Dan Yorke Has To Go

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Yorke Has To Go

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I like the idea of the winning fan getting a mute button, with the caveat that... While the fan is doing the mute up and down... Dan's live mug is on all the video screens on a little box in the corner while they're doing it. Fan can adjust up or down, or...go for total mute and a big X covers his face. What kinda cheers would THAT get? People would pay good money for that...
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

EZBuckets wrote: 1 year ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago Easy solution. JV is 35. Can't do his present job forever. He should begin grooming someone now and then transition into the PA role. The other option is take the young man that does women"s games and have him replace Dapper Dan. Either option is better than what we have now.
Thanks for the kind words Cameron! This is my 15th season as as I started my senior year at Rhody (which is still hard to believe) so I’m actually 36 (almost 37)!

They introduced a formal Student Ruckus leadership group this season which has allowed me begin acting less as their “unofficial” leader, allowing them taking over chants & organization as that’s one aspect of the gig that I am 100% too old for and is not something I have the energy for any longer.

The current plan is for next year to be my last (for real this time) and the Ruckus leaders are likely to take over my duties as a group instead of trying to have 1 person replace me. Although that could always change.

I currently alternate PA duties with Joe Berardi for Men’s/Women’s Soccer & Women’s Basketball - which I really enjoy and plan to continue doing after I “retire” as hypeman.

I like & respect Dan immensely both personally & professionally but should he ever stop doing PA any time in the future, I would gladly throw my hat in the ring.
JV, I would advocate for you to take over this position. You have earned it, I thoroughly enjoy you at the women's games.

The fact is, Dan may be a nice guy, but he does an AWFUL job. He is downright embarrassing. I cringe when I hear that elongated screeching of players names, or when he announces the wrong subs, or stating a player is getting 2 shots when it's a 1 and 1.

It boils my blood actually. If the motto is "Think Big, We Do" we need someone better than Dan.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

The Dude wrote:Should Rhody find a new announcer to replace Dan Yorke?

Post by The Dude » 6 years ago

After today's game against UMASS where once again we had, what in my opinion and the opinion of 10+ other people in my section, an announcer who:
1) continues to get the substitutions incorrect;
2) makes free throws sound like a death sentence;
3) gets way too enamored with his own voice rather than paying attention to being a good professional announcer/pa guy.

Is it finally time to find a replacement?
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

I guess nothing has changed...that was a post from 6 years ago!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago Easy solution. JV is 35. Can't do his present job forever. He should begin grooming someone now and then transition into the PA role. The other option is take the young man that does women"s games and have him replace Dapper Dan. Either option is better than what we have now.
Thanks for the kind words Cameron! This is my 15th season as as I started my senior year at Rhody (which is still hard to believe) so I’m actually 36 (almost 37)!

They introduced a formal Student Ruckus leadership group this season which has allowed me begin acting less as their “unofficial” leader, allowing them taking over chants & organization as that’s one aspect of the gig that I am 100% too old for and is not something I have the energy for any longer.

The current plan is for next year to be my last (for real this time) and the Ruckus leaders are likely to take over my duties as a group instead of trying to have 1 person replace me. Although that could always change.

I currently alternate PA duties with Joe Berardi for Men’s/Women’s Soccer & Women’s Basketball - which I really enjoy and plan to continue doing after I “retire” as hypeman.

I like & respect Dan immensely both personally & professionally but should he ever stop doing PA any time in the future, I would gladly throw my hat in the ring.
JV, I would advocate for you to take over this position. You have earned it, I thoroughly enjoy you at the women's games.

The fact is, Dan may be a nice guy, but he does an AWFUL job. He is downright embarrassing. I cringe when I hear that elongated screeching of players names, or when he announces the wrong subs, or stating a player is getting 2 shots when it's a 1 and 1.

It boils my blood actually. If the motto is "Think Big, We Do" we need someone better than Dan.
Let’s all email Thorr. I did, asked that Dan’s role be re-evaluated for next season. No response, doubt I will get one.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago

Let’s all email Thorr. I did, asked that Dan’s role be re-evaluated for next season. No response, doubt I will get one.
Disagree. In my experience, Thorr has always responded.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Here's the email I just sent:

Dear Thorr,

Pleaaaaaaaaaaasssssse fiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre Daaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnn
Yyyyyyyyyyorrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkke.
Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaankkkkkk yoooooooooooooooouuuuuu
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If the Ruckus is going to take over, they have to start showing up.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I relayed the Ish buckets towards the end of the game. Yorke sounds like he’s having a mild heart attack.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I relayed the Ish buckets towards the end of the game. Yorke sounds like he’s having a mild heart attack.
Stop with the false hope.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

If the Ruckus is going to take over, they have to start showing up.
"If the student section is going to take over the student section..." We are seriously all the way through the looking glass here
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Yup, Dan Yorke has to go!
Can this thread get as long as Ants?
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Yup, Dan Yorke has to go!
Excellent discussion facilitation, LTR. We have no reason to talk Bracketology with our rough season but, we can talk Threadology!

:lol:

This thread has potential but only does well in home games. :D

I am taking the Ant thread for the win.

Dan Yorke? Off with his thread! :lol:
3 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Yup, Dan Yorke has to go!
Excellent discussion facilitation, LTR. We have no reason to talk Bracketology with our rough season but, we can talk Threadology!

:lol:

This thread has potential but only does well in home games. :D

I am taking the Ant thread for the win.

Dan Yorke? Off with his thread! :lol:
Just doing my part to facilitate thoughtful discussion!

ISHHHHHHHH-MIIIIIIII-EL LEGGGGGGGGGETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
4 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Curious - does Yorke work the women's games as well? If not, who does?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NHRamFan wrote: 1 year ago Curious - does Yorke work the women's games as well? If not, who does?
EZ buckets, aka JV, aka John Vanner, and does fine professional job.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NHRamFan wrote: 1 year ago Curious - does Yorke work the women's games as well? If not, who does?
Splits duties with Joe Berardi. For anyone that was at the St. Joe's game Wednesday, that was Joe on the PA
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Splits duties with Joe Berardi. For anyone that was at the St. Joe's game Wednesday, that was Joe on the PA
He was unobtrusive but accurate and timely. As an arena announcer should be.
2 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Good thing Gradey Dick doesn’t play for us
5 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago Good thing Gradey Dick doesn’t play for us
This is by far one of the best posts ever.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago
Certainly in running for post of the year. It made me think, it is good we don’t have Dick Trickle.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago
Thanks lol
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Great atmosphere at the women's game tonight and much of it due to the outstanding job done by John Vanner. He has grown out of his role as Number 1 cheerleader and has transitioned into a first class PA Announcer. He adds so much to the on the court action.
6 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago Great atmosphere at the women's game tonight and much of it due to the outstanding job done by John Vanner. He has grown out of his role as Number 1 cheerleader and has transitioned into a first class PA Announcer. He adds so much to the on the court action.
This is the way.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

I like the fan with the button idea, but instead of a mute, or an X, it should deliver an increasing electric shock. I’d pay just to see that.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

CaptainRon wrote: 1 year ago I like the fan with the button idea, but instead of a mute, or an X, it should deliver an increasing electric shock. I’d pay just to see that.
But...don't you still have to have his live face visible? Hey, maybe a dunk tank...?
0 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

Maybe Archie Miller should base his recruiting decisions on the easiest names to listen to after a basket is made? A bunch of Paul Smiths or John Browns.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote: 1 year ago Maybe Archie Miller should base his recruiting decisions on the easiest names to listen to after a basket is made? A bunch of Paul Smiths or John Browns.
nah.....there is no name that that dude can't and wouldn't mutilate
1 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

The Pa announcer has another job tonight-introducing jeff dowtin. Don’t rush it. List all of his accomplishments both inside and outside the classroom. Don’t talk until the applause dies down. Remind the time he hit 3 threes in a row exploding the Ryan. You are honoring one of the classiest rams. do it right!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

neil wrote: 1 year ago The Pa announcer has another job tonight-introducing jeff dowtin. Don’t rush it. List all of his accomplishments both inside and outside the classroom. Don’t talk until the applause dies down. Remind the time he hit 3 threes in a row exploding the Ryan. You are honoring one of the classiest rams. do it right!
Jeff Doooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwtinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

neil wrote: 1 year ago The Pa announcer has another job tonight-introducing jeff dowtin. Don’t rush it. List all of his accomplishments both inside and outside the classroom. Don’t talk until the applause dies down. Remind the time he hit 3 threes in a row exploding the Ryan. You are honoring one of the classiest rams. do it right!
The back to back to back 3s against VCU were absolutely tremendous. I believe that was the Covid year when we were right in the thick of things for a bid.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yup:

https://gorhody.com/news/2020/1/31/1_31_2020_3783.aspx

16-5 (8-1) after this one, but the Baron swoon was incoming
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Yup:

https://gorhody.com/news/2020/1/31/1_31_2020_3783.aspx

16-5 (8-1) after this one, but the Baron swoon was incoming
*Checks notes* was only back to back 3s, but still the atmosphere after the second one was unreal.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrre
Hisssssssssssss
Assssssssssssss
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrre
Hisssssssssssss
Assssssssssssss
At least someone had a good view of Dan tonight!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

He seemed more tolerable last night. I liked when Ish scored, stole it and scored again and the Yorker said, "Ishmael Leggett...twice!!"
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago He seemed more tolerable last night. I liked when Ish scored, stole it and scored again and the Yorker said, "Ismael Leggett...twice!!"

That one was fine NYG, but the one after Malik Martin 3…didn’t end until VCU took a shot at the other end and the ball was rebounded. I wanted to personally go down there and choke him!

Malik MMMMMMAAAAAARRRRTTTTTIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRam86 wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago He seemed more tolerable last night. I liked when Ish scored, stole it and scored again and the Yorker said, "Ismael Leggett...twice!!"

That one was fine NYG, but the one after Malik Martin 3…didn’t end until VCU took a shot at the other end and the ball was rebounded. I wanted to personally go down there and choke him!

Malik MMMMMMAAAAAARRRRTTTTTIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Yes, noticed that. Again the scorers table staffer to Dan’s right looked at home during that particular call with a look of ‘ dude, Whatta doin…..’
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

NYG Fan, I guess my seats are too close to him. I thought he was awful again. He announced a "one and one" for Ish, AFTER he already made the first shot. He did that elongated screeching of players names throughout the game.

AS a contrast, I do not know who was the announcer last night at the women's game (NOT JV) but it was the was the men's games should be called.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago NYG Fan, I guess my seats are too close to him. I thought he was awful again. He announced a "one and one" for Ish, AFTER he already made the first shot. He did that elongated screeching of players names throughout the game.

AS a contrast, I do not know who was the announcer last night at the women's game (NOT JV) but it was the was the men's games should be called.
Joe Berardi. He's outstanding
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago NYG Fan, I guess my seats are too close to him. I thought he was awful again. He announced a "one and one" for Ish, AFTER he already made the first shot. He did that elongated screeching of players names throughout the game.

Your location might be it. I don't know where he is or what he even looks like. So, I guess depending on the intensity of the game, I get some "out of sight out of mind" effect...where if he were in my line of sight, the audioannoyance might lead my eyes to look at him...and might feel very differently.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

The PA at the women's UMass game was excellent. Just did the basics, no ups, no extras. Thanks.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Did anyone actually email Thorr? What did you say? Did he respond?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago The PA at the women's UMass game was excellent. Just did the basics, no ups, no extras. Thanks.
I'd say the "for three" when someone for URI hits a 3P is too long and way too loud. It was so loud I was actually hoping a 3P wouldn't be made.

I don't understand the need to be so loud with the microphones.

Let the game itself be the center of attention.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago Did anyone actually email Thorr? What did you say? Did he respond?
Yes, I did. I was polite and respectful. No response, probably 3+ weeks ago. Crickets, disappointed.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Didn’t someone say Yorke is great friends with McKee?

If so, don’t think we’ll be getting rid of him any time soon.
0 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Didn’t someone say Yorke is great friends with McKee?

If so, don’t think we’ll be getting rid of him any time soon.
Yes, thats correct. There was some talk that he may be leaving WPRO to go work for McKee's communications team. Maybe if that happens he will step down from URIMBB
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago Did anyone actually email Thorr? What did you say? Did he respond?
Yes, I did. I was polite and respectful. No response, probably 3+ weeks ago. Crickets, disappointed.
Suprised at the absence of a reply.

IIRC, he would almost always pass in front of that section before a game. I buttonholed him there a few times over the years, and every time he would give me a few minutes.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
Suprised at the absence of a reply.

IIRC, he would almost always pass in front of that section before a game. I buttonholed him there a few times over the years, and every time he would give me a few minutes.
FWIW, I stated that I think Dan’s act at the PA mic is a detraction from the over all enjoyment RC game experience. I asked that Athletics/RC management review this position for 23-24. Also let him know I was long time season ticket holder.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Others will probably disagree but Yorke was actually decent today.

Nothing to complain about from me.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!