Dan Yorke Has To Go

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Dan Yorke Has To Go

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 year ago There was an “Ishmaellllllll Leggggggggggggggggetttttt” call that lasted 8 seconds into the next possession after the crowd had stopped cheering. Brutal.
This...again at the Mason game. I don't care if they keep the guy or not, the amount he annoys is in direct disproportion to the success of the team. What's odd is that there's not one single person defending...saying, "he's just doing his job/what's expected" or, "hey, that's what I wanna hear whilst I'm a-hooping it up"... no one, not a single one....hmmm...
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Dan hates being ignore as we have been doing lately. He's been instructed to distract fans from what is happening on the court. Love him or hate him, just don't ignore him.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Dan hates being ignore as we have been doing lately. He's been instructed to distract fans from what is happening on the court. Love him or hate him, just don't ignore him.
Another classic.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago He is getting worse not better. I sit right behind him and yell when he mispronounces names or when he subs in the wrong player. It’s unbearable
Oh my goodness. Like this season isn't painful enough you have to sit right behind him! You should get next season's tickets for free AND better seats!!
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Let’s improve the team first before the PA guy.

Really couldn’t care less at this point.
If we having anything that is bush league it will effect recruiting, Be first class in everything we do
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Kinda of related- I think Paige Messier is great!
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I heard of heckling the visiting team, the visiting coach but never the home PA announcer. :lol:

Wish I could be there to see that.

Great stuff, LTR! Your post gave me a good belly laugh trying to picture you sitting behind him and yelling corrections at him. Let him have it! :lol:
I've been doing it as well...for years. I'm a bit further away, so a couple of sections tend to hear it, but I wasn't at the last game. Saving my voice for the Dayton massacre...and by massacre I mean Rhody's. York's announcing will just be the dagger in the back. Et tu brute?
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Kinda of related- I think Paige Messier is great!
Agree
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Let’s improve the team first before the PA guy.

Really couldn’t care less at this point.
If we having anything that is bush league it will effect recruiting, Be first class in everything we do
You honestly think a recruit wouldn’t come here because of Dan freakin Yorke?

He’d be the dealbreaker? The PA guy?

Surely you can’t be serious.
5 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

The Dude wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I heard of heckling the visiting team, the visiting coach but never the home PA announcer. :lol:

Wish I could be there to see that.

Great stuff, LTR! Your post gave me a good belly laugh trying to picture you sitting behind him and yelling corrections at him. Let him have it! :lol:
I've been doing it as well...for years. I'm a bit further away, so a couple of sections tend to hear it, but I wasn't at the last game. Saving my voice for the Dayton massacre...and by massacre I mean Rhody's. York's announcing will just be the dagger in the back. Et tu brute?
It’s his alma mater so I expect he will be really putting it on for the Flyers!
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Well he was particularly bad for URI vs. Dayton...AGAIN! I yelled down to Thor and put my brief 2 cents in on replacing him. I'm not expecting anything at all to happen, but one can dream. Pretty sure he has multiple personality disorder. He changed his voice tone 3 times while announcing a free throw. *SIGH*
On a positive note, Rhody won the game and dulled the pain a bit.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

He is too loud and wordy.
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

He is absolutely embarrassing today. He is detracting from the excitement of this little comeback.
6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Damn Yorke is trying to be the show. What an ass.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

He just needs to calm down. When he speaks at a respectable level, he’s not as bad.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

He tries to shout over the crowd. Is he a hype guy? Or just a call guy? Either way, when the crowd is going nuts, he needs to shut the F up. WE all know Ish made the basket Dan. Does anyone know the sound guy at the Ryan Center? Just tell them to turn his mike down a notch or twelve.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Give me some history on this guy.

He's new right?

I haven't been to a game since 2019 and I don't remember it being over the top
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

He uses 6 words when 2 will do. It’s actually distracting.

I used to think this was a champagne problem or overreacting, but this dude is terrible.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I still have a headache.
2 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Give me some history on this guy.

He's new right?

I haven't been to a game since 2019 and I don't remember it being over the top
I’d rather have someone over the top instead of the alternative. I’ve never been annoyed by him honestly.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Usually I can tune him out but today he seem louder then I have ever heard him before ...Maybe because the crowd was so loud he was trying to shout over them, I much rather hear the crowd yelling then his voice
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just turn his damn mike down. Problem solved. When there are 5k people screaming and we can still hear him, it needs to be turned down.
5 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

The good PA guys, they do a great job of informing and get the crowd pumped at the right times, but you don't notice them like you do Yorke, because he is so over the top. Trying to impress his buddy McKee today who was in attendance?

Cringeworthy!
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

One thing I noticed is after we hit a 3 point shot, he goes way over the top. Then there are loud cheers. Yorke probably thinks they are cheering him, but they are actually cheering the t-shirts being thrown into the crowd.
2 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

I came onto the board to complain about Dan Yorke and sure enough I see that there’s a long thread about him. This was the first game I’ve attended this year and I swear he’s gotten worse. I got a headache listening to him. They need to bring back Mike Mancuso.
6 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

The ultimate URI Athletics fundraising promotion would be if they held a raffle where the winner would have a mute button for Dan Yorke at the next home game.
8 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Nice listed turnout today for the crowd. Espn lists 82% full With 6530 posted. Crowd was loud and engaged last several minutes. Always fun in an energetic Ryan center
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow 6530 posted that’s going to get the average up !!
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago He is absolutely embarrassing today. He is detracting from the excitement of this little comeback.
I actually thought he was a little more laid back in the first half... thought maybe he got the message.

Then the second half happened, and...no. No he did not get the message.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago The good PA guys, they do a great job of informing and get the crowd pumped at the right times, but you don't notice them like you do Yorke, because he is so over the top. Trying to impress his buddy McKee today who was in attendance?

Cringeworthy!
Yepper, I think the really sad part about it is that he really thinks he played a role in the comeback. And when he tees it up the the Guv, they probably will joke about it? Thorr, please do something for next year.
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Bottom line is he has no feel for the game. There's times to be over the top and there's times to not be.He has no idea what the difference is.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago Bottom line is he has no feel for the game. There's times to be over the top and there's times to not be.He has no idea what the difference is.
Because he thinks he IS part of the show, or trying way to hard to be part of the show.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I was at the game and enjoyed it immensely except for this tone-deaf attention whore. Then I watched the game I recorded at home and he was even worse. An absolute embarrassment who tries to make himself the most important part of the game.
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Exactly!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

scine20 wrote: 1 year ago I came onto the board to complain about Dan Yorke and sure enough I see that there’s a long thread about him. This was the first game I’ve attended this year and I swear he’s gotten worse. I got a headache listening to him. They need to bring back Mike Mancuso.
Welcome!
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago Excellent time today even though Dan Yorke is still awful as PA announcer. I normally do not like to publicly call someone out for being bad but he actually does his other job well.
Yes. It’s unacceptable so many are finding Yorke to be taking away from what was otherwise a great game experience.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I don't think he realizes that it's ok, actually waaay better, if the crowd is louder than he is. He seems to treat it like a competition.... "Who can be the loudest..5k cheering fans, or, my screaming verbal diarrhea?!?"
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I emailed Thorr about this. Doubt I will get much, if any response. Stay tuned……
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

His most egregious call was when Ish hit a layup to put us down 64-62. He was still vocalizing it past when the other team advanced the ball to half court and called a timeout. Give it a rest dude let the game and the fans be the entertainment.
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Yorke is just talking like the a-hole up-state fans after a win. He would be shunned in Lawrence KA for this. There is class and no-class.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I emailed Thorr about this. Doubt I will get much, if any response. Stay tuned……

Thank you !

Kudos to you
1 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

It’s definitely over the top, but my friend and I got a kick out of his announcements. Granted we are not at every game, so it’s still a bit of a novelty for us at least. Overall the sound levels in the RC, and I’m not talking about crowd noise which is a thing onto itself, is incredibly loud. Especially, if you are sitting midcourt in the 300 level. Those speakers are like 20-30 feet away. We had a hard time talking during timeouts because the music was deafening. Wow I really starting to sound my age!!!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago His most egregious call was when Ish hit a layup to put us down 64-62. He was still vocalizing it past when the other team advanced the ball to half court and called a timeout. Give it a rest dude let the game and the fans be the entertainment.
There was a moment in the Dayton game when URI hit a three and the Flyers called an immediate timeout. CBS Sports Network replayed the three, announced the score, then threw it to commercial. As it went to break Yorke was still going. I was half expecting to still hear him finishing the call when they came back from commercial.
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I swear yesterday he decided to thumb his nose at this board and took it to a whole new level of ridiculousness.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

If it is true, according to ‘72, that “his act is being orchestrated from above…..”then what we hear is what we are going to get more. As I said yesterday, an opposing coach someday will walk a few steps down the table and tell Dan, shut the hell up……especially if his long calls after a made Thody hoop prevent a coach to instruct his offense. I would hate to think Yorke’s act is part of the home court advantage. Yorke could probably care less about this board.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Easy solution. JV is 35. Can't do his present job forever. He should begin grooming someone now and then transition into the PA role. The other option is take the young man that does women"s games and have him replace Dapper Dan. Either option is better than what we have now.
3 x
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago
scine20 wrote: 1 year ago I came onto the board to complain about Dan Yorke and sure enough I see that there’s a long thread about him. This was the first game I’ve attended this year and I swear he’s gotten worse. I got a headache listening to him. They need to bring back Mike Mancuso.
Welcome!
Thanks, although I’ve been here since the Baron days.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Bottom line is the noises that came out of the PA yesterday were bush league. Parlange was right there and witnessed it all.

I seriously doubt that’s what we really want. Gosh I hope not.

I remain confident that it will be fixed.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago Easy solution. JV is 35. Can't do his present job forever. He should begin grooming someone now and then transition into the PA role. The other option is take the young man that does women"s games and have him replace Dapper Dan. Either option is better than what we have now.
Thanks for the kind words Cameron! This is my 15th season as as I started my senior year at Rhody (which is still hard to believe) so I’m actually 36 (almost 37)!

They introduced a formal Student Ruckus leadership group this season which has allowed me begin acting less as their “unofficial” leader, allowing them taking over chants & organization as that’s one aspect of the gig that I am 100% too old for and is not something I have the energy for any longer.

The current plan is for next year to be my last (for real this time) and the Ruckus leaders are likely to take over my duties as a group instead of trying to have 1 person replace me. Although that could always change.

I currently alternate PA duties with Joe Berardi for Men’s/Women’s Soccer & Women’s Basketball - which I really enjoy and plan to continue doing after I “retire” as hypeman.

I like & respect Dan immensely both personally & professionally but should he ever stop doing PA any time in the future, I would gladly throw my hat in the ring.
5 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Just turn his damn mike down. Problem solved. When there are 5k people screaming and we can still hear him, it needs to be turned down.
Almost right, turn his damn Mike off!
1 x