Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Re: Where Are They Now? Former Player Results and News

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Long, Martin, Toppin, Tate were all significant talent losses for the DC regime.
We could have had Bird, Parrish and McHale and Cox still couldn't coach them.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Get used to it. I bet Ish gets offered $100k+ to transfer to a p5
A Toppin transfer to Kentucky and a potential Leggett transfer to a P6 school couldn’t be compared in the slightest.

Two completely different players and circumstances.
So a transfer out for a p5 is not the same? Not sure what you are saying.
Toppin transferred strictly because of his last name/brother and his perceived potential.

A Leggett transfer would happen because of his current skill and production.
0 x
Go Rhody
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
JimSidd wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I liked Mekhi’s game. Old Dominion has a good coach and is in a good league. I’m surprised by the 19 rebounds, but who wouldn’t be. I’m not so sure his talent wouldn’t translate well to the A-10. The A-10 isn’t a top 10 conference anymore.
Good point. I had the older version of the A10 in my head, not the A10 of the past 2 1/2 years. The fact that Long could play in the current A10 may say more about the league than about him. I know league strength runs in cycles and the hiring of name coaches at several schools can help, but I wonder about the future of the league. In Lunardi’s bracketology the other day, he had VCU as the automatic qualifier (pre loss to the Bonnies) and a 12 seed. Not good to have your league champion as a 12 seed.
Gonna be even worse when they don't end up as league champ...
My point wasn’t about VCU specifically. Lunardi just chose them because they were in first place that particular day, probably due to a tiebreaker. Substitute St Louis or Dayton. It doesn’t matter right now, unless one of these three starts rolling all its remaining opponents. Sadly, a 12 seed is probably right on point. The A10 is basically the Missouri Valley Conference this year. The key will be how quickly things get turned around.
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

A Toppin transfer to Kentucky and a potential Leggett transfer to a P6 school couldn’t be compared in the slightest.

Two completely different players and circumstances.
So a transfer out for a p5 is not the same? Not sure what you are saying.
Toppin transferred strictly because of his last name/brother and his perceived potential.

A Leggett transfer would happen because of his current skill and production.
And even that I’m not worried about. As much as todays day and age is synonymous with transfers, it’s also peak “if you’re good they’ll find you”

Leggett can go places from URI. Hell, his fellow HS Alumni Jeff dowtin did just that.

If he chooses to chase a big bag of money we can’t compete with, who knows. But he’d also just be a guy on a P5 team, vs being THE guy here.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good point to be reminded of, KL. Good for me, anyway as I sometimes forget.

In general (not specific to Ish), being just another guy (JAG) on a P5 team vs being the guy here: Hopefully as time goes along and things play out, being the guy here (or other A10 programs) wins out over leaving.

Of course NIL money will play a role, too.

Good stuff.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Good point. I had the older version of the A10 in my head, not the A10 of the past 2 1/2 years. The fact that Long could play in the current A10 may say more about the league than about him. I know league strength runs in cycles and the hiring of name coaches at several schools can help, but I wonder about the future of the league. In Lunardi’s bracketology the other day, he had VCU as the automatic qualifier (pre loss to the Bonnies) and a 12 seed. Not good to have your league champion as a 12 seed.
My point wasn’t about VCU specifically. Lunardi just chose them because they were in first place that particular day, probably due to a tiebreaker. Substitute St Louis or Dayton. It doesn’t matter right now, unless one of these three starts rolling all its remaining opponents. Sadly, a 12 seed is probably right on point. The A10 is basically the Missouri Valley Conference this year. The key will be how quickly things get turned around.
what i'm saying is...none of those three will be the A10 champ.... what seed does a 'non one-of-those three' get?
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

what i'm saying is...none of those three will be the A10 champ.... what seed does a 'non one-of-those three' get?
No better than a 12, no matter who it is, based on league performance so far.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Long, Martin, Toppin, Tate were all significant talent losses for the DC regime.
Aren't some of these losses attributed to Thorr selecting DC as coach, and players who came to URI to play for DH as well as matters unrelated to the basketball team? You may be missing the problem.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Right, I get that....but could "none of those three" end up worse than a 12?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Aren't some of these losses attributed to Thorr selecting DC as coach, and players who came to URI to play for DH as well as matters unrelated to the basketball team? You may be missing the problem.
Thorr didn’t coach the team.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Thorr hired the coach who wasn't ready. Do you really expect someone to turn down a promotion at a ~6 fold increase in salary? Would you?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Thorr hired the coach who wasn't ready. Do you really expect someone to turn down a promotion at a ~6 fold increase in salary? Would you?
It wasn't 6 fold...more like 3-4 fold. And if you were in charge apparently it would have been 6-7 fold.
And yes the sitting HC who lost the players is responsible for losing the players. Not the AD.
Remind me of that commitment video that said "I am choosing to play in RI bc I love their AD."
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
It wasn't 6 fold...more like 3-4 fold. And if you were in charge apparently it would have been 6-7 fold.
And yes the sitting HC who lost the players is responsible for losing the players. Not the AD.
Remind me of that commitment video that said "I am choosing to play in RI bc I love their AD."
DC's compensation was~$730K. So you are saying he made ~$200K as an assistant. Not even close. These players came to play for DH, not DC and not URI. Thorr failed to hire a replacement for DH who was acceptable to them and instead tried to save money. As for your other slights, I opposed the hiring of DC because he was a project. I believe in paying the position; if the candidate would accept a much lower salary, he probably is not worthy of the job.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
DC's compensation was~$730K. So you are saying he made ~$200K as an assistant. Not even close. These players came to play for DH, not DC and not URI. Thorr failed to hire a replacement for DH who was acceptable to them and instead tried to save money. As for your other slights, I opposed the hiring of DC because he was a project. I believe in paying the position; if the candidate would accept a much lower salary, he probably is not worthy of the job.
You’re stupid. No one likes you. Go fuck yourself.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
"Profanity is the attempt of a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully."
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

"Profanity is the attempt of a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully."
“You’re stupid. No one likes you. Go fuck yourself.”
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Right, I get that....but could "none of those three" end up worse than a 12?
I would say yes, a 13 seed is likely if a team other than these three wins the tournament.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Kenny Green. Fun Times.

3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Kenny Green. Fun Times.

Thanks for posting that, 78! Absolutely tremendous.

My favorite Rhody big man and we have had some tremendous ones. Fantastic post moves, quick leaper, tremendous rim protector, outstanding rebounder. Loved his game and that team as much as I love the 77-78 team.

Many of us oldies here are very fortunate. I feel sad for Rhody fans that didn’t get to see KG play live nor will likely see his type of skill set combined with level of play live at the Ryan as the game continues to be dominated by the 3 and bigs float out to the 3 line.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Incredible piece , great interviews look forward to seeing the others thanks for sharing
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

My favorite Rhody big man and we have had some tremendous ones. Fantastic post moves, quick leaper, tremendous rim protector, outstanding rebounder. Loved his game and that team as much as I love the 77-78 team.

Many of us oldies here are very fortunate. I feel sad for Rhody fans that didn’t get to see KG play live nor will likely see his type of skill set combined with level of play live at the Ryan as the game continues to be dominated by the 3 and bigs float out to the 3 line.

From your description and everything else I’ve read on him, Hassan seems to have had a very similar game which all of us here got to witness.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

From your description and everything else I’ve read on him, Hassan seems to have had a very similar game which all of us here got to witness.
Kenny was much more athletic than Hass. Hass was always really good and always steady.Kenny was often spectacular. If not for his knees, he would have had a long and successful NBA career. I love them both.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Having witnessed both I differ.

IMHO, Hass approaches KG’s ability in shot blocking definitely, and rebounding to a lesser extent. So, in those two areas I see similarities and Rhody greatness. However, with respect to offensive post moves, and shooting touch, drawing fouls, not similar - KG being more proficient offensively in the lane, facing up or back to the basket, or with his jump shot.

That said, both were explosive and powerful when dunking, particularly when not slowed by injuries.

My description doesn’t do KG justice.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kenny was way better than Hass , if he had 2 good news he had a 12-15 year NBA career easily
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

KG was dynamic, Reef. What could have been if only…
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I remember KG sitting out practices to save his knees for games.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

This is how I envision BM and R72 interacting

2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

Les Grossman is a fair comparison imo
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodylocal
Jeff Kent

Unread post by rhodylocal »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago

Maybe we can get SBrand to interview them together on his youtube podcast.
0 x
Dan Hurley 2012-2018:
Year 1: 8-21 3-13 T–14th
Year 2:14-18 5-11 10th
Year 3:23-10 13-5 T-2nd NIT 2nd RD
Year 4:17-15 9-9 7th
Year 5:25-10 13-5 T-3rd NCAA T
Year 6:26-8 15-3 1st NCAA T

Archie Miller 2022-?:
Year 1:9-22 5-13 14th
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Go back and watch that Syracuse game from 1988. Kenny almost single-handedly fouled out a bunch of future first-round picks because they just couldn't guard him. As great as Hass was, he didn't have the offensive game Kenny did.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago Go back and watch that Syracuse game from 1988. Kenny almost single-handedly fouled out a bunch of future first-round picks because they just couldn't guard him. As great as Hass was, he didn't have the offensive game Kenny did.
Yeah I was born in 94, but I have watched the 1988 tournament games and I can tell Hass was not on Kenny's level at all really.

Put Kenny on that 2017 team and you don't need a miraculous run to make the dance that year.

Still hate how both guys were so banged up

What could have been
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Speaking of Rhody great centers and under the category of what could have been, if Art Stephenson was only 3 inches taller......
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Speaking of Rhody great centers and under the category of what could have been, if Art Stephenson was only 3 inches taller......
McRam were you even born then? :P
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago Speaking of Rhody great centers and under the category of what could have been, if Art Stephenson was only 3 inches taller......
McRam were you even born then? :P
CAN'T REMEMBER!!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Still the best rebounder in Rhody history despite being only 6'-5"
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

REBOUNDS CAREER
1. 1,048 Art Stephenson 1965-68
2. 1,039 Gary Koenig 1959-62
3. 1,028 Antonio Reynolds Dean 1995-99
4. 996 Kenny Green 1985-90
5. 964 Cyril Langevine 2016-20
6. 869 Kahiem Seawright 2005-09
7. 786 Hassan Martin 2013-17
8. 773 Jimmy Wright 1977-81
9. 744 John Fultz 1967-70
10. 732 Jeff Kent 1988-92

Remember, Art did this in 3 seasons (frosh couldn't play varsity back then), whereas ARD, KG, Cyril, etc. did theirs in 4 seasons.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

He was such a special player for his size. And that very unorthodox jump shot. Didn’t he pass at a very young age from a heart attack?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Flipped over last night during halftime and the commercials. Kentucky was taking on Arkansas. Three former Rhody players combined to play over 90 minutes. Makhel had a good game and Makhi rebounded the ball well considering they were matched up against the reigning Naismith award winner...
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Mekhi Long with 13 pts/ 12 rebs yesterday as ODU wins at Georgia State 63-60.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Mekhi Long with 13 pts/ 12 rebs yesterday as ODU wins at Georgia State 63-60.
Pretty good. It appears the young man has worked to improve his game. Thanks for the info, Jersey.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Mekhi Long with 13 pts/ 12 rebs yesterday as ODU wins at Georgia State 63-60.
Pretty good. It appears the young man has worked to improve his game. Thanks for the info, Jersey.
I always liked him , that glue guy as they say
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Still the best rebounder in Rhody history despite being only 6'-5"
Antonio Reynolds-Dean was listed at 6-7 but he was closer to 6-4.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

good to see a former player staying in state and helping the community

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/we ... -republic/
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for posting, RamFan. Good stuff.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Sorry if I missed this, but did anyone get a chance to talk to Jeff Dowtin about his future plans?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This would be so much fun. I hope they can make it happen.

4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah that would be amazing!
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RAM67 wrote: 1 year ago Sorry if I missed this, but did anyone get a chance to talk to Jeff Dowtin about his future plans?
Not immediate future but…

Maybe 10 or so years from now or whenever he decides to hang up his sneakers, he will consider coaching.

I really hope he does. He appears to have the personality makeup, intelligence and communication skills to do it, from what I have observed.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Who was Jeff sitting next to ?? Was that a former player ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Who was Jeff sitting next to ?? Was that a former player ??
Will Leviton
1 x