2/7 | Saint Louis | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/7 | Saint Louis | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by reef »

I wouldn’t go that drastic but I can see 65-35 that Bray is elsewhere next season
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

I'd heard all this great stuff about Freeman when he transferred in. Preseason All A10 3rd Team pick and all the Media hoopla.I saw him at the preseason scrimmage and my first thought was this guy is all over the court seemingly out of control and reminded me of Fatts and not in a good way.

Miller started Thomas ahead of Freeman to start the season much to the chagrin of RhodyVault and others. I can certainly see why Miller did what he did and applaud him for it. I've been impressed by Miller and often wonder about how good this team might be if Miller could have coached Makhi and Makhel and Walker.

Will be interesting to see if Freeman is on the team next year in my opinion anyway. I'd give it 50-50.
He already got his "free" transfer, and Miller isn't getting fired, so he would likely have to sit out a year unless he can manufacture some other reason. Miller recruited him here and he's playing 29 MPG, so ultimately I'd be very surprised if he left after this year. Players have mostly been leaving various programs if they aren't playing (doesn't apply) or if they can transfer to a higher level program (hard to think a Power conference school would want to be Freeman's third school in three years). I think it's more likely that he would leave after he earns his degree, whether it's after 2023-24 or the year after that.

Per 40 minutes, Freeman's assists are down 1.6 from last year at GW, but his points are up 4.8, FTA up 1.6, and he's cut his fouls from 3.5 to 2.3. His PER has budged up slightly, from 14.6 to 14.9, which is usually the level of an average starter. Yeah, he makes frustrating decisions with the ball at times. But like Fatts, that shouldn't distract from the fact that he's a net positive.

Like many other issues with this particular team, he probably looks worse because he's only average, similar to how Martin and Carey's issues get exaggerated. Leggett could start on almost any A-10 team at his current level; Freeman, Martin and Carey are borderline starters on most teams, and definite rotation players on every team. That gets us to four out of 11 scholarship players that meet "near average or better" standards, not even enough for a starting lineup. (For comparison's sake - The 2017-18 squad had six regulars with PERs that were 16+, along with three more players with PERs of 11.5+ off the bench.)
Bumping my 50-50 after the St Louis game to 95-5 that Freeman is not here next season.
Ha, well, if I knew the results of the GM game before they happened, I'd have my personal percentage of him transferring as well. ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He already got his "free" transfer, and Miller isn't getting fired, so he would likely have to sit out a year unless he can manufacture some other reason. Miller recruited him here and he's playing 29 MPG, so ultimately I'd be very surprised if he left after this year. Players have mostly been leaving various programs if they aren't playing (doesn't apply) or if they can transfer to a higher level program (hard to think a Power conference school would want to be Freeman's third school in three years). I think it's more likely that he would leave after he earns his degree, whether it's after 2023-24 or the year after that.

Per 40 minutes, Freeman's assists are down 1.6 from last year at GW, but his points are up 4.8, FTA up 1.6, and he's cut his fouls from 3.5 to 2.3. His PER has budged up slightly, from 14.6 to 14.9, which is usually the level of an average starter. Yeah, he makes frustrating decisions with the ball at times. But like Fatts, that shouldn't distract from the fact that he's a net positive.

Like many other issues with this particular team, he probably looks worse because he's only average, similar to how Martin and Carey's issues get exaggerated. Leggett could start on almost any A-10 team at his current level; Freeman, Martin and Carey are borderline starters on most teams, and definite rotation players on every team. That gets us to four out of 11 scholarship players that meet "near average or better" standards, not even enough for a starting lineup. (For comparison's sake - The 2017-18 squad had six regulars with PERs that were 16+, along with three more players with PERs of 11.5+ off the bench.)
Bumping my 50-50 after the St Louis game to 95-5 that Freeman is not here next season.
Ha, well, if I knew the results of the GM game before they happened, I'd have my personal percentage of him transferring as well. ;)
Sure but my 50% posted after the St. Louis game. I'm just upping it now.
Seen this coming for several games now.
Often hear from Assistant Coaches and from Miller the importance of effort in halftime and post game commentary.
Many of Freeman's substitutions this season have come after defensive lapses. In the St. Louis game Collins took the ball the length of the court, drove uninhibited to the hoop for an easy layup. Out comes Freeman seconds later. Look back at the play by play in the box scores and you can see the connection for not just Freeman but others. Substitutions often come very soon after defensive lapses.
So some here think Miller might not be fair with his substitution pattern treating some players differently. I'd say not true. He says he wants effort, and if you don't give it you may pay the price by being pulled out. Everyone knows Millers expectations. Good for Miller for having repercussions for not giving 100% effort, especially in defense.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Agreed. One of the most important things to come out of this season is setting expectations. This is how we will practice, this is how we will play, these are things I can tolerate, these are things that will get you taken out of the game. Honestly it seems like only one player is having problems with these expectations. And yeah, at the same time Archie is riding him harder than everyone as best I can tell but part of that goes back to him not meeting expectations and part of that is he has the most potential to unlock
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I think you never really know the player until u coach them so Arch was probably high on Bray after his GWU film , once Arch coached him and saw how he plays and acts I bet we have a parting of the ways @ seasons end
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

We would have been a lot better, sure, but the coach that recruited them got fired. I'm not going to fault anyone for transferring out in that case, or, fault Miller for being unable to retain them.

The twins wanted to stay. After their convo with Archie they decided to leave.

Bray has to be selfish. Bray needs to force shots. Archie is doing a hell of a job coaching him this year and I really hope he sticks around. He could end up being a very good player for thie program.
I agree with your last paragraph. Brayon, in only two more minutes a game, is taking 2.3 more two point attempts per game and 2.7 more three point attempts per game, so 5 more shots a game compared to last year in only two extra minutes. His assists are down .9 per game with two extra minutes.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... man-1.html

Now, what do we think is more likely here? That Brayon has decided to morph into Fatts this year and take all of the shots and Archie's just saying "cool" and not bothering to do anything even though he doesn't think this is optimal, or have Brayon and Archie decided that he needs to take more shots because we have so many offensively limited players? Considering how Archie has handled Brayon this year, I'm going out on a limb and saying it's the latter situation.

Now for those that have an issue with Freeman's play, they can say Archie is wrong and needs to reign in the amount of shots Brayon is taking, but then you need to tell me who should be taking those shots in his place and how the offense should look instead. Should we give more time to an overmatched and not as good player in Thomas? Should we have a more turnover prone Carey have more of the ball handling duties? More 3 pointers from Malik, Thomas, and Carey? You can say he hasn't been near efficient enough from 2 point range, I'd agree with that, but overall, considering the entirety of the roster, this is who Freeman has to be this year and the key is Archie putting better offensive pieces around him so he doesn't have to do so much
Well we will soon find out. What a season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Agreed. One of the most important things to come out of this season is setting expectations. This is how we will practice, this is how we will play, these are things I can tolerate, these are things that will get you taken out of the game. Honestly it seems like only one player is having problems with these expectations. And yeah, at the same time Archie is riding him harder than everyone as best I can tell but part of that goes back to him not meeting expectations and part of that is he has the most potential to unlock
Interesting how we had these conversations after the St Louis game and now here we are with not just reining in Freeman's number of shots but replacing his entire game. If it was going to happen, and I didn't think it very likely Freeman would be back next year, it's just as well yo gave the departure now. Actually good news for some of the current players who will get more minutes but also the incoming recruits who now see the potential for more playing time in year 1.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah agree it’s better happening now , I think Arch can find an upgrade over Bray I expected way more from him that he gave us
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Yeah I think you never really know the player until u coach them so Arch was probably high on Bray after his GWU film , once Arch coached him and saw how he plays and acts I bet we have a parting of the ways @ seasons end
I would say this aged well....but....it never had to.... :lol:
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Yeah agree it’s better happening now , I think Arch can find an upgrade over Bray I expected way more from him that he gave us
At a minimum - even if you can't find someone with as much upside - but someone who's more consistent, plays defense, and has a better attitude is an easier get who will help your team more.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Yeah agree it’s better happening now , I think Arch can find an upgrade over Bray I expected way more from him that he gave us
At a minimum - even if you can't find someone with as much upside - but someone who's more consistent, plays defense, and has a better attitude is an easier get who will help your team more.
It's also better for recruiting from the Portal and for incoming Freshmen. Miller and Staff can now point to available minutes for potential PGs and G's. He couldn't do that before with Freeman's minutes. I didn't expect Freeman back anyway, high odds, but moving on him now is best.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Might be why in spite of having Cam coming we also showed interest/offered that Juco PG.
Archie may have seen writing on the wall a month ago.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Might be why in spite of having Cam coming we also showed interest/offered that Juco PG.
Someone in the Brayon thread made the point that it was basically dirty pool to boot him now rather than wait until March and quietly exit him. But how do we know that wasn’t the plan until Brayon forced his hand early? Seems pretty apparent that the bullshit during (and presumably after) the GMU game forced an acceleration of the timeline on all that.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Might be why in spite of having Cam coming we also showed interest/offered that Juco PG.
Someone in the Brayon thread made the point that it was basically dirty pool to boot him now rather than wait until March and quietly exit him. But how do we know that wasn’t the plan until Brayon forced his hand early? Seems pretty apparent that the bullshit during (and presumably after) the GMU game forced an acceleration of the timeline on all that.
Agreed...I can't fathom any D1 head coach, let alone one like Archie, that would tolerate getting heckled by the parents of a player sitting behind him.
Serious AAU vibes right there. Have to assume that had to be the straw that broke the camel's back.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's probably better in a way that Freeman and his family (apparently) were public with their displeasure at the game, and later, that he posted on social media. It gives Miller public justification to make a move, instead of having to "quietly" deal with it in the summer. Since we're not competitive this year anyway and don't need to really worry about Freeman's game performance, I think the optics on that would have been worse, if Miller had to brizz him.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It's probably better in a way that Freeman and his family (apparently) were public with their displeasure at the game, and later, that he posted on social media. It gives Miller public justification to make a move, instead of having to "quietly" deal with it in the summer. Since we're not competitive this year anyway and don't need to really worry about Freeman's game performance, I think the optics on that would have been worse, if Miller had to brizz him.
Yeah agree, glad it happened the way it did , time to move on
0 x