Nov. 18 - at Towson*
* CAA Football contest

https://gorhody.com/news/2023/1/10/2023 ... eased.aspx
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 Football Schedule Released

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Interesting thing that I didn't notice initially, that Stony Brook game is actually on a Friday, so will be a night game

"Rhode Island will open the 2023 season with back-to-back night games, as the Rams travel to Georgia State on Thursday, Aug. 31 and then come home to host Stony Brook on Friday, Sept. 8 under the lights at Meade Stadium. The complete CAA Football schedule was released by the conference Tuesday afternoon."

Can't say I'm a fan of a weeknight game, just further proof college football should be played during the day
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

I like the night game early in the season as it will be warm enough at night. Later in the season 1pm or 2 pm start times are comfortable as the sun is still out. URI football hopefully can get a crowd of over 7k at this game. A few years back the crowd was great against the Blue Hens to open the field turf field.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bartoburger wrote: 1 year ago I like the night game early in the season as it will be warm enough at night. Later in the season 1pm or 2 pm start times are comfortable as the sun is still out. URI football hopefully can get a crowd of over 7k at this game. A few years back the crowd was great against the Blue Hens to open the field turf field.
A. Official capacity this past year was 4800, though we did get 5415 in for Elon, which was considered a sell out. No way we get close to 7k, let alone above it.
B. Even if the capacity weren't an issue, you should temper expectations for attendance anyway. Totally different comparing a Friday night game to the first modern era game with lights on a Saturday. This game isn't going to have near the appeal or novelty of the Delaware game.
C. This is probably going to be an absolute cluster between people still on campus trying to get off and people coming on to campus trying to tailgate. Really bad idea on multiple levels to have a weeknight game when school is in session
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Bartoburger wrote: 1 year ago I like the night game early in the season as it will be warm enough at night. Later in the season 1pm or 2 pm start times are comfortable as the sun is still out. URI football hopefully can get a crowd of over 7k at this game. A few years back the crowd was great against the Blue Hens to open the field turf field.
A. Official capacity this past year was 4800, though we did get 5415 in for Elon, which was considered a sell out. No way we get close to 7k, let alone above it.
B. Even if the capacity weren't an issue, you should temper expectations for attendance anyway. Totally different comparing a Friday night game to the first modern era game with lights on a Saturday. This game isn't going to have near the appeal or novelty of the Delaware game.
C. This is probably going to be an absolute cluster between people still on campus trying to get off and people coming on to campus trying to tailgate. Really bad idea on multiple levels to have a weeknight game when school is in session

You ever heard of Friday Night Lights? Yes that's more synonymous with high school, but there are Friday night games across the country every single week for college.

Having a Friday night game with students on campus is a bad thing? What the hell are you talking about?

Yea, let's build lights for nothing.

We have people complain we don't have enough nights games, now people complaining all games should be played during the day.

Just tremendous.
1 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

You ever heard of Friday Night Lights? Yes that's more synonymous with high school, but there are Friday night games across the country every single week for college.

Having a Friday night game with students on campus is a bad thing? What the hell are you talking about?

Yea, let's build lights for nothing.

We have people complain we don't have enough nights games, now people complaining all games should be played during the day.

Just tremendous.
I will agree with you that it's silly to build the lights and then not use them... But also, Friday night *is* high school football night in Rhode Island, haha. Saturday night seems like a better day for it as a result. But, I kind of understand that there's only some overlap between those two audiences, and it's probably going to be a sellout anyway.

re: On-campus traffic control, I don't think it's going to be that different from a basketball game. Maybe slightly more congestion, if people want to tailgate. But Friday evening on the URI campus isn't as crowded as a normal weekday anyway, at least in my experience. If you're going home for the weekend, you pretty much leave after your last class, whenever that is. Most students don't have normal 9 to 5 schedules, and while there is plenty of staff there, their footprint is smaller.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

As a committed tailgate participant I prefer Saturday kickoffs at 1pm. Plenty of time before and after the game for tailgating and socializing.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I remember years ago the coaches would say that playing Saturday afternoon hurt their recruiting of local talent because they couldn’t go in person to see the recruits games. Now, I would say that the majority of high school games are on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons. I think that Saturday night games in the early part of the season is the way to go. As a STH with my wife, we are fans of the Saturday night games.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Anyone get the email about season tickets? Why are they selling chair back seats on the east stands if it is to be torn down?
Any inside info on this?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I didn't get an email, maybe because I'm already a season ticket holder? Looking at the ticketing website it indicates the only chair backs are on the Ryan Center side:

https://gorhody.com/sports/2023/1/18/ti ... ts-23.aspx

Any chance you can copy and paste what you're seeing in the email they sent you?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago I didn't get an email, maybe because I'm already a season ticket holder? Looking at the ticketing website it indicates the only chair backs are on the Ryan Center side:

https://gorhody.com/sports/2023/1/18/ti ... ts-23.aspx

Any chance you can copy and paste what you're seeing in the email they sent you?
I got the email but I don’t see anything about chairbacks in East stands.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

My apologies I read the map wrong.
Time for some glasses… lol
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They're finally doing the smart thing and going back to a dedicated Homecoming and a dedicated Family Weekend. Family Weekend will be 9/30 vs Bryant and Homecoming will be 10/14 at 1 vs Richmond.

The Stony Brook Friday night game will be at 7, Bryant is TBA, and the other three home games start at 1

https://gorhody.com/sports/football/schedule
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Playing in Orono, ME, in mid Sept: very smart.

You want to go there as early as humanly possible in the season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

CAA Football media day is July 25th and August 7th Stats will announce the preseason top 25. NCAA.com only lists the coaches poll and Stats poll on their website when looking for FCS rankings
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago They're finally doing the smart thing and going back to a dedicated Homecoming and a dedicated Family Weekend. Family Weekend will be 9/30 vs Bryant and Homecoming will be 10/14 at 1 vs Richmond.

The Stony Brook Friday night game will be at 7, Bryant is TBA, and the other three home games start at 1

https://gorhody.com/sports/football/schedule
The Bryant game is at 1, and sold out yesterday after less than an hour of being on sale to the general public
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

Good news for ticket sales. How many were sold? Hopefully the capacity is increased
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Massey projections for this coming season. Projected to go 8-3, with our loses being at Georgia State, at Villanova, and vs Richmond. Honestly, I take that and run if offered because that should be enough to get us in the playoffs

https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/6516
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think the range is 2 to 4 losses. With a 4 essentially meaning missing the playoffs, 3 or 2 equaling getting in. I'll take 8-3 and the playoffs, absolutely. Need that "break through" season. Hoping this is it.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

A break through season with a renovated Meade on the horizon? Look out!
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Massey projected standings:

1. Delaware 10-1 (8-0)
2. William & Mary 10-1 (8-0) - Delaware gets a slight edge because Massey has them outright favored to win all conference games, W&M vs Elon is listed as 50-50 with W&M winning by 1.
t3. Richmond 9-2 (7-1)
t3. Villanova 9-2 (7-1) - listed Richmond first because Massey has them ranked higher
5. Rhode Island 8-3 (6-2)
6. Elon 6-5 (4-4)
7. Monmouth 6-5 (4-4) -Elon is projected to beat Monmouth in their game.
8. New Hampshire 6-5 (4-4) - Elon and Monmouth both have 50-50 conference games they're projected to lose so they each go ahead of UNH who is outright projected to lose 4.
9. Maine 4-7 (3-5)
10. NC A&T 5-6 (3-5) - 50-50 game they're projected to win, so Maine gets a slight advantage.
11. Towson 5-6 (2-6)
12. Campbell 3-8 (2-6) - Towson with the edge on Campbell due to a 50-50 projected loss.
13. Albany 4-8 (2-6) - Albany last on the 2-6 teams because they have a 50-50 projected win (Massey has them going 1-6-1 just by percentages)
t14. Stony Brook 1-10 (0-8)
t14. Hampton 2-9 (0-8)

https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/colonial/ratings
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago 2023 Rhode Island Football Schedule
Sept. 8 - Stony Brook* - picked to finish 14th
Sept. 16 - at Maine* - picked to finish 13th
Sept. 23 - at Villanova* - picked to finish 7th
Oct. 14 - Richmond* - picked to finish 3rd
Oct. 21 - at UAlbany* - picked to finish 11th
Oct. 28 - New Hampshire* - picked to finish 2nd
Nov. 11 - North Carolina A&T* - picked to finish 10th
Nov. 18 - at Towson* - picked to finish 9th
We avoid 1st (William & Mary), 4th (Delaware), and 5th (Elon), and get 2nd and 3rd at home
0 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Just read that the CAA is no longer the Colonial Athletic Association. It is now the Coastal Athletic Association. Not sure if anyone else mentioned it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RIrugger01 wrote: 9 months ago Just read that the CAA is no longer the Colonial Athletic Association. It is now the Coastal Athletic Association. Not sure if anyone else mentioned it.
Yes. It was posted in the Conference Realignment thread

viewtopic.php?t=9068&start=450
Last edited by ramster 9 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago
We avoid 1st (William & Mary), 4th (Delaware), and 5th (Elon), and get 2nd and 3rd at home
Looks promising!

Although it seems like each year the preseason rankings are way off.

I'm not certain about that, but it has always felt like the league is very unpredictable.

I seem to remember several teams picked next to last put together a playoff season and teams ranked high fall completely on their face several times. Like for all we know Stony Brook will be great for no reason.

Power 5 football seems to be a little more predictable.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago
Looks promising!

I'm not certain about that, but it has always felt like the league is very unpredictable.

I seem to remember several teams picked next to last put together a playoff season and teams ranked high fall completely on their face several times. Like for all we know Stony Brook will be great for no reason.

CAA is a competitive league and home field advantage means a lot. James Madison leaving made the teams more even top to bottom.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 9 months ago
Looks promising!

It's a double edged sword assuming that's pretty close to how the teams shake out. We should be able to get wins, but we'll need 8 of them for sure to make the playoffs with that strength of schedule
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Is there any reason why we don't put names on our jerseys?

Is it the old Penn State/USC routine of team first? Or are we just being cheap?

I've noticed a lot of FCS teams don't have names on their jerseys.

It just looks better with names and makes us look even more small time when we play the Pitt's of the world.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2023 Rhode Island Football Schedule - with AFCA Coaches Poll Preseason Rankings
Aug. 31 - at Georgia State FBS Team
Sept. 8 - Stony Brook* NR
Sept. 16 - at Maine* NR
Sept. 23 - at Villanova* Ranked #50
Sept. 30 - Bryant NR
Oct. 7 - at Brown NR
Oct. 14 - Richmond* Ranked #16
Oct. 21 - at UAlbany* NR
Oct. 28 - New Hampshire* Ranked #12
Nov. 4 - BYE
Nov. 11 - North Carolina A&T* Ranked #38
Nov. 18 - at Towson* NR

We do not play from CAA:
William & Mary #4
Delaware #21
Elon #30
Campbell #49
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

That’s one way to make some money!!!!
Attachments
IMG_4021.jpeg
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Small sample size and all, but don't expect a major change based on the NCAA's new clock rules

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 8 months ago 2023 Rhode Island Football Schedule - with AFCA Coaches Poll Preseason Rankings
Aug. 31 - at Georgia State FBS Team
Sept. 8 - Stony Brook* NR
Sept. 16 - at Maine* NR
Sept. 23 - at Villanova* Ranked #50
Sept. 30 - Bryant NR
Oct. 7 - at Brown NR
Oct. 14 - Richmond* Ranked #16
Oct. 21 - at UAlbany* NR
Oct. 28 - New Hampshire* Ranked #12
Nov. 4 - BYE
Nov. 11 - North Carolina A&T* Ranked #38
Nov. 18 - at Towson* NR

We do not play from CAA:
William & Mary #4
Delaware #21
Elon #30
Campbell #49

Latest Top 25 Rankings in Top 25 CAA

William & Mary No. 4
New Hampshire No. 11
Delaware No. 19

We play New Hampshire Oct 28
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 9 months ago Massey projections for this coming season. Projected to go 8-3, with our loses being at Georgia State, at Villanova, and vs Richmond. Honestly, I take that and run if offered because that should be enough to get us in the playoffs

https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/6516
Coming off of our showing at Georgia State, and Richmond's loss vs. Morgan St., the only game we're projected to lose the rest of the way is at Villanova. 9-2 when you go game by game, but they say our most likely record is 7-4
0 x