2/15 | VCU | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: 2/15 | VCU | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

None of our bigs were able to cleanly handle a pass that had a little mustard on it tonight. It’s like the ball had to have grease on it. Even Rory dropped one (I believe he ended up with 2 free throws, but if he handles the pass cleanly, it’s probably an and one.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

luke wrote: 1 year ago This game seemed to completely turn around after a fake foul call against Weston on an uncontested offensive rebound that would have resulted in an uncontested put back . how they came up with afoul call when there was no VCU player within three feet of Weston . Does anyone remember that play
and were my eyes deceiving me ? There was no one in front of Weston and the VCU player was two steps behind Weston . Was I hallucinating or is that what happened ? The announcers said there was nothing . If that is what happened that has to have been the most bogus call of all time.
He pushed the kid in the back.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Carey had 4 turnovers. Ish had 5. Just pointing that out.
Half of Ish’s turnovers was Tchikou not being able to catch a ball
This is true. Pretty sure Tchikou missed like 2-3 perfect passes because he winces when a ball is thrown to him.
If you have been playing with him all season maybe you go with the change up instead of the fastball from about 5-6 feet away?
3 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

And Carey had more rebounds and assists. I love Ish. That's not my point. I don't get all of the Carey bashing.
The Carey bashing comes from his consistent problem with turnovers. How many times a game does he literally dribble it off of his own foot or throw the ball 10 feet in the air?
He is what he is. He's not a ball handler. But with the make up of this team, he is forced to handle the ball much more than he should. What do you suggest we do instead?

I would have preferred Thomas bringing the ball up more, but he did play a ton of minutes and the entire second half on a bum ankle. Maybe Archie was trying to give him a little rest by playing him off the ball. But if that’s the case, why have him in the game? Seems we were playing 4 on 5 there for a few minutes.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 1 year ago Wow! That last minute is the most stressed I’ve been at a home game in over 3 years!

I had no issue with the time out…especially given the shot that VCU ultimately took. If you told me VCU was going to end up with anything but a layup or dunk I would take it. They made a jump shot. That was probably only the 3rd or fourth jumper they made in the entire game. Give Jackson credit. He made the shot.

On a side note…The look on Blue Man’s face after Bassey’s second three was worth the price of admission!😂😂😂
It was quite literally the only jump shot they hit in the second half. Take chances with that shot 9/10 times but he should have had more resistance
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Also at least one of the passes to tchikou I think ish whipped in 95 mph lol
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodyg wrote: 1 year ago Worst loss in RI history? Besides the Stanford game of course or some heartbreakers from the Baron era
This loss isn’t even in the Top 100. This game was meaningless. They are going nowhere and outside of Ish nobody on this team who we feel will be an important part of the rebuilding looked exciting. Sorry I’m just not counting Thomas as part of the future. Someone earlier this year thought the Dayton win was one of the best at the Ryan center-lol. The whole league stinks this year and these games don’t even upset me in the least compared to Baron, Hurley and Cox days. This team stinks. It was surprising that we almost won. We haven’t won on the road in years. There is nothing about this team that is exciting
Last edited by RamStock 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Carey had 4 turnovers. Ish had 5. Just pointing that out.
This is true. Pretty sure Tchikou missed like 2-3 perfect passes because he winces when a ball is thrown to him.
No, no he didn’t. Ish threw one off the rim that was intended for him, then on the break overthrew him and while Alex still should have gathered and finished it was far from a perfect pass. Did you miss the not easy to catch bounce pass from Carey on a PnR that he caught and finished and got fouled?

He has a ways to go and muscle to add but if you can’t see the potential from a first year big then I don’t know what to tell ya. He also seems like a really good kid giving his all for the program and considering the events of the last week that shouldn’t be taken for granted.
6 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRam86 wrote: 1 year ago

The Carey bashing comes from his consistent problem with turnovers. How many times a game does he literally dribble it off of his own foot or throw the ball 10 feet in the air?
He is what he is. He's not a ball handler. But with the make up of this team, he is forced to handle the ball much more than he should. What do you suggest we do instead?

I would have preferred Thomas bringing the ball up more, but he did play a ton of minutes and the entire second half on a bum ankle. Maybe Archie was trying to give him a little rest by playing him off the ball. But if that’s the case, why have him in the game? Seems we were playing 4 on 5 there for a few minutes.
Besides the ankle I think we had Carey doing more ball handling in the back court when they started trapping the first pass. He’s taller can see over defenders a bit better than Thomas. Thomas used more as the outlet.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

The timeout they needed was during that stretch where the lead kept dwindling and dwindling and dwindling, and they have to get a bucket this time, have to get a bucket this time, HAVE TO GET A BUCKET THIS TIME!!!!!!

PLEASE
CALL
A
TIMEOUT!!!
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
YOU
HAVE
THREE
LEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sigh
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Archie ran some really good stuff to get Jalen and Ish shots down the stretch. Entire arena knew where the ball was going and Carey on that curl and then getting Ish downhill with an open lane were really well designed plays.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

No, no he didn’t. Ish threw one off the rim that was intended for him, then on the break overthrew him and while Alex still should have gathered and finished it was far from a perfect pass. Did you miss the not easy to catch bounce pass from Carey on a PnR that he caught and finished and got fouled?

He has a ways to go and muscle to add but if you can’t see the potential from a first year big then I don’t know what to tell ya. He also seems like a really good kid giving his all for the program and considering the events of the last week that shouldn’t be taken for granted.
I do notice his improvement throughout the season. I’m not only talking about Ish’s passes to him, there were a couple others that he should’ve caught from other guys. That’s all I’m saying. Same with Samb…
Last edited by RhodyRams916 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Imagine if the ref called Carey for the travel on the inbound with under a minute left. Mike Rhodes was going nuts. The ref gave him a mulligan.
7 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I do notice his improvement throughout the season. I’m not only talking about Ish’s passes to him, there were a couple others that he should’ve caught from other guys. That’s all I’m saying. Same with Samb…
I thought the one where he was alone in the front court was the most egregious. He is no doubt a work in progress but I do see progress.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I thought the one where he was alone in the front court was the most egregious. He is no doubt a work in progress but I do see progress.
Yep
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

damram wrote: 1 year ago Imagine if the ref called Carey for the travel on the inbound with under a minute left. Mike Rhodes was going nuts. The ref gave him a mulligan.
Yeah…what the hell was that? How does he not get a traveling call there?
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

rhody rudder , go onto espn= and watch the Weston play again . I have watched it several times .Weston certainly did not push anyone in the back .
In fact the VCU player was on Weston's back and behind Weston and could have been called for a foul for trying to climb over him .i did notice
that Weston did extend his left arm out 90 degrees to his left side to try to fend off the VCU player trying to climb over him but that was all in Weston's attempt to box out the VCU player . I think it should have been a foul on VCU or a no call at worst . Weston grabbed the rebound in front of the VCU player with a clear space to lay it in . From that point on VCU took over the game instead of being down 14 points . Of course URi still had plenty of opportunities to win this game but it seemed this play was the turning point for some reason.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I had no issue with a TO to set our defense

The only thing I didn’t like was not guarding the inbounds guy and they got the ball up the floor too quickly that gave them a decent look

I’m an Archie guy though so all is good and this year isn’t about wins and losses

Wow if VCU is the best our league has to offer it’s sure a down year for the league
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Now I have. No problem with the TO. On the last play and made shot it always seems when the in bound catch is to a player that is moving laterally or going toward their hoop with momentum, it is trouble. I thought this was a poor edition of a VCU team. The inability of Alx to catch the ball, Jalen’s WTF tornovers, and Bassy’s passes out of bounds are all baffling things we see over and over. Thought we did great job defending Baldwin, for me, that was key.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Season is a wash so it doesn’t really matter, but have to pray Thomas’ ankle isn’t a real issue

I half jokingly mentioned it in the Freeman thread, but if Thomas is down we’re literally playing walk ons next game
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago This game was proof that it's not going to take us 4 to 5 years to compete for A-10 titles

That trash VCU team is NUMBER ONE in the A-10 right now! And we already beat number two and three!

Archie will dominate this league again. It's only a matter of time. And it won't take much of it.
Why was this game proof of URI turning the program around? This was a home game against a team that frankly isn’t very good despite being in first place. We haven’t won on the road in what seems like a lifetime. The whole league is terrible right now. I would hope it wouldn’t take 4-5 years or Archie was a failure here. As mentioned before basketball can be turned around much easier than football and we need to get back in the transfer portal and bring much better talent to this team than we have now. There is not many players other than Ish that we would lose sleep if they left the program. I think Archie is a good coach, but will not win without refreshing the talent and then that will take a little time for everything to gel.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Season is a wash so it doesn’t really matter, but have to pray Thomas’ ankle isn’t a real issue

I half jokingly mentioned it in the Freeman thread, but if Thomas is down we’re literally playing walk ons next game
Pierre and Ball have combined for 1 minute played, according to Sports Reference. I think if they could play at all, a la Anthony Malhoit, we probably would have seen them by now, since last night and in previous games Jalen Carey has had to play the point. If Thomas has to miss a game, I think Carey and Ish are the 1s, and we don't see a walk-on unless one of them is unavailable as well.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Martin is available too
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

E376DC57-C6BE-47F4-B32A-EA3090F26A3C.jpeg
9835E1DF-5799-48E4-83C3-6B14DACF10D2.jpeg
4 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Hahaha blame Carey. He only hit l the go ahead shot.

How about blaming Archie for calling the dumbest timeout of all time?
Holy shit dude, you’re focusing on a single decision the coach made. What about VCU going on an 11-1 run or whatever the fuck it was that got them back into the game?
That single decision could not have been worse.

Everyone in my section was like what the fuck?

Zero reason to call that. Zero.
Your whole section had that same knee jerk reaction? So, what you are basically saying is that VCU was stupid not to set up a play during their timeout, but planned on Archie calling one later so they could, or they never practiced any similar end of game situations.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RAM67 wrote: 1 year ago

Holy shit dude, you’re focusing on a single decision the coach made. What about VCU going on an 11-1 run or whatever the fuck it was that got them back into the game?

Your whole section had that same knee jerk reaction? So, what you are basically saying is that VCU was stupid not to set up a play during their timeout, but planned on Archie calling one later so they could, or they never practiced any similar end of game situations.
Note to self "avoid that section"
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Please try and justify that timeout.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

What exactly did Arche need to set up when they just had a timeout literally 30 seconds ago? He should've drawn up his defense for a make or a miss, not give another chance for VCU to set up, walk to in bounds, and be less rushed than having to take it out immediately after a made FT.

The fact that people are actually defending that timeout is very odd.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago Martin is available too
To do what? Surely you're not suggesting to play point
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

On the bright side we made #1 on SportCenter top 10!!! … oh wait👎🏻
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Please try and justify that timeout.
Team that needs a lot of coaching. There I did it for you.

Not sure if you’ve noticed but this isn’t some veteran bunch that has played and won a lot together and is used to making high bball IQ plays in the final seconds.
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago By the way, I’m too lazy to scroll back to see if it was talked about, but in the 1st half I saw Brayon in the student section cheering on the team. I’ve been hard on him the past couple days, but that was kinda nice to see.
Bill Koch tweeted that he was there in the student section.
Part odd part cool.
Maybe he'll be back next year to give it another go.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

What exactly did Arche need to set up when they just had a timeout literally 30 seconds ago? He should've drawn up his defense for a make or a miss, not give another chance for VCU to set up, walk to in bounds, and be less rushed than having to take it out immediately after a made FT.

The fact that people are actually defending that timeout is very odd.
Actually the fact you are the only one dying on that hill is more odd. Archie addressed why he called the timeout, what instruction he gave and how the team didn’t really execute that (turn him, force him to go east-west) and he took full responsibility for that.

And you keep talking about them not feeling rushed. There were over 4 seconds left and they had Jackson and Baldwin in the game. In either scenario (with or without a TO) they were going to get a shot off. If there were maybe like 2 seconds left and it required some type of long shot play and full court pass you would have a point. But that wasn’t the situation.
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhodyg wrote: 1 year ago Worst loss in RI history? Besides the Stanford game of course or some heartbreakers from the Baron era
If we were a much better team it would be up there. But taken in context, just a bad loss. Not all-time.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago By the way, I’m too lazy to scroll back to see if it was talked about, but in the 1st half I saw Brayon in the student section cheering on the team. I’ve been hard on him the past couple days, but that was kinda nice to see.
Bill Koch tweeted that he was there in the student section.
Part odd part cool.
Same reaction. Kinda weird and too soon after getting kicked off the team.
Very weird.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The game's outcome was the result of poor ball handling, 17 turnovers, and a front court that lacks strong presence. A chance to notch a nice win was lost.
1 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Now I have. No problem with the TO. On the last play and made shot it always seems when the in bound catch is to a player that is moving laterally or going toward their hoop with momentum, it is trouble. I thought this was a poor edition of a VCU team. The inability of Alx to catch the ball, Jalen’s WTF tornovers, and Bassy’s passes out of bounds are all baffling things we see over and over. Thought we did great job defending Baldwin, for me, that was key.
105, as president of the Bassy Fan Club I just wanted to correct your above post from "Bassy's passes" to "Bassy's Pass". He had 1 turnover last night. Yes, it was a crucial time and an AWFUL pass, but it was only 1. Send all apology letters to me and I will pass along to my client....

Serious though, that was such a bad pass. Take that one play away and he played a good game. Missed 1 real bad 3pt attempt but did make 2. Did not really force any bad shots. Moved the ball well on offense, only had 3 assists but could have had a few more if the bigs could catch. His line of 9pts, 3Assists, 3 Reb, 2 Steals, 1 TO is fine with me if we get that every game (with a couple more assists). Also, I should note that he is above 70% FT shooting now for the season. Remember, a year and a half ago he was playing RI High School Basketball. He should not be a starting PG on a top half A-10 team but he certainly can be a back-up PG on that team.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm ready to talk.

I mean like, I'm numb. I should be used to it. But ugh.

In the grand scheme of things - this is a young team that's trying to learn and has been dealing with an albatross of drama from their PG all year. To have that whole situation come to a head after a 3 game losing streak, and then come out and out play the best team in the conference - forcing them to hit a difficult 20 foot jumper with a hand in their face as time expired - is as admirable as you can get in a loss.

I was so ready to eat crow from Bassy. Two huge 3's - a literal warrior's effort in the first half. Getting hurt, coming off, but still playing 38 mins against one of the tougher defenses you'll see - was awesome.

Bassy not handling a pass (TO credited to Carey but IT HIT BASSY IN THE HANDS CATCH THE BALL), and then THROWING THE LITERAL BALL AND GAME 14 ROWS INTO THE STANDS, reminded me that while he shows glimpses of decent play, he's not ready to play at this level. He might get there, but there will be a lot of pain and I will grow a lot more gray hairs between now and then.

Regardless, it was one of his - if not his best game as a Ram.

The refs were a hot garbage sundae. Fuck them hard. Weston got called for...literally I have no idea what for. He went up for a rebound while making no contact with someone else - and I think the ref up the floor called him because he jumped so high that he thought he was using the defender that he wasn't even touching. The idea that you can play against VCU's defense, as a team who drives to the hoop more than anyone in the conference, and not even be in the bonus with 1 min to go in the 2nd half is bullshit. A10 refs should be required to have press conferences.

The defense as a whole was so much better. While Bassy is very obviously not my favorite player - at least he tries to play defense. He's a slightly above average defender - which is a lot more than I can say for our former point guard who went to the James Harden school of defense (but missed most of the James Harden school of offensive classes).

The Bray situation continues to get weirder. I think I feel bad for him. It's very obvious he's got a dogshit family situation and that might have been the thing that cost him his spot on the team. Supposedly his dad is all over twitter talking about how he's the one swearing at Archie and he doesn't give a shit about it, yada yada. Tough look. I can't even imagine how embarrassed I'd be if I was in that situation.

That being said, based on all the witnesses who were at the Mason game...I'm more inclined to believe all of their accounts (combined with what we've all seen of his behavior all year).

Either way, Bray being there last night to cheer on the team was kind of sad. Hopefully he learns a lesson that will make him change his behavior/shrink his circle.

While I'm gutted - I'm still more encouraged than discouraged. Year ONE people. This was another game where a couple of bounces didn't go our way. We don't need the bounces this year. I'll take em when it matters again. See you Saturday.
Last edited by Blue Man 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

JFrech21 wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Now I have. No problem with the TO. On the last play and made shot it always seems when the in bound catch is to a player that is moving laterally or going toward their hoop with momentum, it is trouble. I thought this was a poor edition of a VCU team. The inability of Alx to catch the ball, Jalen’s WTF tornovers, and Bassy’s passes out of bounds are all baffling things we see over and over. Thought we did great job defending Baldwin, for me, that was key.
105, as president of the Bassy Fan Club I just wanted to correct your above post from "Bassy's passes" to "Bassy's Pass". He had 1 turnover last night. Yes, it was a crucial time and an AWFUL pass, but it was only 1. Send all apology letters to me and I will pass along to my client....

Serious though, that was such a bad pass. Take that one play away and he played a good game. Missed 1 real bad 3pt attempt but did make 2. Did not really force any bad shots. Moved the ball well on offense, only had 3 assists but could have had a few more if the bigs could catch. His line of 9pts, 3Assists, 3 Reb, 2 Steals, 1 TO is fine with me if we get that every game (with a couple more assists). Also, I should note that he is above 70% FT shooting now for the season. Remember, a year and a half ago he was playing RI High School Basketball. He should not be a starting PG on a top half A-10 team but he certainly can be a back-up PG on that team.
Thank you, I stand corrected. Agree with his overall assessment of Bassey.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And I'll add one more for the Bassy bashers....Ace scored 2 points and was 0-10 from the field. Guess who was guarding him most of the night?
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ish had 21 pts, Carey had 13 pts. Just pointing that out 🤡 🤡
And Carey had more rebounds and assists. I love Ish. That's not my point. I don't get all of the Carey bashing.
Sad, but funny true. I'm a huge Carey fan, but good grief, don't have him bring the ball up against the press. Everytime they inbounded to him, I cringed and just kept saying "get it out of his hands!". (Oftentimes, seems like a VCU player would do just that or he'd "throw the ball 10 feet in the air" :lol: )

By the way.... VCU = Very Cool Uniforms. Thought they looked very sharp.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yeah not enough talk about our defense last night. Baldwin, Nunn and Shriver account for almost 30 pts a game. We held them to 2pts, on 2 free throws. 0 made FGs. Besides a few minute period where they put on a dunk contest the defense was pretty stellar. If we didn’t gift them so many extra possessions bc of turnovers there was no way they could have come back.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
luke wrote: 1 year ago This game seemed to completely turn around after a fake foul call against Weston on an uncontested offensive rebound that would have resulted in an uncontested put back . how they came up with afoul call when there was no VCU player within three feet of Weston . Does anyone remember that play
and were my eyes deceiving me ? There was no one in front of Weston and the VCU player was two steps behind Weston . Was I hallucinating or is that what happened ? The announcers said there was nothing . If that is what happened that has to have been the most bogus call of all time.
He pushed the kid in the back.
Yes, he did...seemed pretty clear from where we were sitting
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

damram wrote: 1 year ago Imagine if the ref called Carey for the travel on the inbound with under a minute left. Mike Rhodes was going nuts. The ref gave him a mulligan.
That was crazy ...how that wasn't a turnover I don't know
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
That was crazy ...how that wasn't a turnover I don't know
The ref blew the whistle (not sure why) right before Jalen traveled. So, it was a dead play. It definitely would have been a travel if the ref did not blow it dead before it happened.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Sad, but funny true. I'm a huge Carey fan, but good grief, don't have him bring the ball up against the press. Everytime they inbounded to him, I cringed and just kept saying "get it out of his hands!". (Oftentimes, seems like a VCU player would do just that or he'd "throw the ball 10 feet in the air" :lol: )

By the way.... VCU = Very Cool Uniforms. Thought they looked very sharp.
I guess they look sharp if you're the owner of or a big fan of Buffalo Wild Wings
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago This game was proof that it's not going to take us 4 to 5 years to compete for A-10 titles

That trash VCU team is NUMBER ONE in the A-10 right now! And we already beat number two and three!

Archie will dominate this league again. It's only a matter of time. And it won't take much of it.
Why was this game proof of URI turning the program around? This was a home game against a team that frankly isn’t very good despite being in first place. We haven’t won on the road in what seems like a lifetime. The whole league is terrible right now. I would hope it wouldn’t take 4-5 years or Archie was a failure here. As mentioned before basketball can be turned around much easier than football and we need to get back in the transfer portal and bring much better talent to this team than we have now. There is not many players other than Ish that we would lose sleep if they left the program. I think Archie is a good coach, but will not win without refreshing the talent and then that will take a little time for everything to gel.
What's so hard to understand?

You're not that far from your goals if you're competitive with and beating the best teams in your league in year one with a depleted young roster without three players (Bray, Ant, Billau) you planned to rely heavily on.

It's also a given Archie will get players from the portal that will make our team better. We can very easily compete for the A-10 title next year.
4 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

I just don't understand all this discussion about time outs. Thursday morning coaches! How does anyone know why a coach calls a timeout, unless he is in the huddle. He may have been checking injuries, giving guys a little more rest, who knows. That's why he makes the big bucks. Personally, I would want the time out to set up a specific defense and warn the VERY YOUNG team to not foul! To do that before the second foul shot does not seem to be as forceful. My friends used to make fun of one of our former coaches, AS, who never called time outs at the end of games. They would accuse him of saving all his time outs to use for State retirement credits.

And for those of you that think Weston didn't foul on the rebound, my eye doc is taking new patients. I had a very good angle, and I don't need to see any replays or listen to any announcers. Weston was so forceful, that the VCU guy almost ended up on the Ram's bench, and he left his arm out there for a long time for the ref to see. He needs to be more discreet when he fouls. I have noticed this tendency with him in earlier games.

And one more observation from last night, and maybe some former players on KB can confirm this. I noticed that Carey doesn't seem to use his off-hand to keep defensive players away from the ball as much as most other players. Maybe it would save 1 or 2 TO's per game?

Did I say one more take? Thomas really stepped up. But feeding our 4 and 5 are like throwing passes into the abyss. We win that game with Bilau.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago I just don't understand all this discussion about time outs. Thursday morning coaches! How does anyone know why a coach calls a timeout, unless he is in the huddle. He may have been checking injuries, giving guys a little more rest, who knows. That's why he makes the big bucks. Personally, I would want the time out to set up a specific defense and warn the VERY YOUNG team to not foul! To do that before the second foul shot does not seem to be as forceful. My friends used to make fun of one of our former coaches, AS, who never called time outs at the end of games. They would accuse him of saving all his time outs to use for State retirement credits.

And for those of you that think Weston didn't foul on the rebound, my eye doc is taking new patients. I had a very good angle, and I don't need to see any replays or listen to any announcers. Weston was so forceful, that the VCU guy almost ended up on the Ram's bench, and he left his arm out there for a long time for the ref to see. He needs to be more discreet when he fouls. I have noticed this tendency with him in earlier games.

And one more observation from last night, and maybe some former players on KB can confirm this. I noticed that Carey doesn't seem to use his off-hand to keep defensive players away from the ball as much as most other players. Maybe it would save 1 or 2 TO's per game?

Did I say one more take? Thomas really stepped up. But feeding our 4 and 5 are like throwing passes into the abyss. We win that game with Bilau.
Speaking of Bilau, it was good to see him walking without crutches before the game. He still has a limp, but it looks like he's making progress and gives hope that he'll be ready to go by November.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago I just don't understand all this discussion about time outs. Thursday morning coaches! How does anyone know why a coach calls a timeout, unless he is in the huddle. He may have been checking injuries, giving guys a little more rest, who knows. That's why he makes the big bucks. Personally, I would want the time out to set up a specific defense and warn the VERY YOUNG team to not foul! To do that before the second foul shot does not seem to be as forceful. My friends used to make fun of one of our former coaches, AS, who never called time outs at the end of games. They would accuse him of saving all his time outs to use for State retirement credits.

Speaking of Bilau, it was good to see him walking without crutches before the game. He still has a limp, but it looks like he's making progress and gives hope that he'll be ready to go by November.
I think there's about a 100% chance he will be ready by November. He didn't tear an ACL right?
0 x