'19 Anthony Harris (UNC ---> URI ---> St. Thomas JC)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Re: Anthony Harris (UNC —>> URI)

Unread post by RJRam »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
RJRam wrote: 1 year ago
My prediction: He plays because he may look to play professionally after next season if he plays really well in ‘23-24.
Although, I hope he decides to stay for all of his eligibility.
Where does this come from? What am I missing? I know he is supposed to "have talent". I've seen video. But has he had any great success at the college level? Any? Does he need to support his family? Or are you just thinking about his academic problems? I see the cart, but I don't think the horse has left the barn yet! I prefer to wait to see if we even have a horse. But I do like horses! We could definitely use one.
RJ, I was responding to Jersey’s and Ramster’s back and forth above ( but didn’t copy their posts). Did you read their posts? It will give you context (part of which morphed to Ant playing right away or later) And did you not see my qualifier for prediction??? The qualifier is, IF HE PLAYS REALLY WELL IN ‘23-24. (I’m not yelling - just making it easier to see)

Logically, for him to consider playing professionally (not NBA only) he would have to play very well. Conversely, lousy play doesn’t lead to playing professionally.

You ask a lot of questions that have nothing to do with my prediction. The prediction is simple to understand when you consider the qualifier and the prediction in the context that the discussion was trending.

Re-read it, or not. But, don’t overlook context and the qualifier. I think you may be over thinking this as a result. I hope that helps clarify my post for you.

Finally, I did not post the phrase “have talent” in the prediction yet you put it in quotes. Please don’t misquote me, if that’s what you are doing. Thanks.
Jd3, I apologize for coming down on you a little heavy. Sometimes I get carried away. You certainly can make any prediction that you want. I guess predictions, by nature, are speculative and premature. I am definitely an optimist, however I just can't see thinking about possibly shipping this kid out to the pros after a year, before he has even played a game for us. Probably because if he is as good as we hope, I'd hate to lose him. But it's your prediction, not mine. I do agree with those that say play him when he's ready. I am confidant that this staff will continually sign talented players. (BTW the "have talent" was not a quote from you, just to denote a common expression.) Peace.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago I think it was Vault who interviewed a UNC beat writer about Ant and the UNC guy said to expect a high energy guy whose a dog on the defensive end of the ball and if he gets his offense rolling then he could be an all A-10 type player.

So I'm going to at least expect that he's going to help us a lot on defense. The kind of athlete most A-10 schools don't have.

I mean I would be pretty shocked if he doesn't provide more than anyone other than Bray Leggett and Bilau.

I mean his freshman year in back to back games he had 8 points at Gonzaga and then 14 against UCLA.

Not saying he's all A-10, but he's not going to be intimidated and he will help us.

We could be a very different looking team with him and Carey back by February. Extremely different.
Right a backcourt with Ant and Jalen could be fun to watch for certain stretches athletic as all can be
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

From today's media availability...

3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago

@ UNC are the key words

Give me a North Carolina transfer any day. Trusting our Assistant Coach who recruited him.

Looking forward to Harris playing here.
No one is saying he won’t be useful especially for a team with a lack of experience and a lack of offensively dynamic players. However if posters think he walks in here, gets 25+ mpg and is a double figure scorer from day 1 that completely changes our trajectory they are going to be disappointed. Just my take.

It should be everyone’s take, but we have many irrational and unrealistic fans here.
“Many irrational and unrealistic fans here” spoken by the guy who in March started trashing Leggett similarly to how he did Jermaine Harris repeatedly in 3 separate threads. Called Leggett a Division 2 player in March.
Must have been a little shocked when Miller talked Leggett into staying at URI.
Should Leggett being called a D2 Player have been everyone’s take here as well?

Just asking for a friend.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

No one is saying he won’t be useful especially for a team with a lack of experience and a lack of offensively dynamic players. However if posters think he walks in here, gets 25+ mpg and is a double figure scorer from day 1 that completely changes our trajectory they are going to be disappointed. Just my take.

It should be everyone’s take, but we have many irrational and unrealistic fans here.
“Many irrational and unrealistic fans here” spoken by the guy who in March started trashing Leggett similarly to how he did Jermaine Harris repeatedly in 3 separate threads. Called Leggett a Division 2 player in March.

Holy shit dude.

I also said Leggett was the next "it" player for us his freshman year. Funny you never bring that up.

People are allowed to change their opinion on things/people when new information is presented to them.

Leggett was good two years ago, hence I said he was our next go to guy. Last year, he was god awful, so I changed my opinion on him.

He dramatically improved this season, I have not said one negative thing about the kid since last season.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Holy shit dude.

I also said Leggett was the next "it" player for us his freshman year. Funny you never bring that up.

People are allowed to change their opinion on things/people when new information is presented to them.

Leggett was good two years ago, hence I said he was our next go to guy. Last year, he was god awful, so I changed my opinion on him.

He dramatically improved this season, I have not said one negative thing about the kid since last season.
Right.
So stop being the Hall Monitor

Everyone can be wrong EVEN YOU! Imagine that.

No need to make statements like this……
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago From today's media availability...

YES !!!!!

NO DOUBT !!!!

it's all coming together !
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Where does this come from? What am I missing? I know he is supposed to "have talent". I've seen video. But has he had any great success at the college level? Any? Does he need to support his family? Or are you just thinking about his academic problems? I see the cart, but I don't think the horse has left the barn yet! I prefer to wait to see if we even have a horse. But I do like horses! We could definitely use one.
RJ, I was responding to Jersey’s and Ramster’s back and forth above ( but didn’t copy their posts). Did you read their posts? It will give you context (part of which morphed to Ant playing right away or later) And did you not see my qualifier for prediction??? The qualifier is, IF HE PLAYS REALLY WELL IN ‘23-24. (I’m not yelling - just making it easier to see)

Logically, for him to consider playing professionally (not NBA only) he would have to play very well. Conversely, lousy play doesn’t lead to playing professionally.

You ask a lot of questions that have nothing to do with my prediction. The prediction is simple to understand when you consider the qualifier and the prediction in the context that the discussion was trending.

Re-read it, or not. But, don’t overlook context and the qualifier. I think you may be over thinking this as a result. I hope that helps clarify my post for you.

Finally, I did not post the phrase “have talent” in the prediction yet you put it in quotes. Please don’t misquote me, if that’s what you are doing. Thanks.
Jd3, I apologize for coming down on you a little heavy. Sometimes I get carried away. You certainly can make any prediction that you want. I guess predictions, by nature, are speculative and premature. I am definitely an optimist, however I just can't see thinking about possibly shipping this kid out to the pros after a year, before he has even played a game for us. Probably because if he is as good as we hope, I'd hate to lose him. But it's your prediction, not mine. I do agree with those that say play him when he's ready. I am confidant that this staff will continually sign talented players. (BTW the "have talent" was not a quote from you, just to denote a common expression.) Peace.
No problem and thanks for the message. I have problems finishing or connecting thoughts sometimes. Sometimes I’ll catch it and edit the thought but not always. The meds screw up my thought processes at times and it gets frustrating and I get impatient. When I looked at it with a clearer head this morning, I could see I wasn’t clear. We are good. Peace.

The good news is I did well on the cognitive test at the doctor’s office today. Whew! :lol:
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago From today's media availability...

YES !!!!!

NO DOUBT !!!!

it's all coming together !
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow really good news on Ant !! Let’s add him to the mix it can only make us better
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Reminds me of waiting at the airport for Adingono to arrive back in 2001.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So what's the first game he could potentially be back for?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

That's really anyone's guess.

Last day of classes is Tuesday, which if he is eligible after that means Tuesday night (less likely) or 12/18 (more likely)
Exams are the 15, 16, 19-21. So if it's based on the exam schedule you're looking at 12/18 (less likely) or 12/22 (more likely)

But again, that's assuming he will be coming back to the team, and eligible, and there's nothing I'm missing
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I didn't know he was taking online classes at home. I assumed he was at a JC somewhere and at least playing pickup with a school's team. We don't know if he's even been playing any organized basketball games. What kind of shape is he in? A few questions we don't know the answer to.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I didn't know he was taking online classes at home. I assumed he was at a JC somewhere and at least playing pickup with a school's team. We don't know if he's even been playing any organized basketball games. What kind of shape is he in? A few questions we don't know the answer to.
Yes BB, lots of questions.
I will be excited to see him join the team.
But yeah, not sure how long it will take for him to make an impact here.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Mr. 78, you ask a lot of questions - signed, Rosann Rosanna-Danna.

:lol:
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago That's really anyone's guess.

Last day of classes is Tuesday, which if he is eligible after that means Tuesday night (less likely) or 12/18 (more likely)
Exams are the 15, 16, 19-21. So if it's based on the exam schedule you're looking at 12/18 (less likely) or 12/22 (more likely)

But again, that's assuming he will be coming back to the team, and eligible, and there's nothing I'm missing
So earliest possible would be the Milwaukee game? (12/22)

Then Duquesne (12/31)
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Then Duquesne (12/31)
Let's get him enrolled and on campus first before we speculate.

Even if he does end up coming, no idea at all how soon Archie plans on playing him or how much he will be able to immediately contribute.

But like I said before, will look forward to him being here.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Then Duquesne (12/31)

Even if he does end up coming, no idea at all how soon Archie plans on playing him or how much he will be able to immediately contribute.

He was on campus for the pc game. Carroll said he should be good to go for the second semester.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

Then Duquesne (12/31)

He was on campus for the pc game. Carroll said he should be good to go for the second semester.
I agree Blueram, at this point it does seem very likely that he will be on our roster.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does Ant know the pack line defense?????
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Does Ant know the pack line defense?????
Does anyone know yet on this team Billyboy?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Then Duquesne (12/31)

Yeah im not speculating. I'm figuring out the earliest he COULD play after the second semester starts.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

He played against Virginia once!
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Then Duquesne (12/31)

Yeah im not speculating. I'm figuring out the earliest he COULD play after the second semester starts.
Okay, that's reasonable
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Does anyone know yet on this team Billyboy?
Well, at least they have been practicing it for a few months.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I thought second semester begins as far as basketball goes, the day after exams finish.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Archie said at Semester break that Anthony is joining the team.
0 x
GO RAMS
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://www.google.com/search?q=anthony ... -_qu6_p5Ms

Per video. Not a PG. Not a shooter. Needs to work on both. A slasher, dirty work guard. Teammates love him.

Good history, summary. December senior year HS, ACL knee, out a year. No summer work. January freshman year, ACL other knee, out another year. No summer work. January 2nd year, out, probably academics. Still worked out with and travelled with team. Transfers to URI. Summer/Fall??
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I was wondering if the NCAA is involved in determining Ant's eligibility. If so, might that take a while?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

When would be his possible 1st game ?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago When would be his possible 1st game ?
I think the first semester just ended so I guess this week's game against Milwaukee.

That's definitely not happening though, don't think he's here yet.

Maybe Duquesne on new years eve is possible.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I assume the semester at his current school needs to end and get his grades in.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Any updates on Ant’s status floating around out there in the Rhody-verse?
0 x
79RhodyFan
Steve Chubin

Unread post by 79RhodyFan »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Any updates on Ant’s status floating around out there in the Rhody-verse?
It all depends on who you get the update from. If its from ECR the update will be: he is here now, looking great and he is going to be the programs savior. If its from Rhody15 the update will be: he is not going to be eligible to get into URI and it does matter because he can't shoot anyways. Its more fun listening to ECR's updates! Merry Christmas everyone!
8 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

79RhodyFan wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Any updates on Ant’s status floating around out there in the Rhody-verse?
It all depends on who you get the update from. If its from ECR the update will be: he is here now, looking great and he is going to be the programs savior. If its from Rhody15 the update will be: he is not going to be eligible to get into URI and it does matter because he can't shoot anyways. Its more fun listening to ECR's updates! Merry Christmas everyone!
hahaha
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Heard he’s gonna take on Milwaukee all by himself
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago
Heard he’s gonna take on Milwaukee all by himself
Ant is our savior!
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

As much as it would be nice to see him get some playing time and get adjusted with the team I would hate to see him waste a year of eligibility on a lost season. It seems like all players have 5 seasons+ with the CoVID rules, but would hate to waste a full year with this team
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago As much as it would be nice to see him get some playing time and get adjusted with the team I would hate to see him waste a year of eligibility on a lost season. It seems like all players have 5 seasons+ with the CoVID rules, but would hate to waste a full year with this team
He's already 22, and turns 23 in July. This would have been his fourth college season, and assuming he plays this year and next year, he'll be just shy of 25 when he graduates / loses eligibility. I kind of doubt he wants to delay his pro basketball career or post-basketball career by that point.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

lace them up so we can get to the semis in the a10 tourney then free drinks for ECR !
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Realistically, whose updates would be more logical?

My apologies if I tend to be more of a grounded, rational fan.

If he does come in and play, I can't see him being a significant difference maker. We'll be below .500 with or without him.
0 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

If he does come in and play, I can't see him being a significant difference maker. We'll be below .500 with or without him.
Don't let it bother you. Some people equate being realistic as pessimistic. (They'd rather think every player is the next Sly Williams.)
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Any updates on Ant's status floating around out there in the Rhody-verse?

I don't think anyone honestly thinks Ant is going to be our savior, but we instantly saw the benefit of adding an athletic guard to this roster when Carey came back. At the very least, I think Ant will be able to create for an offense that desperately needs scoring. He should also help a lot of the defensive end, as that's what he's known for.

It's incredibly hard to land stars at this level. We have to hope that we can bring on a few cornerstone players and then build a roster around them. My question for you is, who is going to be a difference-maker? You said I overhype Connor, so clearly, you don't think it will be him. You don't think it will be Cam. You don't think it will be Ant. So who will be a difference maker, or will our team suck every year because Archie and the staff can't bring anyone in who will make a big impact?
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago

Don't let it bother you. Some people equate being realistic as pessimistic. (They'd rather think every player is the next Sly Williams.)
No one thinks every player will be Sly Williams. I don't even think ECR believes that and he's the most positive person on this message board.

However, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect this staff to land some top A10 talent. Why the hell did we hire Archie MIller if we don't expect him to land some studs and get this team back to the top of the A10?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I don't think anyone honestly thinks Ant is going to be our savior, but we instantly saw the benefit of adding an athletic guard to this roster when Carey came back. At the very least, I think Ant will be able to create for an offense that desperately needs scoring. He should also help a lot of the defensive end, as that's what he's known for.

It's incredibly hard to land stars at this level. We have to hope that we can bring on a few cornerstone players and then build a roster around them. My question for you is, who is going to be a difference-maker? You said I overhype Connor, so clearly, you don't think it will be him. You don't think it will be Cam. You don't think it will be Ant. So who will be a difference maker, or will our team suck every year because Archie and the staff can't bring anyone in who will make a big impact?
When I read the word "difference maker" and "cornerstone" I think of the following guys: EC, Hassan, Terrell, Stan, Kuran, Dowtin, Fatts, Cyril, and to a lesser extent, Freeman and Leggett.

It was clear from the get go/their first year (except for maybe Cyril) those players would turn into difference makers.

I will not say our two current recruits will be difference makers until they produce on a college court.

Literally anyone could put together a prep school highlight tape with their top 10 toughest made shots and make themselves look incredible.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

At this point, there has to be another update soon, like New Years soon.
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago

No one thinks every player will be Sly Williams. I don't even think ECR believes that and he's the most positive person on this message board.

However, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect this staff to land some top A10 talent. Why the hell did we hire Archie MIller if we don't expect him to land some studs and get this team back to the top of the A10?
ECR doesn't think every player will be Sly Williams. He thinks every player will be Michael Jordan. :lol:
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

New article, but nothing definitive in it.

https://tarheeltribune.com/2022/12/20/p ... -be-close/
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My guess is the best chance of an update will be the first media avail before the Duquesne game, and if not then we'll see if Ant is sitting on the bench or not come Dec 31.
0 x