1/7 | La Salle | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/7 | La Salle | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs La Salle University
Tom Gola Arena, Philadelphia, PA
Saturday, January 7, 2023
2:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews
La Salle Fan Forum

After ringing in the new year with a home conference win, Rhody heads to Philly to take on the La Salle Explorers. La Salle, who was picked to finish 14th in the conference just ahead of Duquesne, comes in with a 6-8 record & somehow has only played 1 conference game so far. I know the A10 schedule is a bit wacky with an odd number of teams with the addition of Loyola, but how has La Salle only played 1 conference game while a handful of teams have already played 3. La Salle’s best win of the season is at Penn; other than that they lost they games you would assume they’d lose (Villanova, Wake Forest, Temple, etc) & beat the teams you would assume they’d beat (Queens, Binghamton, Howard, etc).

Leading the Explorer is sophomore guard Khalil Brantley, who is leading the team in both points & assists, 13.9 & 3.8 respectively. The teams other double-digit scorer is senior Josh Nickelberry. This former Louisville guard is averaging 12 points per game & is their best three-point shooter. Downlow, they have the Drame twins, Fousseyni & Hassan. The Explorer’s version of the Mitchell twins, they both were at St Peter’s to start their collegiate career before transferring to La Salle during the off season. Fousseyni starts while Hassan is their 6th man off the bench. The Explorers aren’t a big team besides Rokas Jocius & don’t have any prolific shot blockers, so Rhody could have potential success downlow…especially is Samb is hitting those little free throw jumpers like he did against Fordham.

If Rhody can play like they did on Wednesday night, they should be able to pick up the road win. Bray didn’t necessarily shoot the ball well but excelled in every other aspect of them game against Fordham. I also want to give a shoutout to Bassy who inexplicably led the team in rebounds against Fordham with 7 in just 22 minutes of play. The Explorers do average 1.5 less turnovers than Rhody per game but it has been trending in the right direction for the Rams as of late. If Rhody can limit some of the scoring droughts and not shit the bed from the charity stripe like they did last year when they shot an appalling 9 for 22, I think they get the win.

Rhody comes into this game with an eight-game winning streak against the Explorers & winners of 12 of the last 13. Against La Salle, the Rams also have a 6-game road win streak & winners of 9 of the last 11 at Tom Gola Arena. Given La Salle is at home, I think they will be favored by about 2.5 in this one. If you are looking to put a little action on the game buy aren’t feeling this game spread wise, might I suggest looking at the race to 10 points in the first half for URI. I have enjoyed doing this all season & Rhody has won 6 of the last 8 times. My prediction is URI 71 – La Salle 67. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
6-8, 0-1 in the A10
11-19, 5-13 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 293 (247)
RPI: 240 (259)
KenPom: 260 (205)
BPI: 251 (238)
Sagarin: 249 (203)
Barttovik: 272 (202)

Leaders:
Points – Khalil Brantley 13.9 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – Fousseyni Drame 4.9 (Sr., F)
Assists – Khalil Brantley 13.9 3.8 (Soph., G) (2.8 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 33-9
H: 13-4, A: 16-5, N: 4-0
Most Recent Matchup: 1/19/22 56-54 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 8 - URI
Match-up Predictor: 38.5% Chance of URI Winning
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/7 | La Salle | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Even though we haven't won a true road game yet, this should be our easiest test this season on an opposing team's court.

I expect us to pull out a victory here.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agreed, Jersey. Despite being a road game, I think we win this game and we continue to stay out of the A10 basement.

Thanks again for the write-up, Spooky.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would not go as far as predict a Rhody win in any game given how bad our team is. LaSalle is however just as bad if not worse. This makes this game the best opportunity of the schedule for a road A-10 win.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I would not go as far as predict a Rhody win in any game given how bad our team is. LaSalle is however just as bad if not worse. This makes this game the best opportunity of the schedule for a road A-10 win.
We're weaponized inconsistency. There are as many reasons we could win any A10 game as there are reason we could lose them.

The 2nd best team we've had in 25 years lost to a .500 La Salle team, and then a 13 win Fordham team.

That's why they play the games!
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If they could play consistent good ball like in the 1st 10 minutes of both halves against Fordham, this team would be a lot better than what we have seen.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

re: Bassy's rebounding, I think it's one of those weird side effects of having such poor and/or undersized rebounders at the 4 and 5. ESPN's schedule page for URI has a list of who led each game in rebounding. Samb (1), Tchikou (1) and Bilau (2) have combined for the lead in four games. Malik Martin leads the team with six games. He's a good rebounder, but typically, you don't want your 3, sometimes stretch 4 to be the guy with that distinction. Some of it is a function of Martin playing more minutes, but even by rebounds per 40, it goes Bilau (10.2), Tchikou (9.6), Martin (8.3), with Samb in eighth.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago re: Bassy's rebounding, I think it's one of those weird side effects of having such poor and/or undersized rebounders at the 4 and 5. ESPN's schedule page for URI has a list of who led each game in rebounding. Samb (1), Tchikou (1) and Bilau (2) have combined for the lead in four games. Malik Martin leads the team with six games. He's a good rebounder, but typically, you don't want your 3, sometimes stretch 4 to be the guy with that distinction. Some of it is a function of Martin playing more minutes, but even by rebounds per 40, it goes Bilau (10.2), Tchikou (9.6), Martin (8.3), with Samb in eighth.
I love how we have our very own Billy Beane always hitting us with the analytics. (Not sarcastic)
2 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Two of Bassy's rebounds were from hustling and following his own shot. He also had that play diving for a loose ball right in front of the Rhody bench. I loved the way he played last night. He played hard.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings now has, their #203 ranked and #12 ranked A-10 Rams with 43% chance to beat their #230 ranked Explorers.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

KenPom has this as a 1-pt Rhody win (69-68)
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Two of Bassy's rebounds were from hustling and following his own shot. He also had that play diving for a loose ball right in front of the Rhody bench. I loved the way he played last night. He played hard.
Thomas' 7 rebounds in only 22 minutes were highest for URI and 2nd only to Tsimbila of Fordham with 12
Thomas was all over the floor and is key to the ball moving nicely. Passing is improving on this team. Freeman's 8 assists were his high for the year exceeding the 6 he had against Army

Seeing a lot less dribbling as compared to the past 4 years. Many passes are being made with the ball never hitting the floor. You can see the impact of this coaching staff already.

Thomas came up big going 3-3 FTs. He has now missed only 1 FT since November 22 (KSU Game was Nov 21), having gone 8-9 with several in clutch situations.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Two of Bassy's rebounds were from hustling and following his own shot. He also had that play diving for a loose ball right in front of the Rhody bench. I loved the way he played last night. He played hard.
That driving euro step layup was awesome !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
That driving euro step layup was awesome !!
Absolutely.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago re: Bassy's rebounding, I think it's one of those weird side effects of having such poor and/or undersized rebounders at the 4 and 5. ESPN's schedule page for URI has a list of who led each game in rebounding. Samb (1), Tchikou (1) and Bilau (2) have combined for the lead in four games. Malik Martin leads the team with six games. He's a good rebounder, but typically, you don't want your 3, sometimes stretch 4 to be the guy with that distinction. Some of it is a function of Martin playing more minutes, but even by rebounds per 40, it goes Bilau (10.2), Tchikou (9.6), Martin (8.3), with Samb in eighth.
Bassy is a great rebounder because he’s a terrible shooter and follows his shot. I wish there was an “own rebound” stat because he would own that.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Bassy is a great rebounder because he’s a terrible shooter and follows his shot. I wish there was an “own rebound” stat because he would own that.
He has only 4 offensive rebounds for the entire season and 2 of those came in the Fordham game.

He has 27 defensive rebounds

Thomas has also hit 8 of his last 9 FTs going back to November 22
He hit 3-3 against Fordham
5CD7AB87-3F7D-4A09-AD70-A3D7E7558464.jpeg
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
He has only 4 offensive rebounds for the entire season and 2 of those came in the Fordham game.

He has 27 defensive rebounds

Thomas has also hit 8 of his last 9 FTs going back to November 22
He hit 3-3 against Fordham

5CD7AB87-3F7D-4A09-AD70-A3D7E7558464.jpeg
This is actually shocking to me. It's definitely recentcy bias because my buddy and I saw it happen twice in the Fordham game so I made the assumption based on that.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I think we can win this game. But I wonder if Archie took 72's advice and called Billy Lange. We need to learn his methods FAST. He's one of the most successful college coaches in the entire country. Let's hope he's willing to give Archie a few minutes.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Billy Lange to Texas?

Pay da man!

:lol:
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we win 70-66
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The game will come down to how well we shoot on the road. We should be able to play tough defense against LaSalle. We need to play with confidence and our shooters cannot hesitate on taking open treys. If we draw LaSalle out, Freeman should have room to drive to the hole. Taking open shots will improve our percentage and get us more possessions. Stay away from forced offense late in the shot clock. I hope Archie continues to give Rory a chance to start dropping bombs. Bassy earns his PT every game with his hustle. Go Rhody.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I like URI in this game win by 3.....Rory just shoot the ball!!!! During warmups he is all net!!!
78-75
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I like URI in this game win by 3.....Rory just shoot the ball!!!! During warmups he is all net!!!
78-75
Ah yes, the annual “looks good in warmups” post. Gotta love it.

He has shot the ball in games. It rarely goes in.
0 x
Go Rhody
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

i just want to say beggars can not be choosers so if he can hit them in warmup let him shoot during the games...someone needs to sink some 3's

By the way...there are some starters who shot the ball during games and it rarely goes in
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjv wrote: 1 year ago i just want to say beggars can not be choosers so if he can hit them in warmup let him shoot during the games...someone needs to sink some 3's

By the way...there are some starters who shot the ball during games and it rarely goes in
"some"?
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
rjv wrote: 1 year ago I like URI in this game win by 3.....Rory just shoot the ball!!!! During warmups he is all net!!!
78-75

He looks very slow and not very athletic to me. His is supposed to be able to shoot, but never hits any shots. It feels like he should be in junior college or a lower level of college basketball. I hope I’m wrong, but it doesn’t feel like he has the talent to make a big impact.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

78-75

The best shooter in the history of our program (Jimmy Baron) shot 36% from 3 his freshman year. Well below his career average. He then spent an offseason with Rhody72 and the rest is history. Net net it’s normal for good shooters to struggle FR year.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
78-75

He looks very slow and not very athletic to me. His is supposed to be able to shoot, but never hits any shots. It feels like he should be in junior college or a lower level of college basketball. I hope I’m wrong, but it doesn’t feel like he has the talent to make a big impact.
Someone on the staff needs to get some chickens and have Rory chase them around the parking lot to improve his foot speed. Ya know, like Rocky did. :lol:
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
78-75

The best shooter in the history of our program (Jimmy Baron) shot 36% from 3 his freshman year. Well below his career average. He then spent an offseason with Rhody72 and the rest is history. Net net it’s normal for good shooters to struggle FR year.
…You’re acting like 36% from 3 is bad?

That is a good percentage, if any player shot 36% from 3 in a season every coach in America would take that.

Stewart is shooting 13%, looks slow, 3 steps behind the play, and just completely overwhelmed.

We all agree Four McGlynn was a good shooter for us. He shot 34.7% from 3.
1 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

That is a good percentage, if any player shot 36% from 3 in a season every coach in America would take that.

Stewart is shooting 13%, looks slow, 3 steps behind the play, and just completely overwhelmed.

Four would get 25 a night with this team
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s not bad but it’s well below his career average of 44%
Just was to illustrate that shooters can get off to slower starts and Rory isn’t Jimmy so the floor is much lower. Doesn’t mean he can’t turn into an above average shooter in time. He’s not physically ready for this level but 6’9” guys that can shoot are a huge asset so I’m guessing the staff will have patience with him.

He needs to get stronger and work on foot speed and explosiveness in offseason.
2 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

We need Sophie Phillips and Dolly Cairns to teach our team how to shoot 3s.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

After watching us play Duquesne and Fordham, my lofty "goal" is for URI to win 50% of its A10 game. To approach this performance level, we need more offensive output and tenacious defense. In competitive games we need to stick to an 8 player rotation.
C: Samb or Alex
F: Two of Ish, Malik, Wes or Rory *Ish or Malik needs to be on the court at all times"
PG: Bray or Bassy
X: Play an additional C:, F: or PG: depending upon situation and opponent.

Roles
C: rebounding, put backs, short open shots
F: outside shooting and one or both crashing the boards
PG: penetrating for lay-ups and Bray shooting on occasion

We need to avoid half-court offensive situations.
We must force opponents into half-court offensive situations. Two back after missed shots.
Shoot early when open to reduce turnovers and improve FG%.

With regard to Rory, the only reason AM would be playing him in competitive games is that he is showing a good shooting touch in practice. Give him a chance to become as effective in game situations.

If you are a shooter and you miss three shots in a row, you must believe that you are going to make the next three. Shooters can't have a conscience. If you are open, then shoot.

If the team FG% is low, you can make up for this by taking more shots than your opponent. Reboubd abd get after loose balls. Bassy's specialty!.

URI players should enjoy playing this way.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Got it, should go in a memo straight to Archie.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago After watching us play Duquesne and Fordham, my lofty "goal" is for URI to win 50% of its A10 game. To approach this performance level, we need more offensive output and tenacious defense. In competitive games we need to stick to an 8 player rotation.
C: Samb or Alex
F: I Two of Ish, Malik, Wes or Rory *Ish or Malik needs to be on the court at all times"
PG: Bray or Bassy
X: Play an additional C:, F: or PG: depending upon situation and opponent.

Roles
C: rebounding, put backs, short open shots
F: outside shooting and one or both crashing the boards
PG: penetrating for lay-ups and Bray shooting on occasion

We need to avoid half-court offensive situations.
We must force opponents into half-court offensive situations. Two back after missed shots.
Shoot early when open to reduce turnovers and improve FG%.

With regard to Rory, the only reason AM would be playing him in competitive games is that he is showing a good shooting touch in practice. Give him a chance to become as effective in game situations.

If you are a shooter and you miss three shots in a row, you must believe that you are going to make the next three. Shooters can't have a conscience. If you are open, then shoot.

If the team FG% is low, you can make up for this by taking more shots than your opponent. Reboubd abd get after loose balls. Bassy's specialty!.

URI players should enjoy playing this way.
Who is your 8 man rotation that you say to “stick with?” What I read in your above is:
Center
Samb
Tchikou

Forward
Leggett
Martin
Weston
Stewart

Point Guard
Freeman
Thomas

No mention of Carey
Did I read it right?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just was to illustrate that shooters can get off to slower starts and Rory isn’t Jimmy so the floor is much lower. Doesn’t mean he can’t turn into an above average shooter in time. He’s not physically ready for this level but 6’9” guys that can shoot are a huge asset so I’m guessing the staff will have patience with him.

Would love for him to turn into a poor man’s Horchler, although Horchler was very productive his first two years at North Florida.
0 x
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Carey has helped this team a lot, even though stats don't necessarily show it. Mentioning Stewart and not Carey? I'll assume it's just an oversight.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Would love for him to turn into a poor man’s Horchler, although Horchler was very productive his first two years at North Florida.
Is he really 6'9? He seems shorter than that to me. Horchler was much quicker. Stewart could develop into a stretch 4 but he's not ready yet, IMO.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago

Is he really 6'9? He seems shorter than that to me. Horchler was much quicker. Stewart could develop into a stretch 4 but he's not ready yet, IMO.
He’s listed as 6’8” and 230 lbs.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago Carey has helped this team a lot, even though stats don't necessarily show it. Mentioning Stewart and not Carey? I'll assume it's just an oversight.
If you’re referring to me, I’ve been in Carey’s camp since Day 1.

And the stats definitely show it.

One of the most consistent players we have.
0 x
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago Carey has helped this team a lot, even though stats don't necessarily show it. Mentioning Stewart and not Carey? I'll assume it's just an oversight.
If you’re referring to me, I’ve been in Carey’s camp since Day 1.

And the stats definitely show it.

One of the most consistent players we have.
no R15, R72's post is what i am referencing.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agreed. Think that’s a great comp to strive for. Ways to go but not impossible IMO.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Stewart's shot takes forever to develop, probably a full three count, plenty of time for any average ball player to close on him from 15 feet away, it also comes from his chest, like he actually has all day to shoot. He may be able to help in spurts but unless he works on getting the ball higher and shooting faster he won't be impactful from range.
1 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Agreed. Think that’s a great comp to strive for. Ways to go but not impossible IMO.
Unfortunately, Rory currently reminds me more of Mike Aaman.

Rory is still very raw and only a true freshman, so we can still see major improvement from him.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Game day! Yes!

Cease the day, Rhody! Let’s gooooooo
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Great news: We win today, and we are only a half game out of first!

Reality…but then, so could about 5 other teams, if they win.

I tried. Sorry ECR.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Running Ram wrote: 1 year ago Stewart's shot takes forever to develop, probably a full three count, plenty of time for any average ball player to close on him from 15 feet away, it also comes from his chest, like he actually has all day to shoot. He may be able to help in spurts but unless he works on getting the ball higher and shooting faster he won't be impactful from range.
To make a bizarro comparison, I worry that Stewart is going to be Tyrese Sullivan. Both guys shot fine in HS, and even in warm-ups, but it didn't translate to D-I game action. In Sullivan's case, he was so short and not quick enough at the D-I level to ever really get enough separation for his shot. With Stewart, the shooting motion and foot speed just seems so slow. It works against HS kids who can't contest your shot anyway, but maybe not so much at the D-I level. That being said, he does have the size to be a banger down low, if he can refocus his game in that direction.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m fully expecting a Rhody win today !!

LaSalle lost to a 2-11 team by 26 ??
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If memory serves me right get ready for a horrendous Lasalle broadcast crew.
0 x