegB4721033-F0DF-410A-AAA8-D31BECB12387.jpeg
Thanks for posting the expects and summary, RhodyRudder.
0 x