1/28 | La Salle | 2:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 1/28 | La Salle | 2:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by Blue Man »

IMAGINE NOT BEING A DISCIPLE OF THE CHURCH OF ARCHIE. HOW DUMB YOU MUST FEEL.

Culture win. Growth win. Grit win. Comeback win. Coaching win.

Another for the Archie book as this was a coaching win that trumps what happened against Dayton. Much to my (and I'm sure many fans) chagrin, Archie rode Bassy to a win. It makes no sense - the offense literally avoided giving him the ball 90% of the possession after he key'd the set, but it worked. He rode the hot lineup that took the game from a 14 point deficit to a phenomenal comeback.

This was a game we trailed basically for 38 minutes. They shot the lights out in the first half. We couldn't get anything going - but slowly, surely, they got it to 10 points by the under 12. 6 points at the U8, 3 points at the U4. Just a great coaching effort of trusting your guys and the lineup that works.

You can't say enough about Ish. I mean - he's quickly asserting himself as the EC Matthews type player this team. Absolute beast. Bucket getter. Clutch. Like a guy you can build a championship team around. Archie said it in the post game "At the under 8 I looked at Ish and I knew we were going to be OK." But you had that feeling down the stretch when the ball was in his hands - he was going to score. A10 player of the week is what should happen, but this is the same conference that picked Yuta Wantanabe over Stan Robinson for DPOY so the can keep their awards.

Malik Martin had his best game this season. He's so offensively challenged but in games like this - his rebounding and defense won us the game. He doesn't get caught in the air or out of position. He walls guys off and forces them to take off balance looks. He's our best rebounder by far and he had some CLUTCH boards at the end to seal it.

All in all, anyone who's cast a shadow of doubt about Archie is dumb. No, a win against La Salle doesn't mean "mission accomplished" but it's another notch in the "the system is working, trust in Archie" column that you should be tracking. This is a team and program that is going to be good and very good in the coming years, these are the flashes you want to see during a rebuild to know you're on the right track.

Oh yeah...WAHHHHH WAHHHH WE WON'T WIN 3 MORE GAMES IN CONFERENCE WAHHHHH - SUCK ONE AND FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO BITCH ABOUT. THIS IS FUN.
18 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Anyone else confused about Samb? He hasn’t looked good in a few games now. Useless on offense. I thought he was better earlier in the season.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Anyone have the postgame on tape? This app thing is making my drive home after a game less than stellar.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I just noticed we ended up with better shooting percentage even after the Explorers shot out of their minds for 30 minutes. Amazing!
C342A9E8-4600-4CC7-9D09-E7883DB8455E.jpeg
4 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago IMAGINE NOT BEING A DISCIPLE OF THE CHURCH OF ARCHIE. HOW DUMB YOU MUST FEEL.

Another for the Archie book as this was a coaching win that trumps what happened against Dayton. Much to my (and I'm sure many fans) chagrin, Archie rode Bassy to a win. It makes no sense - the offense literally avoided giving him the ball 90% of the possession after he key'd the set, but it worked. He rode the hot lineup that took the game from a 14 point deficit to a phenomenal comeback.

This was a game we trailed basically for 38 minutes. They shot the lights out in the first half. We couldn't get anything going - but slowly, surely, they got it to 10 points by the under 12. 6 points at the U8, 3 points at the U4. Just a great coaching effort of trusting your guys and the lineup that works.

You can't say enough about Ish. I mean - he's quickly asserting himself as the EC Matthews type player this team. Absolute beast. Bucket getter. Clutch. Like a guy you can build a championship team around. Archie said it in the post game "At the under 8 I looked at Ish and I knew we were going to be OK." But you had that feeling down the stretch when the ball was in his hands - he was going to score. A10 player of the week is what should happen, but this is the same conference that picked Yuta Wantanabe over Stan Robinson for DPOY so the can keep their awards.

Malik Martin had his best game this season. He's so offensively challenged but in games like this - his rebounding and defense won us the game. He doesn't get caught in the air or out of position. He walls guys off and forces them to take off balance looks. He's our best rebounder by far and he had some CLUTCH boards at the end to seal it.

All in all, anyone who's cast a shadow of doubt about Archie is dumb. No, a win against La Salle doesn't mean "mission accomplished" but it's another notch in the "the system is working, trust in Archie" column that you should be tracking. This is a team and program that is going to be good and very good in the coming years, these are the flashes you want to see during a rebuild to know you're on the right track.

Oh yeah...WAHHHHH WAHHHH WE WON'T WIN 3 MORE GAMES IN CONFERENCE WAHHHHH - SUCK ONE AND FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO BITCH ABOUT. THIS IS FUN.
Great crowd, great comeback!!!
Love the 5-guard lineup.
What a fun afternoon and awesome finish to the best week of the year…
Smells like a winning streak.
8 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I'll read this thread when I get home. Nice cold beer at shaidzon. Now heading closer to home in northern RI for another cold one and dinner to celebrate a victory that certainly didn't seem possible for 32 minutes of the game. My post was going to be boooo, putrid, but fortunately we have a coach that had the balls to go small and it worked to perfection.
Also, Ish proved he needs to be in the running for first team all conference. I was begging for the ball to be in his hands every possession the last 8 minutes.
Malik missed free throws ignored tremendous lunch pail effort.
Thomas big offensive put back
Rhody 1980 and 1982 love to win no matter how it's accomplished.
6 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Can we talk about Archie’s energy today on the side?!?! He was FIRED UP!!! Loved to see it.
11 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Wouldn’t mind seeing them mess around with more small ball. Give Rory and Lou some run at the “5” and space the shit out of the floor.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Can we talk about Archie’s energy today on the side?!?! He was FIRED UP!!! Loved to see it.
Ha! Multiple times my wife said to me, "Look at Archie!". Dude was on the floor...not like Hurls, who was always 'on the court'...Arch was literally ON THE FLOOR....like on all 4s...to layng right down. At one point, because of where we sit, we could see him, lying on the floor, and Dunphy standing in the background .. I laughed and told my wife I didn't think we were going to see the suited up Dunphy do that
7 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Always nice to get a win. One thing we need to work on a lot in practice....attacking a full court press....having trouble getting the ball in bounds, throwing it into the corner where you know you will get trapped immediately, throwing it out of bounds. I'm surprised teams don't use it a lot more against us. We're improving in so many areas. This is one area that still needs a lot of work.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Jalen Carey had some characteristic mishaps but played his best game ever as a Ram. Really impressive performance! Aggressive on offense and intense on defense.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Just got back to MA from the game, great come from behind win! Was great to have reason to cheer and scream and go home happy! Yes, Archie was into it today! Let’s keep rolling!
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I kept saying we ain’t coming back. We would dribble a ball off our feet, pass to no one, and put them on the foul line. Very improbable but entertaining comeback. Great crowd at the game.
4 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

6 x
Common sense is not common.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Like seeing Penders still following URI, very cool!
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Blowing 14 point leads was our specialty last year
5 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Excellent time today even though Dan Yorke is still awful as PA announcer. I normally do not like to publicly call someone out for being bad but he actually does his other job well.
2 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

WHAT. A. GAME!

Despite the severe lack of students, we had an excellent crowd & the Ryan Center was absolutely ELECTRIC once we started mounting our comeback down the stretch.

My voice is absolutely cooked (I sound like Kathleen Turner right now) but it was 100% worth it.

These last two games were so damn fun and needless to say I’m very excited for the rest of this season & beyond. The future is bright!
13 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

Students as a whole should be ashamed of themselves. Just my take on an otherwise great afternoon.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets wrote: 1 year ago WHAT. A. GAME!

Despite the severe lack of students, we had an excellent crowd & the Ryan Center was absolutely ELECTRIC once we started mounting our comeback down the stretch.

My voice is absolutely cooked (I sound like Kathleen Turner right now) but it was 100% worth it.

These last two games were so damn fun and needless to say I’m very excited for the rest of this season & beyond. The future is bright!
I laughed my ass of when you were trying to clear your voice for the Propane Minute of Mayhem. Absolutely classic.
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

EZBuckets wrote: 1 year ago My voice is absolutely cooked (I sound like Kathleen Turner right now) but it was 100% worth it.
If Newport Lights had a voice, LOL! Nice work out there today, you're a real asset to the program!
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I was surprised at the student turnout tbh. 2:00 PM on a Saturday isn't THAT early, and they just got a big win Wednesday. I feel like this entire season the students have been very disengaged (except for the PC game). Sitting on their phones, not chanting. Even last year the team sucked but people showed up and brought the energy until they started losing games in conference play. I get that this team had a rough start, but a packed student section is so important for that home advantage. Props to the rest of the crowd, which was absolutely rocking today.
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Donrxer79 wrote: 1 year ago Students as a whole should be ashamed of themselves. Just my take on an otherwise great afternoon.
Seriously though. That was an abysmal turnout. Idc how bad their record is, they can easily turn it around and make a run in the A10 tournament in March. It's weird seeing them siting down not participating in chants. Name another school that has a student section that doesn't stand up.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago IMAGINE NOT BEING A DISCIPLE OF THE CHURCH OF ARCHIE. HOW DUMB YOU MUST FEEL.

Well said BLUE well said !!
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Jalen Carey had some characteristic mishaps but played his best game ever as a Ram. Really impressive performance! Aggressive on offense and intense on defense.
Not sure if it was his best game ever...maybe it was, I'm just really happy for they guy and the team.
I was psyched the moment I heard he was coming here, and at times...at times...he looks like the most professionally skilled player out there. He can do some specific things in ways that look closer to pro than anyone else. Not saying he "looks like a pro", but...don't know how else to say it. Weird part of it is...that doesn't mean he's necessarily the 'best player' out there... Am sure someone else can say it better.

If the dude could play another year here...with Arch...sky's the limit. jmho
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The Ruckus should be disbarred and reassembled. What an embarrassment to have a pretty full arena and empty student section. How can there not be 100-200 die hard hoops fans at a school of thousands.

As far as the game goes not much more to say that hasn’t been said. I was pleading for Bray to be put back in but that’s why Archie is paid the big bucks. Rode the unit that was defending. A month ago this team couldn’t have come back from double digits against Lasalle High School. Character win.
8 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago
It's a short timeframe, but, blow this up and slo mo this, or better yet, frame by frame it, from the 04 to 06 second marks and watch the hands go up...kinda cool...or, maybe it's the Foggy Geezers...
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The Ruckus should be disbarred and reassembled. What an embarrassment to have a pretty full arena and empty student section. How can there not be 100-200 die hard hoops fans at a school of thousands.

As far as the game goes not much more to say that hasn’t been said. I was pleading for Bray to be put back in but that’s why Archie is paid the big bucks. Rode the unit that was defending. A month ago this team couldn’t have come back from double digits against Lasalle High School. Character win.
Well said bigapple. As a student that graduated last year I’m embarrassed that we can’t at least fill up the first 2 tiers of the student section. I watch a lot of college basketball and plenty of other A10 teams have no issue doing that, so idk.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
It's a short timeframe, but, blow this up and slo mo this, or better yet, frame by frame it, from the 04 to 06 second marks and watch the hands go up...kinda cool...or, maybe it's the Foggy Geezers...
What I got was it took Dan York almost 4 seconds to not even say Ish's first name.
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Bray was off today. The FTs were rough and at points I saw him just pacing around talking to himself. Then when Archie called a timeout after a made basket early in the second half he was livid. Gave Bray an absolute earful. He'll bounce back as he has many times this season.
6 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Good win. Good job coaching by Archie. He knew when to pull Freeman and Carey, and when to put them back in the game. This was a game that was winnable considering how close we came at La Salle. Because our bigs are so ineffective, our guards have to sag to help out inside making us vulnerable against good outside shooting teams. Our FT shooting needs to be better.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

EZ, the running joke in our section is the dice are loaded. Not one person has landed a 7 all season, lol.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The Ruckus should be disbarred and reassembled. What an embarrassment to have a pretty full arena and empty student section. How can there not be 100-200 die hard hoops fans at a school of thousands.

Well said bigapple. As a student that graduated last year I’m embarrassed that we can’t at least fill up the first 2 tiers of the student section. I watch a lot of college basketball and plenty of other A10 teams have no issue doing that, so idk.
What happened to the bit when the other team is being announced pre-game and the students have their backs turned reading newspapers, then when a player is announced, they turn, point and yell 'SUCKS'? None of that anymore. I love when the students are engaged. It adds so much to the atmosphere. I had a bunch of the Greeks in my section on Wednesday. Most of them weren't even watching the game and a lot of them left with about 8 minutes left in an exciting game. It's free entertainment, kids!
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

This is the 3rd straight year with a losing record. Hard to get students to care or be attached to a program that has sucked while they’ve been at URI.

Kids go to games if their team is good, or if it’s a big game. 7-13 URI vs 8-12 La Salle isn’t going to pack any arenas
8 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I will take on incoming hits. For me Bray is too fragile, hot/cold, etc. He has to find, between his ears, that leveling mechanism that is a total team contributed w/o the peaks and valleys.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

I laughed my ass of when you were trying to clear your voice for the Propane Minute of Mayhem. Absolutely classic.
Excellent job as usual by Buckets! Right before it started, I turned to our ticket guest, and said, "are you ready?" and he said, for what? I said for the Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem!" and watched the madness unfurl.

I agree with EZ....really good crowd considering no students. I think maybe more people in the 300s today than any game 'cept for one this year?

Somehow win 2 of these next three on the road... would mean a great crowd and win over VCU .....beat UMass, the Fordham bus trip gets put back on the sched....beat GW....Fordham bus trip adds another bus....10-6 in the conference....I mean, that could happen.

Y'know, I haven't read all the way thru, maybe ECR already posted this....if so, nm....
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago This is the 3rd straight year with a losing record. Hard to get students to care or be attached to a program that has sucked while they’ve been at URI.

Kids go to games if their team is good, or if it’s a big game. 7-13 URI vs 8-12 La Salle isn’t going to pack any arenas
I've said this many times. In my freshman year in the Fall of '74, we started out 0-14. I didn't care. I never missed a game. Granted, I'm a huge basketball fan, but those student sections at Keaney were always full.
6 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago This is the 3rd straight year with a losing record. Hard to get students to care or be attached to a program that has sucked while they’ve been at URI.

Then they are not real fans and don't really care about their school.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I was surprised at the student turnout tbh. 2:00 PM on a Saturday isn't THAT early, and they just got a big win Wednesday. I feel like this entire season the students have been very disengaged (except for the PC game). Sitting on their phones, not chanting. Even last year the team sucked but people showed up and brought the energy until they started losing games in conference play. I get that this team had a rough start, but a packed student section is so important for that home advantage. Props to the rest of the crowd, which was absolutely rocking today.
I was a little surprised, too, but...no worries about the students...when the team is good good...they'll be there. If they were above .500....many more would have been there, I think. Keep winning though, it'll catch on
2 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

I've said this many times. In my freshman year in the Fall of '74, we started out 0-14. I didn't care. I never missed a game. Granted, I'm a huge basketball fan, but those student sections at Keaney were always full.
I was there also , win or lose.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

As painful as it is for us die-hards, this is very true. More than ever teens/college kids these days are "what have you done for me lately"/fairweather fans for the most part. My own kids are like this and they have been raised in and around sports. Daughter still plays D3 college hoops and she wouldn't sit down to watch the URI game most likely, even though they are fans.
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

What happened to the bit when the other team is being announced pre-game and the students have their backs turned reading newspapers, then when a player is announced, they turn, point and yell 'SUCKS'? None of that anymore. I love when the students are engaged. It adds so much to the atmosphere. I had a bunch of the Greeks in my section on Wednesday. Most of them weren't even watching the game and a lot of them left with about 8 minutes left in an exciting game. It's free entertainment, kids!
The student section looked dead on Wednesday. Lots of people but not engaged at all. That’s what usually happens with these Greek nights at the ryan center.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Excellent job as usual by Buckets! Right before it started, I turned to our ticket guest, and said, "are you ready?" and he said, for what? I said for the Newport Propane Minute of Mayhem!" and watched the madness unfurl.

I agree with EZ....really good crowd considering no students. I think maybe more people in the 300s today than any game 'cept for one this year?

Somehow win 2 of these next three on the road... would mean a great crowd and win over VCU .....beat UMass, the Fordham bus trip gets put back on the sched....beat GW....Fordham bus trip adds another bus....10-6 in the conference....I mean, that could happen.

Y'know, I haven't read al the way thru, maybe ECR already posted this....if so, nm....
No, ECR has us winning the national championship.....and after that, the NBA championship. :lol:
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What I got was it took Dan York almost 4 seconds to not even say Ish's first name.
I forgot to say, "without the obnoxious audio" part ;)
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

A lot has changed in the last 50 years lol. Kids have more entertainment options.

Can now also watch the game from their phone instead of a 20 minute drive to campus
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

EZ, the running joke in our section is the dice are loaded. Not one person has landed a 7 all season, lol.
Actually, I've seen a bunch of 7's....our joke is, if you roll zero 7's, you should get a prize that is slightly better than if you get 1...
Maybe reef, luke. or someone vegas-y can speculate on the odds there...but, seems to me, I like my chances of getting 1, better than none...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Donrxer79 wrote: 1 year ago

I was there also , win or lose.
BTW, those were the first 14 games of Jiggy Williamson and Stanley Wright's career. It turned out pretty good.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

A lot has changed in the last 50 years lol. Kids have more entertainment options.

Can now also watch the game from their phone instead of a 20 minute drive to campus
How about the ones who can just roll out of bed and roll down the hill.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago

As painful as it is for us die-hards, this is very true. More than ever teens/college kids these days are "what have you done for me lately"/fairweather fans for the most part. My own kids are like this and they have been raised in and around sports. Daughter still plays D3 college hoops and she wouldn't sit down to watch the URI game most likely, even though they are fans.
You nailed it. Sports fandom is very different for this generation.

And then it’s not even so much what have you done for me lately, but also what have you done for me ever? If you’re a junior at URI you watched 2 crappy teams. Your schools team has never been interesting
3 x