12/18 | Georgia St | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 12/18 | Georgia St | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Side topic- When will we see the jacket again?
Archie's? Never. Only at official or fancy functions. He gets way too hot.

Once Jay Wright stopped wearing a suit, it gave permission for every other coach to stop.
Thats a shame.
0 x
GO RAMS
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago The other key with Carey coming back in - is that Bassy's shooting role will hopefully be reduced. The kid is great at the basic PG duties of ball-handling, court vision and distributing. He has a 2:1 A:TO right now.

His shooting is atrocious. 39% from 2. 16% from 3.

If you don't have Carey starting, he's a great bench option to pair with Bassy so that he doesn't have to (ever) take a shot.

With his hip issues, I'm not sure if Archie's trying to reduce Carey's workload and keep him as a bench option, but Jalen as a scoring threat can help Bassy revert to a distributor taking less shots per game. Can't have a 16% shooter taking shots.
Good analysis Blue Man. However you have to allow Bassy a little room to develop his offense. In his last 2 games, he is 5 of 11, 2 of 6 from 3pt. Certainly respectable. He has shown a willingness to take shots in crunch time with some pretty good results. Give him some time. He is only a sophomore. I think we should all be fans of any local kids that dream about playing for the Rams, and not our neighbors.
Fair. And I love that he wants to be a Ram. It's exceedingly rare around here.

But there's a reason he wasn't really recruited out of Hendricken. If this is a "sophomore slump" he's down from being a 45% 2pt shooter and 21% 3 point shooter last year. He is up from 36% to 55% at the line.

The kid isn't a shooter. I don't think that's an unfair criticism.

What he's good at, he's good at. Being a true PG. I think it's OK to call that out.
We agree that he is a true PG, IMHO currently the best on our team. I think shooting can improve. Many on this board thought Fatts was a shooter with a RI career 35% and 28% 3pt. Give the kid some time, he may fool you.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Part of playing point guard is shooting, though. Like, a big part! Even John Stockton shot 7 to 10 times a game. Saying he's our best true point guard, except for shooting, is trying to twist into pretzels reasons for him to play. With Estevez coming next year, I think Thomas' hold on even the back-up PG spot for next year isn't guaranteed, given that his offense has gotten worse this year. (More attempts, lower percentage, higher turnover rate.)
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Side topic- When will we see the jacket again?

Once Jay Wright stopped wearing a suit, it gave permission for every other coach to stop.
Thats a shame.
I thought once COVID hit most coaches stopped wearing suits and dressed casually ??
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago Part of playing point guard is shooting, though. Like, a big part! Even John Stockton shot 7 to 10 times a game. Saying he's our best true point guard, except for shooting, is trying to twist into pretzels reasons for him to play. With Estevez coming next year, I think Thomas' hold on even the back-up PG spot for next year isn't guaranteed, given that his offense has gotten worse this year. (More attempts, lower percentage, higher turnover rate.)
For this team he is most effective in a role, as a change of pace sub you insert to give Ish/Bray a short blow (2-3 minutes) or when the ball is getting sticky and you need to get movement back on offense. He can be playable in bursts, but not for prolonged stretches. It's just where he is with his game right now. I am in the same camp as SG in that a PG that isn't a perimeter threat is a major obstacle.
3 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

In my mind, Bassy is currently the only real point guard on the team. Bray may become one, but I find him a little wild to be called a solid point. Maybe Estevez is better, we will see, but by then Bassy will be a junior and it may not be easy to drop him out of the rotation. BTW, I don't know the kid, or anyone associated with him, but I do like the story and will continue to root for him.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago

Thats a shame.
I thought once COVID hit most coaches stopped wearing suits and dressed casually ??
Most do, although Danny kept the suit, as well as others. I personally am not a fan of a head coach looking like a ball boy, and Archies jacket is the balls. But what are you gonna do. BEAT GEORGIA STATE.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago In my mind, Bassy is currently the only real point guard on the team. Bray may become one, but I find him a little wild to be called a solid point. Maybe Estevez is better, we will see, but by then Bassy will be a junior and it may not be easy to drop him out of the rotation. BTW, I don't know the kid, or anyone associated with him, but I do like the story and will continue to root for him.
I think it's universal we all like Bassy as a player. He's got a great handle and court vision. I think he would do well with the Jimmy Baron school of gym and shoot hoops late into the night. He needs to get scoring. It would help this team and himself a lot.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I don’t mind coaches not wearing the suit, many of the coordinated warm up casual wear we see, I like. I thought what looked a colorful tee shirt on the Army coach was low rent. If Bassey does not become a more reliable scorer, his time has to be very limited with his current numbers. Love all the other stuff he brings.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I would love to see Bassy become a consistent jump shooter. It would open up his penetration, enhance his passing, benefit our O and make this version of Rhody better positioned to cause trouble in conference and in the A10 Tourney - especially as our D comes together.

I haven’t watched many games so it is hard for me to gauge his mechanics. I think others here that have watched him more can break his mechanics down better than I could at this time. I vaguely remember (several games ago?) some here saying his outside shot was flat (not much arc). Hopefully, they can provide an update on how his shot looks coming off his hand and his mechanics.

Anyway, I am confident he and the staff are working on it. Just hope he gets his shot working soon.

Edit: can’t forget the freebies, too. He could use improvement on those as well.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm sure Bassy has worked over and over on his shot. He's just not a good shooter. But he's the best facilitator on the team.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I'm sure Bassy has worked over and over on his shot. He's just not a good shooter. But he's the best facilitator on the team.
Seems he would be best when Ish and Carey are on the floor. Bray when Martin is in.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I'm sure Bassy has worked over and over on his shot. He's just not a good shooter. But he's the best facilitator on the team.
I just don't think this is that valuable or rare of a skill. I'm pretty sure Freeman could post assist stats like Thomas could, if he *only* looked to pass. I also suspect that the other 4 guys on the court probably shoot roughly the same whether Thomas or Freeman or someone else is playing point, or, the margin is so slight it's not worth having someone who can't reliably shoot play PG. This team is so starved for offense (325th out of 363 teams) that we can't really afford to "punt" on one position at any point. I think his MPG are going to drop as the season goes on, if Freeman can avoid the doghouse.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

All I know is I like the trend Bassy has been on the last two games

He's played an appropriate amount of minutes, he hasn't forced his offense at all and has made a lot of good decisions with the ball.

Carey coming back has really helped everyone

I've also noticed Malik has been able to make lay ups and jump shots here lately and that's helped us out a lot too.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Bassy just needs to make open shots so opponents can't drop off him. He doesn't need to create a shot or have plays called to get him open. Many of his missed shots recently occurred during waning seconds on the shot clock. These are low percentage shots for any player. Bassy needs an acceptable percentage taking open shots. Very doable.
2 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Bassy just needs to make open shots so opponents can't drop off him. He doesn't need to create a shot or have plays called to get him open. Many of his missed shots recently occurred during waning seconds on the shot clock. These are low percentage shots for any player. Bassy needs an acceptable percentage taking open shots. Very doable.
I literally saw Bassy miss 4 open shots within 4 feet of the hoop last game.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Bassy just needs to make open shots so opponents can't drop off him. He doesn't need to create a shot or have plays called to get him open. Many of his missed shots recently occurred during waning seconds on the shot clock. These are low percentage shots for any player. Bassy needs an acceptable percentage taking open shots. Very doable.
I literally saw Bassy miss 4 open shots within 4 feet of the hoop last game.

Bassy went 2-6 FG Vs UMASS Lowell including 0-2 for 3Ps and 2-2 FTs
Take out the 2 3Ps and he went 2-4 FGs so not possible you saw him miss 4 open shots from 4 feet of the hoop last game.

On the other hand, Freeman went 4-5 on 3Ps but only 2-12 FG (taking away the 3Ps). Freeman was only 1-11 if taking away the 6 second length of court game tying layup which makes it an interesting call by Miller to call his number and put Freeman back in the game for the last 6 seconds.

68E74093-8B69-428E-855F-EB110A565697.jpeg
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
I just don't think this is that valuable or rare of a skill. I'm pretty sure Freeman could post assist stats like Thomas could, if he *only* looked to pass. I also suspect that the other 4 guys on the court probably shoot roughly the same whether Thomas or Freeman or someone else is playing point, or, the margin is so slight it's not worth having someone who can't reliably shoot play PG. This team is so starved for offense (325th out of 363 teams) that we can't really afford to "punt" on one position at any point. I think his MPG are going to drop as the season goes on, if Freeman can avoid the doghouse.
Bassy makes passes that other guards on the team don’t. His vision on passes to the low post in particular is excellent. I agree with others that he is limited by his inability to hit an open shot. I will also say that his assist numbers would be much higher if he has teammates who could hit an open shot.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago ...

I just don't think this is that valuable or rare of a skill. I'm pretty sure Freeman could post assist stats like Thomas could, if he *only* looked to pass. ...
... and I am "pretty sure" Freeman would have many more TOs.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Hi everyone. Happy Holidays. Currently I am in Georgia at my two daughters homes. I will be at the game tomorrow sitting behind the URI bench where all rhody fans will be sitted. Let’s Go Rhody !!!
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BruceW wrote: 1 year ago Hi everyone. Happy Holidays. Currently I am in Georgia at my two daughters homes. I will be at the game tomorrow sitting behind the URI bench where all rhody fans will be sitted. Let’s Go Rhody !!!
Please let us know how the new Convocation Center looks. It’s built adjacent to the 1996 Olympic Stadium, then Turner Field for the Braves and now home to Georgia State Football.
Ohio State plays Georgia at MBS on December 31st

Enjoy the Holidays!
0 x
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

BruceW wrote: 1 year ago Hi everyone. Happy Holidays. Currently I am in Georgia at my two daughters homes. I will be at the game tomorrow sitting behind the URI bench where all rhody fans will be sitted. Let’s Go Rhody !!!
You might want to leave now to make tipoff. Traffic there is worse than LA. If you haven't ever toured the Fox theatre it's worth the effort to get there!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

2 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Bassy makes passes that other guards on the team don’t. His vision on passes to the low post in particular is excellent. I agree with others that he is limited by his inability to hit an open shot. I will also say that his assist numbers would be much higher if he has teammates who could hit an open shot.
Yeah, and if his teammates could hit an open shot than maybe Freeman wouldn't be hunting for his own offense so much and his assist to turnover ratio would look more like his GW numbers, but that's not the team we have this year
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago ...

I just don't think this is that valuable or rare of a skill. I'm pretty sure Freeman could post assist stats like Thomas could, if he *only* looked to pass. ...
... and I am "pretty sure" Freeman would have many more TOs.
Last year Freeman had 3.7 assists per game and his turnovers were 2.3 per game. That's more assists per game than Thomas has averaged and only slightly more turnovers per game than he has now
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI has lost its last Its last seven games on opponent's home courts. Its last true road win was last January 15th at UMass.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Really curious to see how our team reacts away in Atlanta.
This will only be our 2nd true road game.

We are going to have our hands full tomorrow.
They seem very athletic and hit the offensive glass, getting 2nd and 3rd opportunities.
We need to really control the boards.

If we can do that, limit our turnovers and fouls, plus moving the ball taking good shots, we have a chance.
Much easier said than done.

Like I keep saying this season is a work in progress.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Interesting that URI Football will open its 2023 schedule playing Georgia State at old Turner Field, now reconfigured and called Center Parc Stadium.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah just cuz it’s a true road game is the reason I think we ultimately fall short
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago URI has lost its last Its last seven games on opponent's home courts. Its last true road win was last January 15th at UMass.
I think it's high time we change that narrative.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago ...
Last year Freeman had 3.7 assists per game and his turnovers were 2.3 per game. That's more assists per game than Thomas has averaged and only slightly more turnovers per game than he has now
Comparing Thomas to Freeman in terms of Assists and TOs in 2021-22, Bassy had 62 assists and 28 TOs in 440 minutes of play while Brayon had 110 assists and 69 TOs in 815 minutes of play. Slight edge to Bassy when you adjust for minutes played.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The game will be played at their new 7,500 seat on campus Georgia State Convocation Center arena. The venue is nearly double the capacity of their former home. The first regular season game ever in their new arena was played against Coastal Carolina on 11/07/2022. The contest with URI will be the Panthers's ninth game in the facility. GSU played their first eight games at home before playing their last two games at Northeastern and Auburn. The new home for GSU hoops has thus far not resulted in big attendance numbers as the team has averaged only 1,796 ytd. The game with cross town Ga Tech of the ACC was their highest attended game at just 4,083.

Actually, looks a little like the RC.
I was thinking the same thing!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The game will be played at their new 7,500 seat on campus Georgia State Convocation Center arena. The venue is nearly double the capacity of their former home. The first regular season game ever in their new arena was played against Coastal Carolina on 11/07/2022. The contest with URI will be the Panthers's ninth game in the facility. GSU played their first eight games at home before playing their last two games at Northeastern and Auburn. The new home for GSU hoops has thus far not resulted in big attendance numbers as the team has averaged only 1,796 ytd. The game with cross town Ga Tech of the ACC was their highest attended game at just 4,083.

Except they don’t have that area for media that takes up a lot of great seating potential and the black curtain :cry: :cry:
1 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Really curious to see how our team reacts away in Atlanta.

They seem very athletic and hit the offensive glass, getting 2nd and 3rd opportunities.

If we can do that, limit our turnovers and fouls, plus moving the ball taking good shots, we have a chance.

Especially if they’re without Bilau.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Really curious to see how our team reacts away in Atlanta.

I wasn't at the game and didn't see where he hurt himself.
Also, how was he walking around afterward?
You would think if there was something serious it would have been mentioned by now.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

You would think if there was something serious it would have been mentioned by now.
He already had a lingering ankle injury…aggravated it during the game. Couldn’t put much weight on it. I’ll actually be surprised to see him out there today based on his reaction during the game.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He already had a lingering ankle injury…aggravated it during the game. Couldn’t put much weight on it. I’ll actually be surprised to see him out there today based on his reaction during the game.
He looked to be in a lot of pain when he came off the floor and walked along the sideline back to the URI bench.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

He looked to be in a lot of pain when he came off the floor and walked along the sideline back to the URI bench.
Thanks for the info.
If it is a high ankle sprain, he could be out for a while.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Also, if Bilau is out, maybe that would give Rory an opportunity to see some action.
1 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

NC_Ram wrote: 1 year ago
You might want to leave now to make tipoff. Traffic there is worse than LA. If you haven't ever toured the Fox theatre it's worth the effort to get there!
I previously lived in Atlanta for over 30 years my friend. I know ATL traffic quite well. Go Rhody
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BruceW wrote: 1 year ago
NC_Ram wrote: 1 year ago
I previously lived in Atlanta for over 30 years my friend. I know ATL traffic quite well. Go Rhody
traffic will not be bad being a Sunday and Falcons are at New Orleans in an interesting game where Rookie Ridder from Cincinnati has been provided the starting QB slot by Arthur Smith (Marcus M left the team when word reached him of being benched)

Bruce,
Where did you move to after leaving Atlanta?
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Except they don’t have that area for media that takes up a lot of great seating potential and the black curtain :cry: :cry:

BINGO

The most idiotic thing that’s easily correctable yet they don’t correct it

So stupid w the black shower curtain as if our media presence is so large that we.have to keep them
Off the baselines

My goodness what a stupid ass section

Been saying it for years
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Thanks for the info.
If it is a high ankle sprain, he could be out for a while.
I thought it was his ankle too. Then I saw him on the bench with an ice pack on his knee. Although it's possible that could just be normal maintenance.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 1 year ago

BINGO

The most idiotic thing that’s easily correctable yet they don’t correct it

So stupid w the black shower curtain as if our media presence is so large that we.have to keep them
Off the baselines

My goodness what a stupid ass section

Been saying it for years
I agree. It make no sense to me. Giving up a lot of prime real estate.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

And directly across from our bench - disgusting
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

This was from the last game. Unless this is outdated.

0 x
GO RAMS
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

I'm surprised to see GA St as just a 2 pt favorite at home, so Vegas is seeing this as basically a pick em. I have only seen GA St play against Auburn and it looked liked they have a competitive team, especially their guard play. Winning on the road is going to be a challenge all season for this URI team so the line seems a bit suspicious. Would love to see URI come out and play with purpose and limit the turnovers as this seems to be a winnable game.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

If anyone is looking for a place to watch, The Mews is having a customer appreciation day. $4 pints all day, raffles of Pats tix, giveaways etc.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Exciting FIFA final. Wow! Time to get ready for some Rhody b-ball.

Go Rhody!!!
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

4083 for Georgia Tech? I know Georgia Tech isn't what they used to be, but you had an ACC school in your new gym and you couldn't pull out more of your own fans and/or some fans from a school who's gym is under 3 miles from yours? Putrid
I mean Georgia Tech has been pretty awful for years now. One good season since 2010 and they suck again this year.

Georgia Tech has practically lost their entire fanbase because they've been awful at football and basketball for the better part of a decade. Then you have UGA competing for titles in football every year.
On Saturday Nov 12 in downtown Atlanta:

Attendance / Event:
4,000 - 7pm - Georgia State hosted Georgia Tech Basketball
34,000 - 3:30pm Georgia Tech hosted Miami Football
50,000 ??? Estimate - 6pm - Mercedes Benz Stadium - Chris Stapleton, Miranda Lambert, Dwight Yoakam
I'm pessimistic about the Dwight Yoakam numbers.
0 x