2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by bigappleram »

The modern 4 has to be able to play face to basket and preferably is a threat out to the 3 point line. Or you end up with the Mitchell twins and 2 bodies wanting to occupy the same space. I don’t see either of those skills yet on Samb or Alex tho Alex has at least shown the ability to face up off the catch and try to beat his man. Neither has shown any ability out to 3 point line so to me they are 5’s that just don’t have the physicality yet to play that position. I do think Alex has the higher ceiling but both are so green who really knows.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago If Samb and Tchikou can't play the 5, then they probably can't play, period. Tchikou is a slightly better defender, so maybe he can hide at the 4 for a bit, but I don't think either is a 4 in the modern game. FWIW, I think they're 5s, but they need to bulk up and improve their rebounding. Neither one is really much of a shot blocker or deterrent from guys going at the rim. Tchikou's rebound rate has ticked up slightly lately, but you'd think a guy listed at 6'11" and 225 would be better at it.
If Samb is forced to play the 5 in the future, not sure he will fit Archie's system and will probably move on.

I don't necessarily agree with you about him as a 4, because he hasn't had much of an opportunity.
He runs the court extremely well, and has nice mid-range moves and touch.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here are the stats per 40 minute game and 100 possessions sorted hi to lo on Total Rebounds

Bilau better than Tchikou in rebounding and scoring but not by a lot
Tchikou a bit better passer and better in steals. Both sane in shot blocking and FT%
Big difference is Tchikou fouls at 2x the rate of Bilau. Will be interesting to see these 2 battle for playing time next year with Foumena and ?????
Also will be interesting to see how Tchikou improved as the season continues and we get to A10 tournament. If he gets his Personal Foul Rate lower he can get more playing time plus get more aggressive with shot blocking and steals. Reduce the silly fouls so to speak.

Samb and Stewart same in rebounding - not in ballpark of Bilau or Tchikou.
C85DB82D-1578-4173-9B5B-83539E151942.png
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago I have to admit that Ish is playing much better than I evet expected. Much better (then again....wdik)
You aren't alone NYG, not many would have expected him to have this type of a season.
He did show potential and flashes as a freshman, but last year was disappointing.
Sure glad that Archie was able to keep him.
Yeah Ish has been great this season he’s really improved leaps and bounds over last year’s performance
Pretty easy to see why. His game is getting to the hoop and either driving/getting fouled or pulling up in midrange. Last year had 2 centers on the floor who couldn’t move and a coach who wouldn’t make them.

No lane. No spacing. OF COURSE Ish couldn’t score last year. Give the man a coach and he’s back on track to being an all conference guard.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It never ends.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The modern 4 has to be able to play face to basket and preferably is a threat out to the 3 point line. Or you end up with the Mitchell twins and 2 bodies wanting to occupy the same space. I don’t see either of those skills yet on Samb or Alex tho Alex has at least shown the ability to face up off the catch and try to beat his man. Neither has shown any ability out to 3 point line so to me they are 5’s that just don’t have the physicality yet to play that position. I do think Alex has the higher ceiling but both are so green who really knows.
Alex has gotten better over the last month.

What they both need more than anything is the weight room.

They're just the developmental guys that in a healthier program don't see major minutes until at least their junior years.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder how our recruiting is going with the 2 JUCO bigs we offered?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder how our recruiting is going with the 2 JUCO bigs we offered?
The portal will also give us additional options.
Offers aren't binding anyways, so who knows.

I do trust the staff on which players they are really serious about.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago

You aren't alone NYG, not many would have expected him to have this type of a season.
He did show potential and flashes as a freshman, but last year was disappointing.
Sure glad that Archie was able to keep him.
Yeah Ish has been great this season he’s really improved leaps and bounds over last year’s performance
Pretty easy to see why. His game is getting to the hoop and either driving/getting fouled or pulling up in midrange. Last year had 2 centers on the floor who couldn’t move and a coach who wouldn’t make them.

No lane. No spacing. OF COURSE Ish couldn’t score last year. Give the man a coach and he’s back on track to being an all conference guard.
Yea I’m not sure why people are so surprised by how he’s played this year. Obviously he regressed/had a sophomore slump last year due primarily to the structure of the team around him

He averaged 6ppg as a true freshmen playing 20mpg. That tends to be a good indicator he has the tools to develop into a top 5 or 10 guard in the A10
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ish's improvement is an immediate credit to Arch. Both in player development and offensive strategy. It's night and day from the player we saw last year.
If he finishes at or near the level he has played at to this point he is a likely all conf selection (2nd or 3rd team). We'd help his cause greatly by winning a bunch more games.
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Doubled his ppg from 8 to 16 big shot in the arm for us
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Ish and Bray play together for 3 years and are coached by Archie for those 3 years, we'll be talking about that pair for a long time. I'm not talking about being on the level of Silk & Tommy or Tyson & Cat, but if they continue to grow together, they could be a great pair.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

A good milestone since we’re comparing rebuilds - it was pointed out in the La Salle thread that we’ve now tied Hurley’s 2012 win total.

We have 9 games to go. I really only look at St Louis on the road as our only “zero chance” game. But with how bad the A10 is, anything could happen.

To say we’re on the right track is an understatement.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It is well within average probability range that we win every remaining game or that we lose every game. I root for us to win every game.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

^^^^^^^
This might be R72's best troll work yet.
Yes, URI could perform anywhere from winless to undefeated. I can see you were a mathematics major.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago ^^^^^^^
This might be R72's best troll work yet.
Yes, URI could perform anywhere from winless to undefeated. I can see you were a mathematics major.
The forecast calls for a mixture of sun and clouds with a 50% chance of precipitation.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago It is well within average probability range that we win every remaining game or that we lose every game. I root for us to win every game.
Hahaahaha
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Hahaahaha
Stevey you are still at the "not knowing what you don't know stage". You didn't care if Ish entered the portal.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

As a check in - at 21 games:

2012: 6-15 (1-7)
2022: 8-13 (4-5)

In 2012 at this time, we were in the midst of a 6 game losing streak, having dropped 7 of 8.

2022 has won back to back games and is 4-4 in their last 8.

The 2012 team endured 3 losing streaks of 5 or more, one to start the season, that 6 game in the middle, and a 5 gamer to end it.

2022 has lost 3 in a row only twice, and has a chance to do what 2012's Rams couldn't - a 3 game win streak.

Officially, this will not be the worst rebuilding effort in our history - despite it feeling at times when it could've been our worst team ever.

Only going back to our A10 years since 1980, this could be/is our 2nd best "rebuilding" season ever (behind Penders' absurdity in 1987). There've been 5 coaches who I would say were given "rebuilds" (OG's check me if I'm wrong).

Brendan Malone (8-20 '85), Tom Penders (20-10 '87), Jerry D (5-25 '00), Baron (8-20 '02), and Hurley (8-21 '13).

Good perspective to keep.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BCRhody03 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Stevey you are still at the "not knowing what you don't know stage". You didn't care if Ish entered the portal.
Coming from you R72... pulling up receipts is hysterical

We could make a 10+ page thread of all the wrong/troll comments you've littered this board with.
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I have been following and supporting Ish since his high school days. I would text fellow URI fans about how high I was on Ish when we were recruiting him. I've met his family a few times. Great people. I've always felt connected to Ish because he's dealt with a lot due to his father's health. I donated to his dad's cause as I had a sick dad my entire childhood after a motorcycle accident. Some people on here can back me up on that.

I didn't think Ish would be this good this year. I thought Archie would help, but I'm not going to pretend he didn't have a bad season last year. He did. I'm not going to pretend he didn't look good at the scrimmage earlier in the year. He looked bad. I'm incredibly happy for him. He's been our best player.

I give my honest opinion about how the players play; none of it is personal. Unlike you, who says dumb shit to get a rise out of everyone here. Sometimes it's funny. Most of the time, it's sad.

I'll always support Ish. Let's discuss it in person. I'm in section 211, row A. You'll typically see me wearing a sweatshirt with the number 10 and Leggett on the back.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
I have been following and supporting Ish since his high school days. I would text fellow URI fans about how high I was on Ish when we were recruiting him. I've met his family a few times. Great people. I've always felt connected to Ish because he's dealt with a lot due to his father's health. I donated to his dad's cause as I had a sick dad my entire childhood after a motorcycle accident. Some people on here can back me up on that.

I didn't think Ish would be this good this year. I thought Archie would help, but I'm not going to pretend he didn't have a bad season last year. He did. I'm not going to pretend he didn't look good at the scrimmage earlier in the year. He looked bad. I'm incredibly happy for him. He's been our best player.

I give my honest opinion about how the players play; none of it is personal. Unlike you, who says dumb shit to get a rise out of everyone here. Sometimes it's funny. Most of the time, it's sad.

I'll always support Ish. Let's discuss it in person. I'm in section 211, row A. You'll typically see me wearing a sweatshirt with the number 10 and Leggett on the back.
No need to defend yourself against elderly, shitposting morons.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Stevey is very informative and objective when it comes to Rhody basketball.
I always value his input and opinion.

Also he was always a strong Ish supporter and has spoken highly of him.
But we also realized he did struggle a bit last season, along with the rest of the team.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Well said, Jersey.

Stevey provides great insight on the recruiting threads, too. Add me to the list of posters who appreciate his efforts here.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

But we also realized he did struggle a bit last season, along with the rest of the team.
Thanks, Jersey! You're the man, and I love talking Rhody hoops with you.

Same goes to you Jdrums
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Things appear to be trending up! Though the A10 of 2023 is not the same A10 our 2012 team had to face…so using record, especially A10 record is not an apples to apples comparison of how good the teams are, only how good they are compared to that seasons A10. In this case the weakest A10 in history or at least the last 30 years.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Things appear to be trending up! Though the A10 of 2023 is not the same A10 our 2012 team had to face…so using record, especially A10 record is not an apples to apples comparison of how good the teams are, only how good they are compared to that seasons A10. In this case the weakest A10 in history or at least the last 30 years.
Very true RIFan. That 2012-2013 played conference foes of #16 St Louis, # 25 VCU as well as Butler, Temple and Xavier. But hey, we have Loyola now!!!!

Edit: I also just looked it up and that year the A10 had 5 teams in the NCAAT. SLU, VCU, LaSalle, Butler and Temple.

Not much to compare.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I expected our record to be better than Dan's in 2012-13.
Actually, I like almost everyone else here thought we would have more wins so far.
But we didn't plan on Bray's early funk, Bilau's injuries, and Foumena redshirting.
The backcourt has come together well, but our frontcourt is a work in progress.

The following year Dan added EC and Martin to our roster, who both helped propel us to the NCAAT.
Them along with JT the following year were huge recruits including transfer Iverson.

The question is do we have any of these young players in the fold that will breakout and will Archie be able to bring in these impact type players to match Dan's success.

I have confidence he will, but it is going to take a little time.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Also, just for history sake, that was the year rat face went off on the A10 for getting 5 teams into the tournament. Since then, the NCAA has done everything in their power to crush the A10.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Also, just for history sake, that was the year rat face went off on the A10 for getting 5 teams into the tournament. Since then, the NCAA has done everything in their power to crush the A10.
Actually the following season 2013-2014, I think the A10 had 6 teams in the NCAAT.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Things appear to be trending up! Though the A10 of 2023 is not the same A10 our 2012 team had to face…so using record, especially A10 record is not an apples to apples comparison of how good the teams are, only how good they are compared to that seasons A10. In this case the weakest A10 in history or at least the last 30 years.
Very true RIFan. That 2012-2013 played conference foes of #16 St Louis, # 25 VCU as well as Butler, Temple and Xavier. But hey, we have Loyola now!!!!

Edit: I also just looked it up and that year the A10 had 5 teams in the NCAAT. SLU, VCU, LaSalle, Butler and Temple.

Not much to compare.
The post edit above reminds me of just how much I dislike the P6…

How dare a non-P6 conf get 5 bids! Can’t have that happening! Cut their balls off! No more than 2 is the goal!

Bunch of frickin’ P6 wus’.

Excuse the outburst. Carry on.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Also, just for history sake, that was the year rat face went off on the A10 for getting 5 teams into the tournament. Since then, the NCAA has done everything in their power to crush the A10.
Actually the following season 2013-2014, I think the A10 had 6 teams in the NCAAT.

Note to self: add to my Suck It Bucket List…I hope the P6 get bitch slapped for collusion by a powerful Congressman or Senator that went to a non-P6 school.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just had to go back to 2012-2013 to see who we played OOC. Since there is a compare against that year and this year. Here are the teams we played out of conference. Remember, this was a year the A10 got 5 teams in the NCAAT:

Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Seton Hall
Auburn
Providence
SMU
St Mary's

I think the conclusion is there is no comparison between Dan's first year and Archie's first year. This year we have played buttercup city and lost. Dan had a top 50 schedule and lost. Same outcome, completely different schedule.

I expect a MUCH better schedule next year against top teams OOC.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

That Hurley team, based on advanced metrics had the 120th hardest OOC schedule that year.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230130_201916_Chrome.jpg
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I just had to go back to 2012-2013 to see who we played OOC. Since there is a compare against that year and this year. Here are the teams we played out of conference. Remember, this was a year the A10 got 5 teams in the NCAAT:

Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Seton Hall
Auburn
Providence
SMU
St Mary's

I think the conclusion is there is no comparison between Dan's first year and Archie's first year. This year we have played buttercup city and lost. Dan had a top 50 schedule and lost. Same outcome, completely different schedule.

Our OOC doesn’t have nearly the depth that one had…but KState and PC are both Top 15ish teams. It just falls off a cliff after that.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago That Hurley team, based on advanced metrics had the 120th hardest OOC schedule that year.
How hard is this years schedule?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago That Hurley team, based on advanced metrics had the 120th hardest OOC schedule that year.
How hard is this years schedule?
Currently sitting at 181 by KenPom. Kansas State (25) and Providence (30) would be the top two. Dayton is next at 58, Tulane 87, and after that, it's a bunch of teams in the 100s and 200s. La Salle (261) and Stony Brook (323) would be the two worst, probably.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ish has surprised many. If you asked me after last year, I'd have said he could portal, and I'd not be plussed.
I don't know him, but think he definitely sticks here....would not worry about him portaling at all....

And, maybe almost the same...if Bassy improves from this year to next year like Ish did from last year to this year.....
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

When I was contemplating leading scorer for the contest, I figured Ish for about a 12 point average (just above where I figured Malik and Carey would be at around 9-10). I went with Bray because I thought he would exceed Ish by a point or two, at least.

So much for that prediction. That said, I am pleasantly surprised at how well Ish has played this season. Very happy for the young man considering what he has been through with his dad and his struggles last season.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ish is pretty much exceeding all expectations nobody picked him @ 16 ppg
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks for the reminder, Reef. I haven’t gone back through the contest thread to check and my memory tends to fade. I was starting to think otherwise.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Point well taken. KenPom says we're #213 in the country as of right now, Hurley's first year we were #193 in the country at the end of the year
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Ish's improvement is an immediate credit to Arch. Both in player development and offensive strategy. It's night and day from the player we saw last year.
If he finishes at or near the level he has played at to this point he is a likely all conf selection (2nd or 3rd team). We'd help his cause greatly by winning a bunch more games.
What is so impressive about Ish’s play is the number of “winning plays” he makes. Even more impressive than his stats.

I am trying to think of a guard that I’ve seen in A10:play that is better than Ish??????

Not saying he will be first team because of our record, but, maybe that is just where he belongs.
1 x
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

Unread post by BCRhody03 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I just had to go back to 2012-2013 to see who we played OOC. Since there is a compare against that year and this year. Here are the teams we played out of conference. Remember, this was a year the A10 got 5 teams in the NCAAT:

Virginia Tech
Ohio State
Seton Hall
Auburn
Providence
SMU
St Mary's

That Ohio State game at Mohegan Sun was a great night. They hung with that loaded roster for 35+ minutes. I'll never forget the loud ""YOU CANT COVER" chant as the game was ending (URI was 20+ underdog) and getting to explain what that meant to my then 7 year old son.

We are starting to see glimpses of real improvement from this team and with how awful the conference is so far, it's possible this guard led team could get hot next month and make some new memories for this current chapter of Ram history.

Will need to win a road game first though haha. Let's get a W tonight in Philly and build off that!!
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’m sitting here watching the UConn versus Marquette game, and I just realized that I’ve learned more about basketball listening to Archie Miller in the last 10 months then I did listening to Dave Cox in four years.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I’m sitting here watching the UConn versus Marquette game, and I just realized that I’ve learned more about basketball listening to Archie Miller in the last 10 months then I did listening to Dave Cox in four years.
I guess Thorr didn't recognize this weakness.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I’m sitting here watching the UConn versus Marquette game, and I just realized that I’ve learned more about basketball listening to Archie Miller in the last 10 months then I did listening to Dave Cox in four years.
I guess Thorr didn't recognize this weakness.
And didn't recognize it when Cox was an assistant coach for Hurley. That was the trial period in which under Hurley when the Cox weaknesses should have been evident. Too afraid we would lose a recruiting class or players in the roster - which we ended up losing anyway.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

What are the odds or the feeling here that the 5 players that start next season in Nov. are all currently on our roster?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago What are the odds or the feeling here that the 5 players that start next season in Nov. are all currently on our roster?
All five? I'd say there's a chance that holdovers start out atop the depth chart, depending on who we bring in, but I'd expect at least one grad / older transfer taking a spot, probably at the 4 or 5. Right now, we only have Dubsky and Estevez signed IIRC, and while I think they're promising they would probably need to displace Freeman, Leggett or Weston, which probably isn't going to be a Game One thing unless they're awesome from the jump.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I would hope not. The turnover of the current roster has got to have some new player(s)who’s impact needs to be an upgrade over current roster. If not some fans will see a next year starting five with all five being holdovers and not a positive. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938