1/21 | George Mason | 12:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/21 | George Mason | 12:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Archie had to find bodies to fill a roster and didnt have much time to do it. I think he will be much more selective going forward...he's got some players who are keepers, and some who arent.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Clips of Bray going off in the second half.. If you all don't mind liking and retweeting, I'd appreciate it.

I wish Weston was more involved in the second half, but Bray put on a show.

Ish is always solid

Our frontcourt is brutal.

Rory has hit a 3 in back-to-back games. Coming in and at least keeping the defense honest so our guards could drive was the role I envisioned. I think many others on here felt the same way. He has a long way to go to get his body and strength to where it needs to be, but it doesn't hurt to have someone that can hit a 3.

Samb looks like he has regressed.

Tchikou was the best defender but got into foul trouble.

I hate to say it, but I thought Archie made a few mistakes yet again. His biggest mistake is the roster he built for this year.

I think we are all numb to this at this point. It sucks, but I expected to lose.

I can’t really blame him for the roster.

He targeted many better transfers, they just chose different schools.

You can do A LOT worse than Freeman and Leggett as an A10 backcourt. I like them moving forward.

Just need to improve the front court drastically.
3 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Just got home from Ryan - - with you 100% Stevey, we just have no front court at all on both sides of the court. It's devastating to this team.

Pretty nice turnout today all things considered, I'd say at least a half-full arena. Good (thankless) job to EZ as he mentioned he is battling a cold. The Newport Propane thing cracks me up every time, it's become a running joke in our family!
5917 attendance solid number for sure
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Archie had to find bodies to fill a roster and didnt have much time to do it. I think he will be much more selective going forward...he's got some players who are keepers, and some who arent.
Yeah bone need to upgrade the talent level for sure , this season is frustrating watching this group
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Three simple words to improve for next year

IMPLODE

THE

FRONTCOURT
2 x
Donrxer79
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Donrxer79 »

On another note, I thought Yorke was extremely irritating today.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Three simple words to improve for next year

IMPLODE

THE

FRONTCOURT
Lmao I was wondering who that was in 205.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Daron Holmes and Camara are gonna get 50-60 points against us Wednesday. Yikes!

Losing Bilau was a massive loss. He was our only big capable of hanging with A10 front lines.
3 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

At least with a Saturday game less traffic both ways, which means less than an hour both ways. That's the positive. The negative remains the same. Our frontcourt is extremely soft. Unfortunately there is no way to fix it this year. Has to be a priority for next year. Say what you want about Stewart he gives maximum effort every time he takes the court. For some reason they make their mini runs when he's out there. Obviously he needs to improve a lot, but he is a kid worth rooting hard for. Plays hard and appears to be a good teammate.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Donrxer79 wrote: 1 year ago On another note, I thought Yorke was extremely irritating today.
Definitely more annoying when losing.... Rhody scores and the other team has the ball in their set offense and setting up for a shot while he's still saying "Ish Legget".... on a shot that pulls 'em to within 11.... :roll: If it put them 'up' 11, it would be just as brutal, but no one would care....
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago At least with a Saturday game less traffic both ways, which means less than an hour both ways. That's the positive. The negative remains the same. Our frontcourt is extremely soft. Unfortunately there is no way to fix it this year. Has to be a priority for next year. Say what you want about Stewart he gives maximum effort every time he takes the court. For some reason they make their mini runs when he's out there. Obviously he needs to improve a lot, but he is a kid worth rooting hard for. Plays hard and appears to be a good teammate.
Rory makes a conscious effort to box out. Certainly not T or Samb !
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The A10 uses to be a guard dominant league, but I tell ya, there are some solid front courts and they’re getting bigger.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

So once again, WHY isn’t Hutchinson playing? How the fuck is Rory getting time and he’s not? (Yes I know he made a 3 today…)
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Haha that first play from Oduro may not be a good sign...
This post has, and will continue to, age well...
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago At least with a Saturday game less traffic both ways, which means less than an hour both ways. That's the positive. The negative remains the same. Our frontcourt is extremely soft. Unfortunately there is no way to fix it this year. Has to be a priority for next year. Say what you want about Stewart he gives maximum effort every time he takes the court. For some reason they make their mini runs when he's out there. Obviously he needs to improve a lot, but he is a kid worth rooting hard for. Plays hard and appears to be a good teammate.
Rory makes a conscious effort to box out. Certainly not T or Samb !
Alex Tchikou is terrible. Low IQ player. Doesn’t go up strong for layups, scared to dunk the ball.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

As good as Odoro was today does anyone remember him going left on that shoulder. Seemed always right and we NEVER anticipated that .
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago So once again, WHY isn’t Hutchinson playing? How the fuck is Rory getting time and he’s not? (Yes I know he made a 3 today…)
Because he can’t guard any 3 and gets completely pushed around when he is matched against a 4.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yes, it was a good crowd today.
Caught up with Milan and Carl at the half.

We really dug ourselves in a deep hole at the half.
Shooting was horrible in the 1st half, and we gave up some easy buckets.

Bray came alive in the 2nd half and liked Weston today aside from several ill-timed turnovers and defensive lapses.
Marin was quiet on offense and Carey didn't have a good game.

Neither Samb nor Alex had the strength to contain Oduro.
Again, they are both playing out of position, not 5's, but they may be serviceable at forward.
Samb had some shots that didn't fall early but looked smoother today than Alex and ran the court okay.

Next season, hopefully Foumena and maybe a healthy Bilau will help down low.
Along with any other players Archie may decide to bring in.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we had Foumena and Bilau this season we would have a few more wins imo. I agree with those who want an impact transfer big for next year. Of course they dont grow on trees lol.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago If we had Foumena and Bilau this season we would have a few more wins imo. I agree with those who want an impact transfer big for next year. Of course they dont grow on trees lol.
I said it before the season, and I'll say it again. I think the twins would have made a great impact under Archie. You put them on this roster and mix them with Bray and Ish, and I think we could beat anyone in a very weak A10. I know most on here disagree with me, and that's fine.. I'm not trying to open up another debate on why Archie pushed them out, as I get why he did...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Start Weston.
5 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago If we had Foumena and Bilau this season we would have a few more wins imo. I agree with those who want an impact transfer big for next year. Of course they dont grow on trees lol.
I said it before the season, and I'll say it again. I think the twins would have made a great impact under Archie. You put them on this roster and mix them with Bray and Ish, and I think we could beat anyone in a very weak A10. I know most on here disagree with me, and that's fine.. I'm not trying to open up another debate on why Archie pushed them out, as I get why he did...
No doubt the Mitchell's are way more talented than what we have. They would have had to have done a total attitude adjustment. Obviously Archie didn't think they were capable or they weren't interested.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago
No doubt the Mitchell's are way more talented than what we have. They would have had to have done a total attitude adjustment. Obviously Archie didn't think they were capable or they weren't interested.
Yes, we would have definitely been better, but I guess Archie was willing to trade the wins and rather go for players that fit his culture.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago Rory hit a 3! 😳
I'm fairly confident that I even heard him call for the ball before it was passed to him.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don’t think many people disagreed with you that they would’ve made us better.

I think people were just sick and tired of their piss poor attitudes and wanted them gone regardless of how we’d be this season with them.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Archie could only coach the twins if they wanted to conform to his system. Also, the mom was tight with Cox. Archie wasn't giving in and they were not staying.

For all the reasons we are seeing is the reason I call next year Archie's first. Bilau was better than Samb and Alex, but I think we still need better to compete in the A10. I have no opinion yet about Foumena and I am not buying or dismissing the hype.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Archie could only coach the twins if they wanted to conform to his system. Also, the mom was tight with Cox. Archie wasn't giving in and they were not staying.

For all the reasons we are seeing is the reason I call next year Archie's first. Bilau was better than Samb and Alex, but I think we still need better to compete in the A10. I have no opinion yet about Foumena and I am not buying or dismissing the hype.
If only EC fit into Hurleys system… Maybe he would have made an impact. What a bust…
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Clips of Bray going off in the second half.. If you all don't mind liking and retweeting, I'd appreciate it.

I wish Weston was more involved in the second half, but Bray put on a show.

Ish is always solid

Our frontcourt is brutal.

Rory has hit a 3 in back-to-back games. Coming in and at least keeping the defense honest so our guards could drive was the role I envisioned. I think many others on here felt the same way. He has a long way to go to get his body and strength to where it needs to be, but it doesn't hurt to have someone that can hit a 3.

Samb looks like he has regressed.

Tchikou was the best defender but got into foul trouble.

I hate to say it, but I thought Archie made a few mistakes yet again. His biggest mistake is the roster he built for this year.

I think we are all numb to this at this point. It sucks, but I expected to lose.
I disagree that Samb has regressed. He has been trying to figure things out all season. He was giving an effort but just against a much more skilled and experienced big. Oduro really knows how to play at this level and this game should help our bigs in the long run. Alex has our best assist on an odd man fast break today. Our guards should take notes. George Mason has some skilled offensive players and the game was decent entertainment.

I noticed quite a bit today that Leggett was open and not receiving a pass. Hopefully this does not continue.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago

Yes, we would have definitely been better, but I guess Archie was willing to trade the wins and rather go for players that fit his culture.
It was probably the right move between their attitude, the mom and all the baggage that came with them, but in terms of the players that fit the culture they have not arrived yet or if their are ones that are on the roster now they lack talent. I would rather lose than be just under or at .500 with the twins. Impossible to root for. Pretty tough to actually think Hutchinson and Foumena are going to come in next year and make a difference. Especially Hutchinson
2 x
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

The concession lines were an embarssment, people begging to give money and walking away
4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I didn’t get to hear the post game with Archie. Did he say anything of note?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RAMFAN wrote: 1 year ago The concession lines were an embarssment, people begging to give money and walking away
I literally only came here to mention this. What the hell is going on in the Ryan center? Got in line for concessions right as the first half ended. Took me until 4 minutes into the 2nd half to get served. Absolute embarrassment.

Is the product on the court good? No. So how do you build loyal fans despite that? A great game day experience.
2 x
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

This team is tough to watch. Desperate times if we think Mitchell twins would help, they were useless. Archie needs to hit the portal next year and try to get some proven talent mixed with younger players. I still believe in this staff and think brighter days will be ahead. But, this is probably one of the worst teams to watch play in a long time. Offense is absolutely brutal, I cannot remember a Rhody team that has shot this poorly. I really root for bassy being a local kid , but he’s not an A10 point guard. Now that I got this off my chest I will stop complaining. I still have faith that this staff will turn it around next season .
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We actually shot it pretty well today. 43% from field and 46% from 3. I think we have guys that can hit shots but we don’t get many easy ones. We can’t throw the ball inside to create spacing outside. We take the highest percentage of tough twos (mid range jumpers) in the league. That’s not a winning formula. Modern game is threes and layups. We are going against the grain.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If only EC fit into Hurleys system… Maybe he would have made an impact. What a bust…
As a sophomore I thought EC had NBA potential. He was one of many very good players on DH's NCAAT teams but no longer NBA material after being injured.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago We actually shot it pretty well today. 43% from field and 46% from 3. I think we have guys that can hit shots but we don’t get many easy ones. We can’t throw the ball inside to create spacing outside. We take the highest percentage of tough twos (mid range jumpers) in the league. That’s not a winning formula. Modern game is threes and layups. We are going against the grain.
We don't get many open outside shots because defenses do not respect our ability to score inside.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Hard to believe but this our best FF shooting team in 50 years. Going into today we’re 58th in the country at 74.47%. 41st in the country in attempts (which is what Archie has said he wants to be known for). We were terrible last year and for the last several years. Last year we shot 62% and the twins both averaged 52% (so much for us being better if they were still here). Even in Hurley’s last two years we were under 70%. I don’t know what we’re doing differently but it’s working. Keep the faith. It's a marathon not a sprint.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 5 times in total.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodyram99 wrote: 1 year ago This team is tough to watch. Desperate times if we think Mitchell twins would help, they were useless. Archie needs to hit the portal next year and try to get some proven talent mixed with younger players. I still believe in this staff and think brighter days will be ahead. But, this is probably one of the worst teams to watch play in a long time. Offense is absolutely brutal, I cannot remember a Rhody team that has shot this poorly. I really root for bassy being a local kid , but he’s not an A10 point guard. Now that I got this off my chest I will stop complaining. I still have faith that this staff will turn it around next season .
Oh the twins would've helped immensely

They were annoying, but they were still 500 times better than Samb and Tchikou
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago So once again, WHY isn’t Hutchinson playing? How the fuck is Rory getting time and he’s not? (Yes I know he made a 3 today…)
They don't play the same position
0 x
Rhodyram99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhodyram99 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodyram99 wrote: 1 year ago This team is tough to watch. Desperate times if we think Mitchell twins would help, they were useless. Archie needs to hit the portal next year and try to get some proven talent mixed with younger players. I still believe in this staff and think brighter days will be ahead. But, this is probably one of the worst teams to watch play in a long time. Offense is absolutely brutal, I cannot remember a Rhody team that has shot this poorly. I really root for bassy being a local kid , but he’s not an A10 point guard. Now that I got this off my chest I will stop complaining. I still have faith that this staff will turn it around next season .
Oh the twins would've helped immensely

They were annoying, but they were still 500 times better than Samb and Tchikou
Objectively speaking , Mitchell twins are better than what we have for sure. But , like another posted stated , I would rather lose with the players we have now than have them. I don’t miss them one bit at all.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Now I have this. I think Archie has mentally moved on to player evaluation for next year. I think he is, as Blueman has stated over and over, committed to his defensive system, no variation from that. I think he is now seeing who has not “got it” with the attitude to execute it. This, maybe Hutch types, will be gone as evidenced by their inability to demonstrate in practice. Really growing pains to get there, and going to take couple of years to use portal recruitments that have head, skill sets, and willingness to commit to his system. I guess this is what I hang my beat up Rhody hat on.
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I didn’t get to hear the post game with Archie. Did he say anything of note?
Yeah, I think the key word was attitude, in this case lack there of……
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Just so you know: Cooper who torched us for 20 points (5 for 8 on 3s) turned 24 years old last month and is in his 6th year of college basketball. We are a very young team but playing against guys like that only makes our youth a bigger issue.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

eli#10 wrote: 1 year ago Just so you know: Cooper who torched us for 20 points (5 for 8 on 3s) turned 24 years old last month and is in his 6th year of college basketball. We are a very young team but playing against guys like that only makes our youth a bigger issue.
Jalen Carey was born October 1999. He is 23 years 4 months
Malik Martin has played 5 years: 2 years at Charlotte, 3 years here. His Birthday will be in June
Alex Tchikou will be 21 March 30

Leggett is in his 3rd year
Freeman in his 2nd

Not exactly very young starting 5
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

I know that… :? but it feels unfair to Louis when BOTH of them are freshmen AND a liability on defense. I’d say Louis is a better shooter than Rory right now.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I felt that Freeman was forcing things and hunting shots in the first half. Now that he has had that big scoring second half, maybe he’ll realize that there is plenty of time left if he has a slow start and not force things so much. I can see taking chances and doing that when down late, since he may be the only player that can get his own shot (I guess Carey at times), but he needs to at least try and get others involved in the first half.
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
I know that… :? but it feels unfair to Louis when BOTH of them are freshmen AND a liability on defense. I’d say Louis is a better shooter than Rory right now.
Maybe redshirting him? Needs to work on his body, get stronger.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Just got home from Ryan - - with you 100% Stevey, we just have no front court at all on both sides of the court. It's devastating to this team.

Pretty nice turnout today all things considered, I'd say at least a half-full arena. Good (thankless) job to EZ as he mentioned he is battling a cold. The Newport Propane thing cracks me up every time, it's become a running joke in our family!
5917 attendance solid number for sure
Far better than what one should expect for the A-10 team with the fewest overall wins in the entire league. This game was likely very much helped by it being on a Saturday with no weather issues as well as being a part of the five game mini pack package. Many of the mini pack ticket holders had not been to a game since the plan's Army contest six weeks ago (Sat 12/10/2022). Will be interesting to see if the next game in the plan this upcoming Saturday versus LaSalle also sees such good numbers. Yesterday's reported attendance of 5,917 pushes the YTD average attendance up to 5,012. This places it very comfortably in fifth place for the A-10. This 5th position is unlikely to change as it is some 1k behind 4th (UR) and some 1K ahead of the next closest (6th UMass). Dayton, VCU, SLU, and Richmond lead the conference as they do most seasons. URI will finish the year in a familiar 5th place once again which is basically its norm as it regularly flip flops with Richmond for the 4th and 5th spots.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Another game where we get down very early. Same script as the Richmond game.

Down 8-0.

Outscore them the rest of the way.

Need to get off to better starts.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd much rather have Antwan Walker.
3 x