1/25 | Dayton | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/25 | Dayton | 7:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Make it make sense

Our guards played their best floor game of the season by far. All of them. Bray was spectacular in the decision making and it made him an efficient and dynamic scorer. Ish was a bulldog that spin almost finger roll and 1 over Holmes would have been one for the highlight reel. Carey was excellent after a few subpar games. I love that we finally posted him up, he created spacing and drew double teams. Bassy came in and gave us solid back up minutes exactly the role he should be in.

We spread them out and used the bounce and our speed advantage to get in the paint and create advantages. We didn’t even shoot it well from 3 and still led for 25-30 minutes against a good team. The first of many statement wins of the Archie era.
Great call BAR and to add we shot 23-26 line and had 11 turnovers that mix will win us a lot of games
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Good effort by the boys tonight. Still see who we thought we were. 2 man team. Ish and bray. Build around that
We also got a lot more than usual out of Samb and Tchikou! Made a huge difference!
10 points and 5 boards between the two of them? Free had 6 boards.... Our bigs seem like nice folks, just please don't let them shoot or handle the ball
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Martin shouldn’t be shooting threes. How many open ones is this guy gonna miss?
fify
LOL. Great win today though. Malik needs to play to his strengths. Period.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago Going to be a long night it looks like.
Tchikou is terrible. 2 missed layups. I can’t believe people think an almost 21 year old is going to be a difference maker in a year.
I don't think many people think that. Some have said he has upside, but I don't think anyone thinks he will be a difference-maker next year. Most here know this frontcourt is brutal and want Archie to land one of those juco bigs. We are all hoping Foumena is good. He can't be much worse than this.
Alex had a much better second half.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Tchikou is terrible. 2 missed layups. I can’t believe people think an almost 21 year old is going to be a difference maker in a year.
I don't think many people think that. Some have said he has upside, but I don't think anyone thinks he will be a difference-maker next year. Most here know this frontcourt is brutal and want Archie to land one of those juco bigs. We are all hoping Foumena is good. He can't be much worse than this.
Alex had a much better second half.
I think he just needs to bulk up and reduce the turnovers.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Great win tonight against a more talented opponent.
Best win in the last 2 seasons
Archie coached a great game and they played hard.
Loved the effort tonight and they didn't give up.
6 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Great win tonight against a more talented opponent.
Best win in the last 2 seasons
Archie coached a great game and they played hard.
Loved the effort tonight and they didn't give up.
I feel like this was the kind of win we've been dying to see (against a good team). We've seen flashes of good play, but haven't seen it consistently for over 30 min.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Who cares about announced attendance? There's a big difference between 4,000 announced and 2000 in seats vs 5,000 announced and 3,500 in seats. The vibe in the building has nothing to do with "announced attendance." It would be fun to get approximate turnstile, but that ain't happening.
We have the best win of the season and people STILL are bitching about how attendance is announced?
Look at the time of the post nitwit. Post well Before the game 22 hours ago. It’s NYG trying to stir up shit here and it’s called sarcasm on my part. Go take a walk. It must kill you that you were so wrong about this victory.
I posted on it because I was there and made an observation (observation does not equal bitching) that 'revenue' has nothing to do with what it's like in the building. And, I'll stick by that. Not all announced crowds of 4K are created equal, but you have to be there to tell...but at least 15 is on the hunt for perceived bitchers, so I guess we have that going for us....
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Wow.

Ho. Ly. Shit.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Wooooooooo hooooooooooo!!!!!

What a tremendous win! Proud of the effort!

Best game of the season!
and probably last season, and the season before that...?
We probably won a game @ VCU the last couple years that we probably shouldn’t have.

That was a fun few year stretch where we seemingly always beat them, regardless of each teams record.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

We have the best win of the season and people STILL are bitching about how attendance is announced?
Look at the time of the post nitwit. Post well Before the game 22 hours ago. It’s NYG trying to stir up shit here and it’s called sarcasm on my part. Go take a walk. It must kill you that you were so wrong about this victory.
I posted on it because I was there and made an observation (observation does not equal bitching) that 'revenue' has nothing to do with what it's like in the building. And, I'll stick by that. Not all announced crowds of 4K are created equal, but you have to be there to tell...but at least 15 is on the hunt for perceived bitchers, so I guess we have that going for us....
Good Lord, will you all please stop with the attendance? Win and the world wins with you etc.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Just got home…
Fantastic freaking game!!!
All those FTs, and just enough rebounds and defense!
There was never a doubt!
Glad 208 didn’t bet the house.
Archie and all the boys, but especially Archie, must be feeling pretty good right now.
That’s why he’s here!
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Wooooooooo hooooooooooo!!!!!

What a tremendous win! Proud of the effort!

Best game of the season!
and probably last season, and the season before that...?
We probably won a game @ VCU the last couple years that we probably shouldn’t have.

That was a fun few year stretch where we seemingly always beat them, regardless of each teams record.
lol we beat Davidson last year. I always forget that.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago Just got home…
Fantastic freaking game!!!
All those FTs, and just enough rebounds and defense!
There was never a doubt!
Glad 208 didn’t bet the house.
Archie and all the boys, but especially Archie, must be feeling pretty good right now.
That’s why he’s here!
208 doesn't gamble.... ;)
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Here's our slogan for the year:

Ish and Bray and then we pray.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago

Good Lord, will you all please stop with the attendance? Win and the world wins with you etc.
Good Lord....No one is bitching about it - everyone understands the deal.
There was an observation made - are you offended or what?
Or, just trying out for the part of Tuffy the Keyboard Shutdown Warrior? ;)
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Actual bodies in seats is meaningless. Revenue comes from tickets sold. The calculations of announced attendance are well documented.
Who cares about announced attendance? There's a big difference between 4,000 announced and 2000 in seats vs 5,000 announced and 3,500 in seats. The vibe in the building has nothing to do with "announced attendance." It would be fun to get approximate turnstile, but that ain't happening.
Unreal.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

MARQUIS JONES ENERGY FOREVER.

For some reason we tend to do this against good (albeit banged up) Dayton teams. Marquis Jones. The Andre Berry game. Ish and Bray added their names to the list of Flyer killers.

Archie coached his ass off. Flyers switched to a zone that no one expected in the first quarter of the game. Had to pass/shoot our way out of it. Bray was incredibly shifty getting inside - but Arch moved guys around, leveraged the high post, and forced them to come back to man once we started hitting shots and getting to the line and killing them.

Honestly I thought this was one of Carey's best games as a Ram. 34 mins. 4/5. 12 points. 8 rebounds. 2 blocks. and only 2 TOs. But he made a lot of those winning plays you don't see on a stat sheet. Some huge rebounds in a crowd that were needed. Hustle plays. Efficient. Good defense. Loved it.

You cannot tell me that Ish/Bray/Carey don't have enough to go get hot for 4 days in Brooklyn in this conference.

This team is not as bad as the record and some of the frustrating performances says we are. I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE.

See you Saturday. GO RHODY.

PS: wahhhhh wahhhhhh we won't win 3 more games this year wahhhhh - SUCK IT.
11 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

And people think here Carey isn’t an A10 player.
1 x
Go Rhody
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Was a great game to be at. I was actually thinking of not going but glad I went. Freeman had two shots at the end that were incredible. He hit that Skylab shot from the baseline and I couldn’t believe that runner in the lane crawled over the front of the rim. Great game by all.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Archie with some credit postgame for Woodward and his scouting to prepare them to be ready for the 1-3-1 zone and trapping post passes.

5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I was out of the loop when Hurley beat nationally ranked Nebraska. Other than the obvious, how does this win compare?
I'd compare this one more to the overtime win at SLU in Hurley's first year. That Billikens team was WAY better than this Dayton team, but same vibes. Not a turning point like the Nebraska win, but you can see it coming.
There will (hopefully) never be anything like that Nebraska game ever again.

That was huge because our tournament drought was as long as our winless streak against top 25 teams. Almost 2 decades. Like 30 games. I think we've got a decent chance of ending our current 5+ year, 6 game streak (11/23/17 #20 Seton Hall) in the next few seasons.

Hurley raised the bar. Archie's achievements will be higher.

This wasn't so much a statement as it was a confirmation that this team is better than we've been playing, and has the capability to beat anyone in this conference when they're clicking.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a game. Impressive effort by all. Go Rams!
3 x
GO RAMS
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Haven't read any of the thread yet as we just got home. That was worth the long drive in crappy weather. I can say that because my wife does the driving. That was the entertainment I was looking for from this team. More of that please. Dug out of a big hole early and held off Dayton every time they came close. Contributions from everyone. Foul shooting amazing. All and all a terrific 40 minute effort on both ends of the court.
Hopefully a sign of things to come in the future.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

For those who chose to stay home, you missed a good one. If our 3 guards play like that and we as a team take care of the ball (only 11 turnovers),we can beat some teams. For those bashing Malik, you do realize he was on Camara most of the night. We thought Camara would destroy us. He had 8 points and 6 rebounds in 37 minutes. That's what Malik did tonight. Great feeling leaving the RC tonight. It's coming, slowly but surely.
7 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago For those who chose to stay home, you missed a good one. If our 3 guards play like that and we as a team take care of the ball (only 11 turnovers),we can beat some teams. For those bashing Malik, you do realize he was on Camara most of the night. We thought Camara would destroy us. He had 8 points and 6 rebounds in 37 minutes. That's what Malik did tonight. Great feeling leaving the RC tonight. It's coming, slowly but surely.
Malik isn't a good shooter. Misses bunnies and open threes all the time. He's gotta play to his strengths.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Camara got our much bigger front line for 18 pts on two occasions last season. Put up 27 against VcU couple games ago. Malik’s defense on him was nothing short of spectacular. Malik also was more effective reading the game and doubling down on Holmes which was highly effective. This was a game Malik was necessary to make winning plays down the stretch not score point.

Also Alex made a really tough catch, gather and finish and had a big block in a crucial stretch of the game. Iced the game with 2 free throws. Even his two takes in first half were strong decisive moves he just didn’t finish. I’m still holding out hope he can develop.

This game was basically our ceiling - efficient high production guard play, limiting TOs, win rebounding battle.

Go Rhody!!
10 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Camara got our much bigger front line for 18 pts on two occasions last season. Put up 27 against VcU couple games ago. Malik’s defense on him was nothing short of spectacular. Malik also was more effective reading the game and doubling down on Holmes which was highly effective. This was a game Malik was necessary to make winning plays down the stretch not score point.

Also Alex made a really tough catch, gather and finish and had a big block in a crucial stretch of the game. Iced the game with 2 free throws. Even his two takes in first half were strong decisive moves he just didn’t finish. I’m still holding out hope he can develop.

This game was basically our ceiling - efficient high production guard play, limiting TOs, win rebounding battle.

Go Rhody!!
I agree, Malik's defense was fantastic today. Just pointing out his usual troubles shooting the ball.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Have a weird feeling this is one of those games where URI plays well and keeps it close/wins. Which ends up just leaving you infuriated that we can’t do that consistently against much worse teams
So basically like our Davidson games last year?
Like our Davidson games last year.

Progress isn't linear, but I'll enjoy the hell out of this one for a bit. Something tells me that when Archie truly has things up and running this is one of those games we'll be talking about as a sign post pointing to the direction of the program
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago Have a weird feeling this is one of those games where URI plays well and keeps it close/wins. Which ends up just leaving you infuriated that we can’t do that consistently against much worse teams
So basically like our Davidson games last year?
Like our Davidson games last year.

Progress isn't linear, but I'll enjoy the hell out of this one for a bit. Something tells me that when Archie truly has things up and running this is one of those games we'll be talking about as a sign post pointing to the direction of the program
I think this game was an example of just how good of a coach Archie Miller is. The gameplan was flawless and our guys executed at a very high level.

We still missed a ton of wide open looks that were set up by some beautiful offense.

The ball movement has been great all year, but we got a sneak peak at just how good we can be when as our players develop and the talent level increases.

In the future we hit more of those wide open shots and our pack line does its job and we will straight up kill the A-10.
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

If you want a laugh check out Dayton's fan board. They are MAD LOL https://www.udpride.com/forums/showthre ... 448&page=2
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago If you want a laugh check out Dayton's fan board. They are MAD LOL https://www.udpride.com/forums/showthre ... 448&page=2
Some real gems in there but this take was my favorite. So salty I need blood pressure meds.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230126_052338_Chrome.jpg
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I’ll never stop saying this. Let this serve as a reminder, everything is relative.

Dayton and St Louis are having “bad” years during what we’re supposed to be some of their peak opportunities. Both preseason top 25 teams.

URI is having a “bad” year during what was is and was supposed to be a rebuilding year. We’re right where we should be. With proof that there’s progress being made.

I’d much rather be a Ram right now
9 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Looks like Archie is continuing to tighten up minutes and shorten the bench. He can win games with Malik, Carey, Ish and Bray. I fully expected to see all those guys play most of the minutes the second half of Feb until the end of the season but we need some wins badly to get out of the cellar. Looking to start a run here.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I think the biggest difference was the defensive philosophy. The immediate doubling of Holmes in the post every time he touched the ball completely changed how Dayton wanted to play. The help created a lot of turnovers and the rotations to the open guy on the perimeter were absolutely beautiful. Kept our bigs out of dire foul trouble and contained Holmes who we all thought was going to kill us.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Now tied for 35th in FT percentage.
4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Warren Nolan has us tied at 126 in pace.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Now tied for 35th in FT percentage.
Is this our best free throw shooting team ever? Top to bottom.

Obviously we’ve had elite FT shooting- Jimmy and Fatts come to mind as our best, but top to bottom there’s no Mitchell twin who you expect to miss. Even Samb and Tchikou are fairly reliable.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Obviously we’ve had elite FT shooting- Jimmy and Fatts come to mind as our best, but top to bottom there’s no Mitchell twin who you expect to miss. Even Samb and Tchikou are fairly reliable.
They posted the stat last night this is the best Rhody FT shooting team since 1972-73. It’s rather remarkable considering we are 1 of the worst field goal shooting teams in the country.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

They posted the stat last night this is the best Rhody FT shooting team since 1972-73. It’s rather remarkable considering we are 1 of the worst field goal shooting teams in the country.
More of my perennial hope with this team. I’ve never seen so many balls go in and out - I wish they tracked that stat.

I don’t think we’re a bunch of bad shooters. I think it’s confidence/tough luck. If they start to fall…why not us?
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Checking out Dayton Twitter as it burns this AM. But found this and figured it was worth sharing.

5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You know what else I thought was great last night? Brayon Freeman.

Not for what he did, because that part was obvious. But how he's starting to transform right in front of our eyes. Are people forgetting who this kid was on the court just 2 months ago?

Last night after the game, in the 2-3 minutes I had of the Varsity app working for the post game show, I did hear Archie talk about Bray. Specifically about him being a big game player, someone who lights up when he scores a bucket and legitimately is at his happiest putting it in the hoop, someone who this team needs to be their "guy" when it counts...but someone who also needs coaching and direction. Someone who needs to recognize situational basketball. Learn how to see where he can be a facilitator and when he can be a scorer.

Literally Bray is Fatts Russell. But he'll be coached. The first part is Fatts. The second part is what Fatts was missing that Bray is going to get.

The talent is obvious. Similar to Fatts with the athletic and "how TF did that go in" type finishes. The off-balance shots that find the bottom of the net at key moments.

I've never been so high on a player like I am right now on who Bray is going to become under Archie.

All of the pouting that was met by benching. The dumb plays that are met with coaching. You're literally seeing a real-time transformation of a kid/player, and the benefits of having a coach like Archie who has a system and a way he wants things done. He's not going to bend that for anyone. Including a highly lauded transfer with lofty expectations.

God this is fun.
Last edited by Blue Man 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Checking out Dayton Twitter as it burns this AM. But found this and figured it was worth sharing.

Let's hope we have a couple in Connor and Cam - along with a transfer big or 2.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago You know what else I thought was great last night? Brayon Freeman.

Not for what he did, because that part was obvious. But how he's starting to transform right in front of our eyes. Are people forgetting who this kid was on the court just 2 months ago?

Last night after the game, in the 2-3 minutes I had of the Varsity app working for the post game show, I did hear Archie talk about Bray. Specifically about him being a big game player, someone who lights up when he scores a bucket and legitimately is at his happiest putting it in the hoop, someone who this team needs to be their "guy" when it counts...but someone who also needs coaching and direction. Someone who needs to recognize situational basketball. Learn how to see where he can be a facilitator and when he can be a scorer.

Literally Bray is Fatts Russell. But he'll be coached. The first part is Fatts. The second part is what Fatts was missing that Bray is going to get.

The talent is obvious. Similar to Fatts with the athletic and "how TF did that go in" type finishes. The off-balance shots that find the bottom of the net at key moments.

I've never been so high on a player like I am right now on who Bray is going to become under Archie.

All of the pouting that was met by benching. The dumb plays that are met with coaching. You're literally seeing a real-time transformation of a kid/player, and the benefits of having a coach like Archie who has a system and a way he wants things done. He's not going to bend that for anyone. Including a highly lauded transfer with lofty expectations.

God this is fun.
Great post. If Fatts had Archie coaching him he could have realized Hurley's prediction that he would lead the A10 in scoring.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago You know what else I thought was great last night? Brayon Freeman.

God this is fun.
This is such an important point. Bray was a wreck during the first 3 games, and look at him now. He’s an easy player to root for just based on his attitude and work rate.
4 x
Big Rhody Guy
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Big Rhody Guy »

God this is fun.
This is a great post and I agree with all of it. Bray was so fun to watch last night, get him some bigs with softer hands to catch some of those slick passes and he can be a 5-6 assist a game guy. I think the coaching matters but in my eyes the biggest difference between Fatts and Bray is the 4ish inches of height advantage. Makes a huge difference in having the ability to finish within 5 feet.
3 x
@Bigrhodyguy on Twitter
Blogging for fun @ https://bigrhodyguy.wixsite.com/website
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Fatts=Derek Rose
Freeman=Kyrie Irving
0 x
GO RAMS