Understanding the NIL

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Understanding the NIL

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago I can't wait to see where Fatts goes in the draft tomorrow night !!
Only 1 A10 player and 1 New Big East player drafted
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Agreed. Martin has a shot tonight. Let's see.
Better than staying at Rhody under Cox.
Most coaches and players strive to play at highest level.
(Most coaches prefer to develop their own talent also than rely on transfers).
Hurley has complained about it. Plenty of dough at Uconn,plenty of plyers leaving also.
https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/article ... 079758.php

“For the most part, I understand the basketball moves made by the guys who left,

("for the most part")
Good call Brian Foster. Tyrese Martin was the only big East player selected in the draft

Listed are players who did not get drafted but were possibilities per cbs.

4 of the 23 players listed were NBE players

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/top- ... snubs/amp/
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not bad, deal includes a Chevy Tahoe Premier.
Guess he will be chauffeuring his teammates around town.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Cool. Hope he’s responsible with that vehicle.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not only is the Transfer Rule about to change on August 3rd whereby players can transfer every year with no penalty, the One and Done rule could change so players 19 years old would move to 18. No need for a year of college or prep school - just bypass straight to the NBA and/or G-League

For the first time, multiple NBA scouts were at Peach Jam to watch Class of 25 and Class of 24 players in action.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-nb-as- ... 06295.html
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

TEOTWAWKI
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Credit where it's due, this seems like a good thing on the part of the Arkansas basketball program

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkan ... ty-center/
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I would be interested to learn how much each player’s deal would be from a non-profit?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ramulous wrote: 1 year ago I would be interested to learn how much each player’s deal would be from a non-profit?
Back in the day grant writers were getting 10% of donations into a non profit. So if the players split 10% of donations generated, it could be not bad.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

An NIL collective is set to launch for Montana State football, organizers have informed HERO Sports. More details will follow in the coming days with insights from the lead organizer/founder Brandon Vancleeve on how this was formed and what it means for MSU players.

Called Bobcat Collective Inc., Vancleeve said every MSU football player, from walk-on to full scholarship, will get a share of the collective. The goal is to grow the collective every year and support athletes on other teams as well.

MSU will be the second known FCS program to have an NIL collective. Grambling was the first with The Icon1901 Collective.

https://herosports.com/fcs-montana-stat ... -bzbz/amp/
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Would love to see Rhody do something like this.

1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Would love to see Rhody do something like this.

I mentioned a while ago that Michigan was doing this. It seems like such a simple thing to do that would be great for every party
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article from The Athletic comparing the SMU Death Penalty to todays NIL world
Discusses Conference Realignment as well relating to how the Southwest Conference dismantled in the 1990’s.

https://theathletic.com/3474787/2022/08 ... nil/?amp=1
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago UCONN goes with Opendorse.

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2022/9/21 ... dorse.aspx
Good find Ramster, great read, thanks for posting.

UConn trying to stay ahead of the curve giving their student athletes easier access to NIL deals with this Opendorse partnership.

Also gives them a nice advantage using this as a recruiting tool.
Who knows could have possibly helped in UConn getting a top recruiting class for '23, certainly didn't hurt.

"Opendorse launched its initial school-specific NIL marketplaces with six university partners during the spring of 2022. Student-athletes at these institutions experienced a 193% increase in NIL opportunities in the first month after the marketplace's launch."
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

UConn trying to stay ahead of the curve giving their student athletes easier access to NIL deals with this Opendorse partnership.

Who knows could have possibly helped in UConn getting a top recruiting class for '23, certainly didn't hurt.

"Opendorse launched its initial school-specific NIL marketplaces with six university partners during the spring of 2022. Student-athletes at these institutions experienced a 193% increase in NIL opportunities in the first month after the marketplace's launch."
You can be sure Dan Hurley was pushing AD Dick Benedict for this too. Hurley is always at the forefront in managing all aspects of the Basketball Program
Hurley developed an outstanding Academic support program at URI including excellent people in the staff.
The Practice Center would not have taken 5 years to complete (since he’s been gone). Hurley would have had the Practice Center moving quickly. Not like Cox who was not a pusher.

Hurley just completed a class of 1 5-star and 4 4-stars in Class of 2023 to rank 2nd now only to Duke in 247 sports.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

You can be sure Dan Hurley was pushing AD Dick Benedict for this too. Hurley is always at the forefront in managing all aspects of the Basketball Program
Hurley developed an outstanding Academic support program at URI including excellent people in the staff.
The Practice Center would not have taken 5 years to complete (since he’s been gone). Hurley would have had the Practice Center moving quickly. Not like Cox who was not a pusher.

Hurley just completed a class of 1 5-star and 4 4-stars in Class of 2023 to rank 2nd now only to Duke in 247 sports.

Absolutley, I bet Hurley played a huge role in getting this done (Opendorse).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gary Parrish CBS on impact of NIL. Survey of 100 Coaches

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... etics/amp/
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

URI is on Opendorse too. But no real money is flowing through Opendorse. Average deals are 500-1000 per player. The real money is flowing through the Collectives. URI is moving on establishing one of those too. In the works.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Now they are forming charitable non-profits for a legitimate cause that you can take a tax deduction for contributing and which pays athletes for being a spokesperson. How about a charity to help support needy student athletes?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

What's URI's marketing genius doing? A dollar short and a dollar late!
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago What's URI's marketing genius doing? A dollar short and a dollar late!
This has been out there for quite a while:

https://gorhody.com/sports/2021/9/28/nil.aspx

And rumor's are that a collective will be forming as well
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago What's URI's marketing genius doing? A dollar short and a dollar late!
Working on their own NIL Collective.
And unless you are helping or planning to donate just STFU troll man.
Or better yet go be a Bryant supporter and make this world a better place.
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Has nothing to do with URI, the collective is not a part of the University.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

There will be a tent at the football game on Saturday selling the new URIIMU merchandise.

https://www.uriimu.com/
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago URI is on Opendorse too. But no real money is flowing through Opendorse. Average deals are 500-1000 per player. The real money is flowing through the Collectives. URI is moving on establishing one of those too. In the works.
I assume you were talking about Rhode to Excellence? First mention I saw of it officially was when I went to buy a ticket for the Archie Miller/Ed Cooley event. Here is the website:

https://rhodyexcellence.com/

Michael Fascitelli and Tom Ryan are both on the 5 person board. I know Kevin, very intelligent guy, and doesn't hurt to have someone with 15 years of experience at ESPN on the board
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

@ Franfraschilla
I am hearing that some talented college teams are starting to crack because of NIL payments not being made on time, NIL promises not kept or jealousy among teammates. Not a value judgement on NIL. It’s just human nature. The “new normal.”

What could possibly go wrong? :roll: :roll:
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

One note about the NIL - If you promise them to a player, well, you actually have to pay them to get them to show up, you know:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... alls-apart
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago One note about the NIL - If you promise them to a player, well, you actually have to pay them to get them to show up, you know:

Wow, SG. Thanks for posting.

The deal has fallen through but, $13 mil for a qb recruit. Highly rated but still unproven on the SEC conf level. Ooph

How does this kind of money for a highly rated yet unproven player not cause tension in a locker room?

I am for NIL but I expect human nature (whether administrators, coaches, school boosters, players, player advisors, etc ) to use and abuse it to turn P5 major college football into an anything goes shit show. Hopefully, basketball won’t go the full shit show route of football for a while so I can enjoy a few more Rhody NCAA Tourney runs.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

This isn’t NIL. It’s legal pay for play. No high school kids’ name image or likeness is worth $13mm. He could walk in my house right now and I wouldn’t know who he is. As Ramster said what could possibly go wrong.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago One note about the NIL - If you promise them to a player, well, you actually have to pay them to get them to show up, you know:

Wow, SG. Thanks for posting.

The deal has fallen through but, $13 mil for a qb recruit. Highly rated but still unproven on the SEC conf level. Ooph

How does this kind of money for a highly rated yet unproven player not cause tension in a locker room?

I am for NIL but I expect human nature (whether administrators, coaches, school boosters, players, player advisors, etc ) to use and abuse it to turn P5 major college football into an anything goes shit show. Hopefully, basketball won’t go the full shit show route of football for a while so I can enjoy a few more Rhody NCAA Tourney runs.
This kind of payment to a Qb means he BETTER pay off the lineman who don’t have a deal 🤓😄
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

What could possibly go wrong
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

One thing this NIL and transfer portal is doing is making parity unreal , probably 20 teams can win it
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago What could possibly go wrong
We'll all find out soon enough...my guess is that the wild wild west Portalpalooza continues unchecked...and it evolves to certain number of years commitment for the player or he has to pay (at least some) of the money back. For all intents and purposes, we have free agency, soon to be followed by contracts, for college hoops.

When do you think we'll start seeing actual trades?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Interesting. Thanks for posting this, 05.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
We'll all find out soon enough...my guess is that the wild wild west Portalpalooza continues unchecked...and it evolves to certain number of years commitment for the player or he has to pay (at least some) of the money back. For all intents and purposes, we have free agency, soon to be followed by contracts, for college hoops.

I hope this post is a troll.

Then again, you said we’d be attending games with masks for 3 years, so you actually may be serious with all this.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Then again, you said we’d be attending games with masks for 3 years, so you actually may be serious with all this.

MASKS!!!!!!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Nope, not a troll. Wake up, it's 2023.

And, yeah I'm so goddam disappointed we aren't wearing masks...good grief, talk about friggin trollin'.... :roll:
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

And, yeah I'm so goddam disappointed we aren't wearing masks...good grief, talk about friggin trollin'.... :roll:
I don’t know if it’s more wild you thought we’d be wearing masks for 3 years or that colleges will eventually be able to trade players.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don’t know if it’s more wild you thought we’d be wearing masks for 3 years or that colleges will eventually be able to trade players.
The most wild thing is you guys going at it in a "Understanding the NIL" thread with 5 minutes left in a 35-35 tied Super Bowl!!

Have another brewski!
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The most wild thing is you guys going at it in a "Understanding the NIL" thread with 5 minutes left in a 35-35 tied Super Bowl!!

Have another brewski!
That is hilarious Ramster. :D
Best post of the day.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Have another brewski!
That is hilarious Ramster. :D
Best post of the day.
Good indicator of how much I cared. This was just a good opportunity to show that, you can express an opinion, i.e., "players will be traded (or arrange to trade places)", or opinion on anything else.... But, make sure that you are prepared to be trolled, because the regular troll crew lies in wait :roll:
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Florida’s Governor signed a legislative bill today allowing Florida schools to assist in marketing NIL opportunities according to ESPN, 247Sports and others.

Florida was much more strict regarding NIL prior to this legislation according to 247Sports.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

And to think P Murph took a fall for paying a kid 6K. I'm taking the Pitino take, NIL means free hookers.
0 x