2022-2023 Women's Basketball Season

Discuss everything related to the women's team.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2022-2023 Women's Basketball Season

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Love Tammi , such a great coach hope we can keep her for as long as possible
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Love Tammi , such a great coach hope we can keep her for as long as possible
We will if we can increase attendance. I think (hope!) we're heading in the right direction.
2 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Before today's game take a listen to our newest episode featuring SmartyBarrett talking about the Mens and Womens teams.

2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

27-22 URI at the half. We're outrebounding them 28-15 but shooting has been off. GO RHODY!!
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

68-68 as we start DOUBLE OVERTIME 🥴
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

77-73 URI wins in double OT over St Josephs
Hard fought battle
Huge 3 pointer by Emma Squires with just 2 seconds on the shot clock about 1.5 minutes to go in 2nd OT

Lassiter also had a big 3 pointer

18 points 18 rebounds for Toure

22 offensive rebounds for URI
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

W O W what a game.
What a win!
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What a great gutsy win by the Rams tonight. Great game!!!!!
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Ladies night tonight!

UMass was losing last I checked. Did they come back or lose?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

UMass won. GW and Fordham also won. Those three + Rhody are your top four right now. URI still has a game left against each of those teams.
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

How was the attendance?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

damram wrote: 1 year ago How was the attendance?
1,415 announced. Got loud down the stretch and in the OTs, too.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
damram wrote: 1 year ago How was the attendance?
1,415 announced. Got loud down the stretch and in the OTs, too.
Good crowd. But considering how entertaining our team is we should be getting more fans than that. Especially with all the special promotions going on.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The team is not playing as well as earlier in the season. Dolly Cairns had a lousy night and Rnat didn't pick up the slack. Still, they gutted out the win thanks to upper class leadership from Squires and Lassiter I'm hoping that this was just a mid-season slump and not the beginning of a season-ending fade.

We need to get Dolly, Sophie and Rinat making their treys or we are toast and this A10 winning streak will be coming to an end.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The 60 rebounds vs St Joseph’s tied URI WBB for 5th most rebounds in a game. The 22 offensive rebounds might be a record but I could only find total rebounds in the record book.
03ABCC10-F3DA-4191-9F0E-5BCA2453E62E.png
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago The 60 rebounds vs St Joseph’s tied URI WBB for 5th most rebounds in a game. The 22 offensive rebounds might be a record but I could only find total rebounds in the record book.
The offensive rebounds were because we shot so poorly. SJU stayed in the game with great foul shooting.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago The 60 rebounds vs St Joseph’s tied URI WBB for 5th most rebounds in a game. The 22 offensive rebounds might be a record but I could only find total rebounds in the record book.
The offensive rebounds were because we shot so poorly. SJU stayed in the game with great foul shooting.
On the plus side we beat a solid St Joseph’s team that beat us last year in the A10 Tournament. A good victory.
Tenin Magassa played only her 2nd game of the season.
In 11 minutes Magassa had 5 points, 5 rebounds and 3 blocks. Tenin had 3 of URI’s 4 total blocks.
Toure’s 18 points and career high 18 rebounds was an impressive performance.
A win is a win. Double OT could have gone either way.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We go from 67 to 68 in the NET rankings. I know we were at home and were 30 spots better than St. Joe's so were the favorite, but that's a tough pill to drop a spot when you win a game like that
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago We go from 67 to 68 in the NET rankings. I know we were at home and were 30 spots better than St. Joe's so were the favorite, but that's a tough pill to drop a spot when you win a game like that
I think the drop could have been more. We almost lost at home to a team we were favored to defeat. If we play the same versus UMass we will probably lose.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The team is not playing as well as earlier in the season. Dolly Cairns had a lousy night and Rnat didn't pick up the slack. Still, they gutted out the win thanks to upper class leadership from Squires and Lassiter I'm hoping that this was just a mid-season slump and not the beginning of a season-ending fade.

We need to get Dolly, Sophie and Rinat making their treys or we are toast and this A10 winning streak will be coming to an end.
72, could you expand on your first sentence ? Do you mean statistically, eyeball test, both? Or, possibly from conference foes being more familiar with us? Thanks.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
On the plus side we beat a solid St Joseph’s team that beat us last year in the A10 Tournament. A good victory.
In 11 minutes Magassa had 5 points, 5 rebounds and 3 blocks. Tenin had 3 of URI’s 4 total blocks.
Not sure I saw this posted before.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Magassa has been practicing with the team for the past month.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago The team is not playing as well as earlier in the season. Dolly Cairns had a lousy night and Rnat didn't pick up the slack. Still, they gutted out the win thanks to upper class leadership from Squires and Lassiter I'm hoping that this was just a mid-season slump and not the beginning of a season-ending fade.

72, could you expand on your first sentence ? Do you mean statistically, eyeball test, both? Or, possibly from conference foes being more familiar with us? Thanks.

You are clueless and toxic on the men's board and you are toxic and clueless on the women's board. At least you are consistent.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I was thinking about shooting and movement on offense. Dolly is a very accurate shooter and she was off all night Emmi didn't have it either. Sophie was good. Dolly is always in motion, but I thought Emmi and H-C were very stationary as though the plan was to draw the defense out and pound the ball inside. We looked tired even though we hadn't played in a week and Tammi substitutes frequently. I think we are a better team when we are shooting and making treys. As you suggest, it may be the conference getting use to us - and we are on the Plan B.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Magassa has been practicing with the team for the past month.
I was aware of that but didn't know about those minute's restrictions.
Hopefully come A10 tournament time they will be lifted.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Say Lassiter had 13 rebounds last night. And she's our point guard!

That's the kind of unexpected performance we're getting from practically all players this season - and the mark of a special team.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Next up we face Davidson on Sat. in NC.
They are currently 4-3 (A-10) coming off a loss at Fordham.

Their leader is forward Elle Sutphin (6'3") averaging 17 pts/ 8 rebs.
Also:
Deegan- Preseason 21-22 All A10 but got injured, averaging 14 pts/6.6 rebs.
Morgan - 21-22 All-Rookie Team, averaging 7.5 pts
Plank- Another starter averaging 7 pts.

Welch who is team captain and 2-year starter was averaging 10 pts/5 rebs, but has been out and only played 7 games this season.

This should be another good road test but thinking we come out on top.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The game is at Davidson. Our next home game is Wednesday
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago The game is at Davidson. Our next home game is Wednesday
Yep, thanks 02, my bad.
I edited it.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I was thinking about shooting and movement on offense. Dolly is a very accurate shooter and she was off all night Emmi didn't have it either. Sophie was good. Dolly is always in motion, but I thought Emmi and H-C were very stationary as though the plan was to draw the defense out and pound the ball inside. We looked tired even though we hadn't played in a week and Tammi substitutes frequently. I think we are a better team when we are shooting and making treys. As you suggest, it may be the conference getting use to us - and we are on the Plan B.
Look at it as we beat a very good team in St Joseph’s:
  • St Joe lost to UMASS on the road by just 2 points
  • Mackenzie Smith scored 38 points for St Joe vs Richmond in an OT game the last game St Joe played
  • St Joe upset URI last year in the 1st game of the A10 Tournament for URI. St Joe returns 4 of their 5 starters from that game plus bench players plus Laura Ziegler 6’2” freshman from Denmark who has been A10 Rookie of the Week 5 times already!!
  • URI returns only 1 starter from last years A10 playoff game, Dolly Cairns. Toure only other returnee from last years team that played in that game for URI
  • St Joe was a very good team and very capable of winning the A10 Tournament this year in Wilmington
True we had some players off on shooting but Toure picked us up with a career high 18 rebounds to go with 18 points, Lassiter 13 rebounds. Tied for 5th most rebounds in a game in history. We scrapped, clawed and coached our way to a double OT win. Take it, enjoy it, learn from it and move on to the next game. It was a great win. Enjoy the season this team is having. Enjoy Tammi and her staff. She for sure continues to rise up the Coaching ladder. Enjoy the moments and the season.
F4F65CD5-4B33-460F-A7DA-71966D5EE064.jpeg
6347A44A-9103-4B3B-A91B-7EBEF93A27CB.jpeg
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm grateful for ESPN+ to be able to follow this team as they tear through the A10! Go Rams!

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

True we had some players off on shooting but Toure picked us up with a career high 18 rebounds to go with 18 points, Lassiter 13 rebounds. Tied for 5th most rebounds in a game in history. We scrapped, clawed and coached our way to a double OT win. Take it, enjoy it, learn from it and move on to the next game. It was a great win. Enjoy the season this team is having. Enjoy Tammi and her staff. She for sure continues to rise up the Coaching ladder. Enjoy the moments and the season.
Ramster, thank you for your thoughtful comments. I have the upmost respect for Tammi, her staff and players. They get the way the game is structured today and are capable of putting together a team each year that will compete for the A10 title, a berth in the NCAAT and beyond. This is exciting and what I want from URI in all programs. Still, as a fan I have the unrealistic expectation that every player will have the best game of their career every outing, and I want them to feel the same way and prepare for it accordingly. To be the very best, you need to expect the unattainable of oneself. I'm enjoying the journey as a fan of the URI WBB program.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Look at it as we beat a very good team in St Joseph’s:
  • St Joe lost to UMASS on the road by just 2 points
  • Mackenzie Smith scored 38 points for St Joe vs Richmond in an OT game the last game St Joe played
  • St Joe upset URI last year in the 1st game of the A10 Tournament for URI. St Joe returns 4 of their 5 starters from that game plus bench players plus Laura Ziegler 6’2” freshman from Denmark who has been A10 Rookie of the Week 5 times already!!
  • URI returns only 1 starter from last years A10 playoff game, Dolly Cairns. Toure only other returnee from last years team that played in that game for URI
  • St Joe was a very good team and very capable of winning the A10 Tournament this year in Wilmington

F4F65CD5-4B33-460F-A7DA-71966D5EE064.jpeg

6347A44A-9103-4B3B-A91B-7EBEF93A27CB.jpeg
St. Joe's and URI were the top two teams in the A10 for scoring defense coming into that game, and I can see why St. Joe's is up there, their defense gave us fits
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Ramster, thank you for your thoughtful comments. I have the upmost respect for Tammi, her staff and players. They get the way the game is structured today and are capable of putting together a team each year that will compete for the A10 title, a berth in the NCAAT and beyond. This is exciting and what I want from URI in all programs. Still, as a fan I have the unrealistic expectation that every player will have the best game of their career every outing, and I want them to feel the same way and prepare for it accordingly. To be the very best, you need to expect the unattainable of oneself. I'm enjoying the journey as a fan of the URI WBB program.
For someone who claims to "enjoy" the Lady Rams you sure have an odd way of showing it. You're a wretched excuse for a fan and an abscessed boil on the ass of Keaney Blue.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

GAME TIME!!!!!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

3-2 at the 4:50 mark. That's a soccer score, not a basketball game. 🥺
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

10-4 at 2:08. Worst quarter of basketball this year - by far. Tammi must be apoplectic. I know I am.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

13-7 Davidson at end of 1st Quarter. Got to do better than that.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

That's more like it! Rhody on a 10-0 run led by three straight 3s from MHC* to take it's first lead 20-19.

*Madison Hattix-Covington
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Well that was an impressive 18-0 run! 28-22 Rhody.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

8 turnovers in the 1st quarter, 0 in the 2nd. There's the difference. MHC with 15 at the half.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

MHC with 15 at the half as Rhody leads 32-24, thanks to a 23-5 run. That's 25 points in the second quarter. Let's see more of that please!
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

14-26/4-10 shooting in first half.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Let’s go!! Great turnaround in the 2Q!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Let's finish this up right now!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Nother win!!
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

67-60 Lady Rams. 10-0 in A10, 19-3 overall.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

10-0!!!
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley