A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by bigappleram »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago I don't get your mentioning UMass and their football because that is irrelevant to the non FBS football Big East. And who are the non FBS schools that the Big East adds that meets your shooting higher criterion?
I only mention Umass bc in the general realignment talk they are an FBS football school that wants to join a conference, and if they got better could be compelling for someone to consider adding down the line. Obv has no implications on the BE aspect of this convo.

In terms of the BE it really is just Gonzaga that is out there. Maybe a Wichita State but they have fallen off. I just don't think an SLU or VCU is all that attractive to the BE. Dayton has P6 resources and attendance and IMO the only real program worth thinking about for them.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yikes if URI went to that "New CAA" for basketball lol. Pigs fly before that's happening. URI's only option to move is the Big East and that's not happening either.
2 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago I'm not passing judgement on my crystal ball. But in looking at geography and athletic department similarities, this wouldn't be far-fetched to keep in mind. Some schools would have to "up" their basketball budget, facilities, etc. to be competitive.

The "New" Colonial Athletic Association (basketball/football schools)
NORTH: UNH, Maine, URI, Albany, Stony Brook, UMASS (comes back down from 1A), Monmouth, Villanova (football only)
SOUTH: Richmond, Delaware, Elon, William & Mary, Hampton, Towson, Davidson

The "New" A10:
LaSalle, St. Bona, GW, GMU, St. Joe's, Fordham, Loyola, Duquesne, Drexel, Hofstra

Off to the Big East:
Dayton
St. Louis
VCU

URI has no leverage in any future realignment. Don't want to be left out when the music stops.
Looks like a lot of buy games in that new CAA conference. How would Rhody afford that many buy games?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we end up in a hoops conf with Maine Albany and Stony Brook I will be pissed
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago I'm not passing judgement on my crystal ball. But in looking at geography and athletic department similarities, this wouldn't be far-fetched to keep in mind. Some schools would have to "up" their basketball budget, facilities, etc. to be competitive.

NORTH: UNH, Maine, URI, Albany, Stony Brook, UMASS (comes back down from 1A), Monmouth, Villanova (football only)

The "New" A10:
LaSalle, St. Bona, GW, GMU, St. Joe's, Fordham, Loyola, Duquesne, Drexel, Hofstra

Off to the Big East:
Dayton
St. Louis
VCU

URI has no leverage in any future realignment. Don't want to be left out when the music stops.
Looks like a lot of buy games in that new CAA conference. How would Rhody afford that many buy games?

In this fantasy world where that has 0.0% chance of happening, we’d be the ones getting bought by bigger programs.
0 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Yikes if URI went to that "New CAA" for basketball lol. Pigs fly before that's happening. URI's only option to move is the Big East and that's not happening either.
An option is only an option for URI if it's presented to them. The Big East is not knocking on URI's door. Not an option. Ever. Again, URI has no leverage and beggars can't be choosers. So you can be snobby and think that UNH, Maine, and Albany are all beneath URI all you want...but URI may be living in the same neighborhood as those schools at some point in the future.

St. Louis to the Big East. Typical Big East school. Big city market, basketball-centered school. (Just like Xavier, Butler, Marquette)
Dayton to the Big East. I don't think Xavier has veto power over this. They're a relative newcomer to the league. They don't get to determine the conference's future. If the majority were to vote for Dayton, they're in.
VCU to the Big East. This is a little tougher fit. Smaller city but still Richmond is a good size. (It's bigger than Dayton.) They have a great tradition, beautiful arena, and are basketball-centric. Virginia is a great recruiting area.

Conferences should be formed on commonalities: enrollment, athletics, budget, university missions, geography, etc. (URI has nothing in common with LaSalle and St. Bonaventure other than basketball history.)
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

The "New" A10:

Off to the Big East:
Dayton
St. Louis
VCU

In this fantasy world where that has 0.0% chance of happening, we’d be the ones getting bought by bigger programs.
Just like it was 0% that UCLA, USC, and Maryland would join the Big Ten. And 0% chance that WVU would join the Big 12. You have a crystal ball that predicts things with 100% certainty? Didn't think so.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Someone should have told the AD that URI is a basketball school and not a football school.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

First, most of this stuff will take years to play out. Even now the momentous move of USC and UCLA is being fought on many levels including political ones.

Second, most here are discounting the influence of the media outlets, so what I think is irrelevant to what Fox is thinking and much of that continues to evolve. PC has an advantage over URI because the TV payoff for the Big East is larger than the A-10. The initial BE/Fox deal covered 12 years, ending and ends in 2025. That agreement was for $500 million rising to $600 if the league expanded to 12 teams which explains why the later addition of UConn took nothing away from the other members. The current deal gives each BE school a $4-5 million annual payoff. The expectation is that any new deal beyond 2025 would give each school $10 million per year. That may appear lucrative, but just compare that to the expected Big Ten deal which is forecasted to be worth about $80 million per school. Fox Sports will have great influence over any BE expansion.

Three, a larger conference offers more pairings, but more important is that a larger conference offers more critical pairings. In TV, it's the winners that get to play on TV more often because big games draw more viewers. While it is a question of branding, it is also a question of winning. And this is good news for URI because it offsets the contention of URI detractors that URI cannot make it to the BE because the school lacks "buzz". What is important is the reality of today's TV market and the fact that URI has experienced erratic success in the past is irrelevant if they enter Omaha to play Creighton sporting a 22-2 record and are ranked #9 in the country.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago First, most of this stuff will take years to play out. Even now the momentous move of USC and UCLA is being fought on many levels including political ones.

Second, most here are discounting the influence of the media outlets, so what I think is irrelevant to what Fox is thinking and much of that continues to evolve. PC has an advantage over URI because the TV payoff for the Big East is larger than the A-10. The initial BE/Fox deal covered 12 years, ending and ends in 2025. That agreement was for $500 million rising to $600 if the league expanded to 12 teams which explains why the later addition of UConn took nothing away from the other members. The current deal gives each BE school a $4-5 million annual payoff. The expectation is that any new deal beyond 2025 would give each school $10 million per year. That may appear lucrative, but just compare that to the expected Big Ten deal which is forecasted to be worth about $80 million per school. Fox Sports will have great influence over any BE expansion.

Three, a larger conference offers more pairings, but more important is that a larger conference offers more critical pairings. In TV, it's the winners that get to play on TV more often because big games draw more viewers. While it is a question of branding, it is also a question of winning. And this is good news for URI because it offsets the contention of URI detractors that URI cannot make it to the BE because the school lacks "buzz". What is important is the reality of today's TV market and the fact that URI has experienced erratic success in the past is irrelevant if they enter Omaha to play Creighton sporting a 22-2 record and are ranked #9 in the country.
Yes, it takes years. But the USC and UCLA move is a done deal.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... conditions

TV markets and TV eyeballs. The Big East has PC in the Rhode Island market. URI doesn't add enough eyeballs. And URI's erratic success is relevant. They're not Gonzaga, VCU. People in Omaha can't find Rhode Island on a map. URI barely has buzz beyond Kent and South County, unfortunately. That's the reality. The Big East (and URI) are seated at the little kids table. The Big Ten is at the adult table.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Yes, this. As much as we all love Ole State U, the realty is URI brings nothing to the table for the BE. Hard for lots of us the understand, but that is the reality.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago Obadiah stated what I am thinking, but not sure how it will all play out. The A10 is in a really bad position. The first tier is the big 6, including any future additions/modifications. That process has only begun; USC and UCLA were the first dominos of many that will fall. When everything shakes out the A10 may not be attractive and URI will look for a conference that accommodates all their sports with less travel for the smaller programs
USC and UCLA were not even close to being the first dominos to fall.

Conference realignment has been going on for a while.
Jeez 15 you don’t think I know that??? This USC/UCLA thing is the beginning of the next wave of changes.

I consider the B10 move as a new wave as they have taken aim at the PAC 12 and that is new ground. The SEC has been absorbing B12 schools for a while now
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago

People in Omaha can't find Rhode Island on a map. URI barely has buzz beyond Kent and South County, unfortunately.
True story. I was in a shop at the airport in Costa Rica a few years ago...as I'm cashing out, the lady says, "where in the US are you from?"
I said, "Rhode Island." She says, "Oh, nice! What state is that in?"
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I was in Zurich, Switzerland before the pandemic and entered a gift shop and on the wall was a photo of "Nibbles" the Blue Big on I-95 in Providence. The shop owner knew all about it and where it was located. He said it was a perfect example of kitsch art.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Yikes if URI went to that "New CAA" for basketball lol. Pigs fly before that's happening. URI's only option to move is the Big East and that's not happening either.
An option is only an option for URI if it's presented to them. The Big East is not knocking on URI's door. Not an option. Ever. Again, URI has no leverage and beggars can't be choosers. So you can be snobby and think that UNH, Maine, and Albany are all beneath URI all you want...but URI may be living in the same neighborhood as those schools at some point in the future.

St. Louis to the Big East. Typical Big East school. Big city market, basketball-centered school. (Just like Xavier, Butler, Marquette)
Dayton to the Big East. I don't think Xavier has veto power over this. They're a relative newcomer to the league. They don't get to determine the conference's future. If the majority were to vote for Dayton, they're in.
VCU to the Big East. This is a little tougher fit. Smaller city but still Richmond is a good size. (It's bigger than Dayton.) They have a great tradition, beautiful arena, and are basketball-centric. Virginia is a great recruiting area.

Conferences should be formed on commonalities: enrollment, athletics, budget, university missions, geography, etc. (URI has nothing in common with LaSalle and St. Bonaventure other than basketball history.)
Let me see if I got this right, UNH which plays in high school gym, has had two winning seasons in the last 20+ years, has average attendance for those 20+ years just above 500 per game, but URI will be living in that same neighborhood as UNH at some point in the future. Did I get that right?

Let's hear it for being snobby!!

This prediction reminds me of a sign RhodyJay once held up at an UNH game : University of No Hoops. BTW, don't we miss those RhodyJay signs especially the one showing Cooley eating a massive NY System weiner!!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

People in Omaha can't find Rhode Island on a map. URI barely has buzz beyond Kent and South County, unfortunately.
True story. I was in a shop at the airport in Costa Rica a few years ago...as I'm cashing out, the lady says, "where in the US are you from?"
I said, "Rhode Island." She says, "Oh, nice! What state is that in?"
I mean, I wouldn’t expect a lot of people in Costa Rica to know where Rhode Island is.

People on Long Island don’t know where Rhode Island is.
0 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago

Let me see if I got this right, UNH which plays in high school gym, has had two winning seasons in the last 20+ years, has average attendance for those 20+ years just above 500 per game, but URI will be living in that same neighborhood as UNH at some point in the future. Did I get that right?

This prediction reminds me of a sign RhodyJay once held up at an UNH game : University of No Hoops. BTW, don't we miss those RhodyJay signs especially the one showing Cooley eating a massive NY System weiner!!
Well from what I hear, URI's crowd could've fit in a high school gym last night.

News flash...despite their basketball histories, URI has more in common as a university with UNH than it does with LaSalle or Fordham.

Let me see if I got this right...UNH averaged over 9,400 fans for football games this fall. URI averaged less than half that at about 4,500. Did I get that right?

What do they say about people living in glass houses?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

UNH may appear similar on the surface - due to being a state U in the same part of the country - but, I don’t believe they have a world class engineering program, world class pharmacy program, world class marine biology and marine engineering program, nationally respected nurses program. Imho, if you look closely, they aren’t very similar beyond the superficial.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago UNH may appear similar on the surface - due to being a state U in the same part of the country - but, I don’t believe they have a world class engineering program, world class pharmacy program, world class marine biology and engineering program, nationally respected nurses program. Imho, if you look closely, they aren’t very similar beyond the superficial.
I'm not saying that every academic department is equal. Northwestern doesn't have an Ag department...Illinois does. Michigan doesn't have Turf Management...Michigan State does.

The fact is those Big Ten schools have a lot in common. So too does UNH and URI, as much as you don't want to admit it. (UNH athletic budget at $30 million, URI at $28 million...both rough numbers) US News & World Report...

URI 170 out of 389 nationally among national universities. (83/209 out of public universities)
UNH 143 out of 389. (65/209)

So I don't think URI can claim the academic high ground over UNH.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

US News & World Report is a bad way to judge universities, and it's nice that people are starting to realize it
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago UNH may appear similar on the surface - due to being a state U in the same part of the country - but, I don’t believe they have a world class engineering program, world class pharmacy program, world class marine biology and engineering program, nationally respected nurses program. Imho, if you look closely, they aren’t very similar beyond the superficial.
I'm not saying that every academic department is equal. Northwestern doesn't have an Ag department...Illinois does. Michigan doesn't have Turf Management...Michigan State does.

The fact is those Big Ten schools have a lot in common. So too does UNH and URI, as much as you don't want to admit it. (UNH athletic budget at $30 million, URI at $28 million...both rough numbers) US News & World Report...

URI 170 out of 389 nationally among national universities. (83/209 out of public universities)
UNH 143 out of 389. (65/209)

So I don't think URI can claim the academic high ground over UNH.
[/quote

I can in those areas I mentioned. And, will continue to do so. As I said, superficial similarities. Not the same beyond the superficial. Different, not better.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Well from what I hear, URI's crowd could've fit in a high school gym last night.

News flash...despite their basketball histories, URI has more in common as a university with UNH than it does with LaSalle or Fordham.

Let me see if I got this right...UNH averaged over 9,400 fans for football games this fall. URI averaged less than half that at about 4,500. Did I get that right?

What do they say about people living in glass houses?

When you don't have a good defense for your statement you resort to references that are irrelevant to the subject at hand which was basketball programs and NOT academics or the UNH football program. Defend what you said based on basketball the subject of this forum. I'll be standing by.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ob, for purposes of full disclosure I engaged him on his off topic point beyond basketball that drew him further off topic.

That said, I agree with you and the point stands that the two universities are different in relation to basketball: the level of institutional support, the level of interest (despite fluctuations in attendance), history, pride, facilities, goals, etc, and therefore, not compatible from a conference standpoint for the sport of men’s college basketball.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Ob, for purposes of full disclosure I engaged him on his off topic point beyond basketball that drew him further off topic.

That said, I agree with you and the point stands that the two universities are different in relation to basketball: the level of institutional support, the level of interest (despite fluctuations in attendance), history, pride, facilities, goals, etc, and therefore, not compatible from a conference standpoint for the sport of men’s college basketball.
Thanks, but you are to blame since he should've differentiated his responses between the content you brought up versus the one I did. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and I always welcome an open and civil dialogue, but probably because of my work, I am biased towards facts. Sometimes when I express an impromptu opinion and go back and check the knowledge base and find it doesn't support my point, then I will change my opinion. I'm a fact based person.

As for the reference of moving to the same neighborhood as UNH, at URI basketball is the premier program and has to be supported on all fronts. UNH may have a better football program than URI, but the difference between the two schools is not large significant. Not true of basketball programs where the difference is more of a chasm. URI will always be in the same football league as UNH, but that is not case with basketball. If I am wrong in that view, it will be because UNH makes a complete transformation upward in their program and certainly NOT because URI descends to their level.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Ob, for purposes of full disclosure I engaged him on his off topic point beyond basketball that drew him further off topic.

Thanks, but you are to blame since he should've differentiated his responses between the content you brought up versus the one I did. Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and I always welcome an open and civil dialogue, but probably because of my work, I am biased towards facts. Sometimes when I express an impromptu opinion and go back and check the knowledge base and find it doesn't support my point, then I will change my opinion. I'm a fact based person.

As for the reference of moving to the same neighborhood as UNH, at URI basketball is the premier program and has to be supported on all fronts. UNH may have a better football program than URI, but the difference between the two schools is not large significant. Not true of basketball programs where the difference is more of a chasm. URI will always be in the same football league as UNH, but that is not case with basketball. If I am wrong in that view, it will be because UNH makes a complete transformation upward in their program and certainly NOT because URI descends to their level.
Pretty small arena UNH plays in. Lundholm Gym Holds only 3000 for Badketball.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Agreed. URI and UNH basketball programs are in different spheres. No argument. But as universities and overall athletic departments, they are more similar than dissimilar. I like facts too.

I have provided facts (the US News & World Report rankings). I didn't claim that they are the be-all, end-all of comparisons. And you can have your opinion on how relevant they are. To a lot of people, they are. It's a starting point by a 3rd party, not by an individual posting an opinion on a message board. Somebody posted about the superiority of URI's pharmacy, oceanography, etc. programs. And I agree on that. URI has great programs, like a lot of universities. But that doesn't mean UNH doesn't have strengths either. And so Joe UNH-fan out there may beg to differ about how much superior URI is compared to UNH.

UNH has big-time hockey, although they stink this year. And their football program has been historically stronger than URI's. Perhaps if UNH joined a stronger basketball league (like one with URI, UMASS, Davidson, Richmond, etc.), then UNH would be incentivized to improve its basketball facilities, coaching budget, etc.

I see a statement that "URI will always be in the same football league as UNH." Just like they're in the same Yankee Conference with UCONN and UMASS from 1982, right?

Bottom line...nobody knows anything for certainty. If you claim you do, then you should let us know where we can all buy the crystal ball that you use.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Agreed. URI and UNH basketball programs are in different spheres. No argument. But as universities and overall athletic departments, they are more similar than dissimilar. I like facts too.

I have provided facts (the US News & World Report rankings). I didn't claim that they are the be-all, end-all of comparisons. And you can have your opinion on how relevant they are. To a lot of people, they are. It's a starting point by a 3rd party, not by an individual posting an opinion on a message board. Somebody posted about the superiority of URI's pharmacy, oceanography, etc. programs. And I agree on that. URI has great programs, like a lot of universities. But that doesn't mean UNH doesn't have strengths either. And so Joe UNH-fan out there may beg to differ about how much superior URI is compared to UNH.

UNH has big-time hockey, although they stink this year. And their football program has been historically stronger than URI's. Perhaps if UNH joined a stronger basketball league (like one with URI, UMASS, Davidson, Richmond, etc.), then UNH would be incentivized to improve its basketball facilities, coaching budget, etc.

I see a statement that "URI will always be in the same football league as UNH." Just like they're in the same Yankee Conference with UCONN and UMASS from 1982, right?

Bottom line...nobody knows anything for certainty. If you claim you do, then you should let us know where we can all buy the crystal ball that you use.
By your logic, Holy Cross should be in the NBE.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

By your logic, Holy Cross should be in the NBE.
Is there a time limit on the original invitation?

The core of the Big East formed when Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, and Syracuse invited Seton Hall, Connecticut (UConn), Holy Cross, Rutgers, and Boston College (BC). Holy Cross turned down the invitation, as did Rutgers initially, while BC, Seton Hall, and UConn accepted.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Kinda funny that 2 of our 5 wins are against teams with a combined 25-4 record. Moreso illustrates the horrendous scheduling of UM Lowell and Fordham.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

No crystal ball here. Although, I did play Karnak the Magnificent (Johnny Carson Tonight Show reference) for a skit when I was haunting the Rhody campus back in the early 80’s. :lol:

I’ll have to test out my Karnak clairvoyant skills….Rhody for the A10 Championship Tourney win! Ooops, must have crossed wires with ECR. :shock:

Being on KB jogs some good memories. Great times. Gotta love Rhody.

Good discussion. Carry on.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Back to the A10…In all my years, I can’t remember a year where the conference was this bad across the board (granted my memory isn’t what it used to be) where the conference essentially has one, single borderline NCAA Tourney level team (Dayton, when they are healthy).

I hope it’s just a series of bad but temporary breaks.

Brutal.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Back to the A10…In all my years, I can’t remember a year where the conference was this bad across the board (granted my memory isn’t what it used to be) where the conference essentially has one, single borderline NCAA Tourney level team (Dayton, when they are healthy).

Brutal.
Just last season was almost a 1 bid year. Worst season that I can remember for the A10 in Seed levels of the teams selected:
  • Richmond (23-12) upset Davidson in A10 Championship got only a 12-seed. Upset 5-seed Iowa then pummeled by 4 seed PC 78-51
  • Davidson (27-6) got a 10-seed got beat by Michigan State 74-73
  • Only 2 teams in and worst seeds I can remember at only a 10-seed and a 12-seed
  • Richmond barely got in by virtue of winning the A10 Tournament as Richmond was only a 6-seed and beat 2-seed Dayton in the A10 Semi-Final then Richmond beat Davidson 64-62 in the AQ Championship Game. Some said A10 would have gotten 2 teams in anyway had Davidson won but it was very, very close
This year looks to be worse than last season judging from the A10 Conference Ranking OOC of only #13 and the poor Individual Team NET Rankings as compared to previous seasons
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Yep. Last year wasn’t great but, not as bad as this year, imho.

Dayton is the only sub 100 NET A10 team at #67. SLU is next at 105 - 38 spots lower to get to the 2nd rated team.

Seems the A10 doesn’t even have an NIT worthy team besides Dayton, at this point. Oooph
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Yep. Last year wasn’t great but, not as bad as this year, imho.

Dayton is the only sub 100 NET A10 team at #67. SLU is next at 105 - 38 spots lower to get to the 2nd rated team.

Seems the A10 doesn’t even have an NIT worthy team besides Dayton, at this point. Oooph
Yeah this is the worst I seen this league in quite awhile

If Dayton goes 15-3 or better are they back on the bubble ??
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Yep. Last year wasn’t great but, not as bad as this year, imho.

Yeah this is the worst I seen this league in quite awhile

If Dayton goes 15-3 or better are they back on the bubble ??
I sure hope so, Reef. But, The A10 is in Rodney Dangerfield territory this year…no respect.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

No crystal ball here. Although, I did play Karnak the Magnificent (Johnny Carson Tonight Show reference) for a skit when I was haunting the Rhody campus back in the early 80’s. :lol:

I’ll have to test out my Karnak clairvoyant skills….Rhody for the A10 Championship Tourney win! Ooops, must have crossed wires with ECR. :shock:

Being on KB jogs some good memories. Great times. Gotta love Rhody.

Good discussion. Carry on.
CARLOS
MY MEGAMILLIONS LOTTERY TICKET
URI vs. LASALLE IN THE A10 TOURNEY PLAY-IN GAME IN MARCH

A Boozer
A loser
And a snoozer

(Ha!...in my best Ed McMahon laugh, like SNL's Phil Hartmann used to do it.)
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The US News & World Report rankings are as far from facts as you can get, they're garbage
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Back to the A10…In all my years, I can’t remember a year where the conference was this bad across the board (granted my memory isn’t what it used to be) where the conference essentially has one, single borderline NCAA Tourney level team (Dayton, when they are healthy).

Brutal.
Just last season was almost a 1 bid year. Worst season that I can remember for the A10 in Seed levels of the teams selected:
  • Richmond (23-12) upset Davidson in A10 Championship got only a 12-seed. Upset 5-seed Iowa then pummeled by 4 seed PC 78-51
  • Only 2 teams in and worst seeds I can remember at only a 10-seed and a 12-seed
  • Richmond barely got in by virtue of winning the A10 Tournament as Richmond was only a 6-seed and beat 2-seed Dayton in the A10 Semi-Final then Richmond beat Davidson 64-62 in the AQ Championship Game. Some said A10 would have gotten 2 teams in anyway had Davidson won but it was very, very close
This year looks to be worse than last season judging from the A10 Conference Ranking OOC of only #13 and the poor Individual Team NET Rankings as compared to previous seasons
Not just some, the spokesperson for the selection committee said that if Richmond didn't win the conference tournament that Dayton was in
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

Brutal.
Not just some, the spokesperson for the selection committee said that if Richmond didn't win the conference tournament that Dayton was in
True.
But not by much.
Point being it was a weak, borderline 2nd team from the A10z
Point being A10 is in decline
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

True.
But not by much.
Point being it was a weak, borderline 2nd team from the A10z
Point being A10 is in decline
I don't dispute any of that at all, just wanted to add the fact that by the end we were a two bid league, despite our best efforts all year to be a one bid league
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

In the new world order the ceiling for a mid major is prob 3 bids and the floor the obvious 1. A10 has pretty consistently even in down years remained right in the middle of late (2 bids). I don't think there is any trend of decline its moreso just a bad year and the new state of affairs. We will never be a 4-5 bid league again. The A10 needs their top teams to perform well in OOC and this year those 2 (Dayton and SLU) simply did not. The goal should always be for the A10 to be the best non P6 basketball league so our competition is really the MWC and AAC for that title. Right now they are pegged for 3 and 2 bids.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago In the new world order the ceiling for a mid major is prob 3 bids and the floor the obvious 1. A10 has pretty consistently even in down years remained right in the middle of late (2 bids). I don't think there is any trend of decline its moreso just a bad year and the new state of affairs. We will never be a 4-5 bid league again. The A10 needs their top teams to perform well in OOC and this year those 2 (Dayton and SLU) simply did not. The goal should always be for the A10 to be the best non P6 basketball league so our competition is really the MWC and AAC for that title. Right now they are pegged for 3 and 2 bids.
I would also add the WCC to that list of competition for top mid-majors.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

The US News & World Report rankings are as far from facts as you can get, they're garbage
Let me explain this statement a different way. "US News and World Report has college rankings. These are what the rankings are for URI and UNH."

THAT STATEMENT IS A FACT.

Just like: "The AP has college basketball rankings. URI basketball was ranked as high as #16 in the rankings in 2018."

THAT STATEMENT IS ALSO A FACT.

So you can not like the rankings, think their garbage, irrelevant, biased, or whatever. That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. But the statement about the rankings, what those rankings are, and that they indeed exist IS A FACT!

Do you understand? This is not hard to comprehend what a fact is. Another analogy for you...(Purdue is currently ranked, by services that provide rankings, as the #1 basketball team in the country. That is a fact. Whether you agree with the rating service, the methodology, the ranking or not.)
Last edited by PlayMikeMotenMore 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes, I understand that you're an idiot that thinks subjective rankings that have time and again proven to be inaccurate is a fact
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Yes, I understand that you're an idiot that thinks subjective rankings that have time and again proven to be inaccurate is a fact
All rankings are subjective. - Fact
Rankings exist. - Fact
Those are what the rankings were. - Fact

You and everyone in the world are entitled to debate and disagree with rankings. Those are called opinions. Have the basketball rankings this week proven to be inaccurate? Not possible. You nor anyone can say. You'd simply be offering an opinion on an opinion.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Ahhh bidee, bidee…Thatch all, folks!

I was a BIG Looney Tunes fan growing up - if you couldn’t tell already.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago In the new world order the ceiling for a mid major is prob 3 bids and the floor the obvious 1. A10 has pretty consistently even in down years remained right in the middle of late (2 bids). I don't think there is any trend of decline its moreso just a bad year and the new state of affairs. We will never be a 4-5 bid league again. The A10 needs their top teams to perform well in OOC and this year those 2 (Dayton and SLU) simply did not. The goal should always be for the A10 to be the best non P6 basketball league so our competition is really the MWC and AAC for that title. Right now they are pegged for 3 and 2 bids.
I would also add the WCC to that list of competition for top mid-majors.
Yes good call on adding the WCC

Also Houston and Gonzaga have been final 4 candidates of late
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

All 7 A10 tilts won by the home team today. Strong homecourt advantage league! :lol:

snipp.JPG
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Besides UD no one is good enough to win road games. And with so much equal suckiness in middle to bottom of league I would guess there won’t be many road wins all year for anyone.
0 x