Loyola-Chicago to the A10

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Loyola-Chicago to the A10

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

all the complaints and digs I'm reading about Loyola were word for word said about Davidson when they joined the conference...how'd that work out?

"they just had 1 run", "past their prime", too small to compete", etc
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……..to me, Davidson is an example of one of those legacy programs that is defined by the coach……..we will see I guess what they will look like after the coach…….I think a coach ago we were on track for that type program, but that ship sailed……..
Last edited by section(105) 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I guess I am very surprised of the negativity by some posters on Loyola joining the A10.
I think it is a huge win for our conference and glad we are adding another team in the Midwest.
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Programs "defined by the coach" - Duke, Gonzaga
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago all the complaints and digs I'm reading about Loyola were word for word said about Davidson when they joined the conference...how'd that work out?

Err, 2 NCAAT's and no wins?
1 x
Smokinjimit2
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Smokinjimit2 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago Why would we want them? The only reason they were any good is because of a coach that isn't even there anymore.

1963, 1964, 1966, 1968, 1985, 2018, 2021. Those are the times they've made the tournament.

Feels like we just added Chicago Fordham
Ah here it is, people being pissy just for the sake of being pissy.

You may be the only A10 basketball fan who doesn’t like this.

Did VCU suck after Shaka? Dayton after Brian Gregory? Butler after Stevens?
URI after Harrick?
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago all the complaints and digs I'm reading about Loyola were word for word said about Davidson when they joined the conference...how'd that work out?

If you are referring to Davidson, have you forgotten their Elite 8 run with Steph Curry?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago

If you are referring to Davidson, have you forgotten their Elite 8 run with Steph Curry?
Stevie I was commenting on Process commenting on Davidson after they joined the A10. Since Davidson joined the A10, they have been to 2 NCAAT and have no wins.
2 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Stevie I was commenting on Process commenting on Davidson after they joined the A10. Since Davidson joined the A10, they have been to 2 NCAAT and have no wins.
1 win.

And was referencing how they were universally picked to be bottom 3 and the consensus was whether they had the resources to compete in the A10... And they promptly went out and won the regular season title in year 1.
0 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 2 years ago

1 win.

And was referencing how they were universally picked to be bottom 3 and the consensus was whether they had the resources to compete in the A10... And they promptly went out and won the regular season title in year 1.
Their wiki must be wrong then. It has them losing to Iowa in 2015 and Kentucky in 2018. Also, they must still think they are in SoCon and a bid is won in the conference tourney. Because their OOC performance has been brutal.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah looks like they are 0-2 in the dance since joining the conference

I like both Davidson and Loyola in the A10 would hope we get another decent school to get to 16
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

RhodyKyle wrote: 2 years ago Programs "defined by the coach" - Duke, Gonzaga
we're about to find out.
0 x
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Loyola was picked #49 in Madness 144 Basketball preseason.
Picked to finish 1st in Conference and make the NCAA

Only 2 A10 teams ranked higher so Loyola would be 3rd in the A10 based on these rankings

Sounds like a good addition imho

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/19810
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Loyola now up to #18 NET

0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Loyola now up to #18 NET

But but but they’re not Duke, Gonzaga or Kansas!!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago

Seriously.

No idea why the A10 didn’t add Kentucky, UNC, or Villanova instead of this scrub Loyola program.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Seriously.

No idea why the A10 didn’t add Kentucky, UNC, or Villanova instead of this scrub Loyola program.
Exactly. +Michigan, Syracuse, and FSU
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago

Seriously.

Exactly. +Michigan, Syracuse, and FSU
If only the A10 had the IQ of this board and would stop adding these mid majors to their mid major conference
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Especially because they’re a “gym team.”

Everyone knows “gym teams” are terrible.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Loyola won their third MVC Tournament in the last five years at Arch Madness in St Louis this weekend. The Ramblers lost tiebreakers with two other teams that also finished 13-5 and entered the tourney as the 4th seed a game behind #1 seed UNI. They beat #5 Bradley 66-50, #1 UNI 66-43, and #3 Drake 64-58. Loyola, 24-7 with an NET of #25 very likely would have gotten an at large bid even if they had not won their league's automatic bid.
Last edited by RF1 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago Loyola won their third MVC Tournament in the last five years at Arch Madness in St Louis this weekend. The Ramblers lost tiebreakers with two other teams that also finished 13-5 and entered the tourney as the 4th seed a game behind #1 seed UNI. They beat #5 Bradley 66-50, #1 UNI 66-43, and #3 Drake 64-58. Loyola, 24-7 with an NET of #25 probably would have gotten an at large bid if they had not won their league's automatic bid.
They'll compete for an A-10 title in year one.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Team plays some serious defense a lot of low scoring games they will give us fits
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

With Loyola joining, you can safely expect that URI will finish one spot further back in the league standings in the near term future.
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I’d definitely love to head out to Chicago again. Quick flight to Midway to see a game and do an overnight 🤷🏼‍♀️🙏🏼
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 2 years ago With Loyola joining, you can safely expect that URI will finish one spot further back in the league standings in the near term future.
It's gonna be a horse race for sure RF1. :lol:

Rhode Island 2-5
Loyola 1-6

This was just a bad move all around and it is now evident. Borderline 300 Net team. But hey, welcome to the show.....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Loyola has a 4,900 seat arena.
People will continue to be miserable just for the sake of being miserable.

I cannot believe (actually I 10000% can) people on this board are questioning this move.
Sorry, but you were 100000000000000000000000% wrong.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 2 years ago With Loyola joining, you can safely expect that URI will finish one spot further back in the league standings in the near term future.

Rhode Island 2-5
Loyola 1-6

This was just a bad move all around and it is now evident. Borderline 300 Net team. But hey, welcome to the show.....
Really, we aren't even at the halfway point of Loyola's first season in the A10 and some here are crucifying the decision.

I guess several here feel they have a better grasp for what's best for the A10 than Bernadette and the President's Council who felt it was a no-brainer.

I guess they aren't entitled to a down/rebuilding season after losing 4 starters including Lucas Williamson, one of their most accomplished players ever and 1st-Team MVC after getting an auto-bid and beating a good Drake team in the conference finals.

Also remember Drew Valentine is only a 2nd year HC and is now in a new conference.

I felt they were very overrated in the A10 predictions but still I won't 2nd guess their addition.

To say it was a bad move all-around, I guess you have all the facts at your disposal.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Rhode Island 2-5
Loyola 1-6

Really, we aren't even at the halfway point of Loyola's first season in the A10 and some here are crucifying the decision.

I guess several here feel they have a better grasp for what's best for the A10 than Bernadette and the President's Council who felt it was a no-brainer.

I guess they aren't entitled to a down/rebuilding season after losing 4 starters including Lucas Williamson, one of their most accomplished players ever and 1st-Team MVC after getting an auto-bid and beating a good Drake team in the conference finals.

Also remember Drew Valentine is only a 2nd year HC and is now in a new conference.

I felt they were very overrated in the A10 predictions but still I won't 2nd guess their addition.

To say it was a bad move all-around, I guess you have all the facts at your disposal.
Dude, I crucified the decision as soon as it was made. And you and many others jumped all over me. This was an ass bad add to the conference. A lead sinker. Just wait. Why would the A10 add a school with a gym that holds 4k people? Ludicrous.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I have no idea whether it will end up being a good or bad move on adding Loyala, the jury is still out for me and its too early to say for sure either way, but I don't see any issue with their arena capacity. It holds about 4,500. Of the 15 schools in the A10 8 of them have arenas that hold 5,500 or less so it's not that far off from others in the league.

I want schools with bigger arenas and better pedigrees added just as much as anybody else, but there aren't a whole lot of options out there.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I have no idea whether it will end up being a good or bad move on adding Loyala, the jury is still out for me and its too early to say for sure either way, but I don't see any issue with their arena capacity. It holds about 4,500. Of the 15 schools in the A10 8 of them have arenas that hold 5,500 or less so it's not that far off from others in the league.

I want schools with bigger arenas and better pedigrees added just as much as anybody else, but there aren't a whole lot of options out there.
So why add more schools with crap gyms? We debate getting rid of LaSalle, Fordham, GW, Duquesne etc. Why would we ever bring another one of them into the conference?
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I have no idea whether it will end up being a good or bad move on adding Loyala, the jury is still out for me and its too early to say for sure either way, but I don't see any issue with their arena capacity. It holds about 4,500. Of the 15 schools in the A10 8 of them have arenas that hold 5,500 or less so it's not that far off from others in the league.

So why add more schools with crap gyms? We debate getting rid of LaSalle, Fordham, GW, Duquesne etc. Why would we ever bring another one of them into the conference?
Because the decision to add a school comes down to much more than just the size of their arena. Loyola has invested way more in their program than LaSalle, Fordham, GW and Duquesne. They have a practice facility that just opened in 2019, are in the Chicago market, I think they offered Moser somewhere in the $2 million range to stay, they invest in the program overall way more then the A10 bottom feeders.

And there are no schools with huge gyms looking to come to the A10 anyway. It sucks, but the conference is what it is at this point, and chances are if anything we're going to lose some of the bigger/better schools before too long, so I can see why they added Loyola when they did. Doesn't mean it's going to definitely work out, but I get why they did it.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

Because the decision to add a school comes down to much more than just the size of their arena. Loyola has invested way more in their program than LaSalle, Fordham, GW and Duquesne. They have a practice facility that just opened in 2019, are in the Chicago market, I think they offered Moser somewhere in the $2 million range to stay, they invest in the program overall way more then the A10 bottom feeders.

And there are no schools with huge gyms looking to come to the A10 anyway. It sucks, but the conference is what it is at this point, and chances are if anything we're going to lose some of the bigger/better schools before too long, so I can see why they added Loyola when they did. Doesn't mean it's going to definitely work out, but I get why they did it.
While yesterdays thoughts of Chicago bring warm feelings, the fact is it's a city/state in decline.
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/79-of-il ... loses-45k/
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Siena has a big gym. Talent rich area. I think in a better conference their ceiling gets higher. Have always been high on them as a potential addition way before Iona or Hofstra who folks mention from time to time. their average attendance would already put them in the middle of A10 pack.

I do think it’s prob too early to call Loyola a failure tho. Way too early.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

While yesterdays thoughts of Chicago bring warm feelings, the fact is it's a city/state in decline.
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/79-of-il ... loses-45k/
Ok, but I'm not sure how relevant that really is to this discussion. Chicago is still a huge media market. I mean if you really want to focus on population the city of Chicago still has like 1.5 million more people then the whole state of Rhode Island so as URI fans we better hope population isn't a deciding factor in whether a school is worthy of being in the A10.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Siena has a big gym. Talent rich area. I think in a better conference their ceiling gets higher. Have always been high on them as a potential addition way before Iona or Hofstra who folks mention from time to time. their average attendance would already put them in the middle of A10 pack.

I do think it’s prob too early to call Loyola a failure tho. Way too early.
Totally agree on Siena. They would definitely be on my short list of realistic options if the A10 is still looking to add.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhode Island 2-5
Loyola 1-6

Dude, I crucified the decision as soon as it was made. And you and many others jumped all over me. This was an ass bad add to the conference. A lead sinker. Just wait. Why would the A10 add a school with a gym that holds 4k people? Ludicrous.
I know you were Blueram, but you just decided to re-open this thread.
I still can't understand your pushback, since the decision makers thought it was a fantastic opportunity including Thorr.

Okay you are entitled to your opinion, and we will leave it at that.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

…..I expect big star recruits, announced on espn, teams that play in big arenas, TV contracts that bring national eyeballs to the TV contracts……..did I miss anything?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I know you were Blueram, but you just decided to re-open this thread.
I still can't understand your pushback, since the decision makers thought it was a fantastic opportunity including Thorr.

Okay you are entitled to your opinion, and we will leave it at that.
The decision makers were wrong.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago …..I expect big star recruits, announced on espn, teams that play in big arenas, TV contracts that bring national eyeballs to the TV contracts……..did I miss anything?
Maybe the fact that just about everyone was wrong for supporting this add?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhode Island 2-5
Loyola 1-6

Because the A10 didn’t add a program. They added a team that was good under one coach for a spell.

UConn won a national title with Kevin Ollie - how’d that work long term?

Dave Cox inherited a winning program, how’d that turn out?

Just like anything else, the old regimes players and tactics last for about 2 seasons and then the mystique is gone.

I was never a believer in Loyola because they beat up on MVC teams and didn’t consistently win their tourney. It’s not like Gonzaga. They got lucky with matchups in one magical run spurred by the once in a lifetime 16 over 1 win of UMBC.

This was a bad get from the jump. The pundits who picked them top 4 are idiots and they belong in the MVC. We added more to the bottom of the conference. Not a help.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Loyola women suck too. 1-6 in conference.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago

Rhode Island 2-5
Loyola 1-6

Because the A10 didn’t add a program. They added a team that was good under one coach for a spell.

UConn won a national title with Kevin Ollie - how’d that work long term?

Dave Cox inherited a winning program, how’d that turn out?

Just like anything else, the old regimes players and tactics last for about 2 seasons and then the mystique is gone.

I was never a believer in Loyola because they beat up on MVC teams and didn’t consistently win their tourney. It’s not like Gonzaga. They got lucky with matchups in one magical run spurred by the once in a lifetime 16 over 1 win of UMBC.

This was a bad get from the jump. The pundits who picked them top 4 are idiots and they belong in the MVC. We added more to the bottom of the conference. Not a help.
I disagree with you Blue Man about the addition of Loyola but do agree that they shouldn't have been picked 4th.

Not ready yet to compare Drew Valentine to David Cox.

Sean Miller didn't do so bad when he got promoted to HC at Xavier.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

CHICAGO (March 23, 2022) – Loyola University Chicago first-year head men's basketball coach Drew Valentine has been selected as a finalist for the Ben Jobe Award, which is presented each year to the top NCAA Division I minority coach.
========
Blue Man consistently berates minority coaches whether it is David Cox, Kevin Ollie or Kevin Valentine.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago Loyola has a 4,900 seat arena.

I cannot believe (actually I 10000% can) people on this board are questioning this move.

They haven’t even finished one season in the conference.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Rhode Island 2-5
Loyola 1-6

Why are you so hung up on the 4,900 seats? They have one of the nicest arenas in the league. Have you even bothered to look?
2 x
Common sense is not common.
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
CHICAGO (March 23, 2022) – Loyola University Chicago first-year head men's basketball coach Drew Valentine has been selected as a finalist for the Ben Jobe Award, which is presented each year to the top NCAA Division I minority coach.
========
Blue Man consistently berates minority coaches whether it is David Cox, Kevin Ollie or Kevin Valentine.

You can't just call people racist because they disagree with you.

I'll go back to read only mode now. This comment just happened to strike a nerve, since I was also once called a racist for questioning some of the decision making of infallible Ed.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
========
This is your worst post ever. Disgusting. I guess he never berated CFL or Jerry Duh? Bringing up race here is so out of line.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TWO POSTS IN A ROW USING THE "R" WORD!!! LOCK IT UP! LOCK IT UP WHILE THERE'S STILL TIME!!!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

They haven’t even finished one season in the conference.
You said you couldn’t believe people on this board questioning Loyola joining the A10. No games had been played when you said that.
Now you say they haven’t even finished the conference? Like people here are jumping to conclusions too quickly?

Several on this KB board are looking pretty smart right now having said this was a bad move for the A10 (I wasn’t one of them), unfortunately for the conference.

Loyola is a disaster 15th of 15 MBB (Even behind La Salle) and 14th of 15 WBB

There has to be plenty of buyers remorse at the A10 Offices regarding this move

Nobody foresaw this implosion coming.

NET - MBB
69-Dayton
78-VCU
86-St Louis
124-George Mason
133-Duquesne
135-Richmond
153-Fordham
162-UMASS
164-Davidson
176-George Washington
179-St Bonaventure
222-St Joseph’s
239-URI
267-LaSalle
271-Loyola of Chicago

NET WBB
68-URI
72-UMASS
90-Fordham
99-St Joseph’s
110-Richmond
129-Davidson
135-Duquesne
142-La Salle
160-George Washington
179-St Louis
193-George Mason
204-VCU
218-Dayton
255-Loyola of Chicago
322-St Bonaventure
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was for the addition of Loyola @ the time , it is early so let’s check back after year 3 then we should fully know what we have on our hands
0 x