1/28 | La Salle | 2:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/28 | La Salle | 2:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I will take on incoming hits. For me Bray is too fragile, hot/cold, etc. He has to find, between his ears, that leveling mechanism that is a total team contributed w/o the peaks and valleys.
I would agree with you, except...Kid. Bounces. Back. If he was fragile, he'd be done by now. He gets better, I think, every minute he's here...
5 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

I've said this many times. In my freshman year in the Fall of '74, we started out 0-14. I didn't care. I never missed a game. Granted, I'm a huge basketball fan, but those student sections at Keaney were always full.
A lot has changed in the last 50 years lol. Kids have more entertainment options.

Can now also watch the game from their phone instead of a 20 minute drive to campus
How about the ones who can just roll out of bed and roll down the hill.
do they land on a "7"?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I will take on incoming hits. For me Bray is too fragile, hot/cold, etc. He has to find, between his ears, that leveling mechanism that is a total team contributed w/o the peaks and valleys.
I would agree with you, except...Kid. Bounces. Back. If he was fragile, he'd be done by now. He gets better, I think, every minute he's here...
Exactly. He's a very emotional kid. He just has to learn how to deal with those emotions better. And I think he's already on the right track doing this.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I've said this many times. In my freshman year in the Fall of '74, we started out 0-14. I didn't care. I never missed a game. Granted, I'm a huge basketball fan, but those student sections at Keaney were always full.
A lot has changed in the last 50 years lol. Kids have more entertainment options.

Can now also watch the game from their phone instead of a 20 minute drive to campus
If they were ever showing up, that probably stopped now that you’re 7-13
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago This is the 3rd straight year with a losing record. Hard to get students to care or be attached to a program that has sucked while they’ve been at URI.

Kids go to games if their team is good, or if it’s a big game. 7-13 URI vs 8-12 La Salle isn’t going to pack any arenas
As painful as it is for us die-hards, this is very true. More than ever teens/college kids these days are "what have you done for me lately"/fairweather fans for the most part. My own kids are like this and they have been raised in and around sports. Daughter still plays D3 college hoops and she wouldn't sit down to watch the URI game most likely, even though they are fans.
You nailed it. Sports fandom is very different for this generation.

And then it’s not even so much what have you done for me lately, but also what have you done for me ever? If you’re a junior at URI you watched 2 crappy teams. Your schools team has never been interesting
But then you miss life. You miss when 5k+ fans collectively revel in a win. Hate to be them. Because the Ryan Center was alive tonight and that's what I love being a part of. I missed the Dayton game because of the weather forecast. I'm still pissed off about it. Because that is something I don't want to miss.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

You're? Obviously you never went to URI.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

As painful as it is for us die-hards, this is very true. More than ever teens/college kids these days are "what have you done for me lately"/fairweather fans for the most part. My own kids are like this and they have been raised in and around sports. Daughter still plays D3 college hoops and she wouldn't sit down to watch the URI game most likely, even though they are fans.

And then it’s not even so much what have you done for me lately, but also what have you done for me ever? If you’re a junior at URI you watched 2 crappy teams. Your schools team has never been interesting
But then you miss life. You miss when 5k+ fans collectively revel in a win. Hate to be them. Because the Ryan Center was alive tonight and that's what I love being a part of. I missed the Dayton game because of the weather forecast. I'm still pissed off about it. Because that is something I don't want to miss.
Don’t get me wrong, I agree. I have great memories inside the Ryan center as a student.

Just trying to connect the dots for everyone on the board that might be a bit older. Times have changed and programs have to adapt accordingly
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I'm gonna be the old guy, and I'm not even THAT old...

Most kids today have been spoiled (ruined?) by instant access to highlights on social media. My own kids are perfect examples (late teen/early 20s). They will certainly attend a game if we present tickets. But other than that, when I say to my kids "nice win for Rhody today" or whatever, they agree and say they saw the highlights on Insta.

Kids today are missing the collective experience of physically attending a sporting event, and rooting with the other fans in real time as the game excitement ebbs and flows. It's a shame. And it's due to instant gratification online.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

You're? Obviously you never went to URI.
I say you’re cause I’m not on the team lol.

I was fortunate enough to be at URI for the Hurley years and one of the NCAA runs. I’m a massive sports fan in general, but the success URI had while I was in school definitely contributed to my level of passion for the program. Human nature
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The blueram, were you coming from Amagansett or Narragansett for the Dayton game? :roll:
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Just a few thoughts RE: students…

-Losing those first few games at home was an absolute killer as more often than not the biggest percentage of the Ruckus each season is Freshmen who live on campus. We had 1500+ students for those first couple games & they left disappointed every time. Hard to bounce back from that with these finicky young kids with endless options for entertainment.

-Today was the first sunny day in what felt like 2 months and temps were in the upper 40’s, that’s a recipe for likely a TON of Darties (Day Partys) down the line.

So yes, a super disappointing student turnout today which makes my job much tougher to do but all things considered, our crowd was absolutely clutch down the stretch!
10 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What about the promotions that used to get kids to games....t-shirts, Dunkin gift cards, etc., or the best one, free burgers outside of the RC? Why isn't that being tried?
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

EZBuckets wrote: 1 year ago Just a few thoughts RE: students…

-Losing those first few games at home was an absolute killer as more often than not the biggest percentage of the Ruckus each season is Freshmen who live on campus. We had 1500+ students for those first couple games & they left disappointed every time. Hard to bounce back from that with these finicky young kids with endless options for entertainment.

-Today was the first sunny day in what felt like 2 months and temps were in the upper 40’s, that’s a recipe for likely a TON of Darties (Day Partys) down the line.

So yes, a super disappointing student turnout today which makes my job much tougher to do but all things considered, our crowd was absolutely clutch down the stretch!
Hoping URI can win at least 2 of the next 3 and come back to a sold out Ryan center for the game vs VCU 🤞 (with a packed student section as well 😉). It’s up to the university and Ruckus to also market the game as much as they can. It could be a BIG one!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Unless I had a massive assignment due Monday, there’s nothing else to do at 2pm on a Saturday. Weird that there weren’t more students. *At least for those on campus.
Last edited by Rhodymob05 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
GO RAMS
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

EZBuckets wrote: 1 year ago WHAT. A. GAME!

Despite the severe lack of students, we had an excellent crowd & the Ryan Center was absolutely ELECTRIC once we started mounting our comeback down the stretch.

My voice is absolutely cooked (I sound like Kathleen Turner right now) but it was 100% worth it.

These last two games were so damn fun and needless to say I’m very excited for the rest of this season & beyond. The future is bright!
EZ, the running joke in our section is the dice are loaded. Not one person has landed a 7 all season, lol.
I can confirm…The dice are heavy - but aren’t loaded!

Not sure if you missed a game or two but we have had some contestants land on some 7’s. One kid got 2 7’s on their first 2 rolls a few game ago. I was jockeying for Marketing to add some low numbers on a few sides of each die and if it adds to 7 they also win the $$ but it got shot down.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

……nothin like playing with the numbers in Rode Island…..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Exactly. He's a very emotional kid. He just has to learn how to deal with those emotions better. And I think he's already on the right track doing this.
Totally agree. On the Fast track.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Donrxer79 wrote: 1 year ago Students as a whole should be ashamed of themselves. Just my take on an otherwise great afternoon.
I'd like to know the actual number of students that attended. I noticed a bunch filled in empty spots in our section instead of sitting in the worst seats in the house
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Donrxer79 wrote: 1 year ago Students as a whole should be ashamed of themselves. Just my take on an otherwise great afternoon.
I'd like to know the actual number of students that attended. I noticed a bunch filled in empty spots in our section instead of sitting in the worst seats in the house
It was weird. There were a bunch of them in 301(I'm guessing they were students), even though the 200 and 100 student sections weren't close to being full.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It was weird. There were a bunch of them in 301(I'm guessing they were students), even though the 200 and 100 student sections weren't close to being full.
wait....the 200 and 100 student s4ections were open?
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Archie finally saying fuck it with trying to get a D1 effort out of any of our bigs
Samb was terrible today…
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Hoping URI can win at least 2 of the next 3 and come back to a sold out Ryan center for the game vs VCU 🤞 (with a packed student section as well 😉). It’s up to the university and Ruckus to also market the game as much as they can. It could be a BIG one!
Wishful thinking, hope you are right.
Considering we have yet to win a true road game, that will be a difficult task.
Two of those games will be against St. Joe's and GM who both play each other tomorrow at noon on USA.
I don't see us winning at SLU, the top team in the A10.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Students swiped our seats upstairs. No worries went downstairs and swiped theirs.

Lots of folks seem to think upstairs is general admission.
Last edited by hrstrat57 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The Ruckus should be disbarred and reassembled. What an embarrassment to have a pretty full arena and empty student section. How can there not be 100-200 die hard hoops fans at a school of thousands.

As far as the game goes not much more to say that hasn’t been said. I was pleading for Bray to be put back in but that’s why Archie is paid the big bucks. Rode the unit that was defending. A month ago this team couldn’t have come back from double digits against Lasalle High School. Character win.
This is what happens when you put students in the worst seats and have someone in their mid 30s be the student section leader. We all would have shit on this when we were students if this situation was in place for us
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The Ruckus should be disbarred and reassembled. What an embarrassment to have a pretty full arena and empty student section. How can there not be 100-200 die hard hoops fans at a school of thousands.

As far as the game goes not much more to say that hasn’t been said. I was pleading for Bray to be put back in but that’s why Archie is paid the big bucks. Rode the unit that was defending. A month ago this team couldn’t have come back from double digits against Lasalle High School. Character win.
Well said bigapple. As a student that graduated last year I’m embarrassed that we can’t at least fill up the first 2 tiers of the student section. I watch a lot of college basketball and plenty of other A10 teams have no issue doing that, so idk.
What happened to the bit when the other team is being announced pre-game and the students have their backs turned reading newspapers, then when a player is announced, they turn, point and yell 'SUCKS'? None of that anymore. I love when the students are engaged. It adds so much to the atmosphere. I had a bunch of the Greeks in my section on Wednesday. Most of them weren't even watching the game and a lot of them left with about 8 minutes left in an exciting game. It's free entertainment, kids!
They didn't go to the game then leave with eight minutes to go before their Greek Week pairings were announced
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Wishful thinking, hope you are right.
Considering we have yet to win a true road game, that will be a difficult task.
Two of those games will be against St. Joe's and GM who both play each other tomorrow at noon on USA.
I don't see us winning at SLU, the top team in the A10.
I don’t see us beating SLU either.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

This is what happens when you put students in the worst seats and have someone in their mid 30s be the student section leader. We all would have shit on this when we were students if this situation was in place for us
Where would you put students? On the side?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Don't hope on it, plan on it. Win 2 of 3, will be a good crowd (plus...it's VCU) ...somehow grind out all 3...great crowd...
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Considering they're paying for those seats, yes
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Say they considered doing this. Wouldn’t it be hard to move the season tickets holders in 103-106? I’d love if it happened. Duke does it, Kansas State does it. Looks great on TV.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Our FT shooting needs to be better.
Just donate a copy of your instructional video and problem solved. I picture you to be the Tom Emanski of FT shooting.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Say they considered doing this. Wouldn’t it be hard to move the season tickets holders in 103-106? I’d love if it happened. Duke does it, Kansas State does it. Looks great on TV.
It wasn't hard to move them into those seats when they kicked the students out of them originally. They used to have season ticket holders go through a reseating process fairly frequently
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

OK fine move me or whomever else. Would that alone make a difference in attendance of students?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I had a blast in our section today.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago

OK fine move me or whomever else. Would that alone make a difference in attendance of students?
That alone? No, but it would be a good start to give them back the seats they're paying for
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Win and they will come.
6 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I mean, if I could sit courtside at a D1 basketball game as a student I would.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

but would stay home if you had to sit on the baseline?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Win and they will come.
Another post that shows why you need to be able to like something more than once...
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Win and they will come.
Another post that shows why you need to be able to like something more than once...
A tale as old as time...:)
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yeah let’s give them the prime seats so when the team isn’t good they can be empty. Pls don’t excuse the no show Ruckus bc they don’t have prime seats. If you don’t come to the games you should be tossed from the fan club.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

When I was in school and we played in Keaney, the students had the lower bowl and the alumni and other fans sat upstairs. It was great. We were right on the court.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

but would stay home if you had to sit on the baseline?
no.... It's not that bad...
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

When I was in school and we played in Keaney, the students had the lower bowl and the alumni and other fans sat upstairs. It was great. We were right on the court.
that sounds amazing
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Yeah let’s give them the prime seats so when the team isn’t good they can be empty. Pls don’t excuse the no show Ruckus bc they don’t have prime seats. If you don’t come to the games you should be tossed from the fan club.
Stop it, those prime seats are plenty empty now, and have been since fans came back from the pandemic, as well.

And we wouldn't be "giving" them anything. They're paying for a third of the Ryan Center and a condition of making those payments were those seats
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

that sounds amazing
It was. We all lined up for tickets the morning of every game. Great times.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Yeah let’s give them the prime seats so when the team isn’t good they can be empty. Pls don’t excuse the no show Ruckus bc they don’t have prime seats. If you don’t come to the games you should be tossed from the fan club.
Stop it, those prime seats are plenty empty now, and have been since fans came back from the pandemic, as well.

And we wouldn't be "giving" them anything. They're paying for a third of the Ryan Center and a condition of making those payments were those seats
They were all full today. Not by students. And what should we do about those seats for half of the season when students aren’t even around?
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

They were all full today. Not by students. And what should we do about those seats for half of the season when students aren’t even around?
I mean, what do other colleges do? I'm guessing open them up to everyone?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

I mean, what do other colleges do? I'm guessing open them up to everyone?
Literally what we already do for the student seats now
0 x