Brayon Freeman Dismissed from Team

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: Brayon Freeman

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
Stuff like this could be a major barrier to his success.
6 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

If that bit in the above tweet is true well bye bye to the whole Freeman crew.

Anybody on KB that was attending the Mason game hear that?

Now I don’t know what to think about any of it. I’ll be watching the bench more than the battle of Rams Wednesday night…

Yikes!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago If that bit in the above tweet is true well bye bye to the whole Freeman crew.

Now I don’t know what to think about any of it. I’ll be watching the bench more than the battle of Rams Wednesday night…

Yikes!
I commented on twitter and said you can't be disrespectful to the coach and his mom told me to mind my own business. I think Bray's mom and the twins' mom are very similar. I understand defending your kid and I give her props for that, but like the twins' mom, they have to realize it's not about their kids, it's about their kids being part of a team. Until all parties (kid and parents) understand that, there are going to be problems.
10 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I will admit that I was wrong, very wrong about Freeman. I thought he would be a good to very good player for us and he has not been that. He has been a major disappointment and has been a very inefficient player that does little to make others better around him. But how does it get to this so quickly? How does a coaching staff make the decision to go poach a player from another A 10 team and miss this badly where they are kicking the guy off the team before the end of the year? What happened? Did they not do their homework? Did Archie just take Kenny Johnson's word for his character and ability? I think it may be the latter as Johnson coached him in high school. And if that is the case, this might have bigger implications than we may think if that trust has been broken.

Basketball wise does not move the needle much. I came to the conclusion that Freeman is an average guard at best in the A10 and should be able to be replaced. He is not a true point guard, not big enough to play the 2 nor the type of shooter you like to see at the 2. A miss from a basketball standpoint and that is on the staff.

But the human side of this sucks and feels a little dirty. The kid makes the A10 all rookie team and then is recruited by another team in the same league with a new coach and decides to transfer in. Gets killed by the GW fans and teammates, and probably the DC community where he is from as well for this decision and the new coach kicks him off the team with seven or so games left in the season? I feel bad for the kid, I really do. I put myself in those same shoes and I would be thinking what the f just happened here? To go from first team all rookie to this in less than a year is baffling and unless he did something off the court that we are not aware of, I think he has been done dirty. Let him finish the year out and then each go there own separate ways. No reason to humiliate the kid this way. I get he is and was frustrated, and I am sure his family was as well but unless he totally jumped the shark to kick him off the team seems a little harsh to me.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The blame on Archie is that he didn’t see any of these red flags in his vetting. Remember we likely took Bray over Diggins at Umass.

But Bray’s play on the court was almost uncoachable at times. And his body language even worse. He’s a talented player but it will take a special coach to get the most out of him.
Well, it's likely Archie did know about and see the red flags. And Archie was hopeful that under his guidance and structure along with Freeman's maturation that there could be some molding of a person and player to help this program. I'm sure he gave him multiple chances and it didn't work out. At some point, there's no turning back.

Good for Archie, move on. Good for Freeman, good riddance. It has no short-term impact (this team is going nowhere this year) and has no long-term impact (in 4 years from now, Freeman will be an afterthought just like Zach Marbury).

To be clear, I wouldn't label Archie kicking him off the team. Freeman kicked himself off the team with his actions.
Last edited by PlayMikeMotenMore 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago I will admit that I was wrong, very wrong about Freeman. I thought he would be a good to very good player for us and he has not been that. He has been a major disappointment and has been a very inefficient player that does little to make others better around him. But how does it get to this so quickly? How does a coaching staff make the decision to go poach a player from another A 10 team and miss this badly where they are kicking the guy off the team before the end of the year? What happened? Did they not do their homework? Did Archie just take Kenny Johnson's word for his character and ability? I think it may be the latter as Johnson coached him in high school. And if that is the case, this might have bigger implications than we may think if that trust has been broken.

Basketball wise does not move the needle much. I came to the conclusion that Freeman is an average guard at best in the A10 and should be able to be replaced. He is not a true point guard, not big enough to play the 2 nor the type of shooter you like to see at the 2. A miss from a basketball standpoint and that is on the staff.

But the human side of this sucks and feels a little dirty. The kid makes the A10 all rookie team and then is recruited by another team in the same league with a new coach and decides to transfer in. Gets killed by the GW fans and teammates, and probably the DC community where he is from as well for this decision and the new coach kicks him off the team with seven or so games left in the season? I feel bad for the kid, I really do. I put myself in those same shoes and I would be thinking what the f just happened here? To go from first team all rookie to this in less than a year is baffling and unless he did something off the court that we are not aware of, I think he has been done dirty. Let him finish the year out and then each go there own separate ways. No reason to humiliate the kid this way. I get he is and was frustrated, and I am sure his family was as well but unless he totally jumped the shark to kick him off the team seems a little harsh to me.
I completely disagree. I bet something else happened after that George Mason game that we don’t know of that was “the last straw”. I’m sure it would’ve been awkward for Archie to keep him on the team. It’s a good decision to part ways.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Brayon, now damaged goods? Hell no. Some lower level D1 coach will take the chance and do the classic, ‘I can turn the kid around, I can fix him’. Some old story in basketball, kids are told early on they are stars in the making, coupled with over the top parents, we have seen it up close. Bye bye. He will be headed for a coach that can’t spell defense, and just sees circus type offense.
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

To add to Blue Man speculation of maybe getting a Seton Hall transfer. Woodward was lead recruiter for Jaquan Sanders, 6-4 G, 4 stars. He stayed after Willard left but is playing less and less. Players in this situation often transfer.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago If that bit in the above tweet is true well bye bye to the whole Freeman crew.

Yikes!
I was wondering the same, whether anyone heard any of this. As that "Tweeter" has a fake name, who knows if it is credible.

Also, I doubt that Ish would leave solely because a of Freeman. Ish is a very different person than presumably Brayon is.
If Ish leaves, it is because of what he perceives as a better opportunity for him.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago I will admit that I was wrong, very wrong about Freeman. I thought he would be a good to very good player for us and he has not been that. He has been a major disappointment and has been a very inefficient player that does little to make others better around him. But how does it get to this so quickly? How does a coaching staff make the decision to go poach a player from another A 10 team and miss this badly where they are kicking the guy off the team before the end of the year? What happened? Did they not do their homework? Did Archie just take Kenny Johnson's word for his character and ability? I think it may be the latter as Johnson coached him in high school. And if that is the case, this might have bigger implications than we may think if that trust has been broken.

If the reporting is true and he told Archie off on the court, I'm surprised he wasn't Brizzed then, on the court. I don't feel bad for the kid.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Brayon, now damaged goods? Hell no. Some lower level D1 coach will take the chance and do the classic, ‘I can turn the kid around, I can fix him’. Some old story in basketball, kids are told early on they are stars in the making, coupled with over the top parents, we have seen it up close. Bye bye. He will be headed for a coach that can’t spell defense, and just sees circus type offense.
Bryant?
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Brayon, now damaged goods? Hell no. Some lower level D1 coach will take the chance and do the classic, ‘I can turn the kid around, I can fix him’. Some old story in basketball, kids are told early on they are stars in the making, coupled with over the top parents, we have seen it up close. Bye bye.
Would be surprised if he goes to a lower level D1 conference, the kid is talented.
He was on the A10 All-Rookie Team and averaged over 14 pts this season.
He will get plenty of interest in the portal and still has 2-years eligibility left.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Now, watch Bassey to have career nite, ignites a spark, others step up big time and we take down VCU. Really? Nah
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Brayon, now damaged goods? Hell no. Some lower level D1 coach will take the chance and do the classic, ‘I can turn the kid around, I can fix him’. Some old story in basketball, kids are told early on they are stars in the making, coupled with over the top parents, we have seen it up close. Bye bye.
Would be surprised if he goes to a lower level D1 conference, the kid is talented.
He was on the A10- All Rookie Team and averaged over 14 pts this season.
He will get plenty of interest in the portal and still has 2-years eligibility left.
Only if the coach makes deal with the devil. Kid is borderline coach killer.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Now, watch Bassey to have career nite, ignites a spark, others step up big time and we take down VCU. Really? Nah
Lmao imagine? I’m going just for the tiny chance that happens.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
He was on the A10- All Rookie Team and averaged over 14 pts this season.
Only if the coach makes deal with the devil. Kid is borderline coach killer.
The kid is young, emotional, and made a mistake, don't make it sound like he is the devil.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Next year, he will be with his 7th different team in 7 years.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Brayon, now damaged goods? Hell no. Some lower level D1 coach will take the chance and do the classic, ‘I can turn the kid around, I can fix him’. Some old story in basketball, kids are told early on they are stars in the making, coupled with over the top parents, we have seen it up close. Bye bye. He will be headed for a coach that can’t spell defense, and just sees circus type offense.
Bryant?
Well, yeah that type level and conference.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

You know what? I'm glad he left. Sounds like his Mom could've been "Mama Mitchell 2.0".

She liked this tweet. Fuck that. Cya!

4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Coaches a show tonite should be interesting. At Mews, I read here. I will head into town for that.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Coaches a show tonite should be interesting. At Mews, I read here. I will head into town for that.
Don't expect much from Archie, I think the discussion will be very vanilla.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Coaches a show tonite should be interesting. At Mews, I read here. I will head into town for that.
Don't expect much from Archie, I think the discussion will be very vanilla.
I am not expecting much at all, Steve will ask the obligatory questions and coach speak will be the answers.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Nothing firsthand but I heard similar info from a George Mason fan that was in attendance.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

Nothing firsthand but I heard similar info from a George Mason fan that was in attendance.
Just heard it from someone who attended. Said it was very bad, several members of his family were loudly harassing the coaching staff.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

“While maintaining my morals and principles?” Wow! I think Archie has more credibility than BF and it sounds like he has issues.
4 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

This whole episode has no larger meaning about Archie, the program, etc. The coach took a chance on a player with a high ceiling. It didn't work out. No harm no foul. I don't blame him for taking the chance. The fact that Archie can't get high level players with peer school offers (for the most part) to say yes in the first 12 months is more troubling. Hurley convinced Hare to stay (didn't work out but had big offers) and Hassan and EC to commit before playing one game. It only gets harder as the shine wears off the new hire.
This is small potatoes. Pain in the ass parents are the absolute worst. Be a grown up and call the coach if you have issues.
3 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I was at the Mason game behind our bench and Freeman's behavior the last 5-7 minutes of the game was awful. Turning around and yelling at his family and not paying attention to the game. We were actually making a decent comeback and he was barely watching the game and offering no support at all for his teammates. He was not paying attention at all during time outs and was sort of isolated from the team as Archie was addressing the team. A totally pitiful performance.
Let's face it Archie was unable to coach him as he continued to dribble drive into traffic all year with very few passes out to someone open on the wing.Enough is enough.
8 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Now, watch Bassey to have career nite, ignites a spark, others step up big time and we take down VCU. Really? Nah
I think Blue Man would have a stroke
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Also wouldn’t surprise me in he ends up at a program like Mount St Mary’s, closer to home for him lower conference where he doesn’t have to play defense
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago I was at the Mason game behind our bench and Freeman's behavior the last 5-7 minutes of the game was awful. Turning around and yelling at his family and not paying attention to the game. We were actually making a decent comeback and he was barely watching the game and offering no support at all for his teammates. He was not paying attention at all during time outs and was sort of isolated from the team as Archie was addressing the team. A totally pitiful performance.
Let's face it Archie was unable to coach him as he continued to dribble drive into traffic all year with very few passes out to someone open on the wing.Enough is enough.
I appreciate the intel. Sounds like the Mason game might've been the last straw for him. I've noticed some really poor body language at the ryan center as well.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago I was at the Mason game behind our bench and Freeman's behavior the last 5-7 minutes of the game was awful. Turning around and yelling at his family and not paying attention to the game. We were actually making a decent comeback and he was barely watching the game and offering no support at all for his teammates. He was not paying attention at all during time outs and was sort of isolated from the team as Archie was addressing the team. A totally pitiful performance.
I appreciate the intel. Sounds like the Mason game might've been the last straw for him. I've noticed some really poor body language at the ryan center as well.
Right from game 1,2. Remember he sat a game to get fixed(his head on straight)or get a “reset” or whatever the coach speak was.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Right from game 1,2. Remember he sat a game to get fixed(his head on straight)or get a “reset” or whatever the coach speak was.
I do remember that! And guess what, it did work (temporarily). He was missing **every** shot and then suddenly started getting like 16 ppg. Maybe Archie thought the rollercoaster of emotions wasn't worth dealing with for another 2 years.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I need to be done on this matter. Since the peach baskets went up, this type player was probably emerging. Players like this, I have coached(or tried to coach)kids with this attitude in grade school, CYO, Rec leagues, JV and Varsity High School. Including high level camps In PA. Some get it and make it, many don’t. I have vivid memories of poisoned locker room, of my Dad’s EPHS team in the early 60’s. Out.
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

105, as soon as I started reading your post, Grasso at Bryant came to mind.

Edit: I see others have the same thought! :lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I need to be done on this matter. Since the peach baskets went up, this type player was probably emerging. Players like this, I have coached(or tried to coach)kids with this attitude in grade school, CYO, Rec leagues, JV and Varsity High School. Including high level camps In PA. Some get it and make it, many don’t. I have vivid memories of poisoned locker room, of my Dad’s EPHS team in the early 60’s. Out.
Agreed he was the type of player that makes a coach crazy. Talent potential but awful decision making. Really hard to coach attitude and effort. You either have it or you don’t.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What a mess.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Losing Freeman is sure to impact the effort for a top four seed. ;)
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Tell that to Eric Musselman. He fixed the twins real quick. Haven’t read a peep on them being trouble.

Some coaches can reign in players with baggage.

Kid absolutely has the talent for a P6 program.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I need to be done on this matter. Since the peach baskets went up, this type player was probably emerging. Players like this, I have coached(or tried to coach)kids with this attitude in grade school, CYO, Rec leagues, JV and Varsity High School. Including high level camps In PA. Some get it and make it, many don’t. I have vivid memories of poisoned locker room, of my Dad’s EPHS team in the early 60’s. Out.
Interesting 105, and good stuff.

I never coached but played with one in HS only. Was causing strife and coach dismissed him from the team. Pretty good underclassman player, too.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Difficult players can infect a whole team with negative chemistry. But this is amplified when parents get involved. Remember it was parents who didn't like the playing time their son was getting that brought down the career of Todd Bozeman.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Now down to 9 scholarship players available for action. There shouldn’t be many complaints about playing time.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

As a former coach as well for many years I’m also finding the report’s disturbing.

If true I’m in admiration of Miller’s restraint in responding publicly.

I’m going to have to sit back on this one too.

Go Rhody!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Duplicate
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Listening to the Archie miller show rn. He mentioned Hutchinson having to step in for some minutes now.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm looking back at the game early in the season that Bray was suspended. Carey was also out that game. Bassy played 38 minutes, scored 13 points and had 10 assists. It was also our first win of the season.We know he's not a good shooter. But let's give him a chance and see how he does running the team as the main guy. I think we'll play much more as a team with him as the #1 point.
8 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I'm looking back at the game early in the season that Bray was suspended. Carey was also out that game. Bassy played 38 minutes, scored 13 points and had 10 assists. It was also our first win of the season.We know he's not a good shooter. But let's give him a chance and see how he does running the team as the main guy. I think we'll play much more as a team with him as the #1 point.
As long as he doesn’t shoot threes I’m ok with him playing a lot of min.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago 9BF63837-8B57-49CB-843A-ACCCC427C2FC.jpeg
My biggest takeaway is Arch first quote saying in a big picture situation that this is the best thing going forward

Translation he knew for the future that he can get a player in here just as good or better who will buy into the teams goals
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
Yeah, ganging up on the coach is shit parents do in u12 soccer games. That's pretty inappropriate.

LOL. His 'rents had every right to do that, if that's what they wanted to do. Me, I probably wouldn't have gone that route, but the fact they actually did is...Is that on par with Twins mom? I actually think it's next tier hilarious. This is great stuff. I would love to see video of that...live action is a thousand times better than Twittwars.

Just realized it was HIM and his family...Bray was berating the coach for taking him out? Amazinger....was it during the game?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Surprised it didn’t happen right after the game.
A D1 coach being heckled by the parents of one of his own players is next level. Good riddance.
8 x