1/4 | Fordham | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: 1/4 | Fordham | 7:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The fan who went on a extended rant from 205 area was hilarious. I was upstairs and heard it clearly.

Pack line was generally solid especially early. Extended practice time has helped this group. Freeman was tossing a bagel for most of the game but kept positive and let the game flow.

DQ is probably the best player I’ve seen in person this year he’ll make a lot of money as a pro somewhere. His play in 2nd half dribbling baseline and back across the paint was just ridiculously good. Hit some pressure circus shots late too and crushed it from the foul line.

Good thing we’re not featuring high post offense sets because we don’t have a big who can handle the ball top of the key.
We did have open shots all night as we have all season. If we make em at the rate we did last night things could get positive.

We shall see how it goes in Philadelphia this weekend hopefully the improvement continues.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Nice to see a win that could’ve got away from them but didn’t.

Archie talked about the importance of that and the growth that this team has made to focus on closing out the last week.

Like I said - so many open shots, tonight we hit them and won.

If it’s a confidence thing (which I think it is) these wins will help the guys. Seeing more shots go in will lead to even more. Malik did a lot tonight, but he’s really at his best not hesitating. It’s all confidence.

The bigs were great. 7/9 FT’s - a lot of those down the stretch. Huge. Nice to see that we’re a good FT shooting team for what feels like the first time in a while.

Those refs can get fucked though. The BS flop call after the proper flop call, and then not calling the obvious flop on Quisinberry was disgusting. Game was 30-40 mins longer because of those dicks.

Right? And some of us needed to get home and get to bed! :)
Lol - the fact that elicited applause should tell you exactly how poor those refs were.
Was that you who yelled that? That was hilarious.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
RamStock wrote: 1 year ago It would be shocking if there 2000 real fans in the seat here tonight! I know the attendance will show 4475 or something, but no chance
2000 might be generous
I asked an usher what they expected tonight. He was told they expected 1,100 to 1,500.
My guess is it was closer to 1,500

3,683 is nowhere near actual

Reduced scanning lanes entering, some concession stands closed.
Actual attendance (forget announced numbers) for WBB are getting close the MBB. Usher told me they are being called in more now for the higher WBB games as attendance is increasing

No band as expected but a good turnout of cheerleaders and Ramettes and Rhody. The cheer they do around halftime lifting Rhody up in the center is great. They did it last night despite a smaller group. Great cheer.

National Anthem great.

Here’s what it looked like just as game ended and handshake line

DAA8C775-A77E-408A-B478-4FBC3FFF4887.jpeg

This was the second straight game with official attendance listed in the upper 3k range as the UMass-Lowell game had 3,829. I think reported attendance will fluctuate between mid to upper 3k for weekday games and low to mid 4k for most weekend games. The return of students to campus will not result in much bigger numbers this season as there is little current interest in the program given its struggles.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

Lol - the fact that elicited applause should tell you exactly how poor those refs were.
I would never. I try to be on my best behavior at all URI games and just want to see everyone have a good time. I'd never shout disparaging things at opposing players or referees. I was told long ago when at URI that I'm supposed to be very welcoming to all visitors to the Ryan Center.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago

2000 might be generous
I asked an usher what they expected tonight. He was told they expected 1,100 to 1,500.
My guess is it was closer to 1,500

3,683 is nowhere near actual

Reduced scanning lanes entering, some concession stands closed.
Actual attendance (forget announced numbers) for WBB are getting close the MBB. Usher told me they are being called in more now for the higher WBB games as attendance is increasing

No band as expected but a good turnout of cheerleaders and Ramettes and Rhody. The cheer they do around halftime lifting Rhody up in the center is great. They did it last night despite a smaller group. Great cheer.

National Anthem great.

Here’s what it looked like just as game ended and handshake line

DAA8C775-A77E-408A-B478-4FBC3FFF4887.jpeg

This was the second straight game with official attendance listed in the upper 3k range as the UMass-Lowell game had 3,829. I think attendance will fluctuate between mid to upper 3k for weekday games and low to mid 4k for most weekend games. The return of students to campus will not result in much bigger numbers this season as there is little current interest in the program given its struggles.
These 4000 attendance numbers are worthless. Just numbers.
I’ve been to January games for years and attendance levels being seen now are at the low end of the spectrum. Not good.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's not worthless, those tickets sold are revenue for the athletic department, however the people buying and not using is certainly not optimal
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 1 year ago Glad to see conference play open with a win. I had a conflict tonight but was hoping to attend. Based on other comments in this thread - what was the announced attendance?
L.O.L....
Security dude said they expected about 1100
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Darius Quisenberry had himself a night with 33 points. His previous high for the deacon was 25 points on 2 occasions
At about 10 minute mark 2nd half he made a long 3P and he thought he got fouled. Ref teed him up. I was close to the play and thought he got hit on the arm too.
Enjoyed watching Quisenberry play. Shot the 3 ball, FTs and created inside shots well too. One of best performances I’ve seen in the Ryan in past couple years from opponents. Plays hard, confidently, team player who wants to win. Opposing fans might not like him but found myself wishing he played for us.

Refs had an off night.
Quisenberry was great last night, but I can't say I enjoyed it at all. The soccer level flopping and constant talking made me hate his guts
The flop he got called for wasn’t as egregious as his second flop that wasn’t called.

Refs probably didn’t want to throw him out with two Ts from flopping.
1 x
Go Rhody
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

FWIW - Tavorris Bell was sitting in front of me for much of the game & he said that Tchikou reminded him of Andrew Wafula. Wafula did weight about 140 lbs soaking wet it seemed. :)
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I would never. I try to be on my best behavior at all URI games and just want to see everyone have a good time. I'd never shout disparaging things at opposing players or referees. I was told long ago when at URI that I'm supposed to be very welcoming to all visitors to the Ryan Center.
I completely agree with this sentiment especially when it comes to visiting fans. Remember when you wear URI apparel you automatically become an agent of the university and your actions reflect on the school. No one wants to see on TV the arrest of a person wearing URI gear, for example.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Good to hang on for a team still learning how to win as a group.

Loved seeing Bray embrace being a facilitator when his shots weren't falling, made some big baskets in 2nd half and the 8 assists are a season high

As a team we had 17 assists on 26 baskets; that's great

Some good moments from Tchikou

They guarded our 2-3 scorers hard and literally let everyone else play in space and wide open. It didn't work. These are Div 1 basketball players at end of day. With unlimited time and space you make below average shooters better. Samb, Tchikou and Malik were given 3-4 feet of space and dared to shoot.

I dislike when Arch pulls Weston after 2 fouls, he's rarely out there for the stretch anyhow I wish he would just let him get into a flow in the first half and see if he can knock off some more rust and uncertainty. If he picks up a 3rd who cares based on his usage in 2nd half.

And lastly, our TV crew is PAINFUL to listen to. PAINFUL. Something has to be done.

I almost want to watch a home game from my place instead of in Kingston and just listen to how bad the TV crew is.

Is it truly THAT bad?
Here, maybe this could help you do that?

DVR (Digital-Video-Recorder) is a set-top box with a built-in hard drive for recording your favorite television shows and movies. Unlike a VCR, a DVR set-top box can record programs in HD (High-Definition), schedule series recordings, and record multiple programs at once.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Good to hang on for a team still learning how to win as a group.

Loved seeing Bray embrace being a facilitator when his shots weren't falling, made some big baskets in 2nd half and the 8 assists are a season high

They guarded our 2-3 scorers hard and literally let everyone else play in space and wide open. It didn't work. These are Div 1 basketball players at end of day. With unlimited time and space you make below average shooters better. Samb, Tchikou and Malik were given 3-4 feet of space and dared to shoot.

I dislike when Arch pulls Weston after 2 fouls, he's rarely out there for the stretch anyhow I wish he would just let him get into a flow in the first half and see if he can knock off some more rust and uncertainty. If he picks up a 3rd who cares based on his usage in 2nd half.

And lastly, our TV crew is PAINFUL to listen to. PAINFUL. Something has to be done.

I almost want to watch a home game from my place instead of in Kingston and just listen to how bad the TV crew is.

Is it truly THAT bad?

DVR (Digital-Video-Recorder) is a set-top box with a built-in hard drive for recording your favorite television shows and movies. Unlike a VCR, a DVR set-top box can record programs in HD (High-Definition), schedule series recordings, and record multiple programs at once.

My god, what a brain fart by me. 😂
1 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The fannies in seats officially called the turnstile count is always lower than the announced crowd, the difference being “no-shows”. The number of no shows varies from game to game depending on weather, opponent attractiveness, current performance of team, time of year, etc.

If the announced crowd is 3683 and you believe on observation that only 1700 people are in the seats, you are in effect saying that 1983 are no shows. I don’t know the precise number of full season ticket holders, but am led to believe the number is about 2000, which means practically none showed up for the game which is preposterous. Looking at the crowd on TV, my guess is 2800 were in seats and no shows were around 800.
Last edited by Obadiah 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Is it truly THAT bad?

Its 2022. You can replay it on espn+ without doing anything
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago It's not worthless, those tickets sold are revenue for the athletic department, however the people buying and not using is certainly not optimal
What I mean is the number is worthless. Of course this is bolstered by season ticket holders and people who bought mini-packs, etc.
I see people get excited here by attendance in the 4000 and 5000 range and really it’s often half that.
I know a number of people who were sick or just chose not to go last night who had tickets so they go in the announced attendance which is not turnstile.
It’s pretty sad the actual attendance for MBB this year - big disappointment to me at least.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Darius Quisenberry had himself a night with 33 points. His previous high for the deacon was 25 points on 2 occasions
At about 10 minute mark 2nd half he made a long 3P and he thought he got fouled. Ref teed him up. I was close to the play and thought he got hit on the arm too.
Enjoyed watching Quisenberry play. Shot the 3 ball, FTs and created inside shots well too. One of best performances I’ve seen in the Ryan in past couple years from opponents. Plays hard, confidently, team player who wants to win. Opposing fans might not like him but found myself wishing he played for us.

Refs had an off night.
Quisenberry was great last night, but I can't say I enjoyed it at all. The soccer level flopping and constant talking made me hate his guts
The flop he got called for wasn’t as egregious as his second flop that wasn’t called.

Refs probably didn’t want to throw him out with two Ts from flopping.
The second one looked like a video game glitch it was so terrible and egregious!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 year ago Glad to see conference play open with a win. I had a conflict tonight but was hoping to attend. Based on other comments in this thread - what was the announced attendance?
L.O.L....
Security dude said they expected about 1100
As I said, Usher told me they were told to expect 1,100 to 1,500.
He said schools out and the team has a poor record.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago It's not worthless, those tickets sold are revenue for the athletic department, however the people buying and not using is certainly not optimal
What I mean is the number is worthless. Of course this is bolstered by season ticket holders and people who bought mini-packs, etc.
I see people get excited here by attendance in the 4000 and 5000 range and really it’s often half that.
I know a number of people who were sick or just chose not to go last night who had tickets so they go in the announced attendance which is not turnstile.
It’s pretty sad the actual attendance for MBB this year - big disappointment to me at least.
Again, it's very much NOT worthless! That is money that is going to the athletic department. It's actually far more important than the number in the seats
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Is it truly THAT bad?

Any time you want. ESPN+
I typically watch them the next day for home games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Again, it's very much NOT worthless! That is money that is going to the athletic department. It's actually far more important than the number in the seats
I get it.
Fully understand.
But actual attendance SUCKS for MBB I don’t care what the numbers say
Enthusiasm in the stands is just like last season right now.
Sugar coat it however you want.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It's hard to root for the future for the casual fan. A 5-9 team isn't going to draw an enthusiastic crowd it's not that newsworthy. It's expected.
Even Archie has acknowledged that he has to win to get that energy back.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Rory has a good stroke and should take every open trey. Rory and Bilau are polar opposites. Rory will get better. AN puts him in the game to get experience shooting. It is development in action.

Malik disappointed me when he did bot take an open trey. Ditto for Ish.

Thomas was one of the team leaders in rebounds, ball handling and all-around hustle. He has achieved my requirement for him to be a reliable FT shooter.

Alex is a good mid-range and FT shooter. I was hoping for a rebounder and inside scorer. He is what he is. His technical was dumb and deserved.

The only stat that matters is the final score. URI needs to outscore their opponents. The only way we will do this at the A10 level is with multiple options to make treys. Ish, Malik, Brayon and Rory, keep heaving them up. That is what Billy Lange has St Joe's doing as well. It is our best option for winning.
This truly may be your best. Definitely in the top 5. Bravo
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Samb has potential. If he can get stronger he has a nice offensive game.
Yup, said this about 3 games in.

More offensively polished than Cyril and Hassan at this point in their respective careers.
Agree with you on Cyril but no way on Hassan.
Hassan was putting up 20-25 ppg in the PSAL his senior year. Threes, dunks, mid range.
He obviously got more polished over time but he was not nearly as raw as Cyril was.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It's hard to root for the future for the casual fan. A 5-9 team isn't going to draw an enthusiastic crowd it's not that newsworthy. It's expected.
Even Archie has acknowledged that he has to win to get that energy back.
Agree.
That’s why the actual bodies in seats is so bad

Last night, late 2nd half, Archie walked up by the scorers table waving his arms up in the air trying to get the crowd into it, like Ed Cooley or Dan Hurley would do. I felt bad for him with the crowd being so small. Tough for him in this first year.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ticket promotions at very low or free prices.

3 Game Mini Plan: Get tickets to UMASS game + Tickets to any 2 other remaining home games CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS

2 Game Holiday Plan - Pick any two games from URI vs. Fordham, St. Bonaventure, George Mason, Dayton, or LaSalle
Each ticket package ordered will receive a 2018 Commemorative A10 Championship Ring and a $5 Dunkin Donut Gift Card
Prices range from $20 - $45 - CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS

Fordham | January 4th | 7pm
- Jr Ruckus Game: Junior Ruckus Members get in for free
- High School Night: High School Students get in for free (must register ahead of time)
- Be a Student: For $10, fans can sit in the "Ruckus" Student section while the students are away on break CLICK HERE for Tickets
- URI Students Bring Up to 4 Friends for Free CLICK HERE for Tickets via the student ticket portal
- $6 pizza from 6:00 PM - 6:45 PM
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

That was a very nice win!

Beating Fordham while Quissenberry goes off for 33 isn't the easiest of tasks.

Improvement!
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Agree with you on Cyril but no way on Hassan.
Hassan was putting up 20-25 ppg in the PSAL his senior year. Threes, dunks, mid range.
He obviously got more polished over time but he was not nearly as raw as Cyril was.
Huh? Hassan was getting Threes? He hit 1 his senior year & was 3 for 24 in his career.
2 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago
Huh? Hassan was getting Threes? He hit 1 his senior year & was 3 for 24 in his career.
In High School...yes. Saw a good half dozen of his games senior year. Took the occasional corner 3 and made some of em.
Didn't do that at all in Rhody blue but my point was moreso that he wasn't nearly as raw as Cyril offensively.
Cyril was a bull in a china shop from Day 1. I do agree Samb is more polished than Cyril at same point in his career but not Hassan.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
In High School...yes. Saw a good half dozen of his games senior year. Took the occasional corner 3 and made some of em.
Didn't do that at all in Rhody blue but my point was moreso that he wasn't nearly as raw as Cyril offensively.
Cyril was a bull in a china shop from Day 1. I do agree Samb is more polished than Cyril at same point in his career but not Hassan.
Ahhh...High School. Sorry.
0 x
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Guys, the attendance number method is what it always has been. I've got no clue why there's some weird obsession with it. It's only going to inch up with the team wins, and really improve when the team wins against good teams and is in contention for a ranking or an NCAA tournament spot. It's also not some weird trend with just the attendance number. The opening game thread against Quinnipiac has 12k+ views, PC is second with 10k+, and it's been a slow drip downward from there. Interest is going to be down until we win consistently.
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Guys, the attendance number method is what it always has been. I've got no clue why there's some weird obsession with it. It's only going to inch up with the team wins, and really improve when the team wins against good teams and is in contention for a ranking or an NCAA tournament spot. It's also not some weird trend with just the attendance number. The opening game thread against Quinnipiac has 12k+ views, PC is second with 10k+, and it's been a slow drip downward from there. Interest is going to be down until we win consistently.
Was just about to post something similar. The obsession with the attendance numbers and announced/actual is so weird to me. I get that attendance is important, and we all want the place packed as often as possible, but its extremely simple...win more and people will show up. Sometimes it feels like there is more talk about attendance then there is basketball. :lol:
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Actually, offensively their freshman years, Hassan's and Samb's stats are almost identical.
Both shooting about 53% FG and averaging about 6 PTS, with Samb playing about 4 minutes less per game.
Hassan though was a beast on the boards compared to only flashes we have seen from Samb.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

About 3 minutes left in the game Tchikou got a Technical, Refs by scorers table, somebody yelled out with a quietness in the Ryan Center something about how terrible they were and that we all needed to get home and sleep. Sounded like from 205. Was that one of you guys? It was pretty funny. A pretty long statement too in the quiet arena - everybody heard it I believe including the players.
It did come from 205, came from the guy the row in front of me, he’s on the board I know, I’ll let him come forward but the applause he got afterwards was the icing on the cake for me
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Actually, offensively their freshman years, Hassan's and Samb's stats are almost identical.
Both shooting about 53% FG and averaging about 6 PTS, with Samb playing about 4 minutes less per game.
Hassan though was a beast on the boards compared to only flashes we have seen from Samb.
And blocking shots.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

And blocking shots.
Yes for sure, no comparison on that end of the floor.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Guys, the attendance number method is what it always has been. I've got no clue why there's some weird obsession with it. It's only going to inch up with the team wins, and really improve when the team wins against good teams and is in contention for a ranking or an NCAA tournament spot. It's also not some weird trend with just the attendance number. The opening game thread against Quinnipiac has 12k+ views, PC is second with 10k+, and it's been a slow drip downward from there. Interest is going to be down until we win consistently.
Was just about to post something similar. The obsession with the attendance numbers and announced/actual is so weird to me. I get that attendance is important, and we all want the place packed as often as possible, but its extremely simple...win more and people will show up. Sometimes it feels like there is more talk about attendance then there is basketball. :lol:
Attendance doesn’t get near the talk that the announcers of the games get and the criticism they get. The broadcast stuff should have its own thread created. Then it could be tracked in one thread instead of every game. I could care less for the broadcast stuff. Sometimes there is more talk about the announcers or the broadcast connection than there is about basketball. :lol:

I can see why attendance is irrelevant for those who don’t attend. Means little watching on media.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have tracked attendance since the Ryan Center opened as I think it is a good barometer of the health and state of the program. I am not surprised by the low numbers this year and don't think anyone should expect better at this time. The sad reality is that URI has not put a product on the court that is worth coming out to see since before the start of the pandemic. This is the third straight year of bad performances. I therefore cannot blame anyone for choosing not to invest their time, money, and heart into the current program. It is frankly undeserving of such support. Only the real truly hardcore fans with extremely close ties to the school and program will come out for games at this time. I commend them for having such great loyalty despite the present circumstances. By the same token, I can easily understand why many are not coming out and cannot fault them. The Ryan Center will not attract large crowds until the product is better. More marketing and low cost promotions won't greatly alter the attendance dynamics.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Rory Stewart is terrible 😭😭😭. Can’t hit a wide open 3.
just taking a look now at this thread and there might be other Rory feedback... I think he just needs to be given some direction like, "ok, when we put you in, just start jacking threes...we may leave you in there 5 minutes, maybe just two, maybe one...keep firing..." Find out if he can shoot it or not. (I thought that was what he was recruited for?) He missed a couple, then it seemed like he was too afraid to take an almost layup... I think Arch probably (hopefully) realizes he can't expect him to be a good shooter if he gets yanked after he misses a couple
he just looks uncomfortable on the court
The speed of the game is still too fast for him at 14 games into his college career. This staff can get him through it (although, not likely to be this year), if he puts the work in and is patient enough to stick around.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago I have tracked attendance since the Ryan Center opened as I think it is a good barometer of the health and state of the program. I am not surprised by the low numbers this year and don't think anyone should expect better at this time. The sad reality is that URI has not put a product on the court that is worth coming out to see since before the start of the pandemic. This is the third straight year of bad performances. I therefore cannot blame anyone for choosing not to invest their time, money, and heart into the current program. It is frankly undeserving of such support. Only the real truly hardcore fans with extremely close ties to the school and program will come out for games at this time. I commend them for having such great loyalty despite the present circumstances. By the same token, I can easily understand why many are not coming out and cannot fault them. The Ryan Center will not attract large crowds until the product is better. More marketing and low cost promotions won't greatly alter these dynamics.
Agree
The best marketers in the world and giving out free tickets won’t matter much, if at all
Remember not long ago when no alcohol allowed in seats was attributed to limiting attendance. Now we have alcohol and no discernible difference
Winning matters
Good teams matter
Strong recruiting makes good teams
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

About 3 minutes left in the game Tchikou got a Technical, Refs by scorers table, somebody yelled out with a quietness in the Ryan Center something about how terrible they were and that we all needed to get home and sleep. Sounded like from 205. Was that one of you guys? It was pretty funny. A pretty long statement too in the quiet arena - everybody heard it I believe including the players.
It did come from 205, came from the guy the row in front of me, he’s on the board I know, I’ll let him come forward but the applause he got afterwards was the icing on the cake for me
Lol do people actually not know where I sit? I had figured I had no anonymity.

That's fine, I don't need DC Rams knowing where I am and coming to fight me with his keyboard.

If I remember, the quote was - "No one paid to watch you referee. Do you understand how terrible you are? You're awful at your jobs, call this right, some of us want to go home and get to bed." It was a shocking silence in the Ryan Center - no idea why it was that quiet, and most of the time I can be a bit on the loud side.

If refs are going to make games all about themselves (and this was the 2nd worst officiated game I've ever seen, behind WVU at Mohegan), they should be required to give a press conference after every game.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Eh, I don't really think they're that comparable. Sure, offensively they're kind of the same, but Martin was a much better rebounder and shot blocker, and did it while fouling less. Teams are shooting 42.5 percent against us, and it goes up to 48.2 percent if you subtract 3-point attempts and misses. Samb's not the only guy in the middle, but he's there roughly have the time there, and he's just not a threatening presence in the slightest. (None of this is also accounting for Samb not being a true freshman, vs. Martin. We should assume that Samb's closer to being a finished product than a typical freshman because he is a redshirt player, and it's probably fairer to compare expectations as somewhere between a freshman and sophomore year player for him.)
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Is it truly THAT bad?

RhodySurf, don’t mess around. I didn’t get enough sleep last night. It’s 2023, isn’t it? :lol:
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

Eh, I don't really think they're that comparable. Sure, offensively they're kind of the same, but Martin was a much better rebounder and shot blocker, and did it while fouling less. Teams are shooting 42.5 percent against us, and it goes up to 48.2 percent if you subtract 3-point attempts and misses. Samb's not the only guy in the middle, but he's there roughly have the time there, and he's just not a threatening presence in the slightest. (None of this is also accounting for Samb not being a true freshman, vs. Martin. We should assume that Samb's closer to being a finished product than a typical freshman because he is a redshirt player, and it's probably fairer to compare expectations as somewhere between a freshman and sophomore year player for him.)
I was only responding to the earlier post comparing their skills along with Cyril's offensively.
Agreed that Hassan was a much better all-around player.

Even though Samb is a RS freshman, he still didn't compete last season.
Many players who prep following HS have that additional year of competition before entering college.

Also remember that Samb missed a good part of his senior season with injury (torn tendons in his ankle) and didn't fully practice with our team until mid-December last season.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
Attendance doesn’t get near the talk that the announcers of the games get and the criticism they get. The broadcast stuff should have its own thread created. Then it could be tracked in one thread instead of every game. I could care less for the broadcast stuff. Sometimes there is more talk about the announcers or the broadcast connection than there is about basketball. :lol:

I can see why attendance is irrelevant for those who don’t attend. Means little watching on media.
I know you really wanted to get that shot at me in at the end of your post by saying "attendance is irrelevant for those who don’t attend", but I literally said the opposite in my post. "I get that attendance is important, and we all want the place packed as often as possible".
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

That's fine, I don't need DC Rams knowing where I am and coming to fight me with his keyboard.

If I remember, the quote was - "No one paid to watch you referee. Do you understand how terrible you are? You're awful at your jobs, call this right, some of us want to go home and get to bed." It was a shocking silence in the Ryan Center - no idea why it was that quiet, and most of the time I can be a bit on the loud side.

If refs are going to make games all about themselves (and this was the 2nd worst officiated game I've ever seen, behind WVU at Mohegan), they should be required to give a press conference after every game.
Didn’t realize it was you fair enough 😂
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Surely you didn't miss the Iona NIT game, did you? That was THE worst officiated game for me.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Great job Blue Man! It was classic!

I don’t really think the game was any more one sided than the other. I’ve yet to go back and watch it on ESPN+ but I thought Quinseberry got hit on the 3P he made
There was one play where Samb made a bone jarring foul above the top of the key that I found odd no Ref saw it. Even Samb looked bewildered that it wasn’t called.
Another call Carey clearly traveled moving his feet about 5 ministeps in the lane.
Thomas got mugged a couple times rebounding inside as did Leggett.
The Technical fouls are understandable to get the game under control but the fact it needed control begs a question.
I think the bad calls were even but the refs had a bad overall game
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Ticket promotions at very low or free prices.

3 Game Mini Plan: Get tickets to UMASS game + Tickets to any 2 other remaining home games CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS

2 Game Holiday Plan - Pick any two games from URI vs. Fordham, St. Bonaventure, George Mason, Dayton, or LaSalle
Each ticket package ordered will receive a 2018 Commemorative A10 Championship Ring and a $5 Dunkin Donut Gift Card
Prices range from $20 - $45 - CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS

Fordham | January 4th | 7pm
- Jr Ruckus Game: Junior Ruckus Members get in for free
- High School Night: High School Students get in for free (must register ahead of time)
- Be a Student: For $10, fans can sit in the "Ruckus" Student section while the students are away on break CLICK HERE for Tickets
- URI Students Bring Up to 4 Friends for Free CLICK HERE for Tickets via the student ticket portal
- $6 pizza from 6:00 PM - 6:45 PM
Jesus, we get it, your not happy with the attendance. You don't have to post the same thing 20 different times. And by the way, your number of actual bodies is way off. Obadiah's estimate is what I what I would guess the actual attendance was as well and I was in the building just like you were. Posting a picture of the crowd when the game is over is disingenuous at best. Anybody who is a Rhody fan knows a decent chunk of our crowd gets there late and leaves early. Especially last night when they thought the game was over. It is frustrating as hell, but it is what it is.

Can this board just a chill a little bit with the negativity on every subject. We finally play a decent game and get an A10 win and now the constant bitching about the attendance. What the hell do you expect on a game mid week with the students out versus a team that has been historically the worse team in the conference and our own teams sucks. I thought the crowd that was there was very good and into the game. Only the true diehards were there last night. Attendance will improve when the team improves.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Great job Blue Man! It was classic!

I don’t really think the game was any more one sided than the other. I’ve yet to go back and watch it on ESPN+ but I thought Quinseberry got hit on the 3P he made
There was one play where Samb made a bone jarring foul above the top of the key that I found odd no Ref saw it. Even Samb looked bewildered that it wasn’t called.
Another call Carey clearly traveled moving his feet about 5 ministeps in the lane.
Thomas got mugged a couple times rebounding inside as did Leggett.
The Technical fouls are understandable to get the game under control but the fact it needed control begs a question.
I think the bad calls were even but the refs had a bad overall game
We kept saying that the ref's were inventing a ticky-tack game where there wasn't one. The players weren't playing overly hard or frustrated or aggressive or anything. The refs inserted themselves into the game - then lost confidence in their whistles and were following up questionable calls with make-up calls, and trying to invent things where there weren't any to balance out what they thought was unbalanced.

You had refs out of position making phantom calls from 30 feet away when there's a ref in a better position not calling anything.

47 fouls is ABSURD.

The 3P Quisenberry got called for the flop on - not sure if he actually got hit - but the problem was that Bray was closing him out in one direction and he hilariously jumped the opposite way of how he would have if he had actually been hit. It was a proper flop call.

But to call the next one where there was either a clear block or charge (looked like Ish was out of the circle so it should've been charge) was unbelievable. THEN, at the end of the game, to watch Quisenberry literally explode off of Carey like he had taken a grenade was laughable...but you've already established a precedent for what you're calling...MAKE THE CALL.

The tech on Tchikou was insanity. Just guys with no idea what was going on needing to insert their whistle. Or they hammered Fordham. Either way it was embarrassing to see and I'm glad they heard every word that was said and the corresponding applause. Shameful display, they shouldn't ref anything above an NAIA game again.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

T.Bell saying Tchikou reminds of Wafula is very telling.
0 x