1/11 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 1/11 | St. Bonaventure | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by luke »

Feels like the movie Groundhog Day every game . Take a double digit lead with about 10 minutes to go , then watch it disappear in the last few minutes . fortunately , they were able to hang o after Is h made two fts. If they could learn how to close out a game they might be dangerous.
I was about to say this had been their most consistent performance over the full 40 minutes , and then they proceeded to go scoreless untill Ish hit the fts. Unbelievable . Well , they did get the win at least.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Just gotta build on this one!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago We are winning the rebounding battle by 13 with only a combined 3 rebounds from Samb and big T. That’s nuts!
Improvement for them over LaSalle game?
I believe so. :lol:
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Geez.. these boys are gonna give us all heart attacks…
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Mrs hrstrat57 said I had to post MVP for EZ Buckets pump up before final opponent possession.

:)
5 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As bad as things seem, we could easily be 10-6 or so instead of the other way around. But I am seeing improvement..as the season moves along. Something we haven't seen in years. Nice to have a coach with a plan ha ha.
6 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Carey is so athletic but makes such bad decisions. His handle is better this year. He will always take the defender on rather than pass. When Bray and Jalen are at guard there is no movement; just a lot of dribbling. Bassy is making his FTs, playing OK defense and moving the ball, but his shooting is bad, What was Archie thinking in calling Bassy to take a trey right before halftime?

I totally agree that the announcers are awful, and the camera work is not far behind. Too few close up shots and too much wide angle.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Weston came through in the second half. I was yelling to put him back in in the final seconds. Nice to be happy walking out of the Ryan Center.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Team doesn’t have a closer (yet) and so I expect more of these.

Besides UD not many A10 teams are good enough to win on the road so there are more of those for the taking.

Ish’s best game with an immense stat line - 23 and 14.

Weston continues to get more comfortable and his shot looks pure when he is in rhythm.

15 turnovers way too many. This team will eventually figure out how to close out games (I hope).
5 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

We’re getting closer every day.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Archie was prophetic in the preseason when he said you won’t recognize the change in Weston from the preseason to the beginning of conference play.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago - URI faculty and staff get 4 free tickets
- Season ticket holders can bring a friend
- URI students can bring 4 guests for free

They’re literally giving away all the tickets to this game. Can’t imagine they expect more than 2k people at the gate
tell me how ticket sales are bad without telling me ticket sales are bad
Is what it is. I like what they’re doing. Get people interested at all costs. Get them in the building. Then if/when you start winning they’re more likely to come back
I don't mind it at all...we paid for season tix but, I wouldn't care if they paid people to go at this point. we're not talking NBA prices...would much rather see a bunch of folks there. When it's a more competitive team, the tickets will have value. A this point, and depending on who's playing, sometimes my living room can be louder...

Speaking of seeing folks...the wife and I were happy to see ATP Tour Fan tonight! Forgot to ask where you are sitting these days, hope to see you at the next one!
6 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Weston highlights
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago Ishmaaaasaeeeelll Leggggggggetttt..
Fantastic game by Ish.
Weston looking better and better. Still working on his stamina. He was definitely gassed at one point
Tchikou is useless on offense..
Look forward to some new bigs next year.
T was bad tonight - not giving up on him long term though, height and athleticism is there. Definitely need to bring in another guy to compete with Samb for minutes though. Cannot count on Bilau being ready to go again and who knows with Foumena.
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Shout out to the Ryan Center for the 3 hot dogs & the shaidzon 5th anniversary & a dollar tip for a crisp 20$ bill. Sold, what a great deal for a fun game. :)
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago I have actual game thoughts for after the game. But I honestly cannot take this announcing on the broadcast. Can we start getting the away feed somehow? It’s honestly taking away from my enjoyment of the game.
Its really really bad. I hate piling on the kids doing it, but it makes us look so small time.
I try to not complain but saying "rhode Island ARE" all games and dumb things like how this is a great game "one of the best" And as of today, starting his signature "can't find it"
I'm sure I sucked my first few years too. But this guy cares more about being famous than being a solid, respectable announcer.
Go Rams!
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Big lines at the concessions for those $2 Rhody Dogs?
Doesn't matter. If there's 5 people in front of you...it's still a good 15-20 minutes. (Confession...I did have a couple...)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Big lines at the concessions for those $2 Rhody Dogs?
Doesn't matter. If there's 5 people in front of you...it's still a good 15-20 minutes. (Confession...I did have a couple...)
They were actually not bad. Saugy's. So there's that. I guess everything seems better when you win.
Last edited by theblueram 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

It’s funny cause the dude getting the food together seemed shocked when I ordered 3 hot dogs. I told him I have 3 friends who are ordering the same thing behind me.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I legitimately get scared when we have a fast break opportunity. Its almost never just an easy bucket.
This made me stop and think....fast break....what's that again?
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Anyone else really not impressed with Alex Tchikou? Seems very clumsy on offense. Big guy that can't hold the ball.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago How many times will we give Tchikou a pass for an easy finish, and he's drops it? We should have another 8 pts if we had a big man that could simply catch the ball and lay it in....
Did you just copy this from a game thread from every message board for the last 10 years? ;)
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Big Rhody Guy wrote: 1 year ago If we find a way to blow this I want the announcers fired into the sun. Talking about the maturity of holding leads with 4 minutes still on the clock.
LOL...At 3:56, up 10, I turned to my kids behind me and said, "under 4 minutes, 10 point lead, can they hang on?" They both put it at 50/50.....
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else really not impressed with Alex Tchikou? Seems very clumsy on offense. Big guy that can't hold the ball.
Probably Archie😩😩
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Tell you what, Archie was fired up this game. He was pissed off several times. The players are getting an earful right now. Even with the win.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Anyone else really not impressed with Alex Tchikou? Seems very clumsy on offense. Big guy that can't hold the ball.
I don't think anyone is at this point. Like, it's hard to sugarcoat 2 points, 2 rebounds and 4 turnovers. A steal and a block, but still. Between him and Samb (4 points, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls, 1 turnover, 0 assists, steals and blocks) we're getting almost no production from the 5. The only other option is Rory, who's looked even more overmatched there, or just saying "eff it" and using some highly unconventional lineup with no 5.
2 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Mrs hrstrat57 said I had to post MVP for EZ Buckets pump up before final opponent possession.

Thank the Mrs. for me! These games during winter break are BRUTAL. But I’m VERY happy everyone got up & made some serious noise in that final possession!

As for the game, I’m excited that Weston is finally getting comfortable & showing what he’s capable of. Should be getting 20+ minutes a game. The team overall is continuing to improve & gel too - just need to start playing hard & smart for 40 full minutes and hold these leads so I stop having heart attacks.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need a shower & a hot cup of tea.

GO RHODY!!!!
5 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Will this be the game Weston gets to play 25 minutes? I hope so.
I don't think Weston is a ball handler an he is behind Martin at the 3 or 4 for now. So until one of those change, his minutes will be limited
If this seasons win loss records don’t mean much for the big picture, then I would rather Archie select those he wants to retain and build/ coach them up now. Even if that means less PT for Martin etc. let’s see what we got, no?
That is absolutely not the way to build a winner.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I think Archie would have stayed with Westin longer if he didn’t get poked in the eye. I think he’ll be taking more of Martin’s minutes going forward.
Maybe, but don’t be surprised if it takes some of Thomas’ minutes also. There were times tonight when both Martin and Westin were in the game.
When he is taking most minutes from both, the team will be better imo
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
I don't think anyone is at this point. Like, it's hard to sugarcoat 2 points, 2 rebounds and 4 turnovers. A steal and a block, but still. Between him and Samb (4 points, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls, 1 turnover, 0 assists, steals and blocks) we're getting almost no production from the 5. The only other option is Rory, who's looked even more overmatched there, or just saying "eff it" and using some highly unconventional lineup with no 5.
Yup, our frontcourt is invisible.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

EZBuckets wrote: 1 year ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Mrs hrstrat57 said I had to post MVP for EZ Buckets pump up before final opponent possession.

Thank the Mrs. for me! These games during winter break are BRUTAL. But I’m VERY happy everyone got up & made some serious noise in that final possession!

As for the game, I’m excited that Weston is finally getting comfortable & showing what he’s capable of. Should be getting 20+ minutes a game. The team overall is continuing to improve & gel too - just need to start playing hard & smart for 40 full minutes and hold these leads so I stop having heart attacks.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need a shower & a hot cup of tea.

GO RHODY!!!!
The crowd was awesome for that last possession. My heart can't take anymore close games like this.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Tell you what, Archie was fired up this game. He was pissed off several times. The players are getting an earful right now. Even with the win.
He was torqued at the refs a couple times, too...at one point, he was out there spin/stomping on the court and I thought he might go full scale Hurls, but the play went by him and it was like no one seemed to care....
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Remember when 72 said Bray couldn't pass?
That back door bounce pass to Ish cutting to the basket was a thing of beauty.
8 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago Shout out to the Ryan Center for the 3 hot dogs & the shaidzon 5th anniversary & a dollar tip for a crisp 20$ bill. Sold, what a great deal for a fun game. :)
DAMN. Why doesn't marketing send out an email about this?!
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Carey and Freeman had bad games. If we can show more consistency across the board we could finish the season better than we started. Team should be 8-8 right now. TO's and, in this game, poor 3PT shooting hurt us. But a win is a win!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Carey and Freeman had bad games. If we can show more consistency across the board we could finish the season better than we started. Team should be 8-8 right now. TO's and, in this game, poor 3PT shooting hurt us. But a win is a win!
If that’s a bad game from Freeman I’ll absolutely take that.

Led the team in assists, second in rebounds.

Had a few absolutely beautiful passes that led guys wide open.
3 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago Carey and Freeman had bad games. If we can show more consistency across the board we could finish the season better than we started. Team should be 8-8 right now. TO's and, in this game, poor 3PT shooting hurt us. But a win is a win!

That pass to Leggett down low was beautiful.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah Bray sure had a couple highlight reel passes great to see

Ish a monster stat line and we needed it !!

4722 not a bad attendance fig ??
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I wonder how many hot dogs were sold.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I listen to the varsity stream and watch ESPN+
Yep, tried that last nite, mine was not synced perfect, but close enough, the kids are wearing me out. We have to do better than this next year.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

damram wrote: 1 year ago I wonder how many hot dogs were sold.
I got 2
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I listen to the varsity stream and watch ESPN+
Yep, tried that last nite, mine was not synced perfect, but close enough, the kids are wearing me out. We have to do better than this next year.
It's easy to sync if you coordinated the start times.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

We were one or two bounces away from a 3-1 record in the A-10.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

The two bonehead shots in the last three minutes turned it sour for me. Huge turning points in SB's rally. Lucky to get out with the win after them.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago

That's hilarious....there couldn't have been 2,000 actually there
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Imo there was way more then 2000 actual fans in seats. By far alot more people in seats then the Fordham game.
2 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Yeah. Don’t necessarily agree with the comment about bad games. Freeman’s shot wasn’t falling, but it was his best game as a floor general in my opinion. Carey was a bit cold from the field but he remained aggressive and got to the line. I look at Carey in a similar lens as Stan. You need a little swag out there… value may not always come in points.

Although his stats didn’t jump out at you, I think Samb also played a good game defensively. It looked like SBU’s game plan was to pound the ball into Venning most possessions. That dude is a house…6’10, 270. It was a war down low, but Samb continued to battle and scrap every time down the floor. Most of Vennings points were against AT. Commendable effort.
3 x
- Mr. Rogers
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Also, I don’t think Ish gets enough credit on the boards. Very impressive. He, Martin, Carey and Weston have easily got to be our top 4 rebounders. Average height of 6’4?
1 x
- Mr. Rogers
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Not even 4772 tickets were sold. The attendance figures should never be used. Probably about 1700-1800 people. Even during successful years Jan is a terrible attendance month.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

SandorClegane wrote: 1 year ago Also, I don’t think Ish gets enough credit on the boards. Very impressive. He, Martin, Carey and Weston have easily got to be our top 4 rebounders. Average height of 6’4?
I do think our wings and guards are good rebounders for their size, but I still think that our frontcourt being so poor at rebounding probably inflates their totals a bit. We're second in the A-10 in rebounds per game though, so overall, it's not a team weakness. It's just that it could probably be a stronger strength, if we were getting anything out of the 5 spot.

Again though, the fact that we're (overall) good at rebounding despite not having some Dennis Rodman or Danny Fortson type is probably a good sign. We're playing better fundamental basketball than last year in some ways - free throw percentage is up 11 points, turnovers per game level - and we've "only" slipped 30 spots in offensive rating, despite a clear downgrade in talent across the roster. (Whatever you thought of the Mitchells, Walker, Sheppard, they had skills - just utilized and supplemented improperly.) With some improvement from the existing guys, and an infusion of better talent, it's not too hard to imagine how the team would be good.
4 x