2/7 | Saint Louis | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: 2/7 | Saint Louis | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RIFan »

At least it was entertaining
3 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Loved the play by Archie. We got our best player an open 3…he just missed it
Agreed. Overall, they played with a purpose tonight on offense. Stewart hit some nice shots.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Carey with the appropriate missed layup to put the cherry on another 💩 sundae.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just can't get over the hump.. not a fan of moral victories..
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Close but no cigar. Played tough. Made it interesting.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Carey with the appropriate missed layup to put the cherry on another 💩 sundae.
Am I alone in not wanting him to take an extra year? Really not a fan of Carey. Turnover + travel machine.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Real good effort. Jimerson and charity stripe misses, turnovers hurt us.

We could pull a surprise or two in the A10 Tourney. Not impossible.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I can’t get mad at this, this team fucking fights and doesn’t quit. There is a good core here to build on.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Carey with the appropriate missed layup to put the cherry on another 💩 sundae.
Am I alone in not wanting him to take an extra year? Really not a fan of Carey. Turnover + travel machine.
Yes. You are alone. We want him to stay. He does things others can't/don't...
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Ugh Bray giveth and Bray taketh.

Carey going for the ball and not staying on jimmerson was dumb.

We had plenty of chances tonight. Still close. Anything can happen in Brooklyn.
I was bartending tonight and whenever I got to watch I thought we were competing at a very high level with them!

Disappointing, but that looked like progression to me*
Last edited by PeterRamTime 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago I can’t get mad at this, this team fucking fights and doesn’t quit. There is a good core here to build on.
You can get mad at Freeman.

I’d say he cost us the game.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Lol ok!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Just three more opportunities for a true road game win left - at GMU, at Fordham, and at Loyola.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

"I want a 24-year-old Jalen Carey to play another year at URI."

Said no one ever.
Last edited by PeteRI 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago I can’t get mad at this, this team fucking fights and doesn’t quit. There is a good core here to build on.

He would be a much more likable player if he didn’t play out of control on those drives to the hoop.
Last edited by RhodyRams916 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

The bad shot on the possession when it was tied in the last minute or so made a big difference.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
"I want a 24-year-old Jalen Carey play another year at URI."

Said no one ever.
I heard Malik can take a 6th year as well! :lol: :lol:
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RF1, I think we could steal one of the 3. Tonight gave me some hope for that possibility.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I’m proud of our guys tonight. One of our better games all year. It helps when your frontcourt makes an impact. Remember when we couldn’t play Berry because he got abused on D. He worked his ass off and got into the best shape of his life. We need Rory to do this. If he can be serviceable on the defensive end, he will have games like this sometimes.

Carey isn't coming back.
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm with you, I never really got it with Carey. Just don't see it.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

[quote=NYGFan_Section208
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yup, he bounces the ball off his foot and misses layups better than anyone ...
2 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

In the postgame, Rothstein mentioned how this is only Archie’s first year, but a few tweaks to the roster and he’ll have us top of the conference just like when he was at Dayton.

Also mentioned how he saw Stewart at a practice earlier this season and was impressed with his game.
8 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
I'm with you, I never really got it with Carey. Just don't see it.
Yeah, and I’m starting to see the same Carey from last year. Awful 3 pt shooter, decent mid-range game, but really low IQ decisions that cost URI possessions.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago I’m proud of our guys tonight. One of our better games all year. It helps when your frontcourt makes an impact. Remember when we couldn’t play Berry because he got abused on D. He worked his ass off and got into the best shape of his life. We need Rory to do this. If he can be serviceable on the defensive end, he will have games like this sometimes.

Carey isn't coming back.
It would probably help if Rory didn't have to play the 5 to. Having to cover a dude like Okoro just isn't fair.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago The bad shot on the possession when it was tied in the last minute or so made a big difference.
Uh Ya think?

Cost us the game.

Dribbled for 20 seconds, went nowhere, took a terrible shot.

Jimmerson 3 next possession.
2 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Eh, if you’re going to single out a guard whose play killed us it was much more Carey than Freeman.

This season was always about seeing flashes of what could be - tonight Rory and Alex both provided good minutes. SLU was one of the worst teams in league at forcing TOs and we committed 14. Protect the ball better and make free throws and that’s a win.

I think we get off the snide at GMU.
5 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

They fought hard hung in there and had a chance to win. Sure no moral victories but everyone put in full effort. Freeman forced a few but that’s our game right now. We need his scoring plus Ish to have any chance to win. That will lead to some forced/ugly shots.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

You can clearly see we’re not there yet - but there’s flashes and pieces of brilliance from the core guys. It comes with being immature. It’s why upperclassman teams always do well in March.

Next year - Bray/Ish will be a more steady anchor in the backcourt - hopefully with more reliable shooting help to prevent Bray from feeling like he needs to do everything on the floor. I hate it too - but in his defense, if he’s on the floor with Malik and Thomas it’s just him and Ish as offensive options.

If Bilau gets healthy, and with Foumena - Rory can grow to the 4, same as Alex. Then you’re a combo/wing option away from a team that can win the A10.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Eh, if you’re going to single out a guard whose play killed us it was much more Carey than Freeman.

This season was always about seeing flashes of what could be - tonight Rory and Alex both provided good minutes. SLU was one of the worst teams in league at forcing TOs and we committed 14. Protect the ball better and make free throws and that’s a win.

I think we get off the snide at GMU.
I’m a huge Carey fan. I firmly believe if he plays well we win.

Tonight he was terrible. Only player worse was Martin.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Exactly this…a forced Freeman shot is prob the 3rd or 4th best shot in our offense right now. We live and die by our guards. When all 3 play well we can beat anyone.
4 x
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Because of the Covid year, both Leggett and Freeman are only sophomores, correct? They already form one of the better backcourt tandems in the conference.

Assuming both stay, and Archie gets the right front court pieces around them, their senior year could be a lot of fun for Rhody fans. I’m taking a glass half full mentality.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Well I found this interesting as I was watching the game (and not the commercials) tonight. Maybe others noticed this too but then again, maybe I'm a college basketball junkie/geek and I'm the only one who caught this...

CBSSN - URI vs. SLU (seeing our current favorites play)...
ESPN2 - Michigan State. vs. Maryland (saw ol' friend David Cox in that UMD huddle)...so I switched over to
ESPN - Arkansas vs. Kentucky (and saw our ol' friends the Mitchell twins shake hands after the game with another ol' friend Jacob Toppin)

It was URI NIGHT at the time slot tonight...who knew??!!
7 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Listened to the game on the Varsity App. Stone and Silk do a great job. The App was pretty good tonight. Only a few repeats. While the turnover number was manageable, it sounded like quite a few were of the extremely unforced variety.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 1 year ago Because of the Covid year, both Leggett and Freeman are only sophomores, correct? They already form one of the better backcourt tandems in the conference.

Assuming both stay, and Archie gets the right front court pieces around them, their senior year could be a lot of fun for Rhody fans. I’m taking a glass half full mentality.
Freeman doesn’t get the extra Covid year, he’s a true sophomore. Two seasons left.

Leggett doesn’t get the Covid year, he’s a true junior but he also has two years left after this season.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 1 year ago In the postgame, Rothstein mentioned how this is only Archie’s first year, but a few tweaks to the roster and he’ll have us top of the conference just like when he was at Dayton.

Also mentioned how he saw Stewart at a practice earlier this season and was impressed with his game.
I heard that too, Rothstein is a big Archie guy good stuff
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Always frustrating to lose but if we are plotting the data points and trying to see if we are showing enough signs of life, this one for me goes in the “encouraging” section.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This game shows me once again the importance of 3 point shooting. We can hang with anyone when we get decent outside shooting. Happy to see Rory get going. I think people here were dismissive of his value going forward, if he starts getting comfortable shooting he is a rotational player for the next 3 years.
2 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 1 year ago Because of the Covid year, both Leggett and Freeman are only sophomores, correct? They already form one of the better backcourt tandems in the conference.

Freeman doesn’t get the extra Covid year, he’s a true sophomore. Two seasons left.

Leggett doesn’t get the Covid year, he’s a true junior but he also has two years left after this season.
Pretty sure leggett gets the Covid year
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago

Pretty sure leggett gets the Covid year

You’re 100% right, don’t know why I said he doesn’t lol I knew it did, thus why I said he still has two more years.

Too angry after the game to type.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Braydon, maybe he feels he has to do too much giving the options on the floor at any given time, however there is a bit too much Fattsesq in his game to be totally integrated into a more balanced team concept. Just me. Have at it, I guess.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

You are not alone at all. I had already planned on him and Martin leaving. If he stays it only sets us back. The backcourt we have isn’t as good as people think. We have no three point weapons or anything close to the assassins that a Tyrell and EC were with very good complimentary pieces.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

At this point still seeing us going 3-4 the rest of the way.
Glad that Rory found his shot and contributed, but definitely not a 5.
Alex is still a little raw offensively but liked his effort and play above the rim.

Never expected much this season but I see some flashes so not terrible.
Yes we have some nice pieces going forward, but again it will take time.
Archie will try and keep most of this roster intact, but yeah he will probably tweak it and fill in.
Dubs and Cam are a good start.
I can see Samb, Bassy, and Hutch as all question marks for being here next season.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agreed Jersey tho I don’t think he lets Hutch walk. Too much to like there in terms of size, skill set and IQ.

That was probably Tchikou’s best game IMO. Was aggressive to a few rebounds, offers some resistance at the rim and that catch and dunk on the alley oop displays his high end athleticism. I don’t think he’s ever a 4 for us but I do see a role for him going fwd.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
No not alone. The Likes for Carey to Go/Stay are close to even.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

[/quote]

But he doesn’t often, and we don’t. That’s the problem.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

CaptainRon wrote: 1 year ago
It's such a sad commentary on the state of our men's basketball program that people are genuinely excited at the possibility of a mediocre 24-year-old guard returning to the team next season.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

5 Turnovers last night is a problem. Careless Carey is a great offensive asset but needs to limit these turnovers.
1 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Carey's fine as a guy off the bench, someone that you can ride for 25 minutes if it's a good night, or bench after 5 minutes if it's a bad night. He's stretched as a starter in most situations. Martin, Carey and to a lesser extent Weston have been our "best" options for the 3 this year, but they're probably all bench rotation players on a better team.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

TO’s have been his MO and he alone had 35% of the teams last night. I know he’s a guard and has the ball a lot, so he has the opportunity to have more, but he sure seems to have more than his fair share.

This could also be a symptom, maybe he doesn’t trust his teammates and forces it too much which leads to too many TOs. That may be the same for Bray.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I watched the first half and the last 5 mins (dozed off on the couch at half time to wake up with 5 or 6 left). Liked that we kept in it the whole way and did better than expected. Going on that 10-2 run late to go from 8 down with 3 to play to tied at 71 was great. I thought the key from there was stalling with a minute left tied with the ball and then forcing what wasn't a great look, then we give up the dagger 3. After coming back with the run, I think it would be better to be more assertive as SLU was sort of on the ropes there or at least the pressure was on them. I guess the take some time off isn't bad, but there wasn't a good look after. Work the ball around if you are going to stall and get a good open look.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”