22-23 Starting Five

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 22-23 Starting Five

Unread post by ramster »

From GoRhody Georgia State Pregame:

THOMAS THIRD IN A-10 IN ASSIST-TURNOVERS
  • Sophomore guard Sebastian Thomas has 34 assists and 17 turnovers this season.
  • His 2.0 assists-turnover ratio ranks third in the Atlantic 10 behind only Duquesne's Tevin Brewer (3.1) and Saint Louis' Yuri Collins (2.8)
  • Thomas needs just four assists to reach 100 for his career.
  • Earlier this season, he had a career-high 10 assists while recording his first double-double (13 points, 10 assists) in a win over Stony Brook.
  • Thomas is averaging 4.7 points, 3.1 assists and 1.9 rebounds in 21.4 minutes per game this season.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago From GoRhody Georgia State Pregame:

THOMAS THIRD IN A-10 IN ASSIST-TURNOVERS
  • Sophomore guard Sebastian Thomas has 34 assists and 17 turnovers this season.
  • His 2.0 assists-turnover ratio ranks third in the Atlantic 10 behind only Duquesne's Tevin Brewer (3.1) and Saint Louis' Yuri Collins (2.8)
  • Thomas needs just four assists to reach 100 for his career.
  • Earlier this season, he had a career-high 10 assists while recording his first double-double (13 points, 10 assists) in a win over Stony Brook.
  • Thomas is averaging 4.7 points, 3.1 assists and 1.9 rebounds in 21.4 minutes per game this season.
The most important thing Thomas brings is a reliable ball handler that can be brought in when Archie needs to reign Bray in.

I just need him to shoot less.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It's hard to turn the ball over if you're zero threat to ever penetrate. That's why the leaders in the category most years are pass-first point guards, or guys like Jimmy Baron and Kyle Korver, who just catch-and-shoot or pass. It's a stat that tells you more about how a player plays, and not whether this contributes value to their respective team.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago It's hard to turn the ball over if you're zero threat to ever penetrate. That's why the leaders in the category most years are pass-first point guards, or guys like Jimmy Baron and Kyle Korver, who just catch-and-shoot or pass. It's a stat that tells you more about how a player plays, and not whether this contributes value to their respective team.
Plenty of his assists are penetrating and dishing to bigs. I know he can't shoot, but he does other things well. I use my eyes rather than stats to see this.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Bassy is what he is. I believe the ceiling for a team with a primary PG who can’t shoot and is not at least a lock down defender or lighting fast and can finish strong at the hoop is limited…if you can’t shoot at least average you need to be elite at something else.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago It's hard to turn the ball over if you're zero threat to ever penetrate. That's why the leaders in the category most years are pass-first point guards, or guys like Jimmy Baron and Kyle Korver, who just catch-and-shoot or pass. It's a stat that tells you more about how a player plays, and not whether this contributes value to their respective team.
Plenty of his assists are penetrating and dishing to bigs. I know he can't shoot, but he does other things well. I use my eyes rather than stats to see this.
Bassy penetrates just fine. It is finishing that has been the problem.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

btw, Unless there's a late change, according to stat tracker the starting five today are Freeman, Leggett, Carey, Martin and Samb. If Bilau is injured, that's probably our best five.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago btw, Unless there's a late change, according to stat tracker the starting five today are Freeman, Leggett, Carey, Martin and Samb. If Bilau is injured, that's probably our best five.
Bilau is out
1 x
Common sense is not common.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Ouch that is never good news.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sevegny7 wrote: 1 year ago

Ouch that is never good news.
Ugh tough news on Bilat
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

My bet still stands. I bet you a beer that Baldwin gets drafted
Fair enough, but if they require masks at the Ry and I can't buy you a beer at the pub....you have to bring a case to my house? ;)
Dude...you were right...I owe you a beer. Cheers. I'll leave it at will call.
I was planning to get you that brewhoffer at the Milwaukee game because, well...Milwaukee is like a NBA farm club and all :roll: Not sure if it's ironic, coincidental, fortuitous, or what, but.... made a joke about the "m" word....and the folks at the Ry just blow right by that idea and cancel the whole durn thing outright :lol: :lol: Oh well, perhaps at the Metro Rams game...
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Fair enough, but if they require masks at the Ry and I can't buy you a beer at the pub....you have to bring a case to my house? ;)
I was planning to get you that brewhoffer at the Milwaukee game because, well...Milwaukee is like a NBA farm club and all :roll: Not sure if it's ironic, coincidental, fortuitous, or what, but.... made a joke about the "m" word....and the folks at the Ry just blow right by that idea and cancel the whole durn thing outright :lol: :lol: Oh well, perhaps at the Metro Rams game...
I actually thought of you the other day. I was watching the Jazz Warriors games, and the Warriors had a bunch of players out, so Baldwin came in. He looked pretty good. He hit some 3s. He's barely played this season, but I immediately thought to myself I hope NYG and I can have a beer together soon.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I actually thought of you the other day. I was watching the Jazz Warriors games, and the Warriors had a bunch of players out, so Baldwin came in. He looked pretty good. He hit some 3s. He's barely played this season, but I immediately thought to myself I hope NYG and I can have a beer together soon.
Ha, he looks fine, now that he went 28, and just gets asked to play D and shoot 3s, vs. carry a crappy team. Probably example 500 million of how important role and fit is.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I saw Baldwin get some minutes too good spot for him in Golden St
0 x