THE EARLY LINE URI VS VCU

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

THE EARLY LINE URI VS VCU

Unread post by luke »

The opening line is out from Vegas at VCU - 7.5 . That sounds high , although taking into account the loss of Freeman , maybe not . Does
Weston get the bulk of Freeman's minutes or does Thomas ? does Hutchinson now get minutes while Weston gets shooting guard minutes ?
That could work . I hesitate taking URI to cover any games anymore , but what the heck , It's URI with the points at home. It would be nce if they can
continue winning at home at least because it looks like the road may be insurmountable even in Chicago.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: THE EARLY LINE URI VS VCU

Unread post by SGreenwell »

luke wrote: 1 year ago The opening line is out from Vegas at VCU - 7.5 . That sounds high , although taking into account the loss of Freeman , maybe not . Does
Weston get the bulk of Freeman's minutes or does Thomas ? does Hutchinson now get minutes while Weston gets shooting guard minutes ?
That could work . I hesitate taking URI to cover any games anymore , but what the heck , It's URI with the points at home. It would be nce if they can
continue winning at home at least because it looks like the road may be insurmountable even in Chicago.
I was going to say, "Maybe its because VCU historically plays at a quick pace?" But peeking at the stats on this site, no, they're at 172, squarely in the middle of all D-I teams. We're in the 110s.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

VCU -7.5. URI doesn’t have enough offensive firepower without Freeman to keep it close.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

VCU is in 1st place is the A10 at 9-3
URI is 13th at 4-8

Fordham has the best record in the A10 at 20-5
URI has the worst record in the A10 at 8-16

The URI +7.5 seems very reasonable

I'm taking URI because:
Team more relaxed
Team more focused
Much better defense especially covering Ace Baldwin
Less dribbling
More passing
More unselfish
Better overall effort
I personally like Sebastian Thomas running the team over Freeman

EEEC3AD6-6858-467F-AC58-DFB4A2987227.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'd guess Sebastian Thomas gets the start in place of Freeman
Thomas started the 1st 6 games of the season for Miller

Thomas shot 8-16 for 50% FTs in those first 6 games of the season

Since then Thomas is 17-20 FTs for 85%
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago VCU is in 1st place is the A10 at 9-3

The URI +7.5 seems reasonable
Why use VCU's A10 only record then use URI's full season record? That's nonsensical
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Why use VCU's A10 only record then use URI's full season record? That's nonsensical
To show why the 7.5 points makes sense. Some were questioning why it's so big.
I could have also thrown in Freeman being out.
It's just about how to bet. Relax

Maybe I'll throw in the RPI numbers
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Caesar's has it at URI +7 this morning

I like URI +7.5 tonight
Players and staff will be relieved and relaxed to have Freeman gone. Much less drama.

Defense will be improved
More passing, less dribbling

Taking Rhody tonight
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

That "logic", comparing numbers that don't make sense to compare, is why Vegas makes so much money. Compare their full season records or their A10 only records, that would be sufficient, but then you might not be able to make the dig about URI being in "last place" even though they're not
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That "logic", comparing numbers that don't make sense to compare, is why Vegas makes so much money. Compare their full season records or their A10 only records, that would be sufficient, but then you might not be able to make the dig about URI being in "last place" even though they're not
Ok I fixed it.
VCU Best and URI 3rd from bottom in A10
Fordham best and URI at the bottom overall records

But watch URI now. In fact I'd recommend taking URI and the points every game from here on out.

Funny about the dig part since I said I was taking URI. In fact I'm much more optimistic about this team now that Freeman is out.

I love the idea of Thomas running the team now. Love the move by Archie Miller to dismiss Freeman who I had my doubts about when I first saw him in the preseason practice game. I fully expect almost nobody to agree with me on Thomas. I'm more excited about Brooklyn now than a week ago.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ok I fixed it.

But watch URI now. In fact I'd recommend taking URI and the points every game from here on out.

Funny about the dig part since I said I was taking URI. In fact I'm much more optimistic about this team now that Freeman is out.

I love the idea of Thomas running the team now. Love the move by Archie Miller to dismiss Freeman who I had my doubts about when I first saw him in the preseason practice game. I fully expect almost nobody to agree with me on Thomas. I'm more excited about Brooklyn now than a week ago.
Got to give it to you Ramster for your optimism.
With only 9 scholarship players available and 4 of them are freshmen, I am not drinking the Kool-Aid.
Better hope everyone stays healthy for the duration.
Curious to see how the team reacts after Bray's dismissal, especially going against the top team in the conference.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Ok I fixed it.

With only 9 scholarship players available and 4 of them are freshmen, I am not drinking the Kool-Aid.
Curious to see how the team reacts after Bray's dismissal, especially going against the top team in the conference.
Just a week ago some were defending Freeman's selfishness, over dribbling and taking the most shots because there were not many other options - he had to be the guy.

Well now here we are.

My reason for optimism is Freeman was selfish, a below average shooter, too much dribbling, poor defense, low effort, shoot first - pass second type guard. Hard for me to watch those kinds of players.

Never bought the nonsense that there is nobody else so he has this huge burden on him.

Thomas plays hard. He has been in tussles with several players including one with big Matt Cross when he had his head in Cross' chest pushing him. Never saw that kind of physicality from Freeman.
Early in the year and last year it's commonly said Thomas can't shoot. He was 8-16 FTs first 6 games, 17-20 for 85% since. Money in the bank now swishing FTs.
Miller said before season on a call with Steve M that Yhomas was 1 of his 3 best returning 3P shooters. On last Mews Show Stone asked him what he wants to improve on he said 3P shooting. Thomas said he can shoot the 3P but it's mental for him. Just like Archie said Thomas can shoot the 3P and Thomas himself says he can shoot the 3P I'll trust them. I think just like Thomas turned around his FT shooting he will eventually get the 3P down,

Thomas strengths to me are:
Desire to learn
Coachable - Miller will call Thomas over during the game and give instructions
Competitive
Desire to improve
Steady
Practices hard - evidenced by FT Shooting
Good passer
Sees the floor
Can pass and shoot with either hand
Fighter - gets more than his share of rebounds
Leadership
Team player

Weaknesses
Shooting efficiency for both 2P and 3P - but has upside potential
Confidence - should come with playing time
Experience

I'm much more optimistic today than a week ago for this current combination of players.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ok I fixed it.

Just a week ago some were defending Freeman's selfishness, over dribbling and taking the most shots because there were not many other options - he had to be the guy.

Well now here we are.

My reason for optimism is Freeman was selfish, a below average shooter, too much dribbling, poor defense, low effort, shoot first - pass second type guard. Hard for me to watch those kinds of players.

Never bought the nonsense that there is nobody else so he has this huge burden on him.

Thomas plays hard. He has been in tussles with several players including one with big Matt Cross when he had his head in Cross' chest pushing him. Never saw that kind of physicality from Freeman.
Early in the year and last year it's commonly said Thomas can't shoot. He was 8-16 FTs first 6 games, 17-20 for 85% since. Money in the bank now swishing FTs.
Miller said before season on a call with Steve M that Yhomas was 1 of his 3 best returning 3P shooters. On last Mews Show Stone asked him what he wants to improve on he said 3P shooting. Thomas said he can shoot the 3P but it's mental for him. Just like Archie said Thomas can shoot the 3P and Thomas himself says he can shoot the 3P I'll trust them. I think just like Thomas turned around his FT shooting he will eventually get the 3P down,

Desire to learn
Competitive
Desire to improve
Steady
Good passer
Sees the floor
Leadership
Team player

Weaknesses
Experience

I'm much more optimistic today than a week ago for this current combination of players.
Sebastian Thomas is 16-76 from 3 in college, "good" for 21.1%. He's actually worse this year than last year. So I don't care that Archie was pumping up his tires in the offseason, and I sure as shit don't give him credit for his desire to improve and his upside potential. He's bad, he hasn't gotten better he's gotten worse, and he's definitely a worse option offensively than Brayon
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Well now here we are.

Desire to learn
Competitive
Desire to improve
Steady
Good passer
Sees the floor
Leadership
Team player

Weaknesses
Experience

Sebastian Thomas is 16-76 from 3 in college, "good" for 21.1%. He's actually worse this year than last year. So I don't care that Archie was pumping up his tires in the offseason, and I sure as shit don't give him credit for his desire to improve and his upside potential. He's bad, he hasn't gotten better he's gotten worse, and he's definitely a worse option offensively than Brayon
3P Freeman was 34%

Freeman 2P FG 38.1%
Thomas 2P FG 42.5%

Thomas has hit 17-20 FTs since early December

I wouldn't call Freeman definitely a worse option than Thomas. But assume you are right, Freeman was the worst defensive player I've seen play for URI in a long time, maybe ever. Plus very selfish which is the worst quality I want to see in a PG.

Miller gave him plenty of opportunity here. Gave him lots of minutes and lots of individual coaching.

I'm so glad he is gone, you can't even imagine how frustrating it's been to watch him run this team.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Have to agree with much of what you have said Ramster , especially as regard to defense . I watched Freeman constantly trailing his man on defense
whom freeman let get behind him with the ball with a simple fake , forcing big man help in the lane which often led to open layups or open threes .
I had never seen that happen very often in the past with URI on defense . At least Thomas was able to stayin front of his man on defense most of
the time. I would be okay with Thomas if he would just stop forcing passes and just make the simple plays . his shooting from 2 is okay , so only
wide open looks from three should he even think about. I'm not quite as optimistic as you for the rest of this season , but I hope you are right.
The losing is getting tiresome.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Thomas' FT percentage is somewhat irrelevant, because he averaged like 1 FTA a game last year, and about 1.5 this year. His high in a game is 8, and he's been above 5 FTA three times in 55 games. There just isn't any way to spin him as a positive offense player. But we're going to play him 30+ MPG down the stretch because we don't have any other options.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This seems like the classic "eh, we never needed or wanted him anyways so let's trash him on the way out" scenario now that he's gone.

Put me in the "I wish it could have worked out because he's very talented and hoped Archie could reign him in" camp.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Ok I fixed it.

I'd like some of whatever you are smoking!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ok I fixed it.

Want to bet two courtside season ticket seats that we don't cover every single game from here on out?

Just a ridiculous spin zone you're attempting here.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

luke wrote: 1 year ago Have to agree with much of what you have said Ramster , especially as regard to defense . I watched Freeman constantly trailing his man on defense
whom freeman let get behind him with the ball with a simple fake , forcing big man help in the lane which often led to open layups or open threes .
I had never seen that happen very often in the past with URI on defense . At least Thomas was able to stayin front of his man on defense most of
the time. I would be okay with Thomas if he would just stop forcing passes and just make the simple plays . his shooting from 2 is okay , so only
wide open looks from three should he even think about. I'm not quite as optimistic as you for the rest of this season , but I hope you are right.
Any possession that Thomas shoots a three is a wasted possession, and we're not good enough offensively to waste possessions. Makhi Mitchell shot 3 pointers better than Thomas last year for reference. Remember how much we loved those possessions?

If we had a big that had the form of Thomas and had his percentage we would go nuts anytime they attempted a three. Just because he's shorter doesn't mean someone with his form and percentage should ever shoot a 3
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Caesar's has it at URI +7 this morning

I like URI +7.5 tonight
Players and staff will be relieved and relaxed to have Freeman gone. Much less drama.

Defense will be improved
More passing, less dribbling

Taking Rhody tonight
you forgot less scoring
2 x
Common sense is not common.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well now here we are.

Desire to learn
Competitive
Desire to improve
Steady
Good passer
Sees the floor
Leadership
Team player

Weaknesses
Experience

3P Freeman was 34%

Freeman 2P FG 38.1%
Thomas 2P FG 42.5%

Thomas has hit 17-20 FTs since early December

I wouldn't call Freeman definitely a worse option than Thomas. But assume you are right, Freeman was the worst defensive player I've seen play for URI in a long time, maybe ever. Plus very selfish which is the worst quality I want to see in a PG.

Miller gave him plenty of opportunity here. Gave him lots of minutes and lots of individual coaching.

I'm so glad he is gone, you can't even imagine how frustrating it's been to watch him run this team.
You wouldn't call Thomas definitely a worse offensive option than Freeman, but you'll assume I'm right? You don't need to assume, Thomas is significantly inferior to Freeman offensively, and that is as objectively true as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. If you don't agree with that you are too wrong to even begin having conversations with on this and may Vegas have mercy on your wallet
1 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Thomas may well be an "inferior" offensive player individually, however he is a much better team player. And because of that, his teammates will enjoy better games and hopefully will make up for the loss of points from the up and down game of Freeman. I agree completely with Ramster, I will enjoy watching the Rams with a true point guard. But I can't say I think a bet on the Rams is money in the bank.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Maybe money in a crypto bank
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Thomas' FT percentage is somewhat irrelevant, because he averaged like 1 FTA a game last year, and about 1.5 this year. His high in a game is 8, and he's been above 5 FTA three times in 55 games. There just isn't any way to spin him as a positive offense player. But we're going to play him 30+ MPG down the stretch because we don't have any other options.
17-20 for 85% since the 7th game of the season is not irrelevant
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

luke wrote: 1 year ago Have to agree with much of what you have said Ramster , especially as regard to defense . I watched Freeman constantly trailing his man on defense
Any possession that Thomas shoots a three is a wasted possession, and we're not good enough offensively to waste possessions. Makhi Mitchell shot 3 pointers better than Thomas last year for reference. Remember how much we loved those possessions?

If we had a big that had the form of Thomas and had his percentage we would go nuts anytime they attempted a three. Just because he's shorter doesn't mean someone with his form and percentage should ever shoot a 3
Remember how crazy the Makhi shooting those 3's made you and many others here? Insane.
Both Mitchell's go to Arkansas and 1-1 combined 3P shooting through 85% of the season.
Coaching 101

Miller can do the same with Thomas.

BTW on 3 Pointers:
Jalen Carey is 7-34 = 20.6%.
Carey has hit 2 for his last 20 for 10% since January 11. And he is not a Point Guard.

Thomas is is 10-48 for 20.8% Season to Date

1st 6 Games of the season for Thomas:
8-16 FT = 50%
1-15 3P = 6.7%

Next 18 Games for Thomas:
17-20 FT = 85%
9-33 3P = 27.3%

The 1st 6 games Thomas started. Maybe he was nervous, maybe having Freeman ready to take his spot made him nervous.

Since coming off the bench his FT and 3P shooting greatly improved.

With Freeman gone and Thomas gets the keys what happens next 6 A10 games will be telling.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

No way it stays under 10
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

As I said earlier, I will enjoy watching the Rams with a true point guard. It would be even better if we had a true center that could catch and finish in the paint. And Weston may be turning into a pretty good shooting wing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago As I said earlier, I will enjoy watching the Rams with a true point guard. It would be even better if we had a true center that could catch and finish in the paint. And Weston may be turning into a pretty good shooting wing.
If you note in substitution patterns Miller generally puts Thomas and Weston in together. Minutes distribution will be interesting moving forward.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will guess VCU 68-65 we lose but cover
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

VCU by 15 (reverse jinx activated!)
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Easy cover Rhody we should have won outright !!
0 x