Greenhouse at Peckham Farm

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Greenhouse at Peckham Farm

Unread post by OBRAM »

I am in favor of a greenhouse but using prime farm land which is some of the best in RI and putting this structure on it is awful. URI has acres of forest land north of the campus that could be used instead.
Rhode Island has a lot of forest land but little farm land like exists at Peckham Farm.
URI has already destroyed acres of prime farm land that
I remember being used to grow potatoes that are now parking lots across from the football practice fields a long Plains Road. Why destroy more farm land when alternatives exist?
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Re: Greenhouse at Peckham Farm

Unread post by spookydog »

OBRAM wrote: 1 year ago I am in favor of a greenhouse but using prime farm land which is some of the best in RI and putting this structure on it is awful. URI has acres of forest land north of the campus that could be used instead.
Rhode Island has a lot of forest land but little farm land like exists at Peckham Farm.
I remember being used to grow potatoes that are now parking lots across from the football practice fields a long Plains Road. Why destroy more farm land when alternatives exist?
Cheaper than clearing forest land is my guess?
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

OBRAM wrote: 1 year ago I am in favor of a greenhouse but using prime farm land which is some of the best in RI and putting this structure on it is awful. URI has acres of forest land north of the campus that could be used instead.
I don't think the land north of campus is a good idea for this project, however isn't Alton Jones basically completely unused at this point?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It seems a giant greenhouse with research opportunities for best practices on indoor growing and vegetable varieties would be a perfect use for this land. Alton Jones is 2300 acres, surely they could site a 20 acre greenhouse somewhere

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 906516007/

https://web.uri.edu/alton-jones/
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines